[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154377 times)

monkeyman34

• Starter
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #450 on: October 10, 2019, 07:24:49 AM »
Missouri is literally SEC country.
False, no one in actual SEC territory legitimately considers Missouri SEC country. Geographically they're an outlier and they only joined in 2012.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #451 on: October 10, 2019, 07:43:53 AM »
False, no one in actual SEC territory legitimately considers Missouri SEC country. Geographically they're an outlier and they only joined in 2012.

They can’t deny the truth. It’s SEC country.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #452 on: October 10, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »
No city exemplifies the southeast the way Columba, MO does.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #453 on: October 10, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »
Or, maybe Gonzaga and St. Thomas could trade campuses.

LOL!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2019, 09:02:11 AM »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #455 on: October 10, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
I think any new candidate needs to bring tangible value. I’m not sure that’s SLU. Honestly, outside Notre Dame and Gonzaga, I’m not sure anyone brings enough value and is a good fit.

Brew, I'm curious why you did not mention VCU as a school that brings value and is a good fit. They have been very successful despite losing several coaches to stronger conferences. Their current coach looks great to me. When Shaka was considering the Texas job, a Richmond strip club offered free lap dances for Shaka and his staff (no pun intended) if he stayed in Richmond. The fans include just about everyone in the city (like Creighton/Omaha). I lived in Richmond for many years and can tell you that any Gtown concerns about VCU being too close to DC are BS because the driving time is easily 3 hours, often longer, through nightmarish traffic. The "they're only 100 miles to the south of us" is irrelevent.

I'm not saying we need another team in the BE, but if that time comes, why not VCU? The fan support goes well beyond Richmond. It's pretty much state wide so there's that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #456 on: October 10, 2019, 09:32:06 AM »
VCU isn’t big enough to divide the pool another share. Plus I think the true round robin is too important to add another team that doesn’t bring revenue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #457 on: October 10, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
 Val has positioned the Big East in a really great position: we don't have to expand and can afford to be choosers. A true round robin that added UConn (and that fan base) back into the Big East is huge for revenue (both tickets and current and future tv deal). Now we can wait for the "right" one to come along (just like UConn).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #458 on: October 10, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »
UConn brings significant name recognition and cachet -- as a founding member of the Big East, as a four-time national champion (1999, 2004, 2011, 2014), and as the most successful women's basketball program in the country.

Not many schools can match that resume. FOX Sports is probably already planning the promotions for the first UConn-Nova, UConn-Georgetown and UConn-Seton Hall matchups during the 2020-21 Big East conference schedule.

The VCU Rams are definitely an intriguing candidate. On the court, they've made the NCAA tournament 10 out of the last 13 seasons -- winning nine games along the way, including a 2011 Final Four appearance. VCU is a large university (30,000+ enrollment) compared to the other Big East schools. The Richmond metro area ranks 44th in the country. (Milwaukee and Omaha rank 39th and 59th, respectively.)

That said, I don't think VCU moves the needle enough to warrant adding a 12th team to the Big East. The case for St. Louis is even less compelling.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #459 on: October 10, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
The case for St. Louis is even less compelling.

Disagree. SLU brings a semi-recognizable coach and great recruiter with his program on an upward trend. They have an untapped BE market with a rich recruiting talent base and an entire city of fans. And they fit the BE profile. Would they probably get knocked around for the first 2-3 years? Sure, maybe. But remember they went to SHU last year and won (they play again on 11/17) and beat Butler at home. I think they'd be far from a pushover.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #460 on: October 10, 2019, 11:04:38 AM »
I agree St Louis would be a good fit for the conference and would most likely thrive once invited.  I’m sure this is a source of frustration for their most ardent fans.  But...the 20 game round robin schedule is perfect and cannot be tampered with unless ND comes a calling (too big of a national brand to pass up and they are unlikely to do this).  As the new iteration of the conference gets older the rivalries just keep getting better and that has everything to do with playing every team home and away yearly.   The Big East should not expand for the foreseeable future.  It is truly an outstanding basketball conference. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #461 on: October 10, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »
SLU is can be defined as flashes and potential. (Spoon, Majerus flashes)

1) Preparation meets opportunity.
2) Timing
3) Luck

SLU chose the path of A-10 instead of MVC to be more amongst similar/like schools in urban markets, Northeast, etc....and it was a better decision for them. It isn’t easy though. Nothing against the A-10 but those teams aren’t going to move the needle much there with exceptions. One of the loudest games I’ve attended was VCU at SLU Shaka Smart/Majerus players era. VCU was the hot team, played 94 feet fast. Place was packed and loud. (Think Steve Novak winner over ND or Aaron Gray and Pitt at the BC on a Saturday night loud). The community there likes basketball and comes out when they have something competitive and entertaining to watch. It doesn’t take a lot.

SLU hasn’t been able to string together seasons and eras for long periods. The current President, Admin, board, while not rah rah ideal, is significantly better than their past one.

They have specific boosters now. They have the facilities.

Their hope is Travis Ford can make them a consistent NCAA team. He understands the at times complex and frustrating A-10 from his UMass days. And he has Power 5 experience at Oklahoma St. (Former Mizzou/Kentucky player so he understands the region, both the Rust belt Northeast parts and the small town Southern parts) So it’s a very understandable choice/strategy. He inherited a mess but he has quickly had a nice rebuild thus far.

Obviously Big East named schools would move the needle quite a bit there. Fans there would get excited to see the Marquette, Xavier, Villanova types. etc...and some are very close distances. And the non-football league is a good fit for them.

All SLU has to do is be competitive consistently over time and play against competitive teams, instead of flashes. The interest in hoops is high in the market, a top 20 pop. 3 million market. The prep level continues to produce some quality high major players too.

They are certainly a legit future consideration.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #462 on: October 10, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »
St. Louis is the 20th largest metro area in the country. Market size: check.

SLU has no football program whatsoever. Basketball focus: check.

The Billikens play in Chaifetz Arena, which opened downtown in 2008 and can accommodate up to 10,000 fans. Facilities, check.

But SLU doesn't offer that much in the way of program history or fan interest -- even in the city of St. Louis. The school has made just 5 NCAA appearances this millennium, and only 10 in its entire history. (MU, by comparison, has made 12 NCAA appearances since 2000 and 33 in its history.) The program's biggest accomplishment is a single trip to the Elite Eight almost 70 years ago. Program history: meh.

Average home attendance last season was 6,890 fans. That's not terrible. But it's only third best in the Atlantic 10. It would be 10th best in the current Big East, only ahead of DePaul. Or to put it another way -- in a market bigger than Milwaukee, one without a pro basketball franchise to compete with, the Billikens draw far less than half as many fans as Marquette. Program interest: yawn.

For FOX Sports, the Big East is a product to sell. If SLU basketball isn't all that compelling for fans in the city, why should basketball fans in New York, Philadelphia or Chicago care?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #463 on: October 10, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »
Omaha to New Haven is 1,300 miles.

We got Yale?  That will certainly help the academic reputation of the conference, though their basketball has been a little lackluster.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #464 on: October 10, 2019, 12:42:24 PM »
Brew, I'm curious why you did not mention VCU as a school that brings value and is a good fit.

They're fine, but Georgetown covers the DMV market, VCU is a public university, and they don't bring the kind of value a UConn, ND, or Gonzaga does.

If we need to add, they'd be on the shortlist, but I don't see a need to add. If a school isn't a home run, no question about it addition, then I'm not really interested. I'd put them in the SLU, Dayton, Temple, Memphis, Wichita State pile of "if we have to, we'll consider them" schools. But we don't, so I wouldn't.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #465 on: October 10, 2019, 01:04:02 PM »
They're fine, but Georgetown covers the DMV market, VCU is a public university, and they don't bring the kind of value a UConn, ND, or Gonzaga does.

If we need to add, they'd be on the shortlist, but I don't see a need to add. If a school isn't a home run, no question about it addition, then I'm not really interested. I'd put them in the SLU, Dayton, Temple, Memphis, Wichita State pile of "if we have to, we'll consider them" schools. But we don't, so I wouldn't.

I'm not sure how markets are determined, but I lived in Richmond for a year and NOBODY talked about Georgetown when college sports came up. People talked Va Tech, UVA, VCU and Richmond, and most out of state mentions were for ACC schools in North Carolina like Duke, UNC, etc.

So while network honchos might think Gtown covers that market, the people in Richmond don't seem to know that.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #466 on: October 10, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
Perplexed how UMass never gets mentioned. Hard to call ourselves the Big East with no presence in the Boston media market as it’s the big void in our footprint.

Would love to get BC again but barring a major change in the money they make from being part of ACC football it most likely won’t happen (they don’t make a ton on football tickets sales as they play in a small stadium and don’t appear to be sold out too often on TV). 

However UMass is independent in football and would be a natural rival to UConn.

All they need is to bring in a crooked young coach again to get a Marcus Camby type of player and they are a hot commodity again and a perfect fit for the Big East.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:12:01 PM by duanewade »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #467 on: October 10, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »

The Billikens play in Chaifetz Arena, which opened downtown in 2008 and can accommodate up to 10,000 fans. Facilities, check.

But SLU doesn't offer that much in the way of program history or fan interest -- even in the city of St. Louis. The school has made just 5 NCAA appearances this millennium, and only 10 in its entire history. (MU, by comparison, has made 12 NCAA appearances since 2000 and 33 in its history.) The program's biggest accomplishment is a single trip to the Elite Eight almost 70 years ago. Program history: meh.

Average home attendance last season was 6,890 fans. That's not terrible. But it's only third best in the Atlantic 10. It would be 10th best in the current Big East, only ahead of DePaul. Or to put it another way -- in a market bigger than Milwaukee, one without a pro basketball franchise to compete with, the Billikens draw far less than half as many fans as Marquette. Program interest: yawn.

For FOX Sports, the Big East is a product to sell. If SLU basketball isn't all that compelling for fans in the city, why should basketball fans in New York, Philadelphia or Chicago care?

Chaifetz is on campus. They used to play downtown in the Blues arena.  They drew well back in the mid 90's but many of those tickets were free or heavily discounted.   SLU will always be second or even third when it comes to college hoops in STL compared to Mizzou and Illinois.  Kansas has a big following there too. So "market size" isn't going to really be advantageous to their cause.

