Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154344 times)

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
UConn to BE Rumors
« on: June 19, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-to-the-nbe.144423/

From the post, "I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021..."

...and

https://247sports.com/college/saint-josephs/Board/105444/Contents/U-Conn-back-to-the-BE-132970558/

"Rumors persist that they are finalizing a return to the BE to appease Fox sports. 20 game regular season round robin proposed.....The Zags were the first choice, but that proved unworkable."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
really hope this is true

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
Big if true

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »
So if this is the case...

• 20 Big East games
  • 4 (Presumably) exempt tournament games
  • 2 Gavitt/Big 12 challenges
  • 1 Wisconsin
That would be the expectation of what games are accounted for. 27 of the 31 allowable games are already accounted for most years. I expect we would rarely see any other high-major  home and homes. If we did, it would certainly end the attempts to have a strong buy type game (Belmont, Fresno State, Vermont, Buffalo, yes I know Belmont was assigned).

I'm on board with adding them if we are going to add anyone, but it will likely make the non-con less attractive.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »

That would be the expectation of what games are accounted for. 27 of the 31 allowable games are already accounted for most years. I expect we would rarely see any other high-major  home and homes. If we did, it would certainly end the attempts to have a strong buy type game (Belmont, Fresno State, Vermont, Buffalo, yes I know Belmont was assigned).

You're right, but I'd be fine with that trade-off.

Reading through the linked threads, it looks like UConn is losing $40million a year on football. This makes more sense with that context.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
The current incarnation of the Big East was formed by 10 like-minded basketball-only schools to eliminate the worry about conference swapping by football schools.    Why now allow UConn to enter?    We know they are going to leave again as soon as a P5 football conference invites them?    If they Huskies come, where does their football team land?    Independent?    Staying in the AAC?    More interestingly, where does their shining star, the women's team end up?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 12:31:24 PM »
Too d the Zags were unworkable(which I think we all knew would be anyway). But I'm ok with adding UCONN. I always said/thought, if the BE was going to add anyone it had to be either the Zags or UCONN.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »
I've seen nothing to indicate that UConn is dropping football, which gives me no reason to believe they're joining the Big East.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
The current incarnation of the Big East was formed by 10 like-minded basketball-only schools to eliminate the worry about conference swapping by football schools.    Why now allow UConn to enter?    We know they are going to leave again as soon as a P5 football conference invites them?    If they Huskies come, where does their football team land?    Independent?    Staying in the AAC?    More interestingly, where does their shining star, the women's team end up?

They would only enter the BE if they dropped football.

Also, no P5 is inviting UConn anytime soon. Their football program is currently an absolute dumpster fire.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:35:48 PM by Coleman »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 12:34:25 PM »

They may drop football altogether. I know that has been talked about for a few years now. As far as the Women's team, one would assume they'd come along.

Even if they did keep football, no P5 conference is ever going to want UCONN football.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »
If UConn comes, I would say an escalating $40M buyout to leave that increases by $5M every year for inflation. That way, if they leave in 6 years, every Big East team gets $11M. And it keeps going up to keep up (or ahead of) inflation. Something insanely prohibitive.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »
Like others have said, I only want them if they drop DI football.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »

I recommend reading the thread for amusement. It is very much in the MU Scoop style of thinking.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »
They are so ridiculously arrogant for a team who plays in the AAC.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 01:06:47 PM »
UConn's fiscal problems go beyond football, which had an $8.7 million deficit in 2018.

According to university reports, men's basketball lost about $5 million (with ticket sales at the lowest level since 2002) and women's basketball lost over $3 million. All told, those three sports account for less than half of the athletic department's $40 million shortfall.

Even in the face of such dire circumstances, the school's administration seems to have little grasp on reality -- financial or otherwise.

Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said, "UConn is today a top-20 university with outstanding academics. And it is safe to say that we would not have gotten here without athletics. It is not a coincidence that the university saw skyrocketing applications and a greater appetite for investment in UConn on the part of the state at the same time as successful athletic programs were raising the university's profile statewide and nationally."

Translation: The more you spend on athletics, the better. UConn has proven they're exceptionally good at that part of the equation. That is a very dangerous attitude for any institution, let alone a public one.

https://www.theday.com/article/20190117/SPORT07/190119450
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
I recommend reading the thread for amusement. It is very much in the MU Scoop style of thinking.
Yes, alot false info in there.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »
Wow they are even worse than I thought.  See attachment.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »
UConn's fiscal problems go beyond football, which had an $8.7 million deficit in 2018.

According to university reports, men's basketball lost about $5 million (with ticket sales at the lowest level since 2002) and women's basketball lost over $3 million. All told, those three sports account for less than half of the athletic department's $40 million shortfall.

Even in the face of such dire circumstances, the school's administration seems to have little grasp on reality -- financial or otherwise.

Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said, "UConn is today a top-20 university with outstanding academics. And it is safe to say that we would not have gotten here without athletics. It is not a coincidence that the university saw skyrocketing applications and a greater appetite for investment in UConn on the part of the state at the same time as successful athletic programs were raising the university's profile statewide and nationally."

Translation: The more you spend on athletics, the better. UConn has proven they're exceptionally good at that part of the equation. That is a very dangerous attitude for any institution, let alone a public one.

https://www.theday.com/article/20190117/SPORT07/190119450

On top of this, the state has some serious fiscal issues they have to deal with—wouldn’t be surprised if this (football/sports) is an area being scrutinized. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »

I lol'd when I read something along the lines of, "Delete this thread it's hurting recruiting"

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
Lol, 82 slots in bowls for 126 teams and UCONN has managed fail to cross even that absurdly low measure of success in all but a few of its seasons. What a program.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 01:37:45 PM »
They may drop football altogether. I know that has been talked about for a few years now. As far as the Women's team, one would assume they'd come along.

Even if they did keep football, no P5 conference is ever going to want UCONN football.

Who is talking about that? Fans of other teams?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »

From the post, "I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021..."

...and

https://247sports.com/college/saint-josephs/Board/105444/Contents/U-Conn-back-to-the-BE-132970558/

"Rumors persist that they are finalizing a return to the BE to appease Fox sports. 20 game regular season round robin proposed.....The Zags were the first choice, but that proved unworkable."
Yes, please..for obvious reasons and also somewhat satisfying to nab ESPN's neighbor.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »
Let them come, were not talking about Syracuses football team. Uconn's football serves no threat to the big east and never has. Which is why they are stuck in their current situation.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 02:04:33 PM »
Let them come, were not talking about Syracuses football team. Uconn's football serves no threat to the big east and never has. Which is why they are stuck in their current situation.

Plus if they leave in 5 years who cares? Take the buyout, distribute the $ among the remaining teams, and go right back to 10 teams exactly where we are now.

feedback