[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Prime Day  (Read 3892 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Prime Day
« on: July 15, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »
Anyone buying anything?

I'm contemplating the Meater bluetooth wireless meat thermometer. But do I really need a $100 thermometer?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Prime Day
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »
Nope, refuse to participate.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
I usually read the Dappered's 2019 prime day for men thread to let someone else do the hard work for me. Picking through the 'deals' takes too much time.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
Optimus....

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »
I'm contemplating the Meater bluetooth wireless meat thermometer. But do I really need a $100 thermometer?

Somehow I missed this specific question.

I have this Maverick remote thermometer and it's made smoking a much less stressful endeavour. I trust the reviews over at amazingribs.com cause holy crap those guys care a lot about thermometers.

Looks like the review on teh Meater thermometer doesn't exist yet, but they do have some comments from others there. They were frustrated that the effective range of the bluetooth was about 6 feet. Last updated March of this year.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
Some parts to a couple PC's im building

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 03:22:08 PM »
hadn't planned on it. However, after doing a race over the weekend one of teammates had a Garmin Vivowatch 3 Music so I looked on Amazon just to see the price and it's a Prime deal. Looks like I'm getting a new watch.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
Nope, refuse to participate.

Why?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
Somehow I missed this specific question.

I have this Maverick remote thermometer and it's made smoking a much less stressful endeavour. I trust the reviews over at amazingribs.com cause holy crap those guys care a lot about thermometers.

Looks like the review on teh Meater thermometer doesn't exist yet, but they do have some comments from others there. They were frustrated that the effective range of the bluetooth was about 6 feet. Last updated March of this year.

I picked up a Weber blue tooth. Good range on it. The probes can give a false reading (too hot) if you don’t completely insert the probe or if the rubber sleeve does not completely cover the exposed bend on the back of the probe.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »
Why?

I use Prime like anyone else, but I am of the opinion having worked with them daily (partners of ours) that they are putting a lot of mom and pop's in a bad way, and should be regulated.  Yup, that's me saying that.  I'm a "free market" person to a large degree (though there is no such thing as a free market), and I am not thrilled with the power in their hands.

I say that as someone who was offered a job by them....it is incredible what they are able to do and what they will be able to do.  I just don't want to be part of this....yup, I am a hypocrite because I definitely use Prime on occasion. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
I use Prime like anyone else, but I am of the opinion having worked with them daily (partners of ours) that they are putting a lot of mom and pop's in a bad way, and should be regulated.  Yup, that's me saying that.  I'm a "free market" person to a large degree (though there is no such thing as a free market), and I am not thrilled with the power in their hands.

I say that as someone who was offered a job by them....it is incredible what they are able to do and what they will be able to do.  I just don't want to be part of this....yup, I am a hypocrite because I definitely use Prime on occasion.

This was much more contained then usual. I was sitting around forever waiting for the dramatics. You've disappointed me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 07:46:32 PM »

You are actually hilarious.  Should we regulate Walmart then as well?  Amazon didn't kill Main street.  Big boxes and shopping centers started the downfall in the 80s and now Amazon is basically putting the final nails in the coffin.

I agree with you that they have too much power, but the same could easily be said about our largest corporations.  Apple, Google, Amazon, Walmart, etc... while we're at it, lets break up the cable monopolies.

Hell, lets go back to having savings and loan banks separate from investment banking as well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »

Congrats that you work with them daily. Congrats that they are a "partner" of yours. Congrats on your job offer from them. I have no idea what any of these have to do with the topic, though.

Back to the topic. You use them, but only if you get a good deal, not a great one? Because of your principles? Sorry, makes no sense whatsoever.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
Nevermind. We're good.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 09:34:07 PM »
You are actually hilarious.  Should we regulate Walmart then as well?  Amazon didn't kill Main street.  Big boxes and shopping centers started the downfall in the 80s and now Amazon is basically putting the final nails in the coffin.

I agree with you that they have too much power, but the same could easily be said about our largest corporations.  Apple, Google, Amazon, Walmart, etc... while we're at it, lets break up the cable monopolies.

Hell, lets go back to having savings and loan banks separate from investment banking as well.

There is a sizable difference between what Amazon is doing and Walmart did.  For the record, I almost never shop at Walmart....it has to be an act of God for me to do it, but having said that the differences between the two use cases are not in the same ballpark.

Shop where you want, free country.  I saved a boatload today on Prime....I spent $0.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 09:36:41 PM »
Congrats that you work with them daily. Congrats that they are a "partner" of yours. Congrats on your job offer from them. I have no idea what any of these have to do with the topic, though.

Back to the topic. You use them, but only if you get a good deal, not a great one? Because of your principles? Sorry, makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, knowing how they operate can leave a good or bad taste in one’s mouth.  There are good business partners, not so good business partners, etc.  I find it odd that you wouldn’t understand how one deals with a company in their every day lives, including from a business perspective could drive their choice of consumption.  Or in my case with them, a cautionary approach.  I really don’t find it that hard at all....but apparently you do.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 09:51:26 PM »
Hell, lets go back to having savings and loan banks.

We would be better off if this were the case.

The savings institution originated, underwrote, closed, held and serviced credit. You had a problem, to talked to your local savings institution and they'd work with you.

Now, there is so many people with hands in the pie that there is no accountability and no way to be decent to fellow human beings. A person loses their job and the credit is held by a sovereign wealth fund half a world a way and no capability to work with the borrower.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 09:54:15 PM »
We would be better off if this were the case.

The savings institution originated, underwrote, closed, held and serviced credit. You had a problem, to talked to your local savings institution and they'd work with you.

Now, there is so many people with hands in the pie that there is no accountability and no way to be decent to fellow human beings. A person loses their job and the credit is held by a sovereign wealth fund half a world a way and no capability to work with the borrower.

Go to a credit union.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 10:00:35 PM »
Well, knowing how they operate can leave a good or bad taste in one’s mouth.  There are good business partners, not so good business partners, etc.  I find it odd that you wouldn’t understand how one deals with a company in their every day lives, including from a business perspective could drive their choice of consumption.  Or in my case with them, a cautionary approach.  I really don’t find it that hard at all....but apparently you do.

I still don't understand why you don't want anything to do with them on Prime Day but come Wednesday you'll go back to using them. What principle are you basing this on?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 10:24:16 PM »
I still don't understand why you don't want anything to do with them on Prime Day but come Wednesday you'll go back to using them. What principle are you basing this on?

I usually use them only when I need to.  Otherwise I try to buy it locally.  I just don’t like to participate in the hyped up event.  It isn’t anything I desperately need.  I don’t like Black Friday either.  Just not a shopper for stuff unless I need it and I find Prime Day to be more of a deal situation where people buy stuff they don’t need....just my two cents.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »
If Prime Day is supposed to be anything like Black Friday, it’s more deceit than deal.

If you want deals, subscribe to SlickDeals.net or something like that.  Actual deals, 24/7/365... not a bunch of high margin markdowns tucked behind a curtain of cheaply made knockoffs.  Deals are liquidations, overstocked items, pricing errors, etc.  Not a cheap, limited production run of something that was never actually sold at the “MSRP”.

But hey, enjoy your brand new Sorny or Magnetbox TV for “60%” off. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 12:15:48 AM »

I will no longer allow Chico's being a windbag a-- h--- upset me. I'm going to appreciate his genius at being a windbag a-- h---.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 03:38:42 AM »

The Public Banking Institute has already got that ball rolling....that is...if derivatives aren’t your thing.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 04:59:29 AM »
The Public Banking Institute has already got that ball rolling....that is...if derivatives aren’t your thing.

I was being Cheeky.  ;D

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 05:13:07 AM »
If Prime Day is supposed to be anything like Black Friday, it’s more deceit than deal.

If you want deals, subscribe to SlickDeals.net or something like that.  Actual deals, 24/7/365... not a bunch of high margin markdowns tucked behind a curtain of cheaply made knockoffs.  Deals are liquidations, overstocked items, pricing errors, etc.  Not a cheap, limited production run of something that was never actually sold at the “MSRP”.

But hey, enjoy your brand new Sorny or Magnetbox TV for “60%” off.

So prime day sales are only on knockoffs?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 06:35:03 AM »
Here you go, guys. Deal I know you all need