collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Random Organizational Best Practice question  (Read 3178 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Random Organizational Best Practice question
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »
Random question....how do people organize their electronic calendars? By that I mean, I have outlook for work, gmail for personal(both wife and I) and it's really getting to the point where I need to have some sort of single calendar that I can see and my wife. Ideally I'd like to be able to feed my work calendar to the merged calendar and then input events/activities/etc to the universal calendar where both my wife and I can see what the hell we are doing.

Thoughts?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Random Organizational Best Practice question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:21:14 PM »
Random question....how do people organize their electronic calendars? By that I mean, I have outlook for work, gmail for personal(both wife and I) and it's really getting to the point where I need to have some sort of single calendar that I can see and my wife. Ideally I'd like to be able to feed my work calendar to the merged calendar and then input events/activities/etc to the universal calendar where both my wife and I can see what the hell we are doing.

Thoughts?

That's exactly what I do. I have my work outlook on my personal cell where my Gmail calendar is. They automatically merge on my Google calendar app. Wife has access to the Gmail so it's all in 1 place.

Though if I only look at my work outlook calendar (business computer, for example), I miss all the personal stuff.

But 99% of the time, I'm looking at my phone anyway.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »
That's exactly what I do. I have my work outlook on my personal cell where my Gmail calendar is. They automatically merge on my Google calendar app. Wife has access to the Gmail so it's all in 1 place.

Though if I only look at my work outlook calendar (business computer, for example), I miss all the personal stuff.

But 99% of the time, I'm looking at my phone anyway.

OK, so do you have to be logged into the work outlook in the app on the phone? And I had the damnedest time getting my wife's google calendar to sync with mine
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »
OK, so do you have to be logged into the work outlook in the app on the phone? And I had the damnedest time getting my wife's google calendar to sync with mine

If I'm understanding your queation, you need to sync your Outlook calendar with your phone app.
Like Jesu, my work (Outlook) calendar syncs with my phone's calendar app, so I see both my work and personal (Google) calendar when I open the app.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »

Thoughts?

I use one calendar - i consolidate everything on Outlook. theBabyDavid's mother is a MSFT person so I have little choice but it works for us. We also get tech support from MSFT (i e she calls the internal help desk and they sort out any issues) so there is zero friction for us as users.

My best possible advice is to use just one calendar.

One important consideration is to make sure that your productivity tools integrate with whatever calendar you use.

Our team switched recently from Skype/Teams to Cisco WebEx and the integration of that tool into Outlook has been seamless. theBabyDavid's mother didn't like us defecting but she recognizes that Teams isn't as robust as WebEx.

The only caution since you are a Naval Aviation puke: if your wife has your calendar credentials and you have a mistress make sure that your extracurricular activities are "coded"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
I keep everything on my work calendar, I just have personal appointments set to private. Mrs TAMU is also a university employee so I can share my calendar with her.

I also mark all the MU games on my calendar and set them to private. #priorities
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »

Thoughts?

One word.  Retirement.   ;)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »

Thoughts?

Same problem. Jes offers the only solution I’ve used that actually works.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 07:41:30 PM »

So prescient.

Of course, in retirement, we'd like have the reverse problem: We want no family to know where we are.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »
Go ta yo neighborhood Ace Hardware store 'round da Holidaze. Dey hand out reely nice free paper calendars. Grab a #2 pencil and both y'all rite down yo chit on da month at a glance calendar. Works like a hot nife thru butta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 09:25:52 PM »

All for it if you can float me for the next 30 years

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 06:23:55 AM »
Just tell the old lady you'll be home when you're home, have dinner ready, and to ignore the perfume and glitter, eh?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
Go ta yo neighborhood Ace Hardware store 'round da Holidaze. Dey hand out reely nice free paper calendars. Grab a #2 pencil and both y'all rite down yo chit on da month at a glance calendar. Works like a hot nife thru butta, hey?

The man's in Wisconsin, Doc. Doesn't Milwaukee Power Tools put out a tastefully done wall calendar that any man would be proud to have on the wall, hey?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
I use one calendar - i consolidate everything on Outlook. theBabyDavid's mother is a MSFT person so I have little choice but it works for us. We also get tech support from MSFT (i e she calls the internal help desk and they sort out any issues) so there is zero friction for us as users.

My best possible advice is to use just one calendar.

One important consideration is to make sure that your productivity tools integrate with whatever calendar you use.

Our team switched recently from Skype/Teams to Cisco WebEx and the integration of that tool into Outlook has been seamless. theBabyDavid's mother didn't like us defecting but she recognizes that Teams isn't as robust as WebEx.

The only caution since you are a Naval Aviation puke: if your wife has your calendar credentials and you have a mistress make sure that your extracurricular activities are "coded"

Skype sucks balls so much....ugh.  We also switched to WebEx, huge improvement
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
The man's in Wisconsin, Doc. Doesn't Milwaukee Power Tools put out a tastefully done wall calendar that any man would be proud to have on the wall, hey?

They used to, butt wit thin's sew pc, gotta figure dat went da wey of da buffalo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 11:07:09 AM »
Funny to see some organizations are still using Outlook & WebEx. I must live in a tech company bubble.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »

They used to, butt wit thin's sew pc, gotta figure dat went da wey of da buffalo, hey?

An Air Force fighter squadron hangar used to be a shrine, Doc. No more.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
My wife and I use our church calendar fastened to our cork board in the kitchen.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
Whiteboard calendar in the kitchen!

Technology at it's finest.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 12:37:30 PM »
My wife and I use our church calendar fastened to our cork board in the kitchen.

Your church gives out power tool calendars?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Your church gives out power tool calendars?

JC was a carpenter,  aina.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »
Whiteboard calendar in the kitchen!

Technology at it's finest.

Yeah, since we're almost never home whiteboard in the kitchen is......suboptimal.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 01:54:53 PM »
Yeah, since we're almost never home whiteboard in the kitchen is......suboptimal.

Especially with that hole punched in the middle of it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 02:51:20 PM »
Especially with that hole punched in the middle of it.

You win today
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.