[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA  (Read 27008 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
The general current advice I have been seeing (as I have been looking for a couple of vehicles) is to buy a one year old car and keep it until the warranty is finished and then move on from it. I know there was a time when some would say 3 years used was a sweet spot. One can also buy new if planning to keep long time. So it all depends.

As far as dealer financing vs cash or your own financing, the salesperson may not care but once you get to the finance office that person cares as does the owner of the dealer. Their financing is a money maker for them, on top of other fees and add ons they will try to do when you get to that department.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »
You were in the South, right?

Kind of ... I was in Bloomington, a suburb south of Minneapolis!

It was the damnedest thing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2020, 04:44:44 PM »
The general current advice I have been seeing (as I have been looking for a couple of vehicles) is to buy a one year old car and keep it until the warranty is finished and then move on from it. I know there was a time when some would say 3 years used was a sweet spot. One can also buy new if planning to keep long time. So it all depends.

As far as dealer financing vs cash or your own financing, the salesperson may not care but once you get to the finance office that person cares as does the owner of the dealer. Their financing is a money maker for them, on top of other fees and add ons they will try to do when you get to that department.

With both Hyundais, the national rebate programs they had going at the time required me to finance with Hyundai. So I did it and then paid it off within a week each time. The first cost me about $75 in interest to get $1500; the second cost me about $65 to get $1000. Both were mild hassles, but worth it ultimately.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2020, 05:01:31 PM »
The dealership model of car sales needs to end.

Agreed...except for used car sales.

They can represent that it was a 'non-smoking' car and that there is a certain amount of wear and tear, smell or other quirk of a used car on a website, but it isn't anything like sitting in, seeing and smelling a car in person.

(FWIW - I happen to know this from buying a CPO Mercedes a while back. I can't stand the smell of stale smoke, and emailed the dealership ahead of time to verify that it was a smoke-free car. He said the records said it was, and he sat in and smelled it and believed it was, so we went to check it out. I knew immediately it was smoked in. The dealer didn't smell it, so I asked him to let me sit in a couple of others until I found a used car that I believed was smoke-free until I found one. Then I asked him to sit in one then quickly move to the other. Grudgingly, he admitted he could smell the difference. The last thing I'd ever want is to go through the hassle of the buy and return thing for some car I bought online with a salesman who 'swears' it really was smoke-free.)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2020, 05:07:10 PM »
You were in the South, right?

One of my female friends went to a dealership in Nashville and she was fully prepared to purchase a car.  The salesperson saw her wedding ring and told her that he would not sell her a car unless her husband was with her.

LOL.

I was buying my first new car in Nashville. We went to the Mitsubishi dealer (back in '92, when they still made cars), and tested the Galant. The car was OK, but I was grossed out by the salesman constantly spitting his tobacco spit into a Coke bottle. Ended up buying a Honda Accord and loved it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2020, 06:11:02 PM »
The general current advice I have been seeing (as I have been looking for a couple of vehicles) is to buy a one year old car and keep it until the warranty is finished and then move on from it.

If you buy a reliable car, any repairs you might need are going to be way less than a new car payment. Also, 1 year old cars are pretty hard to come by.

I usually buy a 2 or 3 year old car and drive it until it dies.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:21:56 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »

Yeah butt, da dealer iz still movin' inventory and gettin' it off da floor plan. Dat's da name of da game, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2020, 07:33:24 PM »

Yeah butt, da dealer iz still movin' inventory and gettin' it off da floor plan. Dat's da name of da game, aina?
Move the metal.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »

What are you looking for, (maybe we have one)?

"Gently used" vehicles are nice.  I sell GM, and a General Motors Certified Pre-Owned is a vehicle that falls within the last five model years and has under 75k miles. 

The purchaser of a CPO will get the remainder of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty (if there is any) as well as an additional 12 months/12k miles, two complimentary oil changes/tire rotations, free trials of XM and Onstar, and Roadside Assistance.  The Powertrain warranty on a Certified also gets extended to 100k miles, and the vehicle passes a 172-point inspection, assuring that the brake pads are at least  50%, there is at least 4/10 of tread on tires, etc.

We buy these Certified vehicles thru GM auctions, (some are 1 year-old and were driven by GM execs who have to drive the current model year, and swap out after 12 months; others are 3ish years old and are lease returns, a few are trade-ins or purchased thru a rental agency).

Personally, I lease a new vehicle for the family cruiser.  I've run into my share of "experts" who tell
 me what a rip-off a lease is, but I guess I just like taking advantage of myself.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2020, 07:59:01 PM »
Pretty common knowledge that cars depreciate much faster when they are newer and have fewer miles.

A car going from 7,500 to 8,000 miles will depreciate more than a car going from 150,000 to 150,500

Every used car on our lot has an online price ending in either "586" or "986."  (Our most expensive used vehicle is an '18 Yukon Denali for $54,586; our cheapest is a '04 Kia Forte for $5,986.)

I can't think of a time I have ever given an appraisal figure to a customer that didn't end with a "0."   I guess my point is virtually every car that has 7,500 miles would be worth the same is if it had 8,000 miles.  Maybe not Cameron's Dad car from Ferris Bueller, but certainly all these Mazdas everyone on this board seems to get so hard over.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
Why can't we just buy (new) cars direct from the manufacturer?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
Tesla is trying that.   Currently outlawed in Michigan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2020, 08:57:22 PM »
I had an odd experience last year.  I was buying a 3 year old car and found a good model outside Chicago.  I played the usual game, you fill out a form on the website for their "ePrice" and it's a few hundred bucks lower than what it's listed as.

