Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Symir!!! 2019!!!  (Read 38294 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Symir!!! 2019!!!
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2019, 05:22:57 AM »
Yes
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
I have mixed emotions on his decision. While it would be great if he could be a big contributor next year, I would hate to see a year wasted if that is not the case. As a rule, not a big fan of reclassifying. Many on here question how much freshmen can/will contribute and having a kid come in early makes that more difficult.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
I have mixed emotions on his decision. While it would be great if he could be a big contributor next year, I would hate to see a year wasted if that is not the case. As a rule, not a big fan of reclassifying. Many on here question how much freshmen can/will contribute and having a kid come in early makes that more difficult.

Generally agree here, although I think he was originally in class of 2019 before transferring to Vermont Academy. Don't have the details, but he was listed as a sophomore at Syracuse Science Academy for 2016-17. That would have made him a senior for 2018-19. So it seems like he's at least the right age.

Still, I don't think there's a huge need for him as the roster is currently constructed, so I wouldn't hate to see a redshirt. Go ahead and burn it if we have an early season injury to one of the guards.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
Alternatively, would it make sense that he prefers to come here instead of an additional high school year to prepare with the team, collegiate strength/conditioning coaches, etc?  Similar to what Joey did, but for the full year instead?  If planned time to be at Marquette is 2020-2024, theoretically could maximize that by coming early to redshirt and hit the ground running in what would have been his original freshman year

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2019, 10:40:51 AM »

Agreed Goose. Personally, I don't like trading a year of 23 year old Symir for a year of 18 year old Symir. My guess 23 year old Symir will be the better of the two. Of course, if the plan is to redshirt him like some speculated, then you don't have to make that trade.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »
Agreed Goose. Personally, I don't like trading a year of 23 year old Symir for a year of 18 year old Symir. My guess 23 year old Symir will be the better of the two. Of course, if the plan is to redshirt him like some speculated, then you don't have to make that trade.

He looks physically ready to play now, not like Greg Elliott who was a string bean and needed a year to mature.  Symir might be the only true point on the team, Howard
is not, Elliott is not and not even sure Koby is.  So he might get more time then you think.  I see the 4 guards and Sacar playing a lot this year.  So 3 spots for 5 players.
Cain and Bailey will be involved at the 3 as well, competition is great to have.  Of course, those 2 will be playing the 4 as well.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »
He looks physically ready to play now, not like Greg Elliott who was a string bean and needed a year to mature.  Symir might be the only true point on the team, .

Yeah this is the way I see it too.  We really haven't had a true Point for years.  If we find he's ready, Great.  But if he's not then go with the RS(if he agrees).  But we have this option if he's here, we don't have that choice if he's in High School
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »
Is the question here really would Symir be better at 18 then 23!?!?
Would love for him to come and redshirt for a year and hit the ground running with a year of practice n weights for 2020 season.  It could be true tho that hes the best PG on the roster, which would be a godsend after not having one last year.  Most likely for coaches to decide how the whole 3 headed monster of kobe, greg, and markus can handle ball handling n more importantly good shot facilitation with the ball in their hands.  Greg really impressed me as a facilitator n willing passer with really nice court vision.  Markus i think us a willing passer but simply has hirrible court vision and a very poor PG mentality, effort is there just not in his DNA, imo.  If kobe is a willing n gifted passer i would be elated to see Symir redshirt.  If all 3 are inable to pass n get an offense operating n producing easy baskets thru ball movement then Symir has to play. My 2 cents
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
I'm for letting Symir do exactly what he wants to do, of course after discussing all of his options with his parents and coaches.

If after all of that, he decides he does not want to redshirt, I will support that decision 100% no matter how much (or little) he plays.

I mean, do we even really know the kinds of conversations he's had about this subject already? Maybe he told Wojo that one reason he picked Marquette over others is that others wanted him to redshirt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »
One thing to keep in mind in regards to coming early and redshirting, that is a long season for kid not doing what he loves most in life. I would think sitting out your first year could cause added frustration for a kid. RS second year and you already have adjusted to MKE/school and made friends. I think coming early to sit out is a risk of having kid possibly making a bad decision down the road.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
My gut feeling is that Wojo will want to show he did need the Hausers, so he will not redshirt anyone.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »

But does 23-year-old Symir still want to be in college ... and does 18-year-old Symir think he'll still be a college student at 23?

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
But does 23-year-old Symir still want to be in college ... and does 18-year-old Symir think he'll still be a college student at 23?

Precisely.  The presumption that any incoming freshman will stay for 4 or 5 years is going against the trend given the number of transfers, grad transfers and early entrants.   Suit him up and let's get after it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »
My gut feeling is that Wojo will want to show he did need the Hausers, so he will not redshirt anyone.

Yet Joey redshirted

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »

"not" is a bad word to accidentally leave out of most posts.

Precisely.  The presumption that any incoming freshman will stay for 4 or 5 years is going against the trend given the number of transfers, grad transfers and early entrants.   Suit him up and let's get after it.

This ... if it's what Symir wants. (And why wouldn't it be?)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »

This ... if it's what Symir wants. (And why wouldn't it be?)
One would think he would want to play. Suit him up.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
Forget who took original pic of whiteboard. Kudos to that MU fan.

Not a pic, screen grab from a MU basketball video.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
He looks physically ready to play now, not like Greg Elliott who was a string bean and needed a year to mature.  Symir might be the only true point on the team, Howard
is not, Elliott is not and not even sure Koby is.  So he might get more time then you think.  I see the 4 guards and Sacar playing a lot this year.  So 3 spots for 5 players.
Cain and Bailey will be involved at the 3 as well, competition is great to have.  Of course, those 2 will be playing the 4 as well.

What makes you think that he is a true point?  I've always seen him listed as a combo guard.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2019, 04:37:10 PM »
What makes you think that he is a true point?  I've always seen him listed as a combo guard.

Watch the video? Can play both, but has court vision

muguru

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2019, 06:45:52 PM »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
Yet Joey redshirted
Joey was recovering from ankle surgery.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
And got class A medical care which was the point of enrollment
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »
Wojo was by his side.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »
Will discuss red shirting with the staff when he gets on campus

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2019/06/03/marquette-gets-basketball-recruit-symir-torrence-2019-year-early/1330665001/

There it is. It has been discussed and will be discussed more. Seems like either option is possible. I just want him to be happy during his entire time at Marquette, and productive when he's playing.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2019, 02:08:42 AM »
People, come on, a bird in hand it always worth two in the bush. If the choice was Symir vs. someone else in 2019-2020 then maybe there is some discussion. But right now the choice is Symir vs. an empty schollie - no brainer - if he makes a single positive contribution this year it's a plus on the season.

Speculating about a trade off with 2023 is rediculous - any number of zillion things can and will have changed by then. You want to put the absolute BEST product you can on the floor in any given year. You deal with the future when it comes. (Exhibit 1, Hank).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

feedback