[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Alumni Donations  (Read 14751 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: Alumni Donations
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
I did my undergrad almost 14 years ago, and in my general cohort there is a common theme I hear often of "You expect me to donate when I've still got xxx amount of students loans to pay off?  Call me when I've got them paid off."     That was not only from my peers at Whitewater, but from friends who attended many different public and private institutions. 

This was particularly poignant at that time because the economy was not great when we graduated and then got much worse when the recession hit a few years later.  Our incomes did not grow like our predecessors' had.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
I did my undergrad almost 14 years ago, and in my general cohort there is a common theme I hear often of "You expect me to donate when I've still got xxx amount of students loans to pay off?  Call me when I've got them paid off."     That was not only from my peers at Whitewater, but from friends who attended many different public and private institutions. 

This was particularly poignant at that time because the economy was not great when we graduated and then got much worse when the recession hit a few years later.  Our incomes did not grow like our predecessors' had.

The percentage quoted are alums who donate any amount - even $1.

Unless they have zero discretionary income (and if you purchase alcohol, you have discretionary income) people who claim they can't afford to donate anything are full of crap. If you don't want to donate, just be a grownup and say so.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 08:55:03 AM »
I just think it is disingenuous of MU to claim that students that attend will get a good Catholic education there, especially when a good percentage of the theology department are not even Catholic. Do they even offer a course on the sacraments?

If my grand daughter decides to go to a Catholic university we will probably look at Franciscan University in Ohio or Catholic University in DC.

You expect to have that much of a say in where your granddaughter goes to school ? Even if you are helping out financially, I am not sure it's fair for you to micromanage her choice.

What is good about Marquette is that it is as Catholic as you want it to be. Super Catholic? There are plenty of courses on Catholicism you can take as electives. You can also choose to be active in Campus Ministry and attend daily Mass. Not Christian? Take Intro to Theology and one elective, and never actively have to deal with religion again.

Keep in mind that most of the super-devout Catholic students will have already had 12 years of Catholic education by the time they hit Marquette. What would they be learning about Catholicism that would be new to them?

These are both fine positions and they aren't mutually exclusive.  Warrior is certainly correct that students looking for an immersive Catholic experience where Catholic doctrine directly touches each facet of the college experience should probably look elsewhere (or at least be prepared to have to self select into a very small minority of the student population at MU). I think his position speaks to the difficulty of pinning down "good Catholic education," but if in the eye of the beholder, that's a very Catholic-influenced experience every step of the way, there are probably better places for that than MU.

But I'm also on team chick here in that MU certainly has options available for the uber-Catholic folks (though again, those students will find themselves part of a pretty tight knit group that will have a pretty different experience than most of the student population).  Generally speaking, I don't think MU is in the minority here, especially given its Jesuit roots. At the end of the day, and painting with a dangerously broad brush, folks wanting a conservative Catholic experience, where traditional Catholic teaching is interwoven throughout the undergraduate experience should probably look to non-Jesuit institutions - and I'd venture that's been true for hundreds of years.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »
Unless they have zero discretionary income (and if you purchase alcohol, you have discretionary income) people who claim they can't afford to donate anything are full of crap. If you don't want to donate, just be a grownup and say so.

I agree with this.  While I hadn't donated to Marquette for a number of years, I've never said I couldn't afford it.  I've chosen not to donate for a number of years because our annual tuition dollars  (both high school and college) are high and we also donate to our kids' current schools.

That said, I just donated to Marquette (and expect my sweet beach towel in six to eight weeks).  Marquette means a lot to me, and there really is no reason I can't send a few bucks their way.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
I just think it is disingenuous of MU to claim that students that attend will get a good Catholic education there, especially when a good percentage of the theology department are not even Catholic. Do they even offer a course on the sacraments?

If my grand daughter decides to go to a Catholic university we will probably look at Franciscan University in Ohio or Catholic University in DC.

If my top priority in sending my kids to college was to further their Catholic education and formation, I would not send them to Marquette.  If that is your priority, I think FUS would be a great option (and I have some strong ties to that school) and CU would also be a good option.  I respect that priority, and understand that is is right for some people.  That was not our top priority, and so far my kids have gone to a non-religious private, a Jesuit and a public university.  I haven't gotten one to Marquette yet, but have one more chance.  But, truth be told, I don't expect that Marquette will offer enough money to make it a viable option for our family.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:15:47 PM by StillAWarrior »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »

I think the argument is more philosophical rather than practical.  Can they afford it?  Yes, anyone can give a dollar.   Do they feel it's presumptuous to ask for a donation when they themselves don't feel financially secure enough post graduation?  That is the impression I get. 

I know many of those people donate to other causes willingly, so again it definitely isn't that they believe they can't afford it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 10:09:53 AM »
Question about donating. I’ve never donated, so how specific can you get with you donations?

Can I specifically request my donation be split between the Basketball teams and Volleyball team? Or can you only request it to go to the Athletic Department?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
Question about donating. I’ve never donated, so how specific can you get with you donations?

Can I specifically request my donation be split between the Basketball teams and Volleyball team? Or can you only request it to go to the Athletic Department?

Blue and gold fund is athletic department. Idk if you can control which teams specifically, I don't recall that being an option when I worked at phonathon. You can set it up to be recurring, like I think for a couple years till I got laid off I was doing $50 spread out over 12 months.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 10:41:53 AM »

You can certainly specify a particular sport or sports, but unless you are giving a significant amount (4 figures+), I am sure that the advancement department would appreciate it if you didn't.  The paperwork involved in restricted gifts is an administrative nightmare, and they will burn off a lot of your donation in the effort involved in making sure they are compliant with your wishes.  If you are truly interested in Marquette getting the most bang for your donation buck, it's best to keep it simple.

Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
You can certainly specify a particular sport or sports, but unless you are giving a significant amount (4 figures+), I am sure that the advancement department would appreciate it if you didn't.  The paperwork involved in restricted gifts is an administrative nightmare, and they will burn off a lot of your donation in the effort involved in making sure they are compliant with your wishes.  If you are truly interested in Marquette getting the most bang for your donation buck, it's best to keep it simple.

Each of the individual athletic teams has a gift account that receives gifts like this. So it really wouldn't be that hard to give it to a specific sport.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 11:30:37 AM »

This reminds me .. summer of Junior year, a friend of mine did an internship at an insurance company and asked me if they could practice their "interview" schtick on me.  Sure, friend.   

She asked a bunch of financial questions including "what is your disposable income level" and would report back when the computer spit out the recommendations. 

Days later, she comes back and sits me down to discuss my "insurance options".   At the end, she asked my 21-year-old self if I was going to buy life insurance from her.   Wut?  Ummmmm no.   "But you said you had $100 disposable income each month. You can afford this!"   >:(

Beer money > Life insurance for a 21 year old.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 11:34:04 AM »
This reminds me .. summer of Junior year, a friend of mine did an internship at an insurance company and asked me if they could practice their "interview" schtick on me.  Sure, friend.   

She asked a bunch of financial questions including "what is your disposable income level" and would report back when the computer spit out the recommendations. 

Days later, she comes back and sits me down to discuss my "insurance options".   At the end, she asked my 21-year-old self if I was going to buy life insurance from her.   Wut?  Ummmmm no.   "But you said you had $100 disposable income each month. You can afford this!"   >:(

Those insurance companies are crazy intense about getting you to hit up your friends and family at first. I've had some of them interview me and try to pitch me at the same time. If it works for some people more power to them
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
I donate sporadically.  It all comes down to timing when I am asked.  What else is on the horizon financially?   It has nothing to do with philosophy, theology, basketball success.

This is me also.

Plus I felt I was "donating" by volunteering annually over the last 25 years to help the Admissions Office and plan Club activities.  This is the main reason I'm a little upset my kid will not be attending MU in the fall.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:02:41 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »

I'm in my mid-50s, and I spend way more money on beer each month than I do on life insurance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »

Didn't see the brochure, but I'm kind of interested in seeing what the donor levels are for alumni who were the beneficiary of full or major scholarships (something where someone else is paying more towards tuition than the student).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
I donate once or twice a year, not a lot. I feel very tied to MU and my experiences there. Excited for a cousin who starts in the fall as a freshman.
I looked up info about Franciscan University. Let’s just say it wouldn’t be for me, weekly Mass -attender that I am.
Did MU ever even offer a course on the sacraments? I certainly don’t remember one, though I also wouldn’t have looked for one either, as my interests tend more to social justice.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 07:01:43 PM »

Chitown, like chick said, generally speaking.  If you're giving $100, my hope is the Blue/Gold is close enough to your overall objectives. 

But you could explore particular endowments that have a narrower focus.  Each endowment agreement provides 'governing language' and was written in direct consultation with the benefactor.  So if you got in touch with Advancements, they could likely point you to a volleyball only endowment, for example.  Endowments like that exist across all areas of the university.  If you'd like to help MUCN, PM me and we can talk.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 01:06:53 PM »
As a contributor and one whose Marquette experience was outstanding, I'm one of the first people to defend Marquette. Having invested in other people's future, I'll point blank say that I, like others who like me, give, "I am Marquette."

Here's the backside. Since I've been graduated, I've targeted my donations for scholarships (which wasn't easy when I was barraged by young Warriors who wanted me to redirect my donation to construction of the union, which I quickly rejected). The question never been answered by anyone in administration is why a Marquette education's cost has significantly exceeded inflation plus a percent or two every year since any of us were graduated.

The closest answer to that was a few years ago when Father Pilarz said, "our students demand more," alluding to better housing, a better rec center and amenity after amenity. I had trouble keeping from retching after that one and became quite cynical. But I kept giving (and still do) because Marquette is bigger than Father Pilarz.

The one thing that is frightening on this Board -- which I admit is not a representative sample -- is the anger over student debt. My read of the comments at large is the university has a serious problem convincing people heavily in debt that contributions are a good thing. This is a major hurdle that will have to be overcome and I understand why some of these folks are more than a little disillusioned about giving.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »
The question never been answered by anyone in administration is why a Marquette education's cost has significantly exceeded inflation plus a percent or two every year since any of us were graduated.

The closest answer to that was a few years ago when Father Pilarz said, "our students demand more," alluding to better housing, a better rec center and amenity after amenity. I had trouble keeping from retching after that one and became quite cynical. But I kept giving (and still do) because Marquette is bigger than Father Pilarz.
You are probably aware of this, but it is not just Marquette this has seen costs escalate at 6-7% per year, but almost all universities...and maybe you can strike the "almost" part of that...which of course is the primary factor in the student debt issue.

But I'm curious what you didn't like about his answer, as to me this is very true.  College tours, which pretty much didn't exist in my day, are now a key to how kids select their college.  If MU wasn't keeping pace and looked like it did in the 70's and 80's they'd be begging for students.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 05:15:48 PM »
You are probably aware of this, but it is not just Marquette this has seen costs escalate at 6-7% per year, but almost all universities...and maybe you can strike the "almost" part of that...which of course is the primary factor in the student debt issue.

But I'm curious what you didn't like about his answer, as to me this is very true.  College tours, which pretty much didn't exist in my day, are now a key to how kids select their college.  If MU wasn't keeping pace and looked like it did in the 70's and 80's they'd be begging for students.

Certainly I know about the rising costs of college tuition. Let’s just say my wife and I put our two children through, so yes we clearly know.

That said, the glittering generality fallacy of “everybody else is doing it” is a hard sell here. That does not make it right. I did the college tours with both my children and our focus wasn’t on the best rec facilities (Iowa State or Iowa won) or the best dorms or lobster Thursdays.

We focused on what mattered, then. We looked at what they wanted to do with their lives, the education and support the college offered. We looked at them and asked, “who will do best by them.”

The facilities at the university they selected were adequate but not blow your doors off. Who cares as long as the university does its job and the kids do theirs.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 06:31:15 PM »
Certainly I know about the rising costs of college tuition. Let’s just say my wife and I put our two children through, so yes we clearly know.

That said, the glittering generality fallacy of “everybody else is doing it” is a hard sell here. That does not make it right. I did the college tours with both my children and our focus wasn’t on the best rec facilities (Iowa State or Iowa won) or the best dorms or lobster Thursdays.

We focused on what mattered, then. We looked at what they wanted to do with their lives, the education and support the college offered. We looked at them and asked, “who will do best by them.”

The facilities at the university they selected were adequate but not blow your doors off. Who cares as long as the university does its job and the kids do theirs.

So what school was this and when did they attend?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 06:47:47 PM »
some colleges have cut their tuition costs in an attempt to reverse declining enrollment. The highest profiled being Lasalle. I'm curious how it worked out for them:

https://www.mcall.com/news/education/mc-nws-colleges-cut-tuition-costs-20190122-story.html

https://www.phillymag.com/city/2016/09/28/la-salle-university-cuts-tuition/

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
Let's see how much the actual tuition that students pay decreases.  Sounds like they are simply reducing the list price.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »
I did the college tours with both my children and our focus wasn’t on the best rec facilities (Iowa State or Iowa won)...

During our earlier college tours, my son was very focused on the best rec facilities.  But he ended up choosing the school that might have had the worst facility of any we toured.  I've often said that it's how I knew he was “in love" with his chosen school.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:17:22 PM by StillAWarrior »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 09:03:00 PM »
During our earlier college tours, my son was very focused on the best rec facilities. But he ended up choosing the school that might have had the worst facility of any we toured.  I've often said that it's how I knew "he was in love" with his chosen school.

So, Marquette, then?
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback