[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Here come the judge...  (Read 35003 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Here come the judge...
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2019, 05:12:22 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »

You show a fundamental lack of understanding here.  The NCAA, as Nukem says, it the membership.  The membership is working together to keep the costs low and the sponsorship income to itself.  It's a monopolistic cartel.  Similar to Standard Oil.

Funny, several posts before this I said that the ncaa is the membership. I also said this yesterday and have said this for years here.  I get the understanding just fine, which is why I also said it is a flawed analogy.  That said, I do not believe it is the same as Standard Oil analogy at all.  Standard Oil was trying to use pricing leverage and purposely undercutting competitors to drive them out of business to form a monopoly.  That NCAA is an association of 1000’s of universities with voting rights, etc with the ultimate purpose nothing of the kind of Standard Oil.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 07:17:37 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »
Perfect. Let's go with majority on all issues

Abortion totally legal. Significantly more gun control than what's in place now. Some form of universal health care. End of gerrymandering. Etc.

Oh, and while we're at it, U.S. must change results of 2000 and 2016 elections.

Because, you know, what the majority says is always right!

Merry Xmas! (Don't forget to keep X in Xmas.)

LOL.  Someone smarting that 3/4 of the country doesn’t trust their profession when the erosion was all done by their own actions.  It used to be a highly respected profession....remember when two sources were needed...ahh, those were the good old days.  Remember when opinions were not to be included in straight reporting?  Ahh, the memories.

Your examples, while cute, are way off target....due to things like the US Constitution.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2019, 07:23:19 PM »
Once Chico's states his opinion, he finds it impossible to ever change his mind no matter what evidence or arguments are made. Thus, he is reduced to making dumber and dumber arguments to try to reduce his cognitive dissonance.

It is the same phenomenon as the people who scream "fake news!" anytime they are confronted with a fact that doesn't align with their beliefs.

That’s funny, I admitted I was wrong here only a few hours ago....so your statement is fake news....meaning you made a statement that it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to admit, when I did so in this very thread only hours ago.  That, is the very definition of fake news....congratulations.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »
Is this a serious argument that you're trying to make?  Stupidity on display folks.

What is the concern here?

Please enlighten us.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »

Because the black market is cheaper.  Proves my point once again.

Except that wasn’t the argument made to legalize, the argument was it would drive away the black market entirely.  Oopsie...as some of us predicted, it absolutely would not.  For the same reason paying players or compensating them in other ways is a fool’s errand that it will slow or curtail the desire for even more money.  It is ridiculous argument and absolutely will do the exact opposite.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2019, 07:34:54 PM »
No, I actually never said that.

But don't rich schools already have an enormous recruiting advantage? Do you not believe the recruiting budget at Duke and Kentucky is substantially larger than at UW-Green Bay and Wright State? Do you think North Texas and Troy football programs aren't at a facilities disadvantage to Alabama and Texas A&M?

How does allowing players to profit from their likeness - say, by appearing in an ad for a local car dealership or signing a deal with adidas - force Stetson and High Point to drop their programs? It changes nothing for those programs.

Lastly, aren't there already huge "compensation" gaps? You frequently cite the value of a scholarship, i.e. tuition, access to facilities, coaching, etc. But these things aren't the same at every program.
Isn't the value of, say, a Michigan education greater than Cleveland State? Isn't the coaching at Duke or Kansas better than San Jose State? Aren't the facilities at Marquette or Kentucky better than Chicago State or Prairie View A&M?

Huge inequities exist in the system. Nothing about allowing a kid to profit off his likeness changes or exacerbates that.

The rich will get even richer, the poor even poorer.  Eventually some of these schools will say they can no longer compete at all and drop down, or reduce investment.

I’d like to know why we want universities to have institutional control over athletic programs and now all of a sudden think it is a swell idea to have third part car dealerships, etc paying players to endorse their products?  I’m spending the next two days doing commercials with very high profile NFL players that companies spend a lot of money on. The demands that go with that money is extreme, and require agents and all kinds of extra stuff to make sure everything is on the up and up.  I think some of you think Junior is going to get a check for $5000 to pitch for Bob Davis Ford and that’s that. Just wait until junior who is endorsed gets in trouble, will there be morality clauses in these deals?  Who reimburses the dealership when that happens...the student athlete? 

It’s never as simple as that which is why this is an enormous can of worms, let alone the competitive piece for various schools.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
Except that wasn’t the argument made to legalize, the argument was it would drive away the black market entirely.  Oopsie...as some of us predicted, it absolutely would not.  For the same reason paying players or compensating them in other ways is a fool’s errand that it will slow or curtail the desire for even more money.  It is ridiculous argument and absolutely will do the exact opposite.

