[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154339 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2019, 04:10:12 PM »
I wonder how this affects FOIA. 

With UConn being a public school, journalists will now be able to tap into the conference's inner workings, no?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
I wonder how this affects FOIA. 

With UConn being a public school, journalists will now be able to tap into the conference's inner workings, no?

I said this in the other topic:

"The BE doesn’t have to open it’s books but you can infer financial information about the BE due to UConns books being open. My guess is that most of it is as reported."

My guess is there really isn't much going on that hasn't been inferred already. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2019, 04:41:12 PM »
If Notre Dame is actually interested in an annual home and home (I'm a skeptic, but heard that rumor of late) adding UConn will likely end that. Unlikely Marquette would be willing to commit as many as 8/11 (UWM, ND, Gavitt, B12, 4x Exempt) to non-buy games.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »
This is great.  We make the bball conf stronger.  Good for woman’s b-ball.  Better than most home and home deals over the last 5 years. 

Also good for UConn. Probably one of the best or second best program ‘free agents’ still open to changing conferences for b-ball. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »
Understood, but what UConn wanted and what the market would bear to bail them out are two different things.  UConn hasn’t had a grasp on financial reality or their value in the eco system for quite some time.  Maybe this finally gets them pointed to the proper reality, but that means writing down football in a big way.
Solid research report on U Conn football future.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/06/22/uconn-rejoining-big-east-aac-means-given-up-on-football/1536302001/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2019, 05:45:20 PM »

Then the conference can cash their check and move on.  Conference memberships aren't permanent.  It works until it doesn't.  In the meantime, it works for everyone.

This is precisely where I am on this.

Glad to have an original BEast member back in the league. Excellent basketball brand. Get 10 conference home games; would rather play home conference game against UConn than a home non-conference game against anybody other than Wis and ND. Huge add for conference women's hoops. Program on way back up.

If they leave again, I'll thank them for the $$$$ and worry about it when it happens.

If we really had a chance at home-and-home with ND and if this means that can't happen, that would be the only negative at all IMHO. And given how ND has turned tail on the rivalry for years now, I have my doubts that would have ever happened.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
This is probably a long term thinking move by UConn on a few fronts.  Even if the ACC were to expand, it’s doubtful they see UConn as a market they need to expand into.  The Big XII will likely expand at some point, and I doubt that’s a market they’d actively look to add.

What is likely, the AAC will be ripe for the pickings should either of those leagues expand.  We can laugh at UCF all we want, but it would behoove the Big XII to seriously consider a Florida school and UCF is the most attractive option and a school seemingly committed to winning in all sports. 

Memphis would be attractive as well.  There is money available for the programs to succeed.  Houston or SMU would bolt for a chance to join a better league as fast as they could.   Anyway you slice it, the current situation for the AAC is tenuous at best.  I think it can be a good hoops league but the dregs really hurt them.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
I think the Big 12 explored the benefits of expanding by 1-2 teams just a year or two ago... And decided not to, much to the dismay of Cincinnati.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2019, 06:14:50 PM »
I think the Big 12 explored the benefits of expanding by 1-2 teams just a year or two ago... And decided not to, much to the dismay of Cincinnati.

They did and I suspect they will again.  I like their league as is.  Round robin for hoops and each team plays one another in football.  No unbalanced schedules
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2019, 06:25:49 PM »
Yep, this is the way I feel.  When things turn favorable for UConn they will be the first to leave the Big East.

And?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
More likely a home and home (e.g. Vandy) is gone. You’ll still have to pay for Grambling.
Hard to say, as it doesn't look like we have a new H/H starting this year at Fiserv Forum.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »
Also to the dismay of UCF.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »
This is probably a long term thinking move by UConn on a few fronts.  Even if the ACC were to expand, it’s doubtful they see UConn as a market they need to expand into.  The Big XII will likely expand at some point, and I doubt that’s a market they’d actively look to add.

What is likely, the AAC will be ripe for the pickings should either of those leagues expand.  We can laugh at UCF all we want, but it would behoove the Big XII to seriously consider a Florida school and UCF is the most attractive option and a school seemingly committed to winning in all sports. 

Memphis would be attractive as well.  There is money available for the programs to succeed.  Houston or SMU would bolt for a chance to join a better league as fast as they could.   Anyway you slice it, the current situation for the AAC is tenuous at best.  I think it can be a good hoops league but the dregs really hurt them.

Boston College would block anyway
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »

And?

They Leave and what ever happens, happens.  I have no ideas what events, issues, problems etc. occurs between now and when they leave that might affect us.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
AAC going to make it hard on U Conn.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/with-a-big-east-move-expected-uconn-will-not-be-welcome-in-aac-as-football-only-member/

That article already made my head hurt with a typo in the first sentence (Seaason).

Unacceptable.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2019, 09:19:35 PM »
AAC going to make it hard on U Conn.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/with-a-big-east-move-expected-uconn-will-not-be-welcome-in-aac-as-football-only-member/
Hmmm...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2019, 11:39:58 PM »
Memphis is as dirty as they come.  No thanks.  Fortunately they have enough football success that we don’t have to worry about it...I hope
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
-Bill Walton

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/status/1142802923996569600

I'm very interested in all the people saying UConn will bail because of football. UConn never bailed, the big east bailed on them.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2019, 10:30:18 AM »
I'm very interested in all the people saying UConn will bail because of football. UConn never bailed, the big east bailed on them.

It is more accurate to say they would have bailed if given the chance.  But of course if Nova, Georgetown...or Marquette...were asked to join the ACC as a non-football member, they would have bailed too.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2019, 11:33:59 AM »

The next movement is likely 2023 if I recall, that is when the next round of major tv deals are up.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »

Sort of, kind of....messy because of of how C7 formed new Big East and bought the name back.  I see your point for sure, but it is a bit complicated.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »

They bailed on big east basketball. They were 100% voting for all those crap schools joining just to benefit football. They didn't bail on the big east they bailed on the foundation of it
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback