[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: D3 Transfer possibility  (Read 22703 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: D3 Transfer possibility
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 11:02:05 AM »
Likely sits

4-4 vs 2-4
Would be best if he sat. Gives him a year to adjust to the faster pace of play in practice and  more importantly build his body up to the standard necessary to compete at the Big East level defensively.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
D3 athletes can get academic scholarships but not athletic ones.  The NCAA actually audits D3 schools on occasion to ensure that athetes are getting roughly the same financial aid as non-athletes at any particular school.

See the Kalamazoo College violation report on that. Athletic participation cannot have any role in awarding of aid to a student-athlete.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »
All of the NESCAC schools are elite academically and it’s a great basketball conference too. I play with a number of guys who play(ed) NESCAC ball. If this kids scoring over 20ppg he’s pretty legit

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »
All of the NESCAC schools are elite academically and it’s a great basketball conference too. I play with a number of guys who play(ed) NESCAC ball. If this kids scoring over 20ppg he’s pretty legit.

Would be awesome if MU could land the next Terry Porter.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »

That would make Wojo Dick Bennett.  And one of Wojo's kids would be Tony Bennett.  Then we'd be set with coaching for YEARS.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 09:32:06 AM »
That would make Wojo Dick Bennett.  And one of Wojo's kids would be Tony Bennett.  Then we'd be set with coaching for YEARS.

Until Marquette runs Wojo off to give the job to Chad Harris, ostracizing the Wojciechowski family and insuring his son will end up leading Boston College (by way of LMU) to a national title.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
See the Kalamazoo College violation report on that. Athletic participation cannot have any role in awarding of aid to a student-athlete.

My recollection -- and you could probably verify -- is that even leadership roles in athletics (e.g., "four year team captain") cannot be considered for a scholarship based upon leadership activities.  If my understanding is correct, that always seemed a little unfair to me.  But, I guess I understand the thinking there...it would be a pretty significant loophole.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 09:46:45 AM »
My recollection -- and you could probably verify -- is that even leadership roles in athletics (e.g., "four year team captain") cannot be considered for a scholarship based upon leadership activities.  If my understanding is correct, that always seemed a little unfair to me.  But, I guess I understand the thinking there...it would be a pretty significant loophole.

Your understanding is correct.  In fact, D3 scholarship athletes cannot receive any scholarships from their local high school, community foundation, etc. based on athletic participation.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 09:50:09 AM »

Pedant time:  Terry Porter was not a D3 athlete.  UWSP was a NAIA school at the time (back when the NCAA allowed NAIA schools to be members of the same conference).  As an NAIA school, Porter *may* have been eligible to receive athletic aid, and even then, those schools tend to be a little fast and loose with the rules.  That's the main reason the NCAA eventually forced the WSUC (now WIAC) schools to make a choice between NCAA and NAIA membership.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
Until Marquette runs Wojo off to give the job to Chad Harris, ostracizing the Wojciechowski family and insuring his son will end up leading Boston College (by way of LMU) to a national title.

My understanding is the Bennett's harbor more more ill-will towards Indiana for the treatment of Kathi than they do for Marquette for ignoring KO's advice and not hiring Dick in 1994.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »
My understanding is the Bennett's harbor more more ill-will towards Indiana for the treatment of Kathi than they do for Marquette for ignoring KO's advice and not hiring Dick in 1994.

I was referring to the ill will the Bennetts harbor toward UW-Madison & the Platteville Posse. I'm taking the metaphor to mean Dick Bennett is to Steve Wojciechowski as UW-Madison is to Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
I was referring to the ill will the Bennetts harbor toward UW-Madison & the Platteville Posse. I'm taking the metaphor to mean Dick Bennett is to Steve Wojciechowski as UW-Madison is to Marquette.

Gotcha.  I'm never really sure what to believe with the Bennetts / UW as Tony did a year or two on the bench with Bo before WSU.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2019, 11:35:19 AM »

Fired her, I think, while she was undergoing cancer treatment. Supposedly TB has never considered them because of this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
Pedant time:  Terry Porter was not a D3 athlete.  UWSP was a NAIA school at the time (back when the NCAA allowed NAIA schools to be members of the same conference).

