collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA  (Read 27039 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Age of your vehicle hits record in USA
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »
2001 Suburban with about 270k on it.  A new one is damn near close to $100k. Cheaper to buy a summer home.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »
We have a friend with one.  And electric cars is now their only topic of conversation.  Don't be that guy.

Is that guy related to the Miata guy?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2019, 08:54:30 PM »
My brother and my first car was the inherited from my grandmother, 1974 Plymouth Scamp with the Slant-6.  The car was awesome including the front & rear windows going all to way down and the entire side of the car was wide open.  The steel supports rusted out and my dad had welded until one day I went over a bump and and the weld collapsed.  The car drove lopsided until my dad said enough. 
My parents bought a new car and we inherited their 1980 Oldsmobile Omega hatchback.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
My brother and my first car was the inherited from my grandmother, 1974 Plymouth Scamp with the Slant-6.  The car was awesome including the front & rear windows going all to way down and the entire side of the car was wide open.  The steel supports rusted out and my dad had welded until one day I went over a bump and and the weld collapsed.  The car drove lopsided until my dad said enough. 
My parents bought a new car and we inherited their 1980 Oldsmobile Omega hatchback.

Now we’re talking.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2019, 10:11:54 PM »
2001 Suburban with about 270k on it.  A new one is damn near close to $100k. Cheaper to buy a summer home.

I can help you fix whatever ails it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2019, 12:40:31 AM »
I can help you fix whatever ails it.

Actually, nothing ails it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2019, 05:46:35 AM »

My dad was an engineer who was very handy with cars, so my parents always bought used. They finally ponied up for their first new car in 1973 -- a forest green Plymouth Valiant (which was pretty similar to your Scamp).

9 years later, they bought another new car ... so their first new car became my first car. I went home to CT for spring break in 1982, and drove the Valiant back to Milwaukee.

I had a cassette deck put in before I left, and as I was cranking tunes at very high volume I was stepping on the gas. The cop who pulled me over in Indiana told me I was going 95 mph. When I showed contrition by repeatedly apologizing, and told him I was just a college kid trying to get back to school, he said:

"If I cite you for going 95 in a 55, you're going to jail. But I'll give you a break this time and just write you a ticket for going 65. You'll have to pay a fine, but you can be on your way to school. Now slow the (bleep) down."

I did. Never went over 60 the rest of the way to MU.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
thinking of doing the same with my X1. I've had no problems and only put on 47K in 5 years, BUT BMW's are expensive for repairs.
I’ve got a 2013 5 series with 67,000 miles on it.  When the warranty and maintenance plan ran out and I had some work that needed to be done,  I found out how expensive they can be.  The BMW concierge they assigned me said, You know what BMW stands for, right?  Bring Money With.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »
Let's see. 

'01: a collector about to be sold to my buddy for full restoration.
'07: 'brand new' Miata.  17,000 miles.  Absolutely cherry.
'03: V8 Explorer.  She's my tow vehicle and only has 80k. I was unbelievably blessed to find her last year replacing our '02 that gave up the ghost at 200k.  Back from the days before they ruined 'em.  Didn't even have to change any of my hitch setups.
'12: our daily driver Mazda6. About 55,000 miles on her.

We're not going to need a car for years.  ;D

Brother Glow, I hear you. I operate a "fleet!"

2011 Buick Enclave, 105,000 miles just replaced the steering rack and about to get new shocks. Should be good for 200,000+. Probably will go with my son back to college in the fall (by the way, brilliant strategy because the gas mileage is crappy, so he MUST limit his driving).

2012 LaCrosse, 62,000 miles. parked in a garage in Florida waiting for me to return next fall. Maintained beautifully, most people think it is new.

2008 VW Eos, My convertible. Registered in Florida. Visiting Illinois for the summer (used it to return our cocker spaniel to Chicago last May). Has 82,000 miles on it. Waxed and glossed like it is brand new.

2016 Rogue SV -- Leased to me for my daughter, who is buying the car off lease. Has 36,310 miles and good for another 150,000. Very well cared for by my daughter.

2016 BMW 528i X Drive -- Bought it last year from a BMW dealer in Westmont. Bought it for half its price new. Carefully maintained and polished and buffed monthly. Best part was that it only had 19,000 miles on it.

