[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Herro  (Read 23520 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Herro
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
Had zero to do with it.

Rookie coach mistake.
Outstanding Comedy
Goal is National Championship

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »
Outstanding Comedy

Hard to Pry that Bone.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
Kid can flat out ball. Went from potentially undrafted as a freshman to the lottery. Worked his ass off to get der.  Woulda looked outstanding in an MU uni, hey?

He would've looked as good in an MU uniform as Zion and RJ would've looked.

Doesn't change the fact that none of them were ever going to put on an MU uniform.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »
He went to MU because his mom was sick. 

BS. Fake news. Lie. Please supply links to this made up story.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
BS. Fake news. Lie. Please supply links to this made up story.

While Burton’s career was taking off, little did he or his siblings know, Burton-Malone was dying. She was diagnosed with breast cancer as early as 2009. Even her daughter doesn’t know when for sure. Burton-Malone tried to keep it under wraps and didn’t tell her children until 2012. The decision had a monumental impact on Burton, who decided to attend Marquette so he could stay close to home and support his mother. Burton-Malone would undergo chemotherapy treatments and still come to games."

"I guess I would say I didn’t process it right away,” Burton said. “It took me a little bit before I actually processed it and realized she was actually gone.”

The family had time to prepare for her death. Burton-Malone had planned her own funeral. But it rocked Burton’s world. Burton had attended Marquette to be close to his mom.

Now that she was gone, he didn’t have a reason to stay. Instead, her death was a reason to go.

“He couldn’t even go to the stadium or stuff because it took a toll on him because he always thought about my mom because she was always there at the games — and loud,” said Burton’s brother, Omar.Burton not only wanted to leave Marquette, he wanted to quit basketball."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2017/03/14/deonte-burton-leaving-legacy----bright-pink-one----honor-his-mom/99162890/

Let me know if you want more "made up", fake news, BS, Lies as this isn't the only article on this subject.

You are welcome!!

Love and Kisses

Cheeks

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »
And let's do it again.   The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel did a nice write-up, including his pronounced love for MU and how he would like to get a Masters degree from MU....it also goes into why he left and why he came in the first place.  More lies. Fake News. BS....LOL.  There are at LEAST 5 other articles that say the same thing, written by different people....they're all in cahoots together, eh Lenny?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2017/03/15/damato-emotional-homecoming-burton/99185454/

"His mom had been his biggest cheerleader and came to games even while undergoing chemotherapy treatments. He’d picked Marquette after starring at Milwaukee Vincent High School because it allowed him to be close to her.

He left because after his mother, Barbara Burton-Malone, lost her five-year battle with breast cancer in October 2014, he needed a change of scenery."

Love and kisses.

Cheeks
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:31:00 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
Had zero to do with it.

Rookie coach mistake.

Sorry Herman

“I was in a bad space when it came to basketball after my mother passed,” Burton said. “I didn’t want to play anymore and getting away from the city helped. It was a long process. I just had to heal and accept the fact that my mother died.”

Sorry Herman, how is the above sentence = Zero to do with it and a rookie coach mistake?  The man needed to get out, and he did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2019, 04:41:38 PM »
MU may have won the National title last year. Herro's leadership and skills would have reigned in Howard's game.

This is fun stuff.

Herro couldn't lead a team full of 5-stars at a true blueblood past an overmanned Auburn team in the Elite Eight, but he would have led Marquette to the national title.

Herro couldn't lead his high school team within 45 points of Bay View in an early-round WIAA tourney game, but he would have led Marquette to the national title.

You forgot to say that Herro would have lept a tall building in a single bound and saved the world from Lex Luthor, too!

This thread is filled with fairy tales about Burton being thrown under the bus, about the Hausers being either angels or devils, etc, but the "Herro is the best player in the history of mankind" angle is a personal fave.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »

While Burton’s career was taking off, little did he or his siblings know, Burton-Malone was dying. She was diagnosed with breast cancer as early as 2009. Even her daughter doesn’t know when for sure. Burton-Malone tried to keep it under wraps and didn’t tell her children until 2012. The decision had a monumental impact on Burton, who decided to attend Marquette so he could stay close to home and support his mother. Burton-Malone would undergo chemotherapy treatments and still come to games."

"I guess I would say I didn’t process it right away,” Burton said. “It took me a little bit before I actually processed it and realized she was actually gone.”

The family had time to prepare for her death. Burton-Malone had planned her own funeral. But it rocked Burton’s world. Burton had attended Marquette to be close to his mom.

Now that she was gone, he didn’t have a reason to stay. Instead, her death was a reason to go.

“He couldn’t even go to the stadium or stuff because it took a toll on him because he always thought about my mom because she was always there at the games — and loud,” said Burton’s brother, Omar.Burton not only wanted to leave Marquette, he wanted to quit basketball."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2017/03/14/deonte-burton-leaving-legacy----bright-pink-one----honor-his-mom/99162890/

Let me know if you want more "made up", fake news, BS, Lies as this isn't the only article on this subject.

You are welcome!!

Love and Kisses

Cheeks

I see nothing/zero in either article quoting Burton on the subject - only assertions (like yours) from the sportswriters looking for a hook/angle to a feel good Mother/Son article. She was his biggest fan, went to all of his games. Whether healthy or sick he was staying close - that meant Marquette.

He is quoted as saying the reason behind his departure was his Mom's death, though. I believe it was A reason but not the only one. Had you said A reason Burton went to MU was his Mom's illness I would have no problem. THE reason is a different story (lazy, kind of like only, ever, never, etc.).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 05:50:58 PM by Lennys Tap »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2019, 05:36:04 PM »
I’m confused about why some are so certain there was something more nefarious about Deonte transferring.  Are we that hard up to paint Wojo in a negative light we want to dredge up the death of his mother and convince others there was something else despite his own words?  The kids mother dies and he’s in a world of hurt and transfers.  Five years later, it’s still a referendum on Wojo.  No one knows anything other than what Deonte said.  Amazing
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »
I’m confused about why some are so certain there was something more nefarious about Deonte transferring.  Are we that hard up to paint Wojo in a negative light we want to dredge up the death of his mother and convince others there was something else despite his own words?  The kids mother dies and he’s in a world of hurt and transfers.  Five years later, it’s still a referendum on Wojo.  No one knows anything other than what Deonte said.  Amazing

The only people, to my recollection, I've seen say something definitive about deonte and how wojo "threw him under the bus" is ners and Herman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2019, 05:41:40 PM »
The only people, to my recollection, I've seen say something definitive about deonte and how wojo "threw him under the bus" is ners and Herman.

And Herman constantly quotes Ners, as if that's "proof" of something.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »
And Herman constantly quotes Ners, as if that's "proof" of something.
I just want to give him credit for all the work he put in.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
I have a friend going blind from diabetes.  He is selling his library of 1,400 books, mostly military.
I know hard to believe.  Well I looked over his collection and probably half were about some "inside story".  Conspiracies about the Titanic, Pearl Harbour, Bengazi, 911, Chappaquitic, the assinations of the Kennedy's, the Kursk sinking,  TWA flight 900, Pentagon secretes, and on and on.
My rakeway, is that we are living in a time when EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.

MUScoop trades in conspiracies.  What a world we live in.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »
I have a friend going blind from diabetes.  He is selling his library of 1,400 books, mostly military.
I know hard to believe.  Well I looked over his collection and probably half were about some "inside story".  Conspiracies about the Titanic, Pearl Harbour, Bengazi, 911, Chappaquitic, the assinations of the Kennedy's, the Kursk sinking,  TWA flight 900, Pentagon secretes, and on and on.
My rakeway, is that we are living in a time when EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.

MUScoop trades in conspiracies.  What a world we live in.
Hopefully you bought a few .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
Lenny, they're all in cahoots.  All these journalists over different time periods interviewing him heard the same thing, wrote the same thing.....but it's a giant lie, fake news, all because......well because someone thinks their bestest coach fandom is in jeopardy.  Don't worry, Buzz did plenty to get him to MU, and Deonte's mom liked Buzz a lot.  But every one of these authors says the same thing, that he stayed locally because of his mom.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/17/nba-draft-prospect-deonte-burton-journey

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2017/03/15/damato-emotional-homecoming-burton/99185454/

http://www.isdhoops.com/article/mothers-love

Etc etc etc

Yup, all in cahoots....all making up the same lies and fake news.  Congratulations.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »
Lenny, they're all in cahoots.  All these journalists over different time periods interviewing him heard the same thing, wrote the same thing.....but it's a giant lie, fake news, all because......well because someone thinks their bestest coach fandom is in jeopardy.  Don't worry, Buzz did plenty to get him to MU, and Deonte's mom liked Buzz a lot.  But every one of these authors says the same thing, that he stayed locally because of his mom.