FWIW, the school's website says Porter was a Division III All-American in 1985 (and also an NAIA All-American in 1984 and 1985).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »
Hutcherson has canceled his visit to Marquette

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
That could mean two things. ;-( ;-)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
Seems like they are usually eligible right away, but there are exceptions. From the NCAA website:

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

Conjunction Junction, y’all. D-III doesn’t have scholarships, but they do recruit. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 01:54:41 PM »
Hutcherson cancelled his visit to Marquette.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 02:53:07 PM »
Not that anyone asked, but here's where I generally come down on DII/III transfers to DI: Why doesn't it happen more often?

Occam's razor would suggest that most DII/III players simply aren't good enough for DI, otherwise, they would at least be playing for a low-major somewhere.  The handful of kids who are good enough are likely making a choice to go to a DII/III school for academic or personal/family reasons as opposed to riding the pine on a partial scholarship at Centenary or Oral Roberts.

For lack of a better example, look at Rob Jeter... he could have easily started at any low-major, perhaps some mid-majors, but somehow got conned into playing for Coach Feratu at UW-Platteville (though did win a D-III championship).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PIpBEmF5GB4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PIpBEmF5GB4</a>

In short, DII/III isn't a stepping stone to high-major D-I like JUCO can be.... JUCO is a matter of kids being good enough fro D-I on the court but not good enough on their transcript.  If you can't qualify D-I, you won't qualify D-II/III either.

Moral of Story: There could always be an exception to the rule, but caveat emptor
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
Pedant time:  Terry Porter was not a D3 athlete. 

#FakeNews #Lies

#StN ppl b dummm
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2019, 03:23:50 PM »
FWIW, the school's website says Porter was a Division III All-American in 1985 (and also an NAIA All-American in 1984 and 1985).

#FakeNews #Lies

So can you tell me how this is the case considering UWSP was an NAIA member until well after Porter left campus?  He was on the teams that made the 1983, 84 and 85 NAIA tournaments - his sophomore, junior and senior years.

I'm not being a smartass here.  I just don't understand how that works.  Did NAIA players qualify for D3 All American teams because they played in a conference with other D3 schools?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:25:35 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
Not that anyone asked, but here's where I generally come down on DII/III transfers to DI: Why doesn't it happen more often?

Occam's razor would suggest that most DII/III players simply aren't good enough for DI, otherwise, they would at least be playing for a low-major somewhere.  The handful of kids who are good enough are likely making a choice to go to a DII/III school for academic or personal/family reasons as opposed to riding the pine on a partial scholarship at Centenary or Oral Roberts.

For lack of a better example, look at Rob Jeter... he could have easily started at any low-major, perhaps some mid-majors, but somehow got conned into playing for Coach Feratu at UW-Platteville (though did win a D-III championship).

In short, DII/III isn't a stepping stone to high-major D-I like JUCO can be.... JUCO is a matter of kids being good enough fro D-I on the court but not good enough on their transcript.  If you can't qualify D-I, you won't qualify D-II/III either.

Moral of Story: There could always be an exception to the rule, but caveat emptor
I think you laid it out very well.

There are 351 D1 Schools and over 1,000 kids recruited for those positions each year.  Then there are kids that from an athletic standpoint  bounce around that bottom part of D1 and instead will elect to go to DII where there are 64 more scholarship schools. As pointed out the kids who cannot qualify academically go JUCO.  So pretty much anyone who is qualified from a basketball standpoint can land somewhere on the spectrum of athletic  scholarship providing schools ( DI, DII or JUCO)

Conversely, there are kids who are decent performing students will explore the attractive higher end DIII schools and use their athletic credential to gain admission.  Some of these kids can make the bottom end of low major D! roster but not play much. So being the man at top NESCAC school is much more attractive.

Very rare for a DIII  basketball player to have the  overall athletic ability to play at a DI high major. There are occasionally  DII kids who have matured late physically and have made the move up to the high major level after excelling in DII.  We had two great examples of that recently in the Big East in Max Struss and Zach Hankins.

There was also a case a few years back of a kid that Michigan State had recruited with some fan fare, who did not play much his first three years,  who elected to move down to DIII for his senior season because he wanted to actually have a college basketball experience.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2019, 07:08:06 PM »

So can you tell me how this is the case considering UWSP was an NAIA member until well after Porter left campus?  He was on the teams that made the 1983, 84 and 85 NAIA tournaments - his sophomore, junior and senior years.

I'm not being a smartass here.  I just don't understand how that works.  Did NAIA players qualify for D3 All American teams because they played in a conference with other D3 schools?

Oh, I know you don't understand.

NABC can help you..

https://nabc.prestosports.com/awards/all_america/division_III/1980

Or think of your guy ZFB.. who is ... transitioning, hey
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback