[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic  (Read 27098 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Wojo/MU story in The Athletic
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »
Back to the Athletic article...

Some on here have questioned what type of message MU wants to send to their fans about the type of program they aspire to be.  Do they want to compete with the big boys, or do they want to have a passable team that makes the NCAA Tournament some of the time and wins a game or two there on occasion, with an emphasis on “low risk” players who represent the university well?

If you read between the lines of this article, I think you’ll notice that there’s a gradual sea change going on.  Wojo and the Athletic Department *are* now touting what great human beings their players are and how successful they’ve been in the community and classroom, and they’re saying things like, “We believe the winning will come, even though it hasn’t happened yet.”  Wojo even said something to the effect of, “I was hired to run a program that represents the university well.”  Hell, the last paragraph pretty much states that if you don’t like the direction of the program, then too bad, because that’s the way things are going to be.

My main takeaway from this article is that Wojo’s seat isn’t remotely hot.  And if it gets hot, he’ll be replaced with another guy who will achieve slightly-better-than-Deane results.  That’s what we’ve gotten and that’s what we’ll continue to get with the current administration.  They’ve just been slow to let us know about it.

By finishing second in the Big East, defeating cross state rival 3rd time in four years, defeating the Big 12 champ, knocking off Buffalo, beating the defending national champion, earning a five seed in the ncaa tournament, etc, etc are you saying we aren’t competing with the big boys?

This is where I have to keep scratching my head, apparently any successes we have in the regular season don’t count, any big wins have an *, and can be excused away as not being competitive.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:18:12 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »
They’re not, but let’s be honest:  Only a select few extremely talented coaches are able to walk that tight rope.  I don’t think we have one.

Bullshyte
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
Can you finally just tell us all the stories - and you don't have to name specific names, I'd just like to know actions - that aren't already public knowledge?
He doesn’t have any stories. Chicos/Hoopaloop worked at MU when Mike Deane was coach but claims to have “sources” telling him insider trading information. I have a hard time believing there are still people in the athletic department from when he worked there that would even share their library card with the guy considering everybody knows who he is and knows he’s practically unhinged on this board and others. It’s all an act. Freeway is more discreet.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
He doesn’t have any stories. Chicos/Hoopaloop worked at MU when Mike Deane was coach but claims to have “sources” telling him insider trading information. I have a hard time believing there are still people in the athletic department from when he worked there that would even share their library card with the guy considering everybody knows who he is and knows he’s practically unhinged on this board and others. It’s all an act. Freeway is more discreet.

I worked during for Deane and Crean.  Still have friends at university and lots that worked in athletics that are still well connected, worked through Crean and Buzz.  That’s not really the point, but deciding what is discreet from someone that called Howard a cancer (you said that) is absolutely amazing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »

Put the emperor who wore no clothes...Jon Lovitz as "The Liar"..and Geraldo Rivera at the gates of Al Capone's vault...in a blender.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »
Back to the Athletic article...

Some on here have questioned what type of message MU wants to send to their fans about the type of program they aspire to be.  Do they want to compete with the big boys, or do they want to have a passable team that makes the NCAA Tournament some of the time and wins a game or two there on occasion, with an emphasis on “low risk” players who represent the university well?

If you read between the lines of this article, I think you’ll notice that there’s a gradual sea change going on.  Wojo and the Athletic Department *are* now touting what great human beings their players are and how successful they’ve been in the community and classroom, and they’re saying things like, “We believe the winning will come, even though it hasn’t happened yet.”  Wojo even said something to the effect of, “I was hired to run a program that represents the university well.”  Hell, the last paragraph pretty much states that if you don’t like the direction of the program, then too bad, because that’s the way things are going to be.

My main takeaway from this article is that Wojo’s seat isn’t remotely hot.  And if it gets hot, he’ll be replaced with another guy who will achieve slightly-better-than-Deane results.  That’s what we’ve gotten and that’s what we’ll continue to get with the current administration.  They’ve just been slow to let us know about it.

I think both goals are attainable but have doubts that Wojo reach them. Wright and Few have done both although it took quite a few years (no pun intended). While Cheeks correctly pointed out that Marquette had it's share of successes this past season, I think his asterick comment should be attached to his 2nd place BE conference remark. Yes, we finished second but all Marquette had to do was win 1 of the last 4 games to tie for first. At 12-6, I thought we would at the very least win our 2 home games against opponents whom we defeated on the road and finish in sole possession of first place. Put in this context, I think the 2nd place finish has lost much of its shine.

Neither Wojo's high water mark of 23-4 nor the following tailspin should be dismissed. This season Wojo will need to work with 4-5 guys who were not on last season's team, adjust for the loss of the Hausers' scoring (and, thankfully, not be burdened by Joey's so-called defense), and land great recruits to prepare for the following season's absence of Markus and others. I want very much to be proven wrong but I am skeptical that Wojo is the guy to continue Marquette's projectory. I agree his seat is not even slightly warm and considering the record, as much as I really hate putting the 23-4 and 1-6 in a blender, it should not be. 

I agree with your reading between the lines, but having a clean program and a highly successful one are not mutually exclusive or even all that rare. Unfortunately, Wojo seems to have a very long leash and will survive a disappointing season(s). 

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

legit lol

feedback