Etc etc etc

Yup, all in cahoots....all making up the same lies and fake news.  Congratulations.
Why are you so worked up over this it is past history. Different historians have different takes. Of all people you should know that news stories are sourced by PR.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2019, 08:18:33 PM »

Etc etc etc

Thanks for adding a couple of articles (why you relinked two I don't know).

Originally you said that THE reason that Burton came to MU was his mother's illness and that THE reason that he left was her death.

In discussing Deonte's decision to attend Marquette, one article states "Williams was integral in getting Deonte to Marquette". Translation? He was A reason (as was his Mom's illness). I'm sure there were also other reasons. Saying one was THE reason is lazy - and wrong.

His departure is a little trickier, but the article you cite talks about his close relationship with Buzz and about how skeptical he was of the new staff. Sure sounds like he may have stayed had Buzz stuck around. At the very least, his skepticism with Wojo and co. is A reason he left.

Bottom line - simplistic answers ("THE reason" as opposed to "A reason") to life's big decisions are almost always incomplete and therefore wrong. One of your own articles makes that clear.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »
To say Stan Johnson was THE reason Markus Howard chose Marquette is blasphemy.  To say Deonte’s mom’s illness was THE reason he chose MU is totally fine. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
To say Stan Johnson was THE reason Markus Howard chose Marquette is blasphemy.  To say Deonte’s mom’s illness was THE reason he chose MU is totally fine.

Of course.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2019, 10:00:02 PM »

I can only speak for myself. I have no problem with anybody saying Stan Johnson was THE reason Markus chose MU. All I say is that Markus came to MU because Wojo was smart enough to hire Stan Johnson. I view this as a major success for Wojo, for Stan and for MU basketball. Why anybody would view it differently is beyond me.

I totally agree that it's silly to say one factor is THE reason for this kind of thing. Heck, it's usually silly to say one factor is THE reason for anything in life. There almost always are multiple factors for any big decision. including the reasons Burton chose MU and chose to leave MU.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »

I totally agree that it's silly to say one factor is THE reason for this kind of thing. Heck, it's usually silly to say one factor is THE reason for anything in life. There almost always are multiple factors for any big decision. including the reasons Burton chose MU and chose to leave MU.

+1. Making the complex simple is great for pushing agendas but bad for discovering the truth.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2019, 10:58:12 PM »
Why are you so worked up over this it is past history. Different historians have different takes. Of all people you should know that news stories are sourced by PR.

Some news stories are, but usually with issuing a controlled statement or product launch, etc...interviews are usually not.  These were sports interviews.  I’ve been interviewed many times by the press, usually in sports publications and they are just a different animal....no planted quotes.   

The fact is that Burton suffered from clinical depression which he came out later and admitted.  The young man needed a change, he left the city and it was the right thing for him to do.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »
Thanks for adding a couple of articles (why you relinked two I don't know).

Originally you said that THE reason that Burton came to MU was his mother's illness and that THE reason that he left was her death.

In discussing Deonte's decision to attend Marquette, one article states "Williams was integral in getting Deonte to Marquette". Translation? He was A reason (as was his Mom's illness). I'm sure there were also other reasons. Saying one was THE reason is lazy - and wrong.

His departure is a little trickier, but the article you cite talks about his close relationship with Buzz and about how skeptical he was of the new staff. Sure sounds like he may have stayed had Buzz stuck around. At the very least, his skepticism with Wojo and co. is A reason he left.

Bottom line - simplistic answers ("THE reason" as opposed to "A reason") to life's big decisions are almost always incomplete and therefore wrong. One of your own articles makes that clear.

Where did I say it was the only reason or the reason?  He went to MU because his mom was sick.  True, factual.  Nice try on spinning out of this one.  No dice.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2019, 11:25:10 PM »
You guys are losers.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback