[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154325 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
The "major public university" emphasis is what I find most difficult to understand. While UConn is highly regarded as a university (generally ranked among the top 100 nationally), they're nowhere close to P5 schools when it comes to resources.

UConn has compared itself to the University of Michigan -- a consensus Top 30 school nationally with a $9 billion budget and an endowment of $12 billion. UConn, meanwhile, has a $2.4 billion budget (roughly a quarter the size of Michigan's) and an endowment of $450 million (a 20-to-1 difference).

Or, as stated in the podcast, UConn has been spending like a P5 school when they're not a P5 school in any way, shape or form.

Why would Connecticut legislators and university officials believe that reaching a similar level is a realistic goal? How was Division IA football alone going to be the deciding factor in elevating the university -- especially in an area of the country where you can count the number of successful, high-level football programs on one hand? That list pretty much begins and ends with Syracuse and Boston College. I guess you could include Rutgers if you really want to. Beyond that, schools like Penn State and Maryland are a stretch (central Pennsylvania and the Chesapeake Bay are hundreds of miles from the northeastern United Sates).

UConn has made some very questionable decisions regarding football over the past 20+ years. I'll be very interested to see what they do moving forward.
I think U Conn football was built on a lousy foundation. Specifically, the decision to have their stadium off campus. I realize the stadium was a gift . However ,they had plenty of land around Storrs and could have built an attractive stadium that would have served as a focal point for tail gates and bringing alumni and other supporters to the University .

Over time a decent football tradition could have been built up . An attractive environment makes it easier to recruit. I don’t think they could have been a powerhouse but it would have been possible to have a winning record consistently with a better footing on campus.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
It would have helped if they hired a decent coach after Edsall left too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #353 on: July 26, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
Next season it is!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #354 on: July 26, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2019, 11:20:28 AM »
$17 million seems like a lot, but when you factor in the American withholding $5 million in league payouts this year, $6 million in payouts next, and UConn being forced to pay $1 million annually for six years (total = $17 million), it doesn't look like a bad deal at all. 

UConn fans are even saying that they are getting P5 regional opponents (likely Rutgers, BC, Syracuse and Pittsburgh) reaching out about playing.  They will be just fine. 

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #356 on: July 26, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »
Does this mean they will be playing in the Big East for the 19/20 season, or 20/21?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #357 on: July 26, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
Does this mean they will be playing in the Big East for the 19/20 season, or 20/21?

20/21.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #358 on: July 26, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »
Great news.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #359 on: July 26, 2019, 03:23:19 PM »
The conference is said to have sought a much higher exit fee while UConn tried to negotiate something closer to $15 million or below. The sides eventually found a compromise, which involves maintaining an aspect of their partnership: UConn has agreed to schedule four home-and-home basketball series with AAC teams, men’s or women’s. No teams or years have been assigned.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #360 on: July 26, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »
UConn has agreed to schedule four home-and-home basketball series with AAC teams, men’s or women’s. No teams or years have been assigned.

Good god, was the American losing 120 straight against the UConn women not enough for them?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #361 on: July 26, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
When your average attendance triples when any AAC women’s team plays UConn.....no one cares if they win the game. Having the opportunity to schedule UConn women (and losing by 40 points) is the win.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #362 on: July 26, 2019, 09:27:49 PM »
Good god, was the American losing 120 straight against the UConn women not enough for them?
I would think the H/H on the women's side would be USF. Memphis is rumored on the men's side.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #363 on: July 27, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »
So now U Conn can tell 2020 recruits they will be playing in the Big East next year .  They should be coming into the league with some real momentum now.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #364 on: July 27, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »
Yay!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #365 on: July 27, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
I would think the H/H on the women's side would be USF. Memphis is rumored on the men's side.

I saw article last week that Penny Hardaway was pissed about UConn leaving.
I can see this as a reason why.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #366 on: July 27, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
UConn officially leaving AAC in 2020, paying $17 million exit fee

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/nhregister/article/UConn-officially-leaving-AAC-in-2020-14178493.php?sid=5baaacf72ddf9c545d737065&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newhavenregister_ctinsider

Jeff Jacobs: UConn pays for a 2020 exit from the AAC
Jeff Jacobs

ttps://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffjacobs/nhregister/article/Jeff-Jacobs-UConn-pays-for-a-2020-exit-from-the-14179369.php?sid=5baaacf72ddf9c545d737065&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newhavenregister_ctinsider

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #367 on: August 06, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »
A little off topic, but I saw a post on r/Collegebasketball on Reddit about St. Thomas (MN) possibly making the jump to D1.  This is what one of the commenters said:

"I have a family member that is in the upper administration at St. Thomas (non-athletic). What their bosses are telling big donors is that the long term plan is to try to join the Big East. The athletic director at St. Thomas has huge aspirations for the school and was formally at Penn State. I know for a fact that people at St. Thomas have always been upset that other regional comparison universities, specifically Creighton and Marquette, are national known for their sports teams even though their academics are comparable to St. Thomas.

However the catch to joining the Big East would to be heavily invest in Basketball, which St. Thomas is strong at the D3 level but obviously that’s not Big East level. This would obviously require a huge increase in the budget. There is also talk about jumping up to D1 to join a mid major league that would allow for football to continue, which this post would suggest. Normally a school transitioning to D1 takes many many years but St. Thomas is hoping to bypass this and wants to use that the got voted out of the MIAC for being too good as the reason for an NCAA waiver."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #368 on: August 06, 2019, 08:19:29 AM »
A little off topic, but I saw a post on r/Collegebasketball on Reddit about St. Thomas (MN) possibly making the jump to D1.  This is what one of the commenters said:

"I have a family member that is in the upper administration at St. Thomas (non-athletic). What their bosses are telling big donors is that the long term plan is to try to join the Big East. The athletic director at St. Thomas has huge aspirations for the school and was formally at Penn State. I know for a fact that people at St. Thomas have always been upset that other regional comparison universities, specifically Creighton and Marquette, are national known for their sports teams even though their academics are comparable to St. Thomas.

However the catch to joining the Big East would to be heavily invest in Basketball, which St. Thomas is strong at the D3 level but obviously that’s not Big East level. This would obviously require a huge increase in the budget. There is also talk about jumping up to D1 to join a mid major league that would allow for football to continue, which this post would suggest. Normally a school transitioning to D1 takes many many years but St. Thomas is hoping to bypass this and wants to use that the got voted out of the MIAC for being too good as the reason for an NCAA waiver."

That sounds good and all, but that is a long, long road to travel down.  Even if they are admitted into D1, they are going to have to latch onto a conference at the lowest levels and work their way up.  And are they going to keep their football team?

Schools like the University of Denver show that even with a good location and solid resources, becoming a school worthy of a high major invite is very, very difficult.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #369 on: August 06, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »

"I have a family member that is in the upper administration at St. Thomas (non-athletic). What their bosses are telling big donors is that the long term plan is to try to join the Big East.

I get the aspiration, but that's frankly an unrealistic goal. No high major program is a recent addition to D1. Even Butler has been D1 since the 1930s. Have any A-10 or MVC program been D1 less than 40 or 50 years?

Unless they have a multigenerational plan, this is a pointless goal. Joining the Summit in hopes of jumping to the Horizon is far more realistic. Getting to the Big East before 2060 is pie in the sky, and who knows what the D1 landscape will look like by then.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #370 on: August 06, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »

Have heard the same thing from a buddy who is not connected, just has siblings / nieces nephews who are Tommies.  It is apparently real talk up there.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #371 on: August 06, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »
Interesting - but I thought they were kicked out of MIAC because their football program was running up the score by 60 points or more against the vast majority of their competition.  Tommy football is huge - why would they want to join a non-football conference like the Big East?  It's great to dream big, but they would be better off joining a low- or mid-major D1 conference with football.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #372 on: August 06, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »
By my count the only successful transition was Belmont. And that was pretty low manjor and relying on one coach. If they were to magically get invited to high major they'd be looking at at least what 3 or 4 years of being a joke till they even had D1 level athletes to compete with DePaul.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #373 on: August 06, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »
By my count the only successful transition was Belmont. And that was pretty low manjor and relying on one coach. If they were to magically get invited to high major they'd be looking at at least what 3 or 4 years of being a joke till they even had D1 level athletes to compete with DePaul.

And even Belmont has been D1 for more than 20 years and would need to make 2 jumps to get to the Big East, assuming they could get a MVC invite first.

Further, St Thomas would have to not just climb the ladder, but show why they're more valuable than a Dayton, SLU, VCU, or any of the other myriad programs that would sell their souls for that invite.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #374 on: August 06, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
And even Belmont has been D1 for more than 20 years and would need to make 2 jumps to get to the Big East, assuming they could get a MVC invite first.

Further, St Thomas would have to not just climb the ladder, but show why they're more valuable than a Dayton, SLU, VCU, or any of the other myriad programs that would sell their souls for that invite.

Being in the 15th largest DMA positions them well above Dayton, SLU, VCU, etc. 

Re: Football, maybe their football aspiration is to be Villanova.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback