'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Three Man Weave Season Preview  (Read 14334 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Three Man Weave Season Preview
« on: August 01, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/marquette-preview-2020

They usually do a more in depth analysis than most, and it's no different this year.  Like some here, thought we were overrated prior to Hausergate, and are now underrated.  Pointed out that both Sacar and Bailey came on strong down the stretch.  Think JJ will play a big role, and threw out the twin towers idea that most won't be convinced of until one of them shows an ability to hit a shot from more than 5 feet out.  Overall good analysis.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:27:22 AM by Its DJOver »

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Three Man Weave Season Preview
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:16:58 AM »
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/marquette-preview-2020

They usually do a more in depth analysis than most, and it's no different this year.  Like some here, thought we were overrated prior to Hausergate, and are now underrated.  Pointed out that both Sacar and Bailey came on strong down the stretch.  Think JJ will play a big role, and threw out the twin towers idea that most won't be convinced of until one of them shows an ability to hit a shot from more than 5 feet out.  Overall good analysis.

Solid article.  My question about it is how they think we're overrated but rate us at 32.  I think that's right around where most places seem to think we'll be...a back end top 25 team or just outside of the top 25.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »
The team/lineup summary table really got my attention.

MU's offense was clearly far more productive with Sam and Joey on the court together (1.07 points per possession) than with other lineups (0.98). Without the Hausers, 3-point field goal percentage dropped from 41.6% to 35.7%, turnover percentage ticked up from 17.3% to 19.5% and free throw rate declined from 37% to 33%.

Sure looks like bad news heading into the 2019-20 season. Every reason for pessimism, right?

However...

MU's defense was also clearly better without the Hausers (a stifling 0.89 PPP) than it was with them (0.95 ppp). MU's already impressive 3-point field goal defense improved slightly (from 32.7% to 32.0%). But the big difference was in forcing turnovers. With the Hausers: 14.3 TO%. Without the Hausers: 17.4% TO%.

When you look at differentials (offensive PPP minus defensive PPP):

With the Hausers: +0.12 PPP (1.07 - 0.95)
Without the Hausers: +0.09 PPP (0.98 - 0.89)

Still a drop-off, for sure. But far from a wonder-if-we'll-even-win-8-games-in-conference-let-alone-make-the-tournament-Wojo-is-cooked scenario. That still looks like a team that could easily finish top 3 or 4 in the Big East.

Plus...

That differential doesn't take into account any off-season improvement by the returning players: Markus, Sacar, Theo, Brendan, Jamal and Ed.

Plus...

That differential doesn't take into account any new additions to the playing roster: Koby McEwen, Jayce Johnson, Greg Elliott, Ike Eke, Symir Torrence and Dexter Akanno.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new pieces fit together in person on Saturday. There are a lot of question marks. But I don't think the team's floor is as low as some of the predictions (come on, 7th in the Big East, really?). And its ceiling could be just as high as last season (with an outside chance at a Big East title if the cards fall the right way).

Great article. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 04:11:58 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
My hope is that the newcomers defensive abilities are going to be enough to overcome the drop in offense.  Especially Koby, who I think is going to be able to score.  Not at a Sam-like level, but enough.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 11:45:37 AM »
Solid article.  My question about it is how they think we're overrated but rate us at 32.  I think that's right around where most places seem to think we'll be...a back end top 25 team or just outside of the top 25.

The guy that actually wrote it had us 19th, it was the other two putting us 39th and 40th that killed the average. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 11:53:55 AM »
I liked the Bottom Line
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
Ranking not too hot as we enter the Duke prodigy's 6th year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
I know I'm captain of the SS Optimism normally, but I still have a pretty bullish view on the team this year. This team will look very different stylistically this year, it'll be an 80's Big East kind of throwback team. They will be about hardnose defense and a lot of slashing with some kicking when necessary (namely Corner Sacar, Howard from anywhere in the half court, and Koby). I think this will be the toughest team under Wojo, it'll just be a matter of whether or not a slashing team can still succeed in modern college basketball of spread and shoot.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 01:03:57 PM »
I know I'm captain of the SS Optimism normally, but I still have a pretty bullish view on the team this year. This team will look very different stylistically this year, it'll be an 80's Big East kind of throwback team. They will be about hardnose defense and a lot of slashing with some kicking when necessary (namely Corner Sacar, Howard from anywhere in the half court, and Koby). I think this will be the toughest team under Wojo, it'll just be a matter of whether or not a slashing team can still succeed in modern college basketball of spread and shoot.

