collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 184059 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #1250 on: July 09, 2020, 01:02:50 PM »
After peeking at the car condition, that’s the second thing I check out when an interviewee arrives.

You'd knock a candidate for the condition of their car?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: July 09, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »

If this is what their dashboard looks like with a few years worth of past city stickers on it, I'm not hiring them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: July 09, 2020, 09:02:52 PM »
You'd knock a candidate for the condition of their car?

Yep, majority of our hires end up driving company vehicles. Damage, condition and pride of ownership.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: July 09, 2020, 09:04:13 PM »

If this is what their dashboard looks like with a few years worth of past city stickers on it, I'm not hiring them.

City stickers I’m okay with, they’re paying annually instead of ignoring it.

I’ve seen those dashboards, good indicator.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:30 AM »
Yep, majority of our hires end up driving company vehicles. Damage, condition and pride of ownership.

Opening it up from an employment perspective, I've always been of the belief that the condition of a person's car gives you great insight into their character and constitution.

Similar benchmark of character tests for me: how a person treats the staff in a restaurant and how a person behaves on the golf course.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: July 10, 2020, 10:01:20 AM »
Opening it up from an employment perspective, I've always been of the belief that the condition of a person's car gives you great insight into their character and constitution.

Similar benchmark of character tests for me: how a person treats the staff in a restaurant and how a person behaves on the golf course.

I had a business owner tell me once to always look at the condition of a contractor's service vehicles when evaluating whether to hire them are not.  Are they clean and well-maintained?  If they don't even take good care of their own stuff, why would you expect them to take good care of yours?

Made sense to me.
Have some patience, FFS.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: July 11, 2020, 10:01:56 AM »
I had a business owner tell me once to always look at the condition of a contractor's service vehicles when evaluating whether to hire them are not.  Are they clean and well-maintained?  If they don't even take good care of their own stuff, why would you expect them to take good care of yours?

Made sense to me.

Our guiding decision criteria exactly.   We chose our fence contractor because he had a clean truck, a Marine Corps sticker and was driving in the right lane on an interstate.

I asked him, why the left lane.  He said because he is a retired cop.  There you go.  BTW, 3 fences later and a wonderful relationship.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: July 11, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »
Watt went rong wit da furst too fenses, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: July 11, 2020, 08:26:43 PM »

Elephants, man.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: July 12, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »
Yeesh, my 2004 Corolla probably wouldn't pass that test. Has a couple dents in it but those were there before I even got it.

Guess I can add that to the list. Don't get judging someone based on their car. Some people are just not car people and it's only to get them from point A to point B.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: July 12, 2020, 05:48:49 PM »
Yeesh, my 2004 Corolla probably wouldn't pass that test. Has a couple dents in it but those were there before I even got it.

Guess I can add that to the list. Don't get judging someone based on their car. Some people are just not car people and it's only to get them from point A to point B.

The type of car you drive and the condition of that car are separate things.

I don't care what model people drive. But if that thing is a dumpster on wheels it gives me a peek inside what is (and isn't) important to the driver. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: July 12, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »
I own four cars and they all look brand new. My 2016 BMW is the newest of the group and literally looks off the showroom shiny, even though it has 32,000 miles on it.

My 2011 Buick Enclave has 116,000 miles on it and we're going to keep it until it dies of old age. We maintain it and we make darn sure it is washed, clean and waxed. My 2012 Buick LaCrosse has people asking if it is brand new (72,000 miles).

Finally, my senior citizen is my 2008 VW Eos. That too is in outstanding shape. Key is clean it and wax it (and polish out the small scratches). Regularly change the fluids and fix them when they need repair. Oh, and when they get scratched or dented, have a body shop who knows you by your first name.

For those who ask, I have two cars in Chicago (BMW 5-series) and the Enclave and two in Florida (Eos and the LaCrosse).

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: July 13, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »
I don't get chain emails.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1263 on: July 13, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
people who cry over videos they see on the internet, particularly when so many are staged these days.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: July 13, 2020, 05:40:38 PM »

They got arrested.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: July 13, 2020, 05:49:27 PM »
people who cry over videos they see on the internet, particularly when so many are staged these days.

People who cry over anything on the internet really. The replies on Twitter or social media to something offensive, or a political piece, or something abroad and people are like “I’m sitting here bawling” “I’m shaking with anger” “I can’t stop crying over this”. And I’m not talking absurd tragedies or the most heart wrenching of videos, I’m talking run of the mill stuff that at worst should be like “that’s messed up, hope something can be done”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: July 13, 2020, 05:54:31 PM »

Not necessarily in agreement on the car part, but not a hill I’ll die on.  The last two, 100% agreement.  Former mother-in-law was awful to restaurant staff everyplace we went.  It matched the character
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1267 on: July 13, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »
People who cry over anything on the internet really. The replies on Twitter or social media to something offensive, or a political piece, or something abroad and people are like “I’m sitting here bawling” “I’m shaking with anger” “I can’t stop crying over this”. And I’m not talking absurd tragedies or the most heart wrenching of videos, I’m talking run of the mill stuff that at worst should be like “that’s messed up, hope something can be done”

Not just negative stuff like you're talking about. I thought of this because there was a Tik Tok video on all over twitter yesterday (I saw it because Rex Chapman posted it) of a cashier paying for a homeless guy's snacks. It was obviously staged (who happens to be recording a Tik Tok video of customers at a convenience store?) but so many responses were "crying," "bawling my eyes out" and the like.

I workout at Orange Theory (well, not right now) and go to the Reddit page a bit. People would talk about crying as they went by their studio when it was closed. WTF??

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: July 13, 2020, 06:25:05 PM »
Not just negative stuff like you're talking about. I thought of this because there was a Tik Tok video on all over twitter yesterday (I saw it because Rex Chapman posted it) of a cashier paying for a homeless guy's snacks. It was obviously staged (who happens to be recording a Tik Tok video of customers at a convenience store?) but so many responses were "crying," "bawling my eyes out" and the like.

I workout at Orange Theory (well, not right now) and go to the Reddit page a bit. People would talk about crying as they went by their studio when it was closed. WTF??

Oh for sure. The guy going up to a fruit cart “how much to buy all of this”. Hands a $100 and poses with a beaming vendor. SO ORGANIC. And people are choking up

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: July 13, 2020, 07:11:42 PM »
Zero chance I am making a hiring decision based on the cleanliness of someone's car, or their type of car, or if they have a car.

I once was coming back from a trip, pretty messy car, (usually well kept but not at that moment) and, I received an unexpected call from a high level executive of an organization. There was a mix up with his ride to the airport. We didn't know each other. He asked me if I would give him a last minute ride to to catch a flight. It was a big city but I could hustle, pick him up from his hotel and scramble to get him to the airport in time for his flight in traffic. Zero time to clean the car. I was concerned with the condition of the car at that moment, thinking it was a deal breaker. Based only on our time together that day, he offered me a good job.

Another example is when I had to travel to spend time working with a colleague. I knew him, knew his work, very bright, very capable, got results, good person, organized, etc....We had just never never ridden together in his car before. When he picked me up, my jaw hit the floor. His SUV was a disaster. It could not have been the same person I knew. But yep it was him and his car. At first I didn't really know what to say. Eventually, later it became, "You need to do something about the condition of your car." We laughed. Zero chance I would hold that against him. None. He was a highly valued worker a long time.

I would however be interested in how someone consistently treats other people that are in zero position to help him/her in any way.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1270 on: July 13, 2020, 08:07:43 PM »
Oh for sure. The guy going up to a fruit cart “how much to buy all of this”. Hands a $100 and poses with a beaming vendor. SO ORGANIC. And people are choking up

the last time I cried over something I saw on TV or the internet was our win against Kentucky in 2003.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: July 13, 2020, 08:55:41 PM »
Nobody here cried when Old Yeller got shot?
I'm sure.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: July 13, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: July 13, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »
I'm sure.

More of a stand up and cheer moment, tbh.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1274 on: July 13, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »
I'm sure.

Not as an adult.