Is that it?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2019, 07:51:06 PM »
Next political post earns a ban!

You get a ban!  You get a ban!  You get a ban!  Everybody gets a ban!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
Is that it?

I’m not allowed to answer properly or risk a temporary ban, but I think you know the answer to your silly question.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2019, 08:12:54 PM »
I’m not allowed to answer properly or risk a temporary ban, but I think you know the answer to your silly question.
You've already been banned a dozen times or more, what's one more? 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
That’s funny, I admitted I was wrong here only a few hours ago....so your statement is fake news....meaning you made a statement that it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to admit, when I did so in this very thread only hours ago.  That, is the very definition of fake news....congratulations.
No, you admited you misstated an irrefutable fact, because you simply forgot Curry had transferred.  But nothing will make you change your opinions.  Nothing. 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »

Really? There was only one singular argument for legalization?

Also, there's nearly a black market for everything on Earth. So I doubt anyone actually believed the "entirely" part.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »

Also, there's nearly a black market for everything on Earth. So I doubt anyone actually believed the "entirely" part.

Bingo.

Regardless, this is a very weird way for him to make his case.  But I'm done because he just seems to want to be right no matter how absurd he has to be to get there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »

LOL.  Someone smarting that 3/4 of the country doesn’t trust their profession when the erosion was all done by their own actions.  It used to be a highly respected profession....remember when two sources were needed...ahh, those were the good old days.  Remember when opinions were not to be included in straight reporting?  Ahh, the memories.

Your examples, while cute, are way off target....due to things like the US Constitution.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »

Yessir.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2019, 12:06:02 AM »
No, you admited you misstated an irrefutable fact, because you simply forgot Curry had transferred.  But nothing will make you change your opinions.  Nothing.

More fake news from you.  Lazy on your part, too.  Nothing, never, always....lazy.  My opinions change at times, so simply fakes news by you.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2019, 12:10:06 AM »

No, but I can see where I stated “the argument” and should have stated “an argument”, but it was a significant one, which of course was proven to be incorrect.  My apologies.  You can do a search here on this very site of people making the argument as well as Op Eds on the subject and how it was going to render the black market obsolete.....I would think obsolete is a pretty good synonym to “entirely”. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2019, 12:12:07 AM »

Interesting, I thought my comment was a legal comment....you know, grounded in legal rights granted to us by that document.  Interesting. 

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2019, 03:16:04 AM »
Interesting, I thought my comment was a legal comment....you know, grounded in legal rights granted to us by that document.  Interesting.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
What is the concern here?

Please enlighten us.

First off, there is no us.  Unless you're carrying a turd around in your pocket.

You seem to be implying that Asians as a minority are successful, so other minorities should also be successful.  Like Asians.  Am I off the mark here?

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2019, 10:07:47 AM »
First off, there is no us.  Unless you're carrying a turd around in your pocket.

You seem to be implying that Asians as a minority are successful, so other minorities should also be successful.  Like Asians.  Am I off the mark here?

This could get fun.  I’d actually like to here people’s opinions on that. My wife is Asian, naturally her mother is as well.  Her mother grew up dirt poor in Korea.  My mother-in-law eventually went to school to be a doctor.  She did well in her life, and my wife also did well compared to most peoples standards. 

I notice the Asian culture works their a**es off in anything they do. (Not saying other ethnicities don’t). I personally believe the majority of Asians have a higher IQ then Caucasian’s, and every other race.  I also think Asians aren’t typically as athletically gifted as whites, African Americans, and other races.

Does that make it wrong or politically incorrect because those are my personal findings and experiences? I don’t think it does

Bail, and Mike, what do you think the reason is for the differences between cultures?  PM me if needed

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »
This could get fun.  I’d actually like to here people’s opinions on that. My wife is Asian, naturally her mother is as well.  Her mother grew up dirt poor in Korea.  My mother-in-law eventually went to school to be a doctor.  She did well in her life, and my wife also did well compared to most peoples standards. 

I notice the Asian culture works their a**es off in anything they do. (Not saying other ethnicities don’t). I personally believe the majority of Asians have a higher IQ then Caucasian’s, and every other race.  I also think Asians aren’t typically as athletically gifted as whites, African Americans, and other races.

Does that make it wrong or politically incorrect because those are my personal findings and experiences? I don’t think it does

Bail, and Mike, what do you think the reason is for the differences between cultures?  PM me if needed

I thought Reggie White was dead.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »

stereotypes, anecdotes, and 'beliefs'.

Lordy.

feedback