Also I'm looking for Bailey to being a big part of our 3pt offence.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »

Also I'm looking for Bailey to being a big part of our 3pt offence.

Yup.  I think if one of Koby, Greg, Sacar, Brendan, and Jamal are very good three point shooters and a second is a solid three point shooter, both on 4+ attempts per game from 3, this team will be a top 10 team.

There aren't going to be many back courts better than Markus, Koby, and Sacar being backed up by Symir and Greg in the country, and guards win in basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »

I've been thinking for a while now that maybe MU fans have a warped perspective on college basketball offenses just from watching our own team the last few years.

Last year, MU scored 36.4% of their points from 3. That ranked as the #68 highest in the country out of 353 teams.

Here are the top 4 seeds from the tournament last year:

Duke - 26.5/310
Gonzaga - 26.5/309
UNC - 30.3/224
Virginia - 35.5/89
Kentucky - 23/342
Tennessee - 26.1/314
Michigan - 33.4/129
Michigan St - 31.6/188
LSU - 25.2/328
Tex Tech - 30.1/230
Houston - 35.8/77
Purdue - 39.7/18
Kansas - 28.6/261
Florida St - 29.4/249
Kansas St - 32.3/166
Virginia Tech - 38.1/40

So yes, I think a slashing team can still win. As long as they do it efficiently.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
Also here are MU's numbers and rank with/without the Hausers.

With:
FT: 19.9% - 114
2FG: 43.7% - 321
3FG: 36.4% - 68

Without:
FT: 21.1% - 57
2FG: 47.7% - 222
3FG: 31.1% - 199

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
MU will be a better overall team this year.
1. More Athletic Lineup
2. Better team chemistry

I expect Markus to have a monster year. Everyone else will be delighted to get more playing time .

All that said, our record may not be as good because the Big East as a whole is going to be much stronger.

MU should be able to get 3rd in the league and make it to the second weekend of the tournament.

---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 07:56:22 PM »
1. More Athletic Lineup
2. Better team chemistry

I expect Markus to have a monster year. Everyone else will be delighted to get more playing time .

All that said, our record may not be as good because the Big East as a whole is going to be much stronger.

MU should be able to get 3rd in the league and make it to the second weekend of the tournament.
And your wet fantasy of Wojo being poached will be closer and Stan will be the man!!
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »
And your wet fantasy of Wojo being poached will be closer and Stan will be the man!!
My wet fantasy involves Raquel Welch and Ann-Margret
            ---Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »
"the Milwaukee faithful won’t be satisfied until the Golden Eagles can muster a deep run in March. Those Sweet-16 and Elite-8 trips at the end of the Buzz Williams era are still top of mind for this hungry fanbase, and will continue to haunt Wojo until he finally makes it out of the first round"

Yep. But it's a crapshoot anyway.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »
1. More Athletic Lineup
2. Better team chemistry

I love the enthusiasm Herm!  Hope this happens.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
Bailey needs to decide if he's going to be Jimmy Butler or Jamil Wilson. 
I think his ceiling is Butler-esque but he's gotta show some toughness.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »

Yep "The Fighting Mormon".  Maybe TJ can help with the facial expressions.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »
Jamil’s problem wasn’t lack of toughness.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
Jamil might have thrived more at MU with different players around him. His senior year, the offense was very half-court oriented, well suited to Davante's incredibly efficient post-up game. But while Jamil's offense never quite seemed to gel, he was a very versatile defender, a strong rebounder for his size (18.3 DRB% as a senior) and an excellent passer (19.3 AST%).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »

nm
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:56:17 PM by Lennys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »

Wish it were as easy as that. So far he hasn't "decided" to be close to Jamil or in the same universe as JFB.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 12:23:43 AM »
Wish it were as easy as that. So far he hasn't "decided" to be close to Jamil or in the same universe as JFB.

Well he's had one year after two years off. Maybe give him a sophomore year or at least a foreign trip before writing him off
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 02:59:23 AM »

He was pretty close to Jamil's first year at Oregon and I would say in the same universe as JFB's first year in blue and gold. Jamil and JFB definitely had better first years but I don't think it's by that much.

JFB: 19.6 mpg, 5.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.7 bpg for 6 seed
JW: 16.9 mpg, 4.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.5 bpg for team that missed the NIT
BB: 14.1 mpg, 3.2 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.5 bpg for 5 seed

To be clear, I'm not saying Bailey will be better than or even as good as JWil or JFB. Or even close to them for that matter. I'm just suggesting that we shouldn't compare his freshman year to their senior years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 12:10:09 PM »
, I'm not saying Bailey will be better than or even as good as JWil or JFB.
[/quote]

Much as I loved JFB, I hope Brendan will be better.

I had the feeling that Sacar shot better later in the year, but I was surprised to see he did 43% in conference.
Nice article, thanks for posting, but to call Chartouney a key loss is being overly kind.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
I think Bailey and Cain should be firmly planted in the corners more often than not, and let both crash the boards hard.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 05:34:05 PM »
, I'm not saying Bailey will be better than or even as good as JWil or JFB.

Much as I loved JFB, I hope Brendan will be better.

I had the feeling that Sacar shot better later in the year, but I was surprised to see he did 43% in conference.
Nice article, thanks for posting, but to call Chartouney a key loss is being overly kind.
Chardonnay missing the layup at Creighton.....allowing more time to come off the clock......then putting it back to close the deficit to 3, will be his greatest contribution this past season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »
Chardonnay missing the layup at Creighton.....allowing more time to come off the clock......then putting it back to close the deficit to 3, will be his greatest contribution this past season.

"My team won because I screwed up terribly" isn't something a ton of guys can say, but re: that game, he can. Legend!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 08:02:37 PM »
He was pretty close to Jamil's first year at Oregon and I would say in the same universe as JFB's first year in blue and gold. Jamil and JFB definitely had better first years but I don't think it's by that much.

JFB: 19.6 mpg, 5.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.7 bpg for 6 seed
JW: 16.9 mpg, 4.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.5 bpg for team that missed the NIT
BB: 14.1 mpg, 3.2 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.5 bpg for 5 seed

To be clear, I'm not saying Bailey will be better than or even as good as JWil or JFB. Or even close to them for that matter. I'm just suggesting that we shouldn't compare his freshman year to their senior years.

Fair enough, but but JFB was 3+ months YOUNGER his senior year than Brendan was his freshman year.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
But Bailey also hadn't played competitive basketball in over two years.  That being said, if he becomes anything like JFB, I would be absolutely thrilled...and surprised.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
Fair enough, but but JFB was 3+ months YOUNGER his senior year than Brendan was his freshman year.

That is a good point. Bailey definitely has an advantage there.

But just to check if I'm remembering this correctly, didn't you and I have a similar conversation about comparing Markus Howard's scoring with George Thompson's scoring? Didn't you say that it shouldn't matter that Markus was years younger than Thompson?
TAMU

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
Wee all talkin' 'bout da same Brendan Bailey dat wuz on MU's roster last season? Didn't sea know  JFB in 'im, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 08:19:18 PM »
Wee all talkin' 'bout da same Brendan Bailey dat wuz on MU's roster last season? Didn't sea know  JFB in 'im, hey?

Well during JFB's freshman year at MU, he was pretty much an all effort guy who could defend and rebound.  Not much scoring ability.  That pretty much is the same as what Bailey was.  So I could see a comparison...though not a perfect one.  Have to see how he develops obviously. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
Yeah butt, it wuz evident Butler drank Schlitz malt liquor. Pretty sure Bailey is a chardonnay kinda dude, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »
Yeah butt, it wuz evident Butler drank Schlitz malt liquor. Pretty sure Bailey is a chardonnay kinda dude, aina?

Given he was on a 2 year Mormon mission my guess is he’s not big on alcohol consumption...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »

I see the comparison on the defensive end. Their offensive games are very different. Oddly, I think Jamil isn't the worst offensive comparison to BB
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »

Well during JFB's freshman year at MU, he was pretty much an all effort guy who could defend and rebound.  Not much scoring ability.  That pretty much is the same as what Bailey was.  So I could see a comparison...though not a perfect one.  Have to see how he develops obviously.

