[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA to tighten transfer rules  (Read 20275 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: NCAA to tighten transfer rules
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2019, 09:09:37 PM »
You be you. Argue with yourself.

May God Bless you!!  Good for the NCAA and it’s member institutions cracking down on the abuse of transfers. We don’t like abuse, or that’s what Pope Francis recently said.  Read a quote somewhere on that.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
May God Bless you!!  Good for the NCAA and it’s member institutions cracking down on the abuse of transfers. We don’t like abuse, or that’s what Pope Francis recently said.  Read a quote somewhere on that.
are you referring to the catholic religion? Because well.....   8-)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
You be you. Argue with yourself.

Mike

Remember when free agency killed competition in MLB and the NBA?. LOL. Full blown dynasties like the old Yankees and Celtics are a thing of the past - BECAUSE of free agency. And as a bonus to the owners - as interest grew the value of their franchises went through the roof. Huge win/win that the owners in their myopia) fought tooth and nail.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2019, 10:27:02 PM »
Well, everyone thought he was crazy for pouring resources into chasing down this half-man half-pig half-bear creature, and well... turns out we were the fools on that one.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
Best and most truthful episode yet

I remember watching the original manbearpig episode when I was in high school and thinking it was funny because it was Al Gore running around warning about a ridiculous mythical creature. Then when I watched the most recent ManBearPig episodes I was on the floor dying from laughter because I actually got it this time around. God I love South Park.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2019, 11:58:38 PM »
I remember watching the original manbearpig episode when I was in high school and thinking it was funny because it was Al Gore running around warning about a ridiculous mythical creature. Then when I watched the most recent ManBearPig episodes I was on the floor dying from laughter because I actually got it this time around. God I love South Park.

The first episode was actually making fun of
Al Gore and how "crack pot" his theories were. Originally Matt Stone and Trey Parker didn't believe in him. The last episode was about them admitting he was right and saying sorry.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2019, 11:56:04 AM »
The first episode was actually making fun of
Al Gore and how "crack pot" his theories were. Originally Matt Stone and Trey Parker didn't believe in him. The last episode was about them admitting he was right and saying sorry.

Someone hasn't seen the Imaginationland Trilogy.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
Mike

Remember when free agency killed competition in MLB and the NBA?. LOL. Full blown dynasties like the old Yankees and Celtics are a thing of the past - BECAUSE of free agency. And as a bonus to the owners - as interest grew the value of their franchises went through the roof. Huge win/win that the owners in their myopia) fought tooth and nail.

Aren't you forgetting the degree portion? I mean I love MU to my core but if I was in a spot where I could have transferred to Duke or Vanderbilt or an Ivy and gotten a degree then I would've been a fool not to. Pro sports is a false equivalency.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2019, 12:23:24 PM »
You failed to mentioned one MAJOR part of your thesis. Salary caps.  The salary caps and luxury taxes put into place were in large part to prevent the run away rich teams from winning.  Not sure why that slipped your mind being a former sports reporter and all.

Yet despite even those measures, you still have the richest teams buying the best players.  The NBA finally made some adjustments that allow players to get the most by staying with their teams, but they had to institute that BECAUSE of Free Agency.  Weird that those changes didn't make it from your head to your fingers on the keyboard.  Very weird.

Salary caps and luxury taxes are in place to limit the money that the players made.  Baseball has a limited luxury tax, where Homer Bailey makes $23 million this year.  Andrew Luck, one of the best QBs in the NFL, makes $21.1 million.

A better comparison would be the Olympics which $$$ problems with hosting not withstanding, is just as popular with professionals as it was with "amateurs." 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »
If NCAA goes to free agency and allows athletes to be compensated (and/or sell their likeness), does anyone believe that MU hoops would ever be competitive in that space?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2019, 12:50:32 PM »
If NCAA goes to free agency and allows athletes to be compensated (and/or sell their likeness), does anyone believe that MU hoops would ever be competitive in that space?

Yes. We're currently able to be competitive with facilities, coaching slaries, and support staff despite not getting a massive payout like the P5 schools receive. Most those schools are focused on football. If they had to competitively compensate 85 roster spots for football, MU could actually be able to improve their competitiveness in basketball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »
Aren't you forgetting the degree portion? I mean I love MU to my core but if I was in a spot where I could have transferred to Duke or Vanderbilt or an Ivy and gotten a degree then I would've been a fool not to. Pro sports is a false equivalency.

What percentage of the top players stick around long enough to get degrees? Would a lot of juniors be transferring from, say, Michigan State, to Harvard? Don't see that as a problem.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2019, 04:33:43 PM »
Salary caps and luxury taxes are in place to limit the money that the players made.  Baseball has a limited luxury tax, where Homer Bailey makes $23 million this year.  Andrew Luck, one of the best QBs in the NFL, makes $21.1 million.

TBH, baseball's luxury tax amounts to a hard cap these days. Just ask Kimbrel, Keuchel and so many others. It's embarrassing. The MLBPA is a shell of its former self.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:38:30 PM by NYWarrior »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2019, 04:44:28 PM »
TBH, baseball's luxury tax amounts to a hard cap these days. Just ask Kimbrel, Keuchel and so many others. It's embarrassing. The MLBPA is a shell of its former self.

True.  But the stars still also make a lot.  I think baseball is more to teams realizing the production of older players is not worth the extra price over the younger controllable players.  If anything, they need to revamp the system where every player is a FA around say 25.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »
True.  But the stars still also make a lot.  I think baseball is more to teams realizing the production of older players is not worth the extra price over the younger controllable players.  If anything, they need to revamp the system where every player is a FA around say 25.

Screw that. Salary caps are un-American. The owners are drowning in revenue streams & the resultant spike in franchise values has moved most into the economic stratosphere. Meanwhile the owners spend less & less on the product they put before fans while they get paper cuts from counting the ever-increasing piles of cash -- https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/01/11/economic-data-shows-mlb-spent-less-on-player-salaries-compared-to-revenues-in-2018/#5366af7139d7 and here https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/a-warning-about-major-league-baseballs-record-revenues/

I'd rather have the players -- u know, the actual talent we're paying to see -- get paid rather than an anonymous and likely cantankerous owner.  MLB has succeeded in neutering the MLBPA, and now easily keeps revenue away from the on the field talent.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:04:27 PM by NYWarrior »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2019, 11:22:12 PM »
Yes. We're currently able to be competitive with facilities, coaching slaries, and support staff despite not getting a massive payout like the P5 schools receive. Most those schools are focused on football. If they had to competitively compensate 85 roster spots for football, MU could actually be able to improve their competitiveness in basketball.

Just about every P5 school is public, which typically means a far greater number of boosters they can draw upon for the extra $50k they need to for such and such recruit, or at least $10k more than MU is offering.  Not worried about UK, KU, UNC, UL etc.... they’re already maxxxing out the checkbook as it is.  What I’m concerned about are boosters and used car dealer alums coming out of the woodwork at Illinois, IU, Purdue, Minnesota, etc. now that it’s above-board to write checks to attract kids who otherwise wouldn’t be considering a “football” school today.

On the court, MU can hang with anyone in D-I.  But off the court, MU is D-II at best when it comes to the stupid money that’s going to be chasing every top 100 recruit, and probably most of the 3 stars.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2019, 03:19:24 AM »
Just about every P5 school is public, which typically means a far greater number of boosters they can draw upon for the extra $50k they need to for such and such recruit, or at least $10k more than MU is offering.  Not worried about UK, KU, UNC, UL etc.... they’re already maxxxing out the checkbook as it is.  What I’m concerned about are boosters and used car dealer alums coming out of the woodwork at Illinois, IU, Purdue, Minnesota, etc. now that it’s above-board to write checks to attract kids who otherwise wouldn’t be considering a “football” school today.

On the court, MU can hang with anyone in D-I.  But off the court, MU is D-II at best when it comes to the stupid money that’s going to be chasing every top 100 recruit, and probably most of the 3 stars.

I don't know where you are getting nearly every power 5 school is public, there are 12 of 65 Power 5 schools (counting ND) that are private, which is 18.5% of the schools. So the majority are public but saying almost every one is public is an overstatement.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »
Screw that. Salary caps are un-American. The owners are drowning in revenue streams & the resultant spike in franchise values has moved most into the economic stratosphere. Meanwhile the owners spend less & less on the product they put before fans while they get paper cuts from counting the ever-increasing piles of cash -- https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/01/11/economic-data-shows-mlb-spent-less-on-player-salaries-compared-to-revenues-in-2018/#5366af7139d7 and here https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/a-warning-about-major-league-baseballs-record-revenues/

I'd rather have the players -- u know, the actual talent we're paying to see -- get paid rather than an anonymous and likely cantankerous owner.  MLB has succeeded in neutering the MLBPA, and now easily keeps revenue away from the on the field talent.

I totally agree.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »
I don't know where you are getting nearly every power 5 school is public, there are 12 of 65 Power 5 schools (counting ND) that are private, which is 18.5% of the schools. So the majority are public but saying almost every one is public is an overstatement.

Sorry, perhaps I should have used "sh|t-ton"... would that appease the moot semantics beast within?

Nevertheless, the point remains: P5 schools have more alumni with stupid money than MU.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »

I agree in principle. But no one in the mlb gets any money sympathy from me. I wish the owners would stop making so much, the top players relax a bit, etc. Then mark down prices so it doesn't cost a family of 4 a week's paycheck to enjoy a game.