[Today at 06:30:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Alumni Donations  (Read 14775 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Alumni Donations
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »

Actually I know exactly of what I am speaking and you are wrong.

Still.

Again.

Your two decades of experience has really taught you nothing.

Well, Sultan, we are not going to agree on this, and I'll continue to encourage individuals to not be affected by your claims in terms of donating to any University.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:24:48 PM by forgetful »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »
Well, Sultan, we are not going to agree on this, and I'll continue to encourage individuals to not be affected by your claims in terms of donating to any University.

Not Sultan.

I’m not disputing that people should donate to Marquette or any other university. I never made that claim in the least. I am just saying that some students subsidize others. And actually the more people give the less that subsidy occurs.

But don’t tell me they don’t because that’s not the case.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »
O.K., so the rich kid subsidizes the poor kid.

When they graduate the rich kid never supports the university because he/she feels they gave extra while they were paying higher tuition.

The poor kid feels gratitude and an obligation.

Some poor kids actually after graduation gave buildings to the university because they did very, very, very well based on their "support" from the university.  (BTW, I know this first hand, please no names mentioned)

Most of the rich kids give squat, ah, because they feel they were taken advantage of by the university.

Some poor kids remain poor, that's life.  Most rich kids, call it privilege,  remain well off, that's life.

End of the day, it is what it is, but I like the poor kids a lot more than the rich kids.   My university gave me a big brake and I'm no dead beat.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »
The debate instigated by Brother Fluffy et al goes to a fundamental question at Marquette: "Who pays rack rate?" Top be blunt, the folks who pay rack rate, or full tuition, are in fact supporting (I hate the concept of "subsidizing") the university in a way that allows it to discount to other folks.

From a personal level, neither of my children were National Merit Scholars, had 4.0 GPAs and a 34 or better on the ACT. While I exaggerate, neither received academic scholarships.

Likewise, need based scholarships were out of the question. So, if our children were going to college, Ms. Dgies and I were going to pay the full rate. We knew that going in. Period. Regardless of where they ended up, our children were going to get financial support only if they were separated from us financially.

So, to some degree, we probably "have educated" more that just our children. That's the breaks. You accept it and move on. Likewise, if a university is doing great things, as I said earlier in this thread, you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You support it because it's making a difference in a community's life, in educating people who might not otherwise be educated and because education is the best way I know out of poverty.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
The debate instigated by Brother Fluffy et al goes to a fundamental question at Marquette: "Who pays rack rate?" Top be blunt, the folks who pay rack rate, or full tuition, are in fact supporting (I hate the concept of "subsidizing") the university in a way that allows it to discount to other folks.

From a personal level, neither of my children were National Merit Scholars, had 4.0 GPAs and a 34 or better on the ACT. While I exaggerate, neither received academic scholarships.

Likewise, need based scholarships were out of the question. So, if our children were going to college, Ms. Dgies and I were going to pay the full rate. We knew that going in. Period. Regardless of where they ended up, our children were going to get financial support only if they were separated from us financially.

So, to some degree, we probably "have educated" more that just our children. That's the breaks. You accept it and move on. Likewise, if a university is doing great things, as I said earlier in this thread, you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You support it because it's making a difference in a community's life, in educating people who might not otherwise be educated and because education is the best way I know out of poverty.

That’s all I was saying and I agree with you 100%.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »

Very mature, reasonable, magnanimous, practical, Christian, and responsible.
Hard to believe we have so many heartless, selfish, cheap losers around here. 
Hay, it takes all kinds, thanks for telling it like it is.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »
Very mature, reasonable, magnanimous, practical, Christian, and responsible.
Hard to believe we have so many heartless, selfish, cheap losers around here. 
Hay, it takes all kinds, thanks for telling it like it is.

Vogue, thank you.

The only issue I have with you is the notion that others in here are heartless, selfish, cheap losers. That's unfair. It's also disrespectful of others' positions.

Look, I give to MU and other institutions of higher learning. Others may give to wipe out disease, help animals, foster the arts, mitigate disasters or any number of important things. While I wish more people gave to Marquette, the fact that they give to make our world better is something we should encourage and applaud. While I may not share their priorities, let's not belittle them.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
I donate once or twice a year, not a lot. I feel very tied to MU and my experiences there. Excited for a cousin who starts in the fall as a freshman.
I looked up info about Franciscan University. Let’s just say it wouldn’t be for me, weekly Mass -attender that I am.
Did MU ever even offer a course on the sacraments? I certainly don’t remember one, though I also wouldn’t have looked for one either, as my interests tend more to social justice.

Yes, a required course for all Catholic undergrads devoted to Christian marriage was taught by Father McEvoy. Also, Father Bernard Cooke the dean of theology at the time taught a semester course on the sacraments.

This was in the mid to late 60s when I attended and no; I was not looking either as I majored in Chemistry and Biology. All Catholic undergrads were required to take 6, 2 credit, courses in theology in order to graduate.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:49:55 PM by muwarrior69 »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
Vogue, thank you.

The only issue I have with you is the notion that others in here are heartless, selfish, cheap losers. That's unfair. It's also disrespectful of others' positions.

Look, I give to MU and other institutions of higher learning. Others may give to wipe out disease, help animals, foster the arts, mitigate disasters or any number of important things. While I wish more people gave to Marquette, the fact that they give to make our world better is something we should encourage and applaud. While I may not share their priorities, let's not belittle them.

Sorry, you are right, I was over the top.  Some people need a little belittling, I suppose I should keep my mouth shut and let their reasoning speak for itself.

Nevertheless, the discussion was about people who can afford list price complaining that they are subsidizing needy students.  Agreed, they may be big spenders about other causes, I doubt that,  but we were talking about need based scholarships.  BTW, back in the mid 60's I worked my way and MU was the "only" quality low cost solution for me. 

The higher education business model has changed and now we have disgruntled alumni, pitty.