Butler's first year at MU: Astoundingly high 131 ORtg; 51.4% eFG%; didn't shoot treys (0/4); great ability to draw fouls (4.7/40); excellent OR% of 12.7%

BB: 104; 41.6%; shot more treys than 2's; didn't draw many fouls (2.4/40); weak OR% of 6.5%

<shrug>

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »
Given he was on a 2 year Mormon mission my guess is he’s not big on alcohol consumption...

Good point Fo, eye'll auto-correct to seltzer water, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
Butler's first year at MU: Astoundingly high 131 ORtg; 51.4% eFG%; didn't shoot treys (0/4); great ability to draw fouls (4.7/40); excellent OR% of 12.7%

BB: 104; 41.6%; shot more treys than 2's; didn't draw many fouls (2.4/40); weak OR% of 6.5%

<shrug>

Thanks for the clarification.

“Relative low usage meant he didn’t have much impact on the offensive end” would have been a better statement.

And yeah I don’t think BB evolves into JFB.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

“Relative low usage meant he didn’t have much impact on the offensive end” would have been a better statement.

And yeah I don’t think BB evolves into JFB.

Let me put it a different way: when you said, "Butler was 'pretty much the same as Bailey'", the truth is that's an AWFUL offensive comparison.

"hi, player a doesn't shoot threes and draws a lot of contact. That's pretty much the same as taking mostly threes and not getting to the line much." --- StN boi

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
Let me put it a different way: when you said, "Butler was 'pretty much the same as Bailey'", the truth is that's an AWFUL offensive comparison.

Noted.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 08:49:22 PM »
That is a good point. Bailey definitely has an advantage there.

But just to check if I'm remembering this correctly, didn't you and I have a similar conversation about comparing Markus Howard's scoring with George Thompson's scoring? Didn't you say that it shouldn't matter that Markus was years younger than Thompson?

I don't recall that conversation TAMU (though I'm sure you're right), but George and Markus were both "young" for their class. They were both 17 when they arrived at Marquette. George turned 18 on November 29th of his freshman year, Markus in March of his freshman year. The fact that George a)didn't have several seasons of AAU/USA basketball experience during high school b)didn't get to play as a freshman, c) played without a shot clock, d) played without the 3 point shot e) played in a much shorter schedule and f) had a much lower usage % more than mitigate a few months difference in age.

With JFB and Brendan, the difference is 3 years 3 months.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 11:43:21 AM »
Previews now posted for several more Big East teams: #31 Providence, #19 Creighton and #18 Seton Hall.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/providence-preview-2020

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/creighton-preview-2020

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/seton-hall-preview-2020

Providence doesn't really worry me; I think the #31 ranking is quite generous. I'm not sure what Creighton's done to deserve top 20 standing, either. (Apparently the Jays were just unlucky in allowing opponents to shoot so well, rather than simply not being a very good defensive team.)

Seton Hall, on the other hand, could be even better than #18. Any team with Myles Powell has a chance to be very, very good. But with 3 seniors and 4 juniors, they also return a lot of experience (85% of their total minutes and 87.7% of their scoring, as noted in the preview). The biggest question might be whether Kevin Willard can get the most from all that talent.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
Previews now posted for several more Big East teams: #31 Providence, #19 Creighton and #18 Seton Hall.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/providence-preview-2020

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/creighton-preview-2020

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/seton-hall-preview-2020

Providence doesn't really worry me; I think the #31 ranking is quite generous. I'm not sure what Creighton's done to deserve top 20 standing, either. (Apparently the Jays were just unlucky in allowing opponents to shoot so well, rather than simply not being a very good defensive team.)

Seton Hall, on the other hand, could be even better than #18. Any team with Myles Powell has a chance to be very, very good. But with 3 seniors and 4 juniors, they also return a lot of experience (85% of their total minutes and 87.7% of their scoring, as noted in the preview). The biggest question might be whether Kevin Willard can get the most from all that talent.

I think if Holt is back healthy as you stated, PC will be significantly better. Creighton has some clouds over the program.  Hall returns a lot. I think Nova is a bit overrated and think Hall has to be the favorite.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
I don't get all the Creighton love. With Krampelj gone, they'll just be an amplified version of last year. They'll take and make a lot of threes, but won't be able to stop anyone. Anyone that can slow their offense down even marginally will beat them because they aren't stopping anyone at the other end.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
I don't get all the Creighton love. With Krampelj gone, they'll just be an amplified version of last year. They'll take and make a lot of threes, but won't be able to stop anyone. Anyone that can slow their offense down even marginally will beat them because they aren't stopping anyone at the other end.

They're also awfully small. 6'-5" 200 lb Mitch Ballock as your staring 4?  Only player taller than 6'-8" other than Epperson is a grad transfer from Idaho State.  Talk about betting on a mid major player to be a contributor.  Throw in 6'-7" 205 lb Christian Bishop and you have the only three players than can even pretend to low post players.  Losing Krampelj's 7 board per game may hurt more than his scoring.

Edit:  Looked up Jones advanced stats, and against Big Sky competition, he could only manage 20 mpg because of foul trouble, he fouled out of 13 games last year.  His 7.9 fouls per 40 was higher than Theo's against Beast competition. CU better work on their ft defense.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:08:17 PM by Its DJOver »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »
With Krampelj gone, they'll just be an amplified version of last year.

I know I won't miss him.

In the first meeting between MU and Creighton last season, the Big Kramp scored 19 points -- despite shooting just 3 for 8 from the field, 0 for 3 from beyond the arc. Instead, he got almost all his points from the line: 13 of 14. Also added 8 boards, a steal and a block.

Unfortunately for Martin Krampelj and the Jays, that was the game Markus achieved basketball nirvana -- scoring 53 points on 15-26 from the field (57.7%), 10-14 from 3 (71.4%!), 13-15 from the line (86.7%), plus 6 assists in a 106-104 OT win. Nice try, Martin.

Game two flipped the script, a 66-60 loss at home on March 3. Kramp again scored 19 on 8-13 shooting with 6 boards, 2 blocks and a steal. Somehow, against all odds, seemingly defying all reason, Creighton actually looked like a team that could play defense. What the...???

That was the second of four straight baffling MU losses; fans would only see one more win the rest of the season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
The team presents multiple threats and historically have moved the ball to the open man. Yes if they are all cold they can beat . However the sheer number of decent shooters makes it tough to crap them down totally.

Also I think observers are assuming a healthy Epperson and continued growth from Christian Bishop.

I enjoy watching Creighton games in general and really look forward to the Creighton MU games as they tend to be high scoring fun events.
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »
The team presents multiple threats and historically have moved the ball to the open man. Yes if they are all cold they can beat . However the sheer number of decent shooters makes it tough to crap them down totally.

Also I think observers are assuming a healthy Epperson and continued growth from Christian Bishop.

I enjoy watching Creighton games in general and really look forward to the Creighton MU games as they tend to be high scoring fun events.

I'm not saying they won't be fun or dangerous, but teams like that don't tend to be top-20 teams. They are 2017 and 2018 Marquette with less size. They might be a bubble team, but no way do I see them as a top-5 seed.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2019, 10:33:38 AM »
Xavier at #15? The same Xavier that went 1-9 against teams ranked in the KenPom Top 50 last season? Yes, they return a lot of talent. I expect they'll be better. But this feels like a big stretch.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/xavier-preview-2020

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2019, 10:42:58 AM »
You should see their fanbase right now. They seem convinced these kind of predictions are where they are at. After their European trip, it seemed like they were at the Big East title or bust level.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
Guess it's good to see respect for the Big East. Six teams in the Top 40 and four in the Top 25 (assuming Nova is in).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »
You should see their fanbase right now. They seem convinced these kind of predictions are where they are at. After their European trip, it seemed like they were at the Big East title or bust level.
Xavier looked very solid to me at the Big East tournament. There is a lot to like there.  4 solid starters returning (with Quentin Gooden now healthy which wasnt the case for most of last year). Two key grad transfers were able to work their way in during the foreign trip.  A very nice 5 man recruiting class that doesn't have to be rushed in too early .  The coaching staff has momentum.  All that said, I think the expectations surrounding them are going to be challenging given the very tough competition the Big East will provide this year.  So many quality teams in the league.
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2019, 01:01:39 PM »
Villanova just misses the Top 10, coming in at #11:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/villanova-preview-2020

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
This could be one of the youngest, least experienced Villanova teams Jay Wright has ever coached. The projected rotation for the Wildcats includes no seniors and just 3 juniors. Then again, the same was true of the team that won the 2017-18 national title.

