[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Here come the judge...  (Read 35294 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Here come the judge...
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2019, 10:33:48 PM »
If you say so. Merry Xmas!

The Raleigh News and Observer says so
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2019, 10:25:13 AM »
The NCAA has a built in audience of alumni, and "State-pride", viewers that tune in for the team, not the players on the roster.

Well, yes ... and no.
Are a lot of alums and "state-pride" people tuning in to watch Florida International  basketball? Or New Hampshire football?
Nope. Because they don't have the players that make those teams worth watching.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
They get paid, then they should get zero scholarship and can pay for school.  I keep hearing this bullshyte argument that other students can endorse things....sure...and other students are paying tuition, and don't get free tutors, and free room and board, and a chance to audition several times a week to a future employer.  So if they want to do what other students do, start paying for school, going to class and then we can talk.

This silly argument ignores the fact that athletes in the revenue-producing sports contribute substantially more to their university than any other student. When 18,000 people fill the Fiserv to watch an engineering competition, or 110,000 pack the Big House to see a poetry reading, you might have a point. Until then, it's ludicrous.

Also, I'm saddened to learn that all academic and need-based scholarships, grants, co-op and internship programs, etc., have been eliminated.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:15 AM »
This silly argument ignores the fact that athletes in the revenue-producing sports contribute substantially more to their university than any other student. When 18,000 people fill the Fiserv to watch an engineering competition, or 110,000 pack the Big House to see a poetry reading, you might have a point. Until then, it's ludicrous.

Also, I'm saddened to learn that all academic and need-based scholarships, grants, co-op and internship programs, etc., have been eliminated.

Short term perhaps, but long term I'd be curious. Let's take Stanford, id wager good money that the grads that contribute to tech start up in Silicon Valley have done more to further that school than the revenue producing sports. Same with Wharton Business, god knows how many people from duke, vandy, etc. heck I'd be very curious if Georgetown receives more money from high rolling alumni than the teams net rev.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
Short term perhaps, but long term I'd be curious. Let's take Stanford, id wager good money that the grads that contribute to tech start up in Silicon Valley have done more to further that school than the revenue producing sports. Same with Wharton Business, god knows how many people from duke, vandy, etc. heck I'd be very curious if Georgetown receives more money from high rolling alumni than the teams net rev.

Beats me. Do the research and let me know.
But for purposes of this discussion, it's totally irrelevant, since we were discussing "students" not "alumni."

Of course, when you calculate, keep in mind that Stanford graduates a several thousand students (undergrad and masters) every year, but only about 20-25 from the football and men's basketball program. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, right?
Also, keep in mind that most alumni don't give anything, or very little, after graduating, so you'll need to factor that into the equation as well.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:12:21 AM by Pakuni »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »
Beats me. Do the research and let me know.
But for purposes of this discussion, it's totally irrelevant, since we were discussing "students" not "alumni."

Of course, when you calculate, keep in mind that Stanford graduates a several thousand students (undergrad and masters) every year, but only about 20-25 from the football and men's basketball program. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, right?
Also, keep in mind that most alumni don't give anything, or very little, after graduating, so you'll need to factor that into the equation as well.

Bruh I've got a thesis to finish that's more than enough research for me was just trying to poke holes in the argument about who contributes more.

Well, yes ... and no.
Are a lot of alums and "state-pride" people tuning in to watch Florida International  basketball? Or New Hampshire football?
Nope. Because they don't have the players that make those teams worth watching.

Well I think it's because the standard of player is significantly less for them to the point where they know they won't be competitive. If the top 50 recruits all went pro and MU got stuck recruit 100-150 instead of 50-100 we'd all still watch because again it's the name on the front. Maybe some of the casual viewers would stop watching over time.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
Bruh I've got a thesis to finish that's more than enough research for me was just trying to poke holes in the argument about who contributes more.

Bruh, that thesis hasn't kept you from 5,700+ posts here.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
Bruh, that thesis hasn't kept you from 5,700+ posts here.

Well three of those were undergrad, then 5 years of being in the working world...or do you think I've been doing a thesis for 7yrs? Also I'd say if you look at my posts there's probably one hands worth of well researched posts  and none to the level of research you're asking :P
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
Oh, that means when Arizona is formerly acknowledged as cheating, Prescott Community College will get the death penalty.

You read my mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 12:56:56 PM »
The Raleigh News and Observer says so

Since when do you care what newspapers say? Merry Xmas!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 01:04:00 PM »

Hoist on his own petard - again!

Slim

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
Well three of those were undergrad, then 5 years of being in the working world...or do you think I've been doing a thesis for 7yrs? Also I'd say if you look at my posts there's probably one hands worth of well researched posts  and none to the level of research you're asking :P

I’m guessing it is not a thesis in Mathematics.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2019, 04:26:23 PM »
I’m guessing it is not a thesis in Mathematics.

Lol typo but I'll keep it for the humor 🤗
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2019, 06:22:15 PM »

Those people are filling Michigan stadium whether the 4th string punter is on the team or not, same for the 3rd string LB that plays on special teams. They are going to cheer on the team with the name on the FRONT of the uniform, not on the back.

Guess what also contributes....the fact Michigan, Duke, Marquette, etc are on TV gives these guys a grand platform to showcase their wares every time out in exchange for a job, possibly millions in compensation.  If it wasn't for that platform, which the school and conference provide, they wouldn't be in line to make that money.  Goes both ways. 

You want to get paid....go pro, go to the G League....or pay your own tuition and all the costs involved.  If you don't want to get paid, then your education will be covered along with other costs of attendance. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »

The ones with fraud reporters and agendas, I don't.  The ones that have written an outcome or purposely leave critical pieces of information out of their "reporting"...I don't.   Fortunately not all journalists are like this.  Unfortunately, too many are.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »

Totally agree with you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2019, 07:18:21 PM »
Those people are filling Michigan stadium whether the 4th string punter is on the team or not, same for the 3rd string LB that plays on special teams. They are going to cheer on the team with the name on the FRONT of the uniform, not on the back.

Guess what also contributes....the fact Michigan, Duke, Marquette, etc are on TV gives these guys a grand platform to showcase their wares every time out in exchange for a job, possibly millions in compensation.  If it wasn't for that platform, which the school and conference provide, they wouldn't be in line to make that money.  Goes both ways. 

1. Has anyone suggested that the 3rd string LB or the 4th string punter is being denied compensation associated with selling their likeness?

2. Are you honestly suggesting the NBA and NFL discover their future players on TV?

Dumb.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2019, 07:24:56 PM »
1. Has anyone suggested that the 3rd string LB or the 4th string punter is being denied compensation associated with selling their likeness?

2. Are you honestly suggesting the NBA and NFL discover their future players on TV?

Dumb.

Is there any evidence that players who go to high major schools and get drafted in the lottery end up with higher shoe deals than Europe or mid major players? I only ask because that'd be pretty solid evidence that the money they make post college is impacted by having that launching platform of a well known program.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
Is there any evidence that players who go to high major schools and get drafted in the lottery end up with higher shoe deals than Europe or mid major players? I only ask because that'd be pretty solid evidence that the money they make post college is impacted by having that launching platform of a well known program.

Ja Morant from mid major Murray State signed a multi year deal with Nike that will likely only be eclipsed (among this year's draftees) only by the one Zion Williamson signs. Somehow the scouts and the $$$ found him despite the unattractive name on the front of his jersey and his lack of TV exposure. I'm sure Chico is shocked. I'm not.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2019, 10:13:31 PM »

Dumb.

Are you suggesting only the starters get paid?  Lol.  Good luck with that.  Look, this is where this all goes sideways.  In recruiting these kids will be guaranteed $$$ whether they ever play or not, that’s how the scam is going to work. 

On your second question, do I think scouts notice players at bigger schools that are media visible more than those that aren’t?  Uhm, yes.  I have quoted several scouts over the years here for NBA teams that I am friends with who will tell you the same thing. 

So not dumb at all.  With limited time and resources, the better players go to the better schools and are on tv more often on average, so yes it matters when trying to allocate time, money, resources.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:29:43 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
Ja Morant from mid major Murray State signed a multi year deal with Nike that will likely only be eclipsed (among this year's draftees) only by the one Zion Williamson signs. Somehow the scouts and the $$$ found him despite the unattractive name on the front of his jersey and his lack of TV exposure. I'm sure Chico is shocked. I'm not.

Yup, he is the rare case.  Should we rattle off the many players that were free agents or second round draft picks that ended up being very good players the scouts missed on because they weren’t at high majors and playing every game on tv?  Happy to do that but this week meetings with NBA, but will be happy to look into it next week when I have the time and inclination. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »
Yup, he is the rare case.  Should we rattle off the many players that were free agents or second round draft picks that ended up being very good players the scouts missed on because they weren’t at high majors and playing every game on tv?  Happy to do that but this week meetings with NBA, but will be happy to look into it next week when I have the time and inclination.

LOL. You mean free agents like Wesley Matthews from never on TV Big East mid major Marquette? Lack of TV keeping guys from being "discovered"? The 1970s just called for you. Too funny.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
LOL. You mean free agents like Wesley Matthews from never on TV Big East mid major Marquette? Lack of TV keeping guys from being "discovered"? The 1970s just called for you. Too funny.

Exceptions to everything, again would you like to go through the list of players...more than happy after meetings are concluded next Tuesday.

We can start with undrafted Seth Curry who went to a small school rarely on TV...how does that sound Lenny?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2019, 10:35:00 PM »
Again, I don't think anyone is saying the schools aren't important or that most student-athletes (I would argue 99%) are fairly compensated. But if outside entities want to pay them for their likeness, I still haven't heard an argument against it other than "it will get abused." That's true, but I think the current system and any system will be abused so I don't think it's the strongest argument.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »
What does mid-major players not getting drafted have to do with student-athletes being allowed to profit off their likeness? I got lost on the way from Point A to Point Q.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.