collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 184074 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2019, 12:53:29 PM »
I don't get and will never get Snapchat

Its just a different way to send dick pics.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »
So you're saying that the thing you don't like about the Beatles is that Paul and John didn't sing well? Okey dokey then.

Yeah, I kinda thought Ringo carried the band!!!!!!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
One I just thought of: Yelpers, especially those who review places they've never been to because of some political controversy (e.g. the Red Hen or the pizza place in Indiana). Yelpers, in general, can be annoying (a dentist friend refuses to put his practice on there because some fellow dentists in the area have been practically extorted with people threatening bad reviews if they don't do something for them) but to go out of your way to rip or praise a restaurant in the news because of a political controversy when you've never been there? I just don't get that.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2019, 06:24:01 PM »
How about this, inspired by the NM thread: I don't get people who spend half a grand on a cooler and even less those who are SO proud of it. People buy a Yeti (or similar) cooler and not only have they spent hundreds of dollars on something far beyond what most people could ever need from a cooler, but then they put the company's stickers on their truck, their laptop, fridge, hat, whatever. It's become a very odd piece of "conspicuous consumption" the past few years.

I spent $40 on a Coleman (Xtreme series, I think?) and it does exactly as well, for my purposes, as something that costs ten times as much. Then again, I don't need to keep fish fresh for five days - just cold drinks and snacks for a day or two.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
How about this, inspired by the NM thread: I don't get people who spend half a grand on a cooler and even less those who are SO proud of it.

Ever heard of this thing called the iPhone?  Same thing, except it's a full grand.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #305 on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:30 PM »
Upscale Mexican restaurants that have "street tacos" on their menu.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #306 on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »
How about this, inspired by the NM thread: I don't get people who spend half a grand on a cooler and even less those who are SO proud of it. People buy a Yeti (or similar) cooler and not only have they spent hundreds of dollars on something far beyond what most people could ever need from a cooler, but then they put the company's stickers on their truck, their laptop, fridge, hat, whatever. It's become a very odd piece of "conspicuous consumption" the past few years.

I spent $40 on a Coleman (Xtreme series, I think?) and it does exactly as well, for my purposes, as something that costs ten times as much. Then again, I don't need to keep fish fresh for five days - just cold drinks and snacks for a day or two.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
Ever heard of this thing called the iPhone?  Same thing, except it's a full grand.

The same thing as what?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #308 on: June 11, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »
That reminds me.   I don't get why iphone users are so convinced their phones are that much better than any other out there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #309 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:32 PM »
That reminds me.   I don't get why iphone users are so convinced their phones are that much better than any other out there.

Because they are brand whores rather than heady consumers.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #310 on: June 11, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »

Ummm. Try $1500.  If you ever make it to the end zone, act like you have been there before.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #311 on: June 11, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
Golf
Tennis

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #312 on: June 11, 2019, 10:33:23 PM »

Not sure I follow your point or how it relates to my post. You don't like Apple products/fans?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2019, 10:34:55 PM »

Not trying to be rude but I genuinely don't know what you mean by this. You agree? I hit it on the nose?
Signature:

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2019, 11:39:30 PM »
Add me to those who don't get the cult of the Iphone
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #315 on: June 11, 2019, 11:46:31 PM »

The cult of Apple in general (as I type this on an iPad). I remember when Jobs died, I went past an Apple store with a bunch of apples with one bite taken out laying in front of it, candles, gifts and notes to Jobs pasted on the window, with some I saw saying “you saved my marriage” and “you made my life worth living.” Really, a computer company CEO and his slave labor made products did that for you?

In general, people who build their identity around products and brands I don’t get.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2019, 12:45:00 AM »

It’s iPhone, young lad. With Jobs, it was technology: iOS, the mouse, color monitors, Mac, GUI, true email, music, telephony, SMS, animation, video, and photography. And then it ended.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2019, 12:50:03 AM »
The cult of Apple in general (as I type this on an iPad). I remember when Jobs died, I went past an Apple store with a bunch of apples with one bite taken out laying in front of it, candles, gifts and notes to Jobs pasted on the window, with some I saw saying “you saved my marriage” and “you made my life worth living.” Really, a computer company CEO and his slave labor made products did that for you?

In general, people who build their identity around products and brands I don’t get.

Billy/Chico’s, you missed a generation.  Maybe you’ll catch up on the next Summit. So sad.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2019, 04:42:08 AM »
I got an iPhone because of the vertical integration. Their phones had ITunes back when it mattered, had photos that sunk up with iPhoto, had a better selection of apps, etc. honestly now that I think about it I could probably move away from iPhone since music is on Spotify and I use google for photo storage and amazon prime for videos more than iTunes.

I do think the laptops are much more user friendly though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #319 on: June 12, 2019, 07:13:16 AM »
I don't get Olympic swimming events other than freestyle.  Who cares who the fastest to get from point A to point B using some sub-optimal stroke is?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #320 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:41 AM »
I don't get Olympic swimming events other than freestyle.  Who cares who the fastest to get from point A to point B using some sub-optimal stroke is?

Couldn't you argue that same point about most track events? Sprints of different distance, hurdles, relay.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #321 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:54 AM »

This reminds me of Robin William's stand up routine about the invention of golf

https://youtu.be/pcnFbCCgTo4
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #322 on: June 12, 2019, 08:41:00 AM »
Couldn't you argue that same point about most track events? Sprints of different distance, hurdles, relay.
I think the more appropriate analogy would be races where you have to run backwards, or side shuffle, or some slower gait.  Which of course we have in the form of race walking, which how this is an Olympic sport is something I don't get.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #323 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »

Why have any Olympic events other than swimming, running, and wrestling?

Athletic ability in its purest form.  No teams, no equipment.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #324 on: June 12, 2019, 08:58:13 AM »
Athletic ability in its purest form.  No teams, no equipment.

Are they also doing this naked?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback