Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154348 times)

asdfasdf

• Starter
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
Multiple articles have said that a big driver for UConn leaving the AAC was how the AAC leadership disregarded UConn's connection to the SNY network.

I'm not familiar with how the UConn/SNY relationship works, but does moving to the Big East somehow keep UConn happy with regards to SNY?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »
Multiple articles have said that a big driver for UConn leaving the AAC was how the AAC leadership disregarded UConn's connection to the SNY network.

I'm not familiar with how the UConn/SNY relationship works, but does moving to the Big East somehow keep UConn happy with regards to SNY?

AAC was not against SNY relationship, this is a bit of a red herring by UConn.  I posted article yesterday with Aresco going through much of this to explain the situation.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »
AAC was not against SNY relationship, this is a bit of a red herring by UConn.  I posted article yesterday with Aresco going through much of this to explain the situation.

I must have missed that article. So is the SNY deal a supplemental deal to the conference-wide AAC deal? Will UConn have a similar side deal while they're in the Big East?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2019, 11:58:24 AM »

Fox has sold off some of its product to SNY over the years. Will most likely continue.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
I must have missed that article. So is the SNY deal a supplemental deal to the conference-wide AAC deal? Will UConn have a similar side deal while they're in the Big East?

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-mike-aresco-aac-commissioner-espn-tv-20190506-5dep7moehrdkhkdjoj22yvsnqm-story.html
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so split along sport lines as UConn. The basketball fans and football fans legitimately seem to hate each other.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2019, 12:51:24 PM »
I'm very interested in all the people saying UConn will bail because of football. UConn never bailed, the big east bailed on them.

If UConn could join the ACC or Big 10, whether leaving the AAC or Big East, they would in a heartbeat. And yes, the C7 was the party that left. And we left because UConn and the other football schools were driving the bus right off the cliff with the addition of nonsensical schools like Tulsa, ECU, San Diego State, and Boise State.

Which is exactly why I'm hesitant to offer UConn a seat on the bus right behind the driver. They need us a hell of a lot more than we need them. Look at the results of the past 5 years. The Big East has been a better league than the American every year, never ranked lower than 5th (and top-3 4/5 years), and sent 56% (28 in 5 years) teams to the NCAA Tournament while winning 2 national titles.

UConn has been to 1 tournament in that span, been ranked in the top-70 of kenpom once, and won 1 NCAA game. Is that because of Kevin Ollie? Maybe, but Dan Hurley's first year saw UConn ranked lower than all but one of Ollie's teams and UConn was never a traditional powerhouse before Jim Calhoun.

If they drop out of FBS football and agree to never return, then the conversation should start with very strict penalties if they leave. Part of the strength of this league and the strength it presents to the rest of Division 1 is that our teams are going NOWHERE. NO ONE is leaving. Period. And everyone knows that. No one calls on Big East teams when they want to expand. Add UConn with D1 FBS football and that could change. They are not like us.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »

This isn't exactly true, and it is not what Aresco said. Aresco said he would bless an agreement between ESPN and SNY. That is different than the AAC not being against an SNY relationship.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2019, 01:13:29 PM »
If UConn could join the ACC or Big 10, whether leaving the AAC or Big East, they would in a heartbeat. And yes, the C7 was the party that left. And we left because UConn and the other football schools were driving the bus right off the cliff with the addition of nonsensical schools like Tulsa, ECU, San Diego State, and Boise State.

Which is exactly why I'm hesitant to offer UConn a seat on the bus right behind the driver. They need us a hell of a lot more than we need them. Look at the results of the past 5 years. The Big East has been a better league than the American every year, never ranked lower than 5th (and top-3 4/5 years), and sent 56% (28 in 5 years) teams to the NCAA Tournament while winning 2 national titles.

UConn has been to 1 tournament in that span, been ranked in the top-70 of kenpom once, and won 1 NCAA game. Is that because of Kevin Ollie? Maybe, but Dan Hurley's first year saw UConn ranked lower than all but one of Ollie's teams and UConn was never a traditional powerhouse before Jim Calhoun.

If they drop out of FBS football and agree to never return, then the conversation should start with very strict penalties if they leave. Part of the strength of this league and the strength it presents to the rest of Division 1 is that our teams are going NOWHERE. NO ONE is leaving. Period. And everyone knows that. No one calls on Big East teams when they want to expand. Add UConn with D1 FBS football and that could change. They are not like us.
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58839.msg1140210#msg1140210
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »

Pick up one school and then lose them at a later time is or 9% of the conference is barely even a news story.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
This isn't exactly true, and it is not what Aresco said. Aresco said he would bless an agreement between ESPN and SNY. That is different than the AAC not being against an SNY relationship.

They are not against the relationship at all.

Are you trying to say he would bless an arrangement and at the same time against a relationship????

I think where we do agree is espn could be against the relationship, but that has yet to be decided.  With Uconn now leaving, it will be a moot point and SNY and Uconn can continue with their own deal, but the AAC was not against a SNY UConn relationship.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:10:14 PM by Cheeks »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2019, 03:10:11 PM »

I, like you Brew am skeptical if UCONN will ever be again at the level Calhoun had them at. That's my concern with it...not that they will leave or anything(and if they do, so what, they just go right back to 10 where they were). I read an article yesterday that Coaches feel this is going to raise their recruiting immensely, because it's the Big East. Except...it's really not. At least not the old Big East. Sure, the competition as a whole is better than the AAC, but let's be honest, will trips to Omaha, Chicago, Milwaukee and Indianapolis in the middle of winter, really get kids excited??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2019, 04:03:25 PM »
I, like you Brew am skeptical if UCONN will ever be again at the level Calhoun had them at. That's my concern with it...not that they will leave or anything(and if they do, so what, they just go right back to 10 where they were). I read an article yesterday that Coaches feel this is going to raise their recruiting immensely, because it's the Big East. Except...it's really not. At least not the old Big East. Sure, the competition as a whole is better than the AAC, but let's be honest, will trips to Omaha, Chicago, Milwaukee and Indianapolis in the middle of winter, really get kids excited??

So you are now saying the opposite of what you said weeks ago that Milwaukee was a good place to recruit to....that kids should be dying to go to MU.  Make up your mind.

Hawaii’s program is killer, because all the kids cannot wait to play there all the time.  Same for Univ of San Diego, LMU and the historical juggernaut that is Arizona State and USC.  Right?   

Come on man.  Look, MU is a tough place to recruit to, we agree....but be consistent here.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »

Obviously those mid-winter trips to Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Dallas, and Houston were a huge recruiting advantage for UConn, right? Why would they want to give up those annual trips? It will kill recruiting.

Or maybe playing in front of packed arenas in Milwaukee, Omaha and Indianapolis as opposed to half empty facilities in the AAC will be an attraction for kids.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:27:52 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
Sure, the competition as a whole is better than the AAC, but let's be honest, will trips to Omaha, Chicago, Milwaukee and Indianapolis in the middle of winter, really get kids excited??

I don't know ... maybe multiple trips to NY (including several days for the BET), trips to Washington and Nova, trips to the Gavitt Games and other interconference events, etc?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2019, 04:20:12 PM »
I don't know ... maybe multiple trips to NY (including several days for the BET), trips to Washington and Nova, trips to the Gavitt Games and other interconference events, etc?
You mean where a kid from the northeast can go to UConn and his/her family doesn't need a passport to see him or her play.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2019, 04:24:56 PM »
If you don’t see how this can only help, not hurt UConn basketball recruiting, I don’t know what to tell you. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »
The basic value to U Conn from a recruiting perspective is they immediately step in to several rivalry games in the region within easy driving or train distance. Parents, who influence these decisions ,love that aspect. This is basketball not football and rosters can be built quickly. All it takes is one or two quality local kids a year for a few years.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »
I read an article yesterday that Coaches feel this is going to raise their recruiting immensely, because it's the Big East. Except...it's really not. At least not the old Big East. Sure, the competition as a whole is better than the AAC, but let's be honest, will trips to Omaha, Chicago, Milwaukee and Indianapolis in the middle of winter, really get kids excited??

It should help UConn's recruiting, just because it's a more high profile league & every game should be televised. But does it help the league as a whole? I'm not as convinced.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2019, 04:56:10 PM »
It should help UConn's recruiting, just because it's a more high profile league & every game should be televised. But does it help the league as a whole? I'm not as convinced.

I agree with you...This is a GREAT move for UCONN, but is it Great for the BE as a whole??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2019, 05:01:10 PM »
So you are now saying the opposite of what you said weeks ago that Milwaukee was a good place to recruit to....that kids should be dying to go to MU.  Make up your mind.

Hawaii’s program is killer, because all the kids cannot wait to play there all the time.  Same for Univ of San Diego, LMU and the historical juggernaut that is Arizona State and USC.  Right?   

Come on man.  Look, MU is a tough place to recruit to, we agree....but be consistent here.

Where did I say Milwaukee was a good place to recruit to?? You are the master at putting things in people's mouth. I also never said kids should be dying to go to MU. I get tired of you twisting things that I(and others) say to fit your own agenda. It's pathetic, even for you.

What I said was(although it doesn't seem to matter to you what i said exactly), that I really thought to this point Wojo's recruiting would be better. I never said a word about it being easy(nor did I say it was hard) to recruit to Milwaukee or anything like that, so please don't do that ever again.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
I agree with you...This is a GREAT move for UCONN, but is it Great for the BE as a whole??

Are you saying that Uconn needs to recruit for everyone else now, too? I don't get the premise here. Or is it that you're worried this will help Uconn steal recruits from existing BE teams, thus hurting everyone else?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
Are you saying that Uconn needs to recruit for everyone else now, too? I don't get the premise here. Or is it that you're worried this will help Uconn steal recruits from existing BE teams, thus hurting everyone else?

Look, I'm not totally opposed to it...but as I have said, I look at these things from a ON THE FLOOR product only. At this moment, UCONN's on the floor product is nothing to write home about, and I wonder if they ever will be again. Maybe/hopefully they will be, but the people that think just because UCONN is back in the Big East means they will go back closer to there glory days..that remains to be seen.

If this was going to be the end result anyway, then what would the harm have been of the BE waiting another couple of years to see if Uconn could turn their program around again. With the idea being that if they could do it in the AAC, they certainly could do it in the Big East. Just as the other side would be true...if they have shown they can't even do it in the AAC(and the last few years they have been terrible), then there's no guarantee they will regain what they had under Calhoun. Will they be better than they have been?? Most likely, but if that's just a middling program from now on, was it worth that from the on the floor product??

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2019, 05:37:35 PM »
Where did I say Milwaukee was a good place to recruit to?? You are the master at putting things in people's mouth. I also never said kids should be dying to go to MU. I get tired of you twisting things that I(and others) say to fit your own agenda. It's pathetic, even for you.

What I said was(although it doesn't seem to matter to you what i said exactly), that I really thought to this point Wojo's recruiting would be better. I never said a word about it being easy(nor did I say it was hard) to recruit to Milwaukee or anything like that, so please don't do that ever again.

Lol

The guy who said no adjustments made, the guy that wanted the internet shut down because Mike Deane’s first four years was a slightly better record than Wojo’s without acknowledging at all what they walked into, etc, etc.   

Ok Guru, whatever you say.....I’m just imagining your recruiting comments about Wojo as well as his mythical replacement that is going to deliver a “Natty” as you like to state.  Lol

muguru

• All American
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
Lol

The guy who said no adjustments made, the guy that wanted the internet shut down because Mike Deane’s first four years was a slightly better record than Wojo’s without acknowledging at all what they walked into, etc, etc.   

Ok Guru, whatever you say.....I’m just imagining your recruiting comments about Wojo as well as his mythical replacement that is going to deliver a “Natty” as you like to state.  Lol

Now I said I wanted the internet shut down?? Really?? Really Chicos. You do this BS with EVERYONE you argue with here. You make things up that they say, to try to make yourself feel better. You always like to say "facts matter". Fact is, Deane's record over 5 years was better then Wojo's has been. Indisputable fact. But of course, because you get your ass whipped in most arguments here, you always want to add a "but...but...but" to things. You will use whatever you need to fit your argument, EVERYONE knows it. Why do you think you get called out so much??

Someone could give you 100% proof that the earth is round, and you would say something like "but...what was the shape of it, before anyone knew it was round, that matters". Whatever.

feedback