Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: State of #MUBB  (Read 19198 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: State of #MUBB
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2019, 01:02:43 AM »
Mine on this issue a priest. I tend to trust them.

I don't understand what you were trying to say here
Maigh Eo for Sam

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2019, 07:11:29 AM »
I liked the presser with Wojo and Scholl. I think the Wojo extension is a good thing for Marquette basketball.   He is growing each year in ability, and in developing recruiting strategies that fit what he believes we need.   He is getting better and better, and deserves support from the fan base - we all want to win, as he and the players do.

In 19/20, if he turns this team into a tough, winning team after the loss of the Hausers, that will be a huge accomplishment.    I’m as impatient a fan as most, but I think we are, as Scholl says, on the right  trajectory.   Scholl laid out the three pillars that are important to Marquette basketball, and MU in general: on the court, off the court, student/community.   You can see why they are thrilled with Wojo.   And the basketball pillar is getting stronger through experience and knowledge. 

Let’s Go Marquette!   

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »
I don't understand what you were trying to say here

That, like you, I have a source (that confirmed what happened) and I have a very strong reason to trust him.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2019, 12:05:35 PM »
Is your hope for Wojo to be fired, or for Marquette to be successful?

My hope is Wojo rises to the challenge of losing Sam and Joey and leads MU to its best season since 2013. My hope is for a Big East championship. My hope is for a 3rd NCAA bid in 4 years. My hope is for another Sweet 16 appearance. My hope is for a Class of 2020 that ranks in the Top 10. My hope is that MU joins Villanova as a conference and national power.

Wojo is the current coach of the program. I get it if you're skeptical he's the right guy for the job. But I don't see how hoping for him to be fired -- under any conditions or circumstances -- is good for the program, now or for the long term.

Why does this matter so much? A bunch of subjective rankings?  Recruiting rankings exist to sell subscriptions to websites.

Recruiting rankings are the last thing any rational fan should consider when determine a coach’s success. Bryce Drew ring a bell? Steve Alford? Texas Tech was 33 and 39 under Beard. Better fire him! Virginia was #14...in the ACC. And people here want Tony Bennett. SMH.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
That, like you, I have a source (that confirmed what happened) and I have a very strong reason to trust him.

My apologies I took your post to be contrarian. got it
Maigh Eo for Sam

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »
Agreed, Al only recruited 1 or 2 key players ever year, never would have been in the Top 10 in recruiting but was always in the Top 10 as a team.  Yes, 2019-20 is important since they lose so much.  Need at least 2 bigs, 1 power or 1 wing.  Has the guard with Torrence to replace Howard.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »
My apologies I took your post to be contrarian. got it

No problem. I realize my was worded poorly to the particular post of yours to which I responded.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »
I liked the presser with Wojo and Scholl. I think the Wojo extension is a good thing for Marquette basketball.   He is growing each year in ability, and in developing recruiting strategies that fit what he believes we need.   He is getting better and better, and deserves support from the fan base - we all want to win, as he and the players do.

In 19/20, if he turns this team into a tough, winning team after the loss of the Hausers, that will be a huge accomplishment.    I’m as impatient a fan as most, but I think we are, as Scholl says, on the right  trajectory.   Scholl laid out the three pillars that are important to Marquette basketball, and MU in general: on the court, off the court, student/community.   You can see why they are thrilled with Wojo.   And the basketball pillar is getting stronger through experience and knowledge. 

Let’s Go Marquette!

Very well-stated.
I most agree with your analysis of Wojo’s direst-need-based recruiting. How soon people forget what a bad shooting team we were at the end of the Buzz years. Wojo focused on getting some really skilled shooters on board like Carlino, Katin, Rowsey etc. When it was apparent the team was then stacked too much in favor in skills and shooting and not enough toughness and defense, he grabbed Greg, Jamal, Ed, and Theo. With the loss of the Hausers, the pendulum has again swung away from shooting, so I hope Coach is hot on the trail for another sharpshooter, as Markus can’t be expected to do it all.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
Why does this matter so much? A bunch of subjective rankings?  Recruiting rankings exist to sell subscriptions to websites.

Recruiting rankings are the last thing any rational fan should consider when determine a coach’s success. Bryce Drew ring a bell? Steve Alford? Texas Tech was 33 and 39 under Beard. Better fire him! Virginia was #14...in the ACC. And people here want Tony Bennett. SMH.

Agree 100% that getting the right players is more important than the class ranking. It just so happens we've offered a bunch of 2020 recruits who are also highly ranked:

Isaiah Jackson (ranked #19 by Rivals)
Marjon Beauchamp (#24)
Nimari Burnett (#25)
Cam'ron Fletcher (#28)
Dalen Terry (#31)
Dawson Garcia (#34)
Caleb Love (#38)
Dain Dainja (#40)
Ethan Morton (#43)
Jalen Clark (#56)
Bryce Thompson (#58)
DJ Steward (#60)
Jamari Sibley (#61)
Isaiah Cottrell (#68)
Lynn Greer III (#72)
Justin Lewis (#84)
Reece Beekman (#88)

If we land some of our top targets, chances are we'll have a top-ranked class, as well.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words