Other than mandatory body work from parking lot incidents, these cars have required modest repair. I agree with the sentiment that all cars are built better. In fact, when I bought the Enclave, I had not been into a GM showroom for 30 years (fallout from buying one of those "wonderful" GM X cars in the 1980s). I said something to the local Buick dealer and his comment was, "welcome back, sooner or later we felt we'd again get people like you."

The Enclave is a very well-done car. I'm not a big fan of the LaCrosse's steering (way too much play) but otherwise it is an extremely well built car.           

Besides changing fluids like a religion, I wash my own cars, buff and wax them a couple times a season and make sure they're always cleaned. I do a lot of the detail work myself (a very strange hobby I know, but I enjoy it) and it gives me an insight into whether I have surface scratches, chips or other points on the body needing repair.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:06:06 PM by dgies9156 »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »
The Tesla SUVs are some of the ugliest cars on the road. They game out with the cars and they were really slick and then they come out with the SUVs and there’s nothing to them.

Wait until the Rivian SUVs and Trucks hit the road. Those things look good.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
Consumer Reports?
You may find this interesting.

Going Under the Hood at Consumer Reports' Test Track

ttps://www.connecticutmag.com/the-connecticut-story/going-under-the-hood-at-consumer-reports-test-track/article_65599bd8-00aa-11e9-9c12-13a2a3a4ec77.html

I have no respect for consumer reports auto testing and reporting.  Their bias for certain makes automatically disqualifies them from any respect.  For example, they would give different ratings for two cars from two manufacturers that are built on the same assembly line.  For example, they gave the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix different reliability ratings even though they were both essentially Corolla wagons with only aesthetic variances. 

Years later, after Toyota had a number of massive recalls and controversies, they said they'd pull their "automatic" high reliability rating for Toyota.  Hello??  I thought they were supposed to be TESTING and researching reliability, not giving blanket benefit of the doubt.  Isn't that what subscribers were paying them for?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2019, 10:38:42 AM »
Wait until the Rivian SUVs and Trucks hit the road. Those things look good.

Yes, but IMO they resemble Ford pickups and Ford Flex's.  But if I had $100k to drop on a car they would be on my list.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
I have no respect for consumer reports auto testing and reporting.  Their bias for certain makes automatically disqualifies them from any respect.  For example, they would give different ratings for two cars from two manufacturers that are built on the same assembly line.  For example, they gave the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix different reliability ratings even though they were both essentially Corolla wagons with only aesthetic variances. 

Years later, after Toyota had a number of massive recalls and controversies, they said they'd pull their "automatic" high reliability rating for Toyota.  Hello??  I thought they were supposed to be TESTING and researching reliability, not giving blanket benefit of the doubt.  Isn't that what subscribers were paying them for?
Similar deal with Mustangs and the original Mazda 6.  Except they marked the 6 down specifically because it was built at the Flat Rock plant.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
Yes, but IMO they resemble Ford pickups and Ford Flex's.  But if I had $100k to drop on a car they would be on my list.

I just checked them out... they're $72,500... then subtract the $7,500 tax credit... $65k.

Its still a bit more than I'd pay for a brand new car, from a new company, and its their first model.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »
They bought the former Mitsubishi Chrysler plant on down state Illinois for a song.  Projecting a 400 mile range. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »
For what its worth, I had a 1979 Chrysler Newport 318, 495,000 miles.  Original motor, no work, replaced the rear end, and a few rebuilt transmissions. 

My latest VW was free, they replaced my 40,000 mile diesel with a new Golf, what a lucky dog.

In Italy the taxis are Mercedes station wagons. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2019, 07:10:45 AM »
RIP, Lee Iacocca.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
RIP, Lee Iacocca.

I Am Chairman Of Chrysler Corporation Of America.

First business book I ever read was his auto-biography, Iacocca.  Legend.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »
Just bought a new car. Plan to ride it for 10-11 years

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
I Am Chairman Of Chrysler Corporation Of America.

First business book I ever read was his auto-biography, Iacocca.  Legend.

He knew his hotcackes.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2020, 08:07:01 AM »
If you were buying someone a used car and your choice was a newer compact car or older mid size car/small suv, which would you buy?

Top of head example; Would you buy a 2015 Toyota Corolla or 2011 Toyota Camry type of comparison?  (similar costs) but obviously other differences.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
If you were buying someone a used car and your choice was a newer compact car or older mid size car/small suv, which would you buy?

Top of head example; Would you buy a 2015 Toyota Corolla or 2011 Toyota Camry type of comparison?  (similar costs) but obviously other differences.

I guess that depends on a few things.  Mileage matters more than model year... unless certain model years are known to be problematic.  Newer model years will get you more bells and whistles, but that is really it.

I'd buy the car that was the least beat up.  If you're buying from a dealership you probably won't be able to tell much, but get the car history report (carfax, seriously).  That should tell you all you really need to know about the car.

If the choice is between those two models, have the person you are buying the car for decide.  They're both fine runners that should last for at least a decade.  Much longer if properly maintained.  300k miles easily.

Is the driver a new driver?  Do they have a family?  Things to consider before deciding on SUV or newer car.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2020, 08:56:53 AM »
I guess that depends on a few things.  Mileage matters more than model year... unless certain model years are known to be problematic.  Newer model years will get you more bells and whistles, but that is really it.

I'd buy the car that was the least beat up.  If you're buying from a dealership you probably won't be able to tell much, but get the car history report (carfax, seriously).  That should tell you all you really need to know about the car.

If the choice is between those two models, have the person you are buying the car for decide.  They're both fine runners that should last for at least a decade.  Much longer if properly maintained.  300k miles easily.

Is the driver a new driver?  Do they have a family?  Things to consider before deciding on SUV or newer car.

Thanks. Yeah, some things to consider. In the example above 2015 started the new safety features etc...so I would consider it to be the newest year needed. There's always some new feature or redesign every so often. 2012 was an interior redo for the Camry but safety, infotainment type stuff later. Then you get into things such as it being more Iphone compatible than Android etc...these types of things can be pretty endless.

People quantity shouldn't be an issue. They are used to mid size or bigger.

I have been using for research:
cars.com
CarGurus
true car
Car max
Enterprise
Consumer Reports
Edmunds
KBB
Warehouse stores (Costco and Sam's have car buying programs)
Local dealers

Any other suggestions?

I am leaning towards Toyota/Honda for long term reliability. I have heard things about road noise with CR-V's...? But that and Rav4 would be possibilities. example: We have an extended family member with a 2010 Honda Accord with 253k miles. (They had to drive it long distance for a long time I believe)

I have mostly had either new cars, livee in big cities where I didn't need one or work has provided it for me. So I don't buy cars too often. But I have driven many types for periods of time.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »

Depends who it is for. Is it for a kid? I would get a 2011 Camry.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »
Thanks. Yeah, some things to consider. In the example above 2015 started the new safety features etc...so I would consider it to be the newest year needed. There's always some new feature or redesign every so often. 2012 was an interior redo for the Camry but safety, infotainment type stuff later. Then you get into things such as it being more Iphone compatible than Android etc...these types of things can be pretty endless.

People quantity shouldn't be an issue. They are used to mid size or bigger.

I have been using for research:
cars.com
CarGurus
true car
Car max
Enterprise
Consumer Reports
Edmunds
KBB
Warehouse stores (Costco and Sam's have car buying programs)
Local dealers

Any other suggestions?

I am leaning towards Toyota/Honda for long term reliability. I have heard things about road noise with CR-V's...? But that and Rav4 would be possibilities. example: We have an extended family member with a 2010 Honda Accord with 253k miles. (They had to drive it long distance for a long time I believe)

I have mostly had either new cars, livee in big cities where I didn't need one or work has provided it for me. So I don't buy cars too often. But I have driven many types for periods of time.

All great resources.  Honda and Toyota are very reliable.  Don't sleep on Kias or Hyundai either.  They started out cheap and shoddy, but are very reliable vehicles currently.  Road noise on the lower end SUVs is going to be a thing no matter who you buy from.

Personally, I own Mazdas.  Never have any problems either.   If you're looking at the CRV, check out the CX-5 from Mazda.  Very similar.