[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hijacked Butler Thread  (Read 12473 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Funny Interview with JFB
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2019, 08:32:47 PM »
Intent should matter 100%.  I don’t understand how people can judge others hearts without knowing what is in them, but this is the society we live in today.  Yes, intent matters.  My personal opinion is we are also awfully sensitive in this world, but that opinion isn’t going to carry much water here....that is fine.

Ever heard of manslaughter?  Only difference here is, the offender has the opportunity to say they're sorry to the victim and become a better person in the process.

Excusing racism of any sort is disgusting.  It should be rooted out in all forms.

Saying "Intent should matter 100%" is like saying, "Sorry, not sorry".

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »
Intent should matter 100%.  I don’t understand how people can judge others hearts without knowing what is in them, but this is the society we live in today.  Yes, intent matters.  My personal opinion is we are also awfully sensitive in this world, but that opinion isn’t going to carry much water here....that is fine.

A person who inadvertently says something offensive is not a bad person. We all do that.
A person who inadvertently says something offensive and then, rather than learn from it and move on: gets defensive; refuses to even try to understand why it was seen as offensive; plays whataboutism; accuses others of being too sensitive; narcissistically insists his/her intent is what really matters; and then tries to position him/herself as the real victim .... well, that's different.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2019, 09:00:58 PM »
Ever heard of manslaughter?  Only difference here is, the offender has the opportunity to say they're sorry to the victim and become a better person in the process.

Excusing racism of any sort is disgusting.  It should be rooted out in all forms.

Saying "Intent should matter 100%" is like saying, "Sorry, not sorry".

Where did I say punishment should not be warranted...to use your example, manslaughter is still a crime and punishment is given.  Intent should still matter 100% of the time, that doesn’t change a thing.

The problem is who gets to decide what is and isn’t?  If one person says Fighting Irish is racist, it should then be rooted out in All Forms?  Do white Celtics represent all of Boston, how about the white Patriot....you said all forms...so they should be removed, right?  If an African American is offended by the Rap lyrics of another African American, should that be rooted out in all forms?  Are you deciding?  Who is the decider in this?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »
A person who inadvertently says something offensive is not a bad person. We all do that.
A person who inadvertently says something offensive and then, rather than learn from it and move on: gets defensive; refuses to even try to understand why it was seen as offensive; plays whataboutism; accuses others of being too sensitive; narcissistically insists his/her intent is what really matters; and then tries to position him/herself as the real victim .... well, that's different.

I’m speaking in general about anyone...intent should matter.  But appreciate the feedback C.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »
Care for a tissue?

No thanks....it’s all so,e people can do these days when they don’t agree with, level the charges.  It has become humorous....loved the part in Deadpool 2 that mocks it so much because of how insane it has gotten....they nailed it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
Impact has to matter too, because one will never grow if they just think they have perfect motives and are never willing to learn & improve themselves based on the impact they have.

Sure, impact has to matter...who said it doesn’t?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Hijacked Butler Thread
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2019, 10:35:12 PM »
Plenty of people have called others bad, racist, evil, etc here over the years.  This thread not withstanding. 

??  Why even bring that up if it’s not happening here? Why globalize it?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Hijacked Butler Thread
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2019, 11:58:26 PM »
Seriously?   ok.

feedback