Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Is this good for the big east

Good for the Big East
260 (82.3%)
Bad for the Big East
28 (8.9%)
Arby's sauce packet
28 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: POLL:Uconn to Big East good or bad?  (Read 25034 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: POLL:Uconn to Big East good or bad?
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2019, 04:43:22 PM »
Good polling results.

This one got a lot of responses:
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58467.0
We have a very active board relative to other big east teams

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
Our moderators made an excellent product that is easy to use.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2019, 04:48:08 PM »

We have a lot of overactive fans with way too much time on their hands.

This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
Wtf?  Arby's is tied with bad?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
Our moderators made an excellent product that is easy to use.

I've seen the other boards teams are on. They are downright awful to navigate and use.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2019, 08:37:25 PM »
Sneaky positive advantage of UConn in the Big East is the ESPN visibility....both being local fans in Bristol and as a provider of talent that ends up at ESPN
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2019, 09:47:11 PM »
I'd like to change my vote.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »
Wtf?  Arby's is tied with bad?

Arby's to me represents the "there's no effing way to know at this point" answer. And we don't. There's lots of reasons for concerns, there are also reasons for optimism. Could go either way. So Arby's.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2019, 10:22:10 PM »
One other thing that I think could be addressed. UConn wasn't the only school seeking an ACC invite that failed back when the Old Big East broke up.....Some of our Catholic 7 brethren....and ourselves were trying our best to convince the ACC to take on basketball only members.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2019, 05:28:05 AM »
My guess is politically that is untenable....hopefully that doesn’t get me a temp ban here.

A lot of money was poured into football, stadium, coaching staff, etc, and just burning things to the ground is not what pols do very often.  Usually it is double down and then triple down for all too many of them. Why would this be different?

Chico's is spot on here.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2019, 05:55:01 AM »

Which is why I said it was good...as long as UConn is not the beginning of the addition of more FB schools.

I have no idea what the future holds, so that could happen. But I think it's quite unlikely for the exact reason you stated - because of what happened 6 years ago. IMHO, Val and the crew have that front and center in their minds as they contemplate the future.

what decent/good schools sans football, but with good basketball programs and academics and a better proximity than say, gonzaga are out there?  gonzaga might be a good get, geographics aside-note hawaii seems to pull off the logistics part just fine
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »

what decent/good schools sans football, but with good basketball programs and academics and a better proximity than say, gonzaga are out there?  gonzaga might be a good get, geographics aside-note hawaii seems to pull off the logistics part just fine

I thought this board has gone over them multiple times over the years, but since you asked:

SLU
Richmond
VCU
Dayton
St. Joe's
Wichita State
Fordham

I know you can question how "decent/good" some of these programs are, but if we're honest, they are all better than DePaul and maybe even St. John's, and a couple (VCU, WSU) could easily become top-half BE teams. I honestly want no part of most of these programs and hope we stick to 11, but if the BE chose to expand further, I would prefer them to schools with DI football programs, like UC or Memphis.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »

I thought this board has gone over them multiple times over the years, but since you asked:

SLU
Richmond
VCU
Dayton
St. Joe's
Wichita State
Fordham

I know you can question how "decent/good" some of these programs are, but if we're honest, they are all better than DePaul and maybe even St. John's, and a couple (VCU, WSU) could easily become top-half BE teams. I honestly want no part of most of these programs and hope we stick to 11, but if the BE chose to expand further, I would prefer them to schools with DI football programs, like UC or Memphis.

Fordham?  Seriously? What has St. Joe's done in hoops since West and Nelson graduated? Besides, Nova would never sign off on St. Joe's joining.

And, you have to take into account all other sports.  DePaul and St. John's have overall departments stronger than most, if not all of those schools.  The Big East is more than a Basketball conference.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »
Fordham?  Seriously? What has St. Joe's done in hoops since West and Nelson graduated? Besides, Nova would never sign off on St. Joe's joining.

And, you have to take into account all other sports.  DePaul and St. John's have overall departments stronger than most, if not all of those schools.  The Big East is more than a Basketball conference.

!st paragraph? Agree 100%.

2nd paragraph? Maybe more than a basketball conference - but not so much that it matters.

Richie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
As an MU grad who loves our program first and foremost, but also a New Englander who loved the Friars and remembers the excitement of the first BE season in 79-80 and the disappointment of Gtown losing to a Big 10 team pre-Ewing in the NCAA tourney, none of the teams mentioned below belong in the Big East, now or then.

I already sound like the get off my lawn guy, but UConn belongs in the BE. They had a solid program under Dom Perno, Corny Thompson was a favorite, and then Calhoun took then national. Those teams and programs are not BE teams, at all. UConn to the BE is a win/win, even if they leave in 5 years, which I do not believe will happen. 

SLU
Richmond
VCU
Dayton
St. Joe's
Wichita State
Fordham

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »
Arby's to me represents the "there's no effing way to know at this point" answer. And we don't. There's lots of reasons for concerns, there are also reasons for optimism. Could go either way. So Arby's.

Ummm to be clear, there are no reasons for concern.  It’s f’n UConn not ECU or even Dayton. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2019, 06:28:26 PM »
Ummm to be clear, there are no reasons for concern.  It’s f’n UConn not ECU or even Dayton.

There are. They've been well outlined. Just because some choose to dismiss them doesn't negate their existence.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
There are. They've been well outlined. Just because some choose to dismiss them doesn't negate their existence.

The only one I've seen brought up is that they might leave one day. That's not a reason for concern. You milk them for all you can however long they are here and then collect a fat penalty check when they leave.

You said earlier that this inviting a fox into the henhouse. It's not. It's inviting a fellow fox into a den of foxes. Every single school in the Big East would burn down every other program in a heartbeat if it meant getting an invite to the ACC. The fact that UConn also wants into the ACC is not a reason for concern.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »
The only one I've seen brought up is that they might leave one day. That's not a reason for concern. You milk them for all you can however long they are here and then collect a fat penalty check when they leave.

You said earlier that this inviting a fox into the henhouse. It's not. It's inviting a fellow fox into a den of foxes. Every single school in the Big East would burn down every other program in a heartbeat if it meant getting an invite to the ACC. The fact that UConn also wants into the ACC is not a reason for concern.
Just to refresh peoples memory,there were a whole bunch of people at a pretty high level in Georgetown working the system to try and get them invited to the ACC as a basketball only member during the entire period of the dismemberment of the old Big East. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »
Just to refresh peoples memory,there were a whole bunch of people at a pretty high level in Georgetown working the system to try and get them invited to the ACC as a basketball only member during the entire period of the dismemberment of the old Big East.

It wasn't just Georgetown. They were just the last one to get the hint.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:57 PM »
It wasn't just Georgetown. They were just the last one to get the hint.
The funny thing was their fan base actually believed it was their devine right.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2019, 11:41:48 PM »

EXACTLY!  Meanwhile UConn is burning down their football team to keep their basketball team warm. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2019, 12:47:39 AM »
The funny thing was their fan base actually believed it was their devine right.

I’ve heard from Georgetown grads that an Ivy League invite could happen at any time. They really believe this.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
EXACTLY!  Meanwhile UConn is burning down their football team to keep their basketball team warm.

What exactly are they doing to burn down football? Everyone keeps saying this, but UConn keeps saying they haven't yet decided what they will do. I don't believe they don't have a plan, but continually putting off what it is doesn't inspire confidence.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
Leaving a conference with little likelihood of their football team joining another one of equal or greater stature means they’re de-emphasizing football. And again I’m not sure what the harm is otherwise.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow