[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Athletic's coverage of MUBB  (Read 10932 times)

jesmu84

• All American
The Athletic's coverage of MUBB
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
Interesting conversation here: https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1153645150482157569?s=19

Looks like I won't be subscribing anytime soon

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: The Athletic's coverage of MUBB
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 07:41:44 PM »
Interesting conversation here: https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1153645150482157569?s=19

Looks like I won't be subscribing anytime soon
Yep quite the attitude, yet an MU WBB story later today.
Goal is National Championship

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »
Yikes

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 07:55:56 PM »
He sort of seems like an A$$ hat. Though I wonder if the issue is how many MU fans subscribe? I mean between two or three podcasts, consistent MUBB social media presence, cracked sidewalks, paint touches and anonymous eagle. Plus Scoop and Dodds board our market might be fairly saturated.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:17:16 PM »
Paint Touches asked Maillet why there wasn’t more Marquette coverage, Maillet gave his reasons, which seemed both valid and honest, and Paint Touches then offered some unsolicited suggestions on how he could do his job better.  If I had Maillet’s credentials and some independent fan site acted like they knew better than me, I might get a little peeved, too.

When Marquette wins, it’s big news in Wisconsin.  But we haven’t won an NCAA Tournament game in six years and our biggest story of the offseason was a negative one involving two players who are no longer with the program.  On top of that, all parties involved with that story have stayed mum about its reasons for happening, so there’s even less to say.  When there’s actually something newsworthy in the world of Marquette hoops, like our potential commitment tomorrow, I have no doubt The Athletic will report on it.

If you want to read interviews with every player on the team repeating the company line about “chemistry” while everyone knows Markus will get all of the shots, all the time (not some of them some, some of the time, or most of them, most of the time, but all of them, all the time), you can, as Maillet suggested, read the Dodds board.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:22:59 PM »
Paint Touches asked Maillet why there wasn’t more Marquette coverage, Maillet gave his reasons, which seemed both valid and honest, and Paint Touches then offered some unsolicited suggestions on how he could do his job better.  If I had Maillet’s credentials and some independent fan site acted like they knew better than me, I might get a little peeved, too.

When Marquette wins, it’s big news in Wisconsin.  But we haven’t won an NCAA Tournament game in six years and our biggest story of the offseason was a negative one involving two players who are no longer with the program.  On top of that, all parties involved with that story have stayed mum about its reasons for happening, so there’s even less to say.  When there’s actually something newsworthy in the world of Marquette hoops, like our potential commitment tomorrow, I have no doubt The Athletic will report on it.

If you want to read interviews with every player on the team repeating the company line about “chemistry” while everyone knows Markus will get all of the shots, all the time (not some of them some, some of the time, or most of them, most of the time, but all of them, all the time), you can, as Maillet suggested, read the Dodds board.

Between poor grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, leading questions, comparing players to people they've never met and in some cases weren't even alive to witness, misstating facts, and generally boring interviews I have found Dodd's board unreadable. If Maillet has some intern do something similar I'd gladly pay to see it.

Note I have not paid for Dodd's site and am only referring to the free stuff.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
If MU were to sign up Alex Antetokounmpo there would be several flattering articles over the years written by this publication and others.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:32:04 PM »
If MU were to sign up Alex Antetokounmpo there would be several flattering articles over the years written by this publication and others.

Which would confirm how little they know about college basketball. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 08:40:55 PM »
Which would confirm how little they know about college basketball.
Eyeballs are all that matters .
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 09:06:30 PM »

I’m glad all the other players around are okay with Markus getting every shot every time, not just some of the shots some of the time. Goodbye to the players who don’t want to play how their coach wants them to and write petitions about it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 09:08:08 PM »
Eyeballs are all that matters .

Except it's a pay site so substance matters.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »

I agree with this. If initial stories don’t gain traction, why would they devote resources?

And what content are people looking for anyway? Most of the stuff written in the MJS is too broad and general for people who are plugged into what’s going on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »

Get peeved sure. Roll your eyes and ignore the tweet. But why as a professional representing your company would you go out of your way to isolate potential and actual customers?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 09:50:10 PM »
Get peeved sure. Roll your eyes and ignore the tweet. But why as a professional representing your company would you go out of your way to isolate potential and actual customers?

Look at how bad they are at social media for The Athletic WI. He's out of touch.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »

Maillet answered your question in his initial response.  Marquette stories don’t sell right now.  If it was a Packers fan complaining, he may have been more polite.  But a couple of MUBB nerds on the Internet is a piss drop in the ocean of Athletic subscribers.

I’m a Marquette fan, and I subscribe to The Athletic.  When I want Marquette news, I come to Scoop and also read the articles in the Journal Sentinel.  I don’t even think to look in The Athletic.  The number of people who subscribe to The Athletic specifically for news on MU basketball is probably slim to none.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 10:34:24 PM »

Hot take

Dis dude right

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 10:42:57 PM »
Maillet answered your question in his initial response.  Marquette stories don’t sell right now.  If it was a Packers fan complaining, he may have been more polite.  But a couple of MUBB nerds on the Internet is a piss drop in the ocean of Athletic subscribers.

I’m a Marquette fan, and I subscribe to The Athletic.  When I want Marquette news, I come to Scoop and also read the articles in the Journal Sentinel.  I don’t even think to look in The Athletic.  The number of people who subscribe to The Athletic specifically for news on MU basketball is probably slim to none.

It wasn't my question. I contribute for Paint Touches but Andrei is Paint Touches not me.

So it's okay to be a rude to potential and actual customers as long as they are one of your smaller populations. If I'm running a business, I would tell my employees not to get into petty internet fights on twitter. Seems like the more sound business practice.
TAMU

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 11:03:22 PM »
OK, you want news coverage? Start acting like it!

Begin by getting in the NCAA almost every year.

When you get there, win once and while.

Prove your success is not a fluke.

It also might be nice to be outrageous. Al was outrageous and he was a celebrity who put Marquette on the map.

Say what you want about the Cowboy. He was outrageous too (aka, the dancing at mid-court against the Huggie Bear's Mountaineers). He was sought after by the media.

Finally, say things that matter. We're basketball team, not the CIA. Start acting like you can really talk about your team -- you're not losing your edge because you walk the talk.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 11:05:05 PM »
It wasn't my question. I contribute for Paint Touches but Andrei is Paint Touches not me.

So it's okay to be a rude to potential and actual customers as long as they are one of your smaller populations. If I'm running a business, I would tell my employees not to get into petty internet fights on twitter. Seems like the more sound business practice.

Jeff Potrykus posts on Buckyville.  Tom Haudricourt regularly argues with and calls out Brewers fans (potential and actual JS customers) on Twitter.  Social media and the internet in general have given journalists a platform to blur the line between professional reporter and meatball fan.  Maillet’s response wasn’t unusual or particularly offensive, in my opinion.  It’s just the way things are nowadays.  If you or the other folks at Paint Touches don’t enjoy The Athletic’s coverage of Marquette basketball, just cancel your subscription.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 11:15:56 PM »
Jeff Potrykus posts on Buckyville.  Tom Haudricourt regularly argues with and calls out Brewers fans (potential and actual JS customers) on Twitter.  Social media and the internet in general have given journalists a platform to blur the line between professional reporter and meatball fan.  Maillet’s response wasn’t unusual or particularly offensive, in my opinion.  It’s just the way things are nowadays.  If you or the other folks at Paint Touches don’t enjoy The Athletic’s coverage of Marquette basketball, just cancel your subscription.

I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, lack of MUBB coverage is the primary reason why.

As for the rest, fair enough. Maybe I don't follow enough journalists in the twitterverse to know what normal is nowadays. Potrykus is an unprofessional hack. I haven't seen what you've mentioned with Handicort but I honestly don't follow his tweets.

What I do know is that if any of my employees acted that way on twitter while representing my employer, we'd be having a conversation about customer service and protecting the brand.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »
Athletic basically filling a void that occurred because Sports Illustrated dropped the ball when the digital age came.

The business while survive as long as they can keep convincing investors to pony up for new rounds of financing and also convincing subscribers to renew their subscriptions.

Honestly, I prefer the content created by the people posting on MU Scoop. It is way more insightful and valuable to the true Marquette fan. We also have a great JS beat writer,  Anonymous Eagle, Paint Touches and Dodds Interviews . Collectively that is treasure trove of content. When the season comes the TV production values of FS1 and CBS Sports are fantastic.

In general the college basketball  media eco system is very well developed, and serves my needs well.

The other sports I am interested in College Football, PGA Tour and College Lacrosse all have very good and in depth media coverage .

So in general I have no need for the Athletic. Although I was a long term subscriber to Sports Illustrated for many years back in the day.

There was a period when , on the side , I wrote a daily column for a leading financial website. We had tremendous numbers of daily users and all the proper media metrics in terms of high net worth customers that advertising would cr$58eam their j&8eans for. . Many of our contributors were featured on the major cable financial networks and thus our visibility was high. Still with all of that, the business was not a consistent profit maker and had a very low valuation when it was sold. I am pointing this out because at some point the investor money for the athletic will run out and they will be left to survive in the wild. Will be interesting to see how robust their operation will remain when they hit that wall.
            ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 11:56:26 PM »
Look at how bad they are at social media for The Athletic WI. He's out of touch.

Jeff “Maillet In” calls himself a Marquette Warrior?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 12:46:54 AM »
The assumption the audience isn't there is simply wrong. MU fans are the 17th largest fanbase among kenpom subscribers. Three podcasts, of which Scrambled Eggs alone draws over 10,000 downloads per episode. When followers mattered, we were always one of the top TBT fanbases.

Marquette is a small school, but we have a large online following and one willing to pay for quality content. The problem isn't the fanbase, it's the offerings from The Athletic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 06:00:49 AM »
The back and forth with the guy from The Athletic made Marquette fans look bad, not the other way around.

The same goes for guys who go to other team’s boards and decide to speak for the entire fan base.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 06:14:53 AM »
Arguing that the BEPOY and second team all american who has done nothing but bring honor to Marquette is a cancer isn't the best look. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.