[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Social Security benefits question  (Read 1691 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Social Security benefits question
« on: July 22, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »
Hoping someone here knows as I have not been able to find definitive answer online.

My brother in law died suddenly a few weeks ago and his spouse is 59...she still works.  It looks to me as though she will receive only a $255 death benefit.

Between age 60 and 66, would she receive 71% to 99% of his death benefit?

At age 67 does she receive his full benefit? 

Not clear from what I can tell.  She called SS admin and of course the woman on the phone said she was going to get the full benefit, she then goes to the SSA office, and they say she was told incorrectly and she will makes too much, won’t receive anything at the moment.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Social Security benefits question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »
Hoping someone here knows as I have not been able to find definitive answer online.

My brother in law died suddenly a few weeks ago and his spouse is 59...she still works.  It looks to me as though she will receive only a $255 death benefit.

Between age 60 and 66, would she receive 71% to 99% of his death benefit?

At age 67 does she receive his full benefit? 

Not clear from what I can tell.  She called SS admin and of course the woman on the phone said she was going to get the full benefit, she then goes to the SSA office, and they say she was told incorrectly and she will makes too much, won’t receive anything at the moment.

What she will get depends on how much she currently makes. At 65 (unless it has been changed to 66 recently), she can work AND collect benefits - either her own or her husbands, whichever is greater. Before 65, she could get her full benefits minus about 7% a per year penalty for taking it early, and also would be limited in how much she makes without being penalized additionally.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 10:32:53 AM »
My understanding (and assuming she’s not disabled, etc) is yes, she’d only get a one-time $255 payment now. Then at age 60, eligible for reduced benefits until reaching full retirement age (probably 66 yrs, 8 months or so, depending on year of birth)... 71.5% at 60 and increasing thereafter
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
Yes, because she is under 60, she is not eligible to collect the widow's benefit. She will get the one-time $255 death benefit.

When she turns 60 she can choose to claim the widow's benefit but it will be reduced as she is not full retirement age.
If she does choose to start taking benefits at 60, the benefit may be reduced if she is still working. She can make up to 17640 without getting a reduction in her benefit. If she exceeds the earnings limit, her benefit is reduced by $1 for every $2 she goes over. So if she is still working it may not make sense for her to start receiving benefits.

Once she is retired she has a few different options for collecting his benefit or hers, it depends on her personal situation as to which will make more sense.

Sorry for your loss.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »
Not to be crass, but she also can't remarry before the age of 60 or she will lose all claims to his benefits.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 11:16:52 AM »
My understanding (and assuming she’s not disabled, etc) is yes, she’d only get a one-time $255 payment now. Then at age 60, eligible for reduced benefits until reaching full retirement age (probably 66 yrs, 8 months or so, depending on year of birth)... 71.5% at 60 and increasing thereafter

This is correct except the 71.5% would be at 62, I believe

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »
Not to be crass, but she also can't remarry before the age of 60 or she will lose all claims to his benefits.

This is incorrect. She can still claim survivor benefits when/if she chooses to remarry.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
Sorry for your loss, jams.

Kinda funny how the death benefit is one of the few government benefits that isnt indexed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 11:54:33 AM »
This is incorrect. She can still claim survivor benefits when/if she chooses to remarry.

Ok. Did that change? Or did I misremember something?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:15:27 PM »
Thank you for the answers.  She’s been frustrated with answers from SSA.  Some good clarity here.  I also reached out to my Financial guy and he said much of what others said here which makes me feel pretty confident.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire