[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Disappointing MU players since 2000.  (Read 17581 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Most Disappointing MU players since 2000.
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2019, 08:21:45 AM »
I don't think Herman means they don't deserve respect, only that given their age, experience, control and compensation they are subject to scrutiny and criticism that (in his opinion) players aren't. Agree or disagree, it's not unreasonable.

I agree with the idea that coaches should be under way more scrutiny than the players, but I completely disagree with Herman's assertion that "there is no such thing as a disappointing player," and that  "All these kids work their a&*sses off to be the best they can be."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »

I agree with the idea that coaches should be under way more scrutiny than the players, but I completely disagree with Herman's assertion that "there is no such thing as a disappointing player," and that  "All these kids work their a&*sses off to be the best they can be."

Sums up where I am on this, too.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »
It saddens me to see Chartouny's name on so many of these lists.  Personally  I never had big expectations for him based on everything I read at the time of his transfer, and to their credit, I don't recall the MU Athletics Press Staff making THAT big of a deal about it either.  At least that was my interpretation.  Of course they had to issue a release with the usual obligatory quotes from the head coach about what a fine young man he is, his impressive stats and distinguished career at another Jesuit D1 institution, but admittedly in a much less competitive conference, and how much his experience will help our younger players blah blah blah.   

From my vantage point, Joe was an experienced and intelligent back up player who performed his duties as well as expected.  As with everyone, he had some really solid games and a few duds.   If nothing else, he proved that he could hold his own on the court and that there was a meaningful, if not impactful, role for him to play on a high major D1 roster.   If one were to ask him, was transferring to a high major D1 program for that PG year worth it, there's no doubt he would say yes absolutely!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
Buzz did a great job of getting Jucos and other transfers.  That was his legacy at MU.
Buzz's real forte was riding a Texas longhorn and screaming "yippie kye yeh"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »

Due to hype and then being very meh would be Jamil

I just can't include Jamil in the disappointing ratings because while the stats we're certainly below expectations, he was part of a great Elite 8 run. Everyone seems so sour on the year after, but Derrick was asked to change from defensive stopper to floor general - which let defenses double with Jamil or someone else,.the schedule was set up before knowing such a key player would bail etc. I just always felt like Jamil and his classmates should have been celebrated for the elite 8 and instead it seemed like many said they were happy to see them go with the "what have you done for me lately?" Approach.

Jamil also did only score a couple a game that freshman yr at Oregon, so I did t have the same expectations I would have had if he came to MU as a freshman.

Just my (likely minority).opinion.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

feedback