The frontcourt boasts a lot of talent, size and depth. Returning forwards 6-7/220 Jermaine Samuels (20.0 DR%) and 6-9/226 Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree (19.1%) are strong defensive rebounders but have been largely roleplayers until now. Samuels and 6-8/220 Saddiq Bey fit more of a stretch forward role -- shooting 34.7% (33-95) and 37.4% (49-131) from beyond the arc, respectively.

Five-star 6-9/235 F Jeremiah Robinson-Earl looks like a total stud -- fast, strong, athletic, a good ballhandler and passer, at his best in transition, but doesn't show much of an outside game.

Where will freshman 6-7/275 F Eric Dixon fit in? He's a powerful presence on the blocks, incredibly strong and a relentless worker on the offensive boards. Throw in sophomores 6-10/210 Cole Swider and 6-7/205 Brandon Slater and Jay Wright will have plenty to work with inside.

The backcourt is the biggest question mark. Specifically, who's going to run the offense? 6-3 G Collin Gillespie had a strong freshman season, but didn't show signs of being a big distributor (18.9% ARate).

Could five-star 6-5/170 G Bryan Antoine take the lead? He's a dynamic scorer with all the athleticism and talent in the world. However, the fact that he's coming off shoulder surgery and may not be ready until the start of conference play could hinder how well he meshes with the offense -- at least early on.

With so little backcourt depth, top 75 recruit 6-4 G Justin Moore should see plenty of opportunities for playing time.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2019, 03:27:04 PM »
This could be one of the youngest, least experienced Villanova teams Jay Wright has ever coached. The projected rotation for the Wildcats includes no seniors and just 3 juniors. Then again, the same was true of the team that won the 2017-18 national title.

The frontcourt boasts a lot of talent, size and depth. Returning forwards 6-7/220 Jermaine Samuels (20.0 DR%) and 6-9/226 Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree (19.1%) are strong defensive rebounders but have been largely roleplayers until now. Samuels and 6-8/220 Saddiq Bey fit more of a stretch forward role -- shooting 34.7% (33-95) and 37.4% (49-131) from beyond the arc, respectively.

Five-star 6-9/235 F Jeremiah Robinson-Earl looks like a total stud -- fast, strong, athletic, a good ballhandler and passer, at his best in transition, but doesn't show much of an outside game.

Where will freshman 6-7/275 F Eric Dixon fit in? He's a powerful presence on the blocks, incredibly strong and a relentless worker on the offensive boards. Throw in sophomores 6-10/210 Cole Swider and 6-7/205 Brandon Slater and Jay Wright will have plenty to work with inside.

The backcourt is the biggest question mark. Specifically, who's going to run the offense? 6-3 G Collin Gillespie had a strong freshman season, but didn't show signs of being a big distributor (18.9% ARate).

Could five-star 6-5/170 G Bryan Antoine take the lead? He's a dynamic scorer with all the athleticism and talent in the world. However, the fact that he's coming off shoulder surgery and may not be ready until the start of conference play could hinder how well he meshes with the offense -- at least early on.

With so little backcourt depth, top 75 recruit 6-4 G Justin Moore should see plenty of opportunities for playing time.
Villanova will be very strong this year.  Ed Cooley got a good feel for a couple of their key  players  while coaching them at Pan Am games:
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58989.msg1150739#msg1150739
            ---Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/top-100-players-2020

No such thing as a perfect list, but there seem to be a lot of holes in this one, and not just the usual over-ranking of the top incoming Freshman.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2019, 11:54:48 AM »
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/big-east-preview-2020

I continue to think that they over-rank both CU, X, and now BU.  Under-rank SH and Gtown.  SH should be T1, and BU should be T3.  AE gets a nice shout out in DePaul's preview, and both DP and StJ are going to be bad.  Nothing earth shattering in the 4 new previews.

feedback