[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] UW-Madison Preview  (Read 10692 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] UW-Madison Preview
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 11:29:03 AM »
I can't believe that no one has mentioned #2 scorer Khalil Iverson leaving in this thread.  Happ leaving is one thing, losing him and Iverson is something tougher.  Aleem Ford will have to take a big step up, as well as Reuvers for them to again be dangerous.  I think that Kobe King starts.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »
I can't believe that no one has mentioned #2 scorer Khalil Iverson leaving in this thread.  Happ leaving is one thing, losing him and Iverson is something tougher.  Aleem Ford will have to take a big step up, as well as Reuvers for them to again be dangerous.  I think that Kobe King starts.

+1

He was so good down the stretch when no one else (aside from Happ) could be counted on to score. I haven't seen him discussed much but think he's almost as big a loss as Happ simply because it leaves them with no proven, reliable scorer.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
Happ kept staying in school and I was fed by Wisconsin media it was so he could develop for the next level.  Greg Gard did zero for getting his game ready for the next level.  It was laughable when it was suggested and laughable looking back on it.

Player development doesn't always include "getting ready for the next level". Player development also includes improving your game to be a productive player in college. I'm not sure who you were reading but not being able to shoot the "3" consistently these days, pretty much dooms a "big" from not playing in the NBA.  Achieving All-American status as a "3-star" recruit is the very definition of player development.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
While some people don't think Gard is in Bo's class in terms of "player development", exhibit "A" would be Happ. While his shooting "skills" were lacking (obviously), his low post game allowed him to achieve All-American status.

Did Happ really improve all that much at UW?  I mean sure he was better, but was that due to Gard "developing" him, or was it simply due to experience?  He wasn't all that much different as a senior than he was the previous two years.  He improved at passing, but was no better at shooting, rebounding or turning the ball over.

Player development doesn't always include "getting ready for the next level". Player development also includes improving your game to be a productive player in college. I'm not sure who you were reading but not being able to shoot the "3" consistently these days, pretty much dooms a "big" from not playing in the NBA.  Achieving All-American status as a "3-star" recruit is the very definition of player development.

Not really.  He could have just been an underrated recruit.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »

If Gard isn’t developing guys for the next level, why is he recruiting 5 stars?  It’s a waste of time.  And I read Tom Oates and he tells me Gard and Wisconsin develop guys for the NBA
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 08:23:42 PM »
If Gard isn’t developing guys for the next level, why is he recruiting 5 stars?  It’s a waste of time.  And I read Tom Oates and he tells me Gard and Wisconsin develop guys for the NBA

I know you're focused on player development equating to "playing in the NBA". That's great but improving and developing your game to be a productive college player fits the definition as well.

UW's program with few exceptions (Sam Dekker) recruits very few 5 star  recruits. Tom Oates presumably was referring to Kaminsky when he referenced developing 'guys for the NBA'. Kaminsky came in as an "unheralded" 3 star recruit and was a first round NBA draft choice.

UW's program, somewhat atypically, is a "player development" program even though that definition doesn't HAVE to include the NBA. How else do you account for the program's consistent success over the last 20+ years? To achieve that success, identifying and developing talent is of paramount importance.   

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:54 AM »
Nov. 17 could be a long day in Madison for the Badgers.

Go Warriors!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
Nov. 17 could be a long day in Madison for the Badgers.

Go Warriors!

It's Sunday Funday!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »
Did Happ really improve all that much at UW?  I mean sure he was better, but was that due to Gard "developing" him, or was it simply due to experience?  He wasn't all that much different as a senior than he was the previous two years.  He improved at passing, but was no better at shooting, rebounding or turning the ball over.

...and, I think heading into junior year there was a bunch of talk re: a 3-point game.. he hadn't tried one in years 1 and 2... goes 1-11 as a junior... 0-5 as a senior. Couldn't get that - or no matta FTs so bad that they did matta - figured out at all, even though they tried.

#ExtendGard (nh)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2019, 06:34:46 AM »

On the menu today, Badger roadkill.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.