[Today at 09:32:15 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "A Golden Moment"  (Read 7727 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
"A Golden Moment"
« on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:29 PM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/9gQ4qeAAz2Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/9gQ4qeAAz2Y</a>

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: "A Golden Moment"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:05:38 AM »
Thank you for sharing.  About 5 seconds in the middle of this video had a special meaning for me that I get to share with my family.  Appreciate you putting this up.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 05:02:54 AM »
Al sure knew how to get blue chippers to MKE. Awful lot of talent on that squad.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 05:22:26 AM »
Al sure knew how to get blue chippers to MKE. Awful lot of talent on that squad.

Milwaukee also had a lot more national pull during the 70s.  It was just outside the top 10 for most populous cities in the US.  Currently, Milwaukee is something like 30+.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 07:22:38 AM »
Milwaukee also had a lot more national pull during the 70s.  It was just outside the top 10 for most populous cities in the US.  Currently, Milwaukee is something like 30+.
Suspect it was Al rather than the pull of MKE.   ;)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 07:32:02 AM »
You think recruits care about the size of the city?  That’s probably why St Johns and DePaul are so good and Kansas and Kentucky suck.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »
Watching those guys play so brilliantly is such a treat . 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
Thanks so much for posting this. I remember when UNC went to the "Four Corners" offense in the title game. My sister called right after the game ended. I screamed WE WON! so loudly my throat hurt for hours afterwards. The thrill of winning a National Championship will stay with those of us who experienced it for the rest of our lives.

RIP Jerome Whitehead. And Al. 

You made my day Doc. I hope this serves as a truce between the warring parties on Scoop for at least an hour or two....OK, OK...., how about 22 minutes?

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:40:03 AM »
This was so fun to watch. I was not around for the run so to hear all these tidbits and accounts is incredible. Lost the last 3 home games, Al booed after the L to Wichita State at The Mecca, 5 games on the road to end season/clinch berth, close game against KSU in 2nd round, and even that full court pass and finish by JW against UNC-Charlotte. Wow. Awesome, awesome stuff.

(Think of all the meltdowns on Scoop we could have experienced during that season!)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »

Yup, hit gold with a special person.  Big East not yet formed, which would have hurt, television of college hoops in its infancy, only 32 teams made it back then, scholarships allowed good teams to horde players, etc,

The world is vastly different now, and even Al wanted out several times from MU and hung it up early in life from coaching.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »
Great memories. Thanks for posting Doc!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 11:08:29 AM »
The that was so fun to watch.  Thanks for posting!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Doc - great video.

I know that some of the young (and not so young) Scoopers who weren't around for the Al era tire of hearing about the "good old days". They say things have changed (they always do) but much has remained the same. There were 5 elite programs during Al's era - Marquette, UCLA, N Carolina, Kentucky and Indiana. There are 7 today - N Car, KY, Duke, Michigan St, Kansas, Villanova and Gonzaga. Virginia is poised to be #8. Two constants - Kentucky and UNC.  What did Marquette, UCLA and Indiana have that Duke, MSU, Kansas, 'Nova, Gonzaga and Virginia didn't? Al McGuire, John Wooden and Bob Knight.  What do the "new elite" have now that Marquette, UCLA and IU don't? K, Izzo, Self, Wright, Few and Bennett.

"It" coaches are hard to find. Rick had some "it" but he wasn't ready. Buzz could be an "it" guy if he stays in one place long enough. Nobody else we've hired has shown that potential. "Power 6" Conference, TV deals, facilities, $ to spend, etc., are great - but without the "it" guy maybe one poster's hopes (Providence + with some really cool history) is our fate.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 01:40:49 PM »

I know that some of the young (and not so young) Scoopers who weren't around for the Al era tire of hearing about the "good old days". They say things have changed (they always do) but much has remained the same. There were 5 elite programs during Al's era - Marquette, UCLA, N Carolina, Kentucky and Indiana. There are 7 today - N Car, KY, Duke, Michigan St, Kansas, Villanova and Gonzaga. Virginia is poised to be #8. Two constants - Kentucky and UNC.  What did Marquette, UCLA and Indiana have that Duke, MSU, Kansas, 'Nova, Gonzaga and Virginia didn't? Al McGuire, John Wooden and Bob Knight.  What do the "new elite" have now that Marquette, UCLA and IU don't? K, Izzo, Self, Wright, Few and Bennett.

"It" coaches are hard to find. Rick had some "it" but he wasn't ready. Buzz could be an "it" guy if he stays in one place long enough. Nobody else we've hired has shown that potential. "Power 6" Conference, TV deals, facilities, $ to spend, etc., are great - but without the "it" guy maybe one poster's hopes (Providence + with some really cool history) is our fate.

Lenny, very good points.  Al had Jay Feinberg in New York feeding the MU program, then Jim Chones came on board, and he really lifted the program to new heights,
then Chicago came on board with Bo Ellis.  It is to bad the money then is not the same as now.  Al was all about the money.  He would have never left, then another
5 good years with Mark  Aquirre, Terry Cummings, Scooter and Rodney McCray.  It would not have mattered what the changing of the landscape did if Al was here. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »

We would have stayed elite, if we hired Denny Crum, who was interested, that would have put us into the category of teams that were elite beyond just one coach. I consider that mistake among the three big strategic mistakes of MU history.
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
Feels like yesterday.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »
Cheeks., I'll have to look for that spot.  Glad everyone enjoyed.  While we can all get the Al Generation love on Scoop, what amazes me is that some of the most ardent Scoopers were Piano Man Era.  Not only did hoops suck, so did the university admin. 

High expectations connect us through great times.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:42:19 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
We would have stayed elite, if we hired Denny Crum, who was interested, that would have put us into the category of teams that were elite beyond just one coach. I consider that mistake among the three big strategic mistakes of MU history.
Yep.  Hank was a real gentleman and a good X’s and O’s guy, but he simply just did not have “it” at all.  A slow slide from Hank to a Rick who was not ready for prime time yet to, ugh, the Piano Man.  Dukiet was good, though, for piano entertainment at those MU Minutemen gatherings.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:59:58 PM by Nukem2 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »

What are the other 2?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 04:34:30 PM »
What are the other 2?
Discontinued Football
Gave up Medical School
            ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »

j

Very good post and insight.  You are right “it” coaches are hard to find.  We may never have one again, unfortunately.  We are in a difficult position, as are many other programs,  of having to hope that our coach can develop into something special and then want to stay once he does.  Here’s hoping for another miracle! 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »
'It' coaches are good coaches who stay.     Current 'It' coaches.    Izzo, K, Jay, Roy, Cal, Self (ish?)      K and Jay both had slow starts at their current teams, requiring years of patience before they became 'it'.    Izzo followed Heathcote.      Cal and Self made their bones before landing.    Roy was inevitable at UNC.     350 other schools are looking for 'it'.    Some know they will never find or keep 'it'.    They know they are low majors and if a coach appears to have 'it', they will be moving on.     There is just not a supply to keep up with demand.     See:   UCLA, SJU.    Was Chris Beard 'it' 5 years ago?

All a long way of saying that Wojo is currently the best chance MU has of being elite anytime in the next 10 years.      I am not saying it is impossible that if he were fired that MU would land the unicorn coach that will transform the program and stay.    I'm saying that it is extremely unlikely.    There just aren't that many out there.   But if, and it is a huge if, the 19-20 season is actually better than 18-19, and Wojo is able to land a strong 20 class, maybe.......

And it would damned foolish to fire a coach who won 84 games in years 2-5 of his career.   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:41:12 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Discontinued Football
Gave up Medical School

Yep. Short-sighted decisions that saved us money for a few years, but will cost us much more for decades....

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
What exactly did dropping football cost Marquette?  The university has a healthy enrollment, a good endowment, a successful basketball program, etc.  I understand the medical college thing, but the football thing?  It would have been a second class program and a drain on resources - playing in the AAC or the MAC at best.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
Discontinued Football
Gave up Medical School

I know.  I was there for both of them.  Ouch squared!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
What exactly did dropping football cost Marquette?  The university has a healthy enrollment, a good endowment, a successful basketball program, etc.  I understand the medical college thing, but the football thing?  It would have been a second class program and a drain on resources - playing in the AAC or the MAC at best.
Yeah, football was not a good fit for this urban university.  There was little interest and was a cash drag which would only have gotten larger.  Keeping FB would have ultimately kept MU at a low mid-major level and BB program would have suffered and never gotten to the levels it has achieved over the decades. This has always been Packer and Badger country for FB.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
Yeah, football was not a good fit for this urban university.  There was little interest and was a cash drag which would only have gotten larger.  Keeping FB would have ultimately kept MU at a low mid-major level and BB program would have suffered and never gotten to the levels it has achieved over the decades. This has always been Packer and Badger country for FB.