Oh, and that "trip" to the Elite Eight was where there were only 16 teams. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »

I'm not sure how markets are determined, but I lived in Richmond for a year and NOBODY talked about Georgetown when college sports came up. People talked Va Tech, UVA, VCU and Richmond, and most out of state mentions were for ACC schools in North Carolina like Duke, UNC, etc.

So while network honchos might think Gtown covers that market, the people in Richmond don't seem to know that.

Richmond is its own market. DMV is the 6th largest market, Richmond is #56. Honestly, a public school with very little basketball history, no ties to the rest of the league, no national footprint, and in a middling media market, I just don't see where they would garner interest.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
Going to 12 only dilutes the league.

Divisions & unbalanced schedules are, IMO, the beginning of the end of a conference. 

The only exceptions are Notre Dame & Gonzaga. 

And of course certainly you can make a case for other Power 5 schools likes Duke, BC, Wake, etc but i think we all believe those are impossible.  Of course I would put ND as nearly impossible. Unless something crazy happened like Fox outbidding NBC for ND football (NBC's deal expires in 2025).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:37:34 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
Going to 12 only dilutes the league.

Divisions & unbalanced schedules are, IMO, the beginning of the end of a conference. 

The only exceptions are Notre Dame & Gonzaga. 

And of course certainly you can make a case for other Power 5 schools likes Duke, BC, Wake, etc but i think we all believe those are impossible.  Of course I would put ND as nearly impossible. Unless something crazy happened like Fox outbidding NBC for ND football.

This exactly. Notre Dame and Gonzaga are exceptions because of the value they bring. I think both are unrealistic. ND's ACC deal likely rules them out and Gonzaga's location makes them impractical. And that's okay, but if the circumstances change, you consider them.

Wake, Kansas, Duke, Boston College, all worth a thought, but would require a tectonic shift in how things are going currently.

Otherwise, there's no one that brings enough value.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2019, 01:38:07 PM »
We got Yale? That will certainly help the academic reputation of the conference, though their basketball has been a little lackluster.

LOL -- I meant Storrs, not New Haven.

Richie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2019, 01:41:18 PM »
Perplexed how UMass never gets mentioned. Hard to call ourselves the Big East with no presence in the Boston media market as it’s the big void in our footprint.

However UMass is independent in football and would be a natural rival to UConn.

All they need is to bring in a crooked young coach again to get a Marcus Camby type of player and they are a hot commodity again and a perfect fit for the Big East.

Lived my whole life out here other than my years at MU and as many on this board have said, Boston is not a college market and never will be. Even when good, UMASS and BC barely register and barely garner attention out here. UMass would never be considered for the Big East.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »

Two things:

1) SLU fans

2) Local fan/community interest.

Local fan interest/support. SLU plus the community of basketball fans but not SLU alums etc...those are the two targets of fans. SLU used to get 17,000 top 25 attendance team...for Spoon Ball. 10,000 (higher priced tix) for Majerus era. That is the SLU support.  NIT level teams under Rich Grawer.  SLU gets great walk up support in the community when they are competitive.  The community itself has a good appetite for hoops.

Community hoops interest: There have been whispers and close calls for an NBA team at different times as they have had in the past. They frequently host either NCAA Regionals in the dome or first two rounds at either the dome or Enterprise Center. (including 2020) They hosted the 2005 Final Four for men. They have also hosted a recent memory women’s final four. The NBA has played frequent pre-season games there. They recently hosted the SEC tourney there. Mizzou/Illinois game sells out frequently and quickly annually.  So from a community standpoint, basketball is well supported with high interest. Mizzou won’t schedule SLU. (Quinn Snyder is the only one who would in recent memory) but when they did play 26,000 people showed up in bad weather.

So again, interest immediately jumps whenever the competition level is higher and with name brand teams. All one has to look to were the numbers when SLU and Marquette played in a few leagues together. Gotta give the fans and community a decent (not even great) product, and give them competitive teams in competitive leagues.  Just a few years back the A-10 was getting half a dozen NCAA teams there. Interest was there. Last year the A-10 was down.

It doesn’t make any sense to compare recent A-10 vs would be Big East. You don’t think SLU would have great fan interest if they had a competitive team in the old Big East, (Louisville, Syracuse, ND, etc) or even the new one now? That wouldn’t be the case at all there. Comparing that to playing Fordham or the Bonnies etc....?

SLU needs to continue to have sustained on court success year in and year out instead of spurts.

They built a $100 million dollar Arena. (It is one of the busiest in the country from sports to concerts to Olympics to ice shows etc...) They have more boosters with more $. 

SLU would be a lot more like a Xavier or Creighton in the right setting than say a DePaul.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #474 on: October 10, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
Big East has set itself up to by a predator instead of prey in the conference realignment game. No need to rush into anything at this point. You sit back and watch how things play out in the in next few years. I'm not sure 5 power football conferences is sustainable in the future, I think eventually one of them blinks and gets divided up among the other 4. You never know what could happen in a situation like that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback