[Today at 12:29:26 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by rocky_warrior
[Today at 12:26:02 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Folks in Sales?  (Read 3512 times)

reinko

• All American
Any Folks in Sales?
« on: August 24, 2019, 06:17:49 PM »
Hello Scoop!
The Reinko family recently moved to a new part of the country, and I recently took a new job in sales.  I have 10+ years in non profit fundraising and partnership management, so I think many of those skills will be transferable.

The good thing, is I know the product (educational tech software) very well, as the org I used to work at used it for 6+ years and I deeply believe in the power of it and it’s usefulness to the market.  My former employer was actually the very first customer of this company I will be working at.

Working commission is new to me, but they offered a solid base salary, and 10% commission.  Would love any tips, things to look out for, or or just general advice as I begin this new career path.

Thanks!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Any Folks in Sales?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
Since you know the product, the only thing you need is people/communication skills. I don't know you, but from your posts, I think you'll be OK

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
Don’t work in sales but if you’re traveling a lot and you have to cover the cost of some/all expenses make sure they let you submit them and reimburse you while they deduct the expenses from your commissions. Otherwise you’ll be making (just an example) $100K for tax purposes but spending $20K on travel to work, so really making only $80K. That way you’re only being taxed on the $80K.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 06:35:38 PM »
Hello Scoop!
The Reinko family recently moved to a new part of the country, and I recently took a new job in sales.  I have 10+ years in non profit fundraising and partnership management, so I think many of those skills will be transferable.

The good thing, is I know the product (educational tech software) very well, as the org I used to work at used it for 6+ years and I deeply believe in the power of it and it’s usefulness to the market.  My former employer was actually the very first customer of this company I will be working at.

Working commission is new to me, but they offered a solid base salary, and 10% commission.  Would love any tips, things to look out for, or or just general advice as I begin this new career path.

Thanks!

Keep your chin up, not easy and there will days or weeks or months that you want to scream.  Stick to it....it will pay out.  Your setup is better than 100% commission....those jobs are brutal.

Don’t forget those that bought from you, check in on them a lot, even if they won’t be buying from you again for a long time.  Assuming your clients are B to B types, also make sure to understand who else is part of the buying decision in the event your buyer leaves, you want a relationship with his/her boss and those working for the buyer. 

Never discuss politics.  Play it straight.

Best of luck, you will be fine. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 07:46:58 PM »
Listen much more than you speak.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 09:09:13 PM »
With the exception of MUdish, turd posts

Learn how to “sell from the right”.  As corny as it sounds, Dale Carnegie has some great sales strategies. It’s about asking about needs, and responding with empathy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »
With the exception of MUdish, turd posts

Learn how to “sell from the right”.  As corny as it sounds, Dale Carnegie has some great sales strategies. It’s about asking about needs, and responding with empathy.

In other words, people/communication skills.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 03:06:06 AM »
50% commission

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
Always be closing
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
If it's outside sales you've gotta get in with the gatekeeper. Bring an extra coffee for the secretary, tell them about the product to make them feel like they're part of the final decision because you never know how tight they are to the final DM.

Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:17:53 AM »
Listen much more than you speak.
Strongly agree with this.  Additionally, my perspective is always that I am there to solve business issues, not sell them something.  I think this is much harder if, as it sounds, you are selling a single suite of products (rather than a whole array of solutions).  However, if your product does not solve a current need, still create a good relationship and don't push it; there is a great chance that somewhere down the road they will need your solution.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
Work from the bottom to the top and the top to the bottom.
Your sales call starts in the parking lot.  Someone is watching you the whole way.
Take care of the people who get you to the people who make decisions.
Be a consultant, a trusted advisor.
Your product is not the only one on the market.  Know your competition as well as you know your own product.  Never slag the competition.
3 things... max 4.   I once developed a 7 point sales pitch and it was too much.  You're lucky if the smartest customer remembers 3.
Never use powerpoint or a projector/screen.  If you're making a pitch, print a pitch book.  Customer can write his/her notes on it and it stays with them.
The price never, ever goes up once the negotiation starts.
The negotiation already started

Good luck.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 11:24:58 AM »
Don’t work in sales but if you’re traveling a lot and you have to cover the cost of some/all expenses make sure they let you submit them and reimburse you while they deduct the expenses from your commissions. Otherwise you’ll be making (just an example) $100K for tax purposes but spending $20K on travel to work, so really making only $80K. That way you’re only being taxed on the $80K.

I am pretty darn sure that if your W-2 is for the $100K,  those travel costs would be considered unreimbursed expenses, which can be deducted off of your tax return so that you are only paying taxes on the $80K either way.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
Depending on your product, getting in front of the right person may be more, less, or as important as the "pitch." 

There are thousands of books out there about "getting in the door."  Pick one or several, and tailor it to your personality/product. 

As far as your pitch, forget the books.  Focus on knowing your product, first.  Don't worry about your technique; your first several calls are going to be massive failures anyway.  But if you can demonstrate that you know what you're talking about and you've anticipated every possible question someone asks of you, each one of those failures is going to be calling you first the next time their current vendor fu@ks up.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »
Work from the bottom to the top and the top to the bottom.
Your sales call starts in the parking lot.  Someone is watching you the whole way.
Take care of the people who get you to the people who make decisions.
Be a consultant, a trusted advisor.
Your product is not the only one on the market.  Know your competition as well as you know your own product.  Never slag the competition.
3 things... max 4.   I once developed a 7 point sales pitch and it was too much.  You're lucky if the smartest customer remembers 3.
Never use powerpoint or a projector/screen.  If you're making a pitch, print a pitch book.  Customer can write his/her notes on it and it stays with them.
The price never, ever goes up once the negotiation starts.
The negotiation already started

Good luck.

Power point worked four Woj doe
, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »
I am pretty darn sure that if your W-2 is for the $100K,  those travel costs would be considered unreimbursed expenses, which can be deducted off of your tax return so that you are only paying taxes on the $80K either way.

Just used some round numbers to make it an easy example, but I'm sure you are right.  If it's a potential issue for him maybe he can PM you to see where the income and expenses might make a difference.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
It’s a numbers game, gonna have to make lots and lots of calls.  Don’t get discouraged.  Keep calling.

cinbog

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »
Unreimbursed employee business expenses no longer tax deductible, eliminated starting with 2018 tax returns.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
Unreimbursed employee business expenses no longer tax deductible, eliminated starting with 2018 tax returns.

For the most part true, including general sales people, but there are some exceptions as some of my artistic pals are aware.

Why have the exceptions? Shrug
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 12:02:33 PM »
For the most part true, including general sales people, but there are some exceptions as some of my artistic pals are aware.

Because artistic performers provide meaningful value to society despite the two-drink minimum.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »
JB's point is a good one.  If you are an independent contractor and set up an LLC, you can deduct business expenses that aren't reimbursed by your client.  But if you are an employee, and those expenses are required for you to do your job, you can no longer deduct them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »

Most strippers are independent contractors.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 06:21:24 AM »
Hey Scoop,
Checking back in, and the first 4 months have been like drinking thru a fire hose, but really really good so far.

Key lessons from above most definitely include listening more than talking, trying to solve problems, not sell something, volume-volume-volume...

My pitch has gotten pretty strong, and being a former a customer of the product I’m selling/plus authentically knowing pain points has been a real plus.

Still adapting to a competitive but supportive sales office environment, and learning all of our systems (Marketo, Salesforce, SalesLoft...), but that will just comes with time.

Excited to have an awesome looking pipeline for Q1, thanks all!

And if anyone is in the market for an AI-powered SMS-texting solution for your college, non-profit or school, I’m your guy  ;D