Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SI research report on Big East Pre Season Rankings 2019-20  (Read 14107 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: SI research report on Big East Pre Season Rankings 2019-20
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
A million chefs kisses
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
It is Scholls job to say good things about the people in his employ in the Athletic Department .  That is what a talented AD does . The good words come right until the end.

This is very true. If any school/administration was expressing any level of concern about it's head coach they would be complete amatures and idiots. No one on this board will ever know the true feelings about Wojo because MU's people are smart professionals that will only speak extremely highly of him.

There is a reason MU let Wojo run up close to the end of his last contract and only gave him a moderate extension. 

The "wins and losses don't matter" comments are completely untrue. Those who claim this are either disappointed with Wojo and frustrated with MU's lack of making a change or people who love to bash on MU and paint the people incharge as fools.

For the record, I like Wojo and am happy he was extended. I think the extension was appropriate for a coach who has shown promise but still has much to prove. The extension was in no way an attempt to "lock up" a great coach fo a long time.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
I am an "old timer" from the Al era but I agree that it is more than just a matter of decades- college basketball is different today. Just one example, sustained defense (Al's forte'),is much easier when you do not have to deal with a pesky 30 second shot clock. However, I also (for the most part) get what dgies is saying- let's never take our eyes off getting another Natty. The difference is that I get that it may take a long, long time so i will enjoy whatever success Marquette has on the court in the meantime. I may croak before Marquette wins another Natty.

Getting back to Al- my favorite Al quote (I may not have it perfectly) was his retort to LSU coach Maravich after he brushed off the importance of defense before the game with MU: "If you believe that, your ass is grassed and I'm your lawnmower".

I do not disagree with the notion that the world is different. But because the game is played differently, because the kids are more aggressively recruited and because information on great players is easier to come by doesn't mean Marquette can't be a perennial competitor for a natty. Everyone has down years and we will too, but the notion that we should accept consistent mediocrity because the 1970s happened a long time ago is something this wrinkled Warrior has trouble accepting.

Yeah, defenses are different. And the NBA is out there. But think about it for a moment. In 1972, we had arguably the best or second best team in the nation when our all-American starting center bolted in mid-February for the NBA. In 1974-1975, we were defending national runner-up when our all-American power forward left in September for the ABA. That was even worse than the one-and-dones of today because we could not fix the problem immediately -- we had to wait a year.

We honor Al by committing to his level of success, not by painting his name on the floor of our arena. We know the game has changed but we have to change with it!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
I do not disagree with the notion that the world is different. But because the game is played differently, because the kids are more aggressively recruited and because information on great players is easier to come by doesn't mean Marquette can't be a perennial competitor for a natty. Everyone has down years and we will too, but the notion that we should accept consistent mediocrity because the 1970s happened a long time ago is something this wrinkled Warrior has trouble accepting.

Yeah, defenses are different. And the NBA is out there. But think about it for a moment. In 1972, we had arguably the best or second best team in the nation when our all-American starting center bolted in mid-February for the NBA. In 1974-1975, we were defending national runner-up when our all-American power forward left in September for the ABA. That was even worse than the one-and-dones of today because we could not fix the problem immediately -- we had to wait a year.

We honor Al by committing to his level of success, not by painting his name on the floor of our arena. We know the game has changed but we have to change with it!

I think we are closer to agreement than disagreement on many fronts. I just don't think that most people on this board are willing to accept "consistent mediocrity" although some probably do. Whether or not Wojo is the guy to bring us to the Promised Land or not is yet to be determined. It bothers me that after 5 years the question is still unresolved. I thought last year's #10 ranking was at least 5 spots too high and think this coming season's team is going to catch a lot of teams with their pants down.

I probably should have defined "long,long time" in my original post. IF Wojo proves to be the guy to get us back in the spotlight, I see us in at least the Elite 8 and maybe the Final Four within 5 years. It could easily take a few more years before we are in a National Championship game. Hopefully I do not croak before then. Still recovering from open heart surgery that hopefully added years to my life. I should probably take sedatives before watching MU's games so I can watch the buzzer beaters.

Your bolded statement is great.

Fair warning to younger fans: old fart's Al story to follow:

My very brief face to face meeting with Al occured when I walked by his office door in Johnston Hall. The door was ajar and I could not help myself from peeking in, thinking that the office was vacant. It was not, much to my embarrassment. Instead of looking up at me and growling "What the F do you want? Get the hell out of here!" Al smiled and said "Hi! Howya doin'?" followed by my very quick exit.   

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.