The only comparable example is BC having football right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 03:55:05 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  MU did not have an on campus stadium and it’s urban campus had no room for one.  Just a bad fit with administrations that were not at all FB oriented.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »

And is one of 2 D1 programs, and the only P5 program in New England. And they’re not very successful.

Again where do you think Marquette football would be right now if they kept it?  What conference would we be members of? 

Easy to Monday morning quarterback that decision but I think it worked out great.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »
And is one of 2 D1 programs, and the only P5 program in New England. And they’re not very successful.

Again where do you think Marquette football would be right now if they kept it?  What conference would we be members of? 

Easy to Monday morning quarterback that decision but I think it worked out great.

I think we'd be awful. Just was trying to think of urban private programs and while nova GTown and Butler are D1 they're that second division whatever it's called so I wanted to check if there were any besides BC that kept Football
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »

no schnit hermie!  did not know denny was a potential-wow!  where would he have fit in?  MU must have felt obligated to hank, then rick.  looking back at denny's career between 1976-1986, he was pretty much a regular in the ncaa dance, sweet 16, a couple of final 4's and 2 rings.  would have been hard to pull him away in the middle of that run.  could it have been about the year 2000? 

can never get enough of these great memories doc-thanks!

on another note, reading MU's own joe declan moran's book, "goin' uptown".  forward by rick majerus.  ohhh sooo damn close.  joe was the only one given al's blessing to write his biography-"you can call me al"  there were a few other bigger names, frank deford, george reedy(another MU guy) who were shunned or not really encouraged if you will.  a couple of great reads!  if you call or contact joe thru his blog or email, he would gladly sign them for you.  his story is a good one too!
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »
The football thing is a good question. In terms of an urban private university keeping football, it could have dragged our hoops down to oblivion...or it could have turned out like Georgetown or Nova with little impact on hoops but football playing at a lower level than other sports...or it could have gone the way of BC or Northwestern, both sitting in P5 conferences.

For now - and hopefully the foreseeable future - the BE has managed to keep pace with the P5 conferences in terms of exposure, recruiting and NCAA bids. I hope it stays that way forever, but you never know. A football program might have dragged us down...or it might have given us the kind of insurance that BC and NW have.

Bottom line: nobody knows for sure.

The medical school thing is far more clear. There was a short period where it was a drain, but NIH research funding (and later, funding by big Pharma and device companies) has helped to turn medical schools into the most prestigious and revenue-generating parts of many major universities.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:49:22 PM by GooooMarquette »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 11:56:52 AM »
Medical school:    Mistake
Football:   Meh.    As mentioned elsewhere, the list of successful football programs at private, urban universities is remarkably small.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 07:50:36 PM »
Great video!  Hadn't seen it before.  Thanks for posting.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
Medical school:    Mistake
Football:   Meh.    As mentioned elsewhere, the list of successful football programs at private, urban universities is remarkably small.
MU had a very good and dynamic football team in 1936. Made the Cotton Bowl . Showed the potential was there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXoX6zbQ9ZI
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 11:26:35 PM »
MU had a very good and dynamic football team in 1936. Made the Cotton Bowl . Showed the potential was there.

That's ridiculous. Using 1936 as a benchmark for what might have been? Come on, you can do better than that.

Boston College played in the 1939 Cotton Bowl. Followed that with the Sugar & Orange in the following 3 seasons. Did that prove the potential was there?

Nah, I'd say the next 40 years where they didn't get invited to a single bowl was a better indicator of the potential. Now they only get into bowls because there are 40 of them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 11:49:33 PM »

Please tell me this post is a joke

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 05:52:04 AM »

Really enjoyed that video, thanks for posting. MU should not have a football team.