After a few emails, I make them an offer.  It's not stupid low, but I figured they'd counter a little, I'd counter a little, then we'd split the difference.    I'm a buyer.  I want this car, I'm on the dance floor.

Instead, I get "yeah, um, we gave you the price."  Via email, this sounds like just a part of the game .. eventually they reluctantly come down $250 -- and add the deal-killer "someone else is looking at the car tomorrow." 

Frankly, they appeared offended I was trying to bargain with them.

Later, a different salesguy said, in different words, they were a no-haggle dealership.   I'm like .. you might want to put that on your website or something up front.

I ended up buying the car there .. they did negotiate on the trade in and my desire to screw around for a grand was low. 

(It's Rocky's money anyhow, we all get Scoop company cars.)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2020, 09:30:18 PM »

Federal government says you can't.  Not sure how Tesla gets away with it to the degree they do.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:33:14 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2020, 09:36:43 PM »
but certainly all these Mazdas everyone on this board seems to get so hard over.

Its a little baffling.  Its like no one has driven a fun car before.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2020, 09:53:16 PM »
Federal government says you can't.  Not sure how Tesla gets away with it to the degree they do.

Antiquated business model that needs to die. Does relatively nothing besides screw the consumer

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2020, 10:09:43 PM »
The “M” in MSRP stands for manufacturer. If you want to pay MSRP, I promise I’ll sell you a car and we never have to interact. Deal?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2020, 12:02:57 AM »
The easiest dealership experience I ever had was with a GM dealer in the Northern Chicago suburbs. Looked around but went to a Buick/GMC dealer in my neighborhood, where I bought a Buick Enclave (new). Price was incredible, people were fair and honest and there were no surprises. Car now has 117,000 miles on it and still looks like it is brand new.

Bets thing about it was when the car was selected and we negotiated, I walked home until the paperwork was ready. They called, I went over, reviewed everything, signed, gave them the check and drove off.

Liked the dealer so much I bought a Buick LaCrosse from him a year later. Same sales people. Honest, hardworking folks who found the car I wanted in the color I wanted. Negotiated a fair but not great deal. Still have the care eight years and 74,000 miles later.

BMW was the pushiest. I purchased a wonderful 528i from a dealer in Westmont. Agreed on the price and then spent an ungodly amount of time in the finance office. Tried to sell us a BMW maintenance package by saying, "you do know a BMW oil change costs $450.00." My wife, God love her, looked at the sales guy and said, "you have heard of Jiffy Lube, I presume?" The guy looked back at her and said, "you don't take a BMW to Jiffy Lube." My wife said back, "maybe you don't.... but...."

BMW, I'll admit, had the best financing package I've ever seen. Three year old CPO BMW and we were going to pay cash until they offered us two years for 0.99 percent.

Worst dealer experience was in the late 1980s in Downers Grove. It was a Chevy Dealer and we were talking about a second car for my wife. We went in together and the sales idiot began taking to me and ignoring my wife -- who would drive the car. Told me the features, etc., and asked, well, what do you think. I knew what he was doing and didn't like it much better than my wife did, so I answered him, "why are you asking me, it's her car!" The color ran out of the sales dude's face as he realized the extent of his ignorance.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2020, 07:44:30 AM »
The owner will have a much bigger impact on the longevity of the car than the manufacturer.

This 100%.  My parent's Mazda's usually get traded in or sold before they truly break.  Check reliability reports, and look at recalls.  That should give you a decent idea of longevity not based on ownership.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2020, 07:46:45 AM »
LOL.

I was buying my first new car in Nashville. We went to the Mitsubishi dealer (back in '92, when they still made cars), and tested the Galant. The car was OK, but I was grossed out by the salesman constantly spitting his tobacco spit into a Coke bottle. Ended up buying a Honda Accord and loved it.

Mitsubishi still makes cars.  Technically.  They're really just pieces of crap with 4 wheels and an engine.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2020, 07:50:40 AM »
Its a little baffling.  Its like no one has driven a fun car before.

Then name your 'fun' car so we can compare..  Mazda makes fun, reliable, good looking cars for reasonable prices.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
The “M” in MSRP stands for manufacturer. If you want to pay MSRP, I promise I’ll sell you a car and we never have to interact. Deal?

And the "S" stands for "suggested".  If I bake a pie and sell it to a grocery store, I could put an MSRP of $1,000 on it.  That doesn't necessarily mean that if I start selling my pies by mail order, I will be charging $1,000 apiece for them.

The sticker is B.S., just like the "invoice" is B.S.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »
Wi inferiority complexes sells Buicks.   He is permitted to speak ill of other brands.   He should say something like, "It looks like every Mazda buyer in the America is on this board" because that would be funny when you look at Mazda's sales numbers.

Good on ya, Wi IC.   And thanks for the perspective.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2020, 08:19:05 AM »
Then name your 'fun' car so we can compare..  Mazda makes fun, reliable, good looking cars for reasonable prices.

Yes, I would have to say that my MX-5 is a pretty fun car.  And for the price, you can't beat it, especially when you find a 12-year-old one in mint condition 13K miles for a fraction of the price of a new one.  Not only is it fun, one would be hard-pressed to find a car with a higher fun/cost ratio.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:26:32 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2020, 08:23:04 AM »
No wonder MU's endowment sucks ass, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"