[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP John Havlicek  (Read 1007 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
Re: RIP John Havlicek
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 10:07:28 AM »
I was a big Knicks fan as a kid, so naturally I "hated" Havlicek the same way any fan "hates" an opposing player.

But I always knew he was great, and as I got older I respected the hell out of him.

I've heard he was a pretty classy guy, too, but I don't know him.

He lived a good, interesting, celebrated life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »
The last time the Bucks were in the NBA finals was 73-74 ...against the Celtics. That was a series for the ages.

I sat in awe of Havlicek  and Kareem almost single handedly will their respective teams in the 74 Finals  ....an usher friend snuck us into the Arena for free as it was sold out.  Every possession....We knew the ball was going to each of them but despite double and triple teams each would score. ..... time after time, back and forth .  The sky hook remains for me as the prettiest shot in basketball.

Celtics beat my Bucks 4-3 (two games went to OT, and five times the ROAD team won)....Havlicek willed his team to the championship. Decades later we'd marvel at Jordans ability to do the same ...John had just as strong a sheer will to win. He is a close second to Jordan in this category

As the Celtics are next for the Bucks in 2019 I'd love  to see the replay of 74 Bucks/Celtics
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »
I went to one of the Milwaukee games in the '74 series, but can't recall which one.

The game I remember most was Game 6, when Kareem won it in Boston with a sky hook at the buzzer. An instant classic if ever there was one. Kareem with 34 and the game-winner, Havlicek with 36 in the loss....

RIP Hondo.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
He could outrun and out-stamina everyone else.

Remember reading way back when that his standing pulse rate was in the mid-40s.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »
saw him play many times.  the guy was money and scared the schnit out of me every time he got the ball.  one of the best pure outside shooters in the game-RIP johnny!!

pre-3 point line-best shooters i recall without looking up stats-

john halicek
   jerry west
   jon mcglocklin
   wally "jack knife jumper" jones
   "downtown" freddy brown-milwaukee's own
don't...don't don't don't don't

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:12:14 PM »
saw him play many times.  the guy was money and scared the schnit out of me every time he got the ball.  one of the best pure outside shooters in the game-RIP johnny!!

pre-3 point line-best shooters i recall without looking up stats-

john halicek
   jerry west
   jon mcglocklin
   wally "jack knife jumper" jones
   "downtown" freddy brown-milwaukee's own

Pete Maravich
Ludum habemus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:12:16 PM »
Walt Frazier.

Clyde was a career 49% shooter even though he mostly took mid-range jumpers. Great clutch player, too. One of the best defensive guards ever. And he was the embodiment of cool. All I wanted for my birthday was a pair of Puma Clydes. When I didn't get 'em, I whine for most of the next year so I'd get 'em for sure ... and I did. (Who says whining doesn't pay?) The famous MU team photo from 1977? Clyde dressed like that every day!

Guys like Maravich, West and Earl Monroe would have added 5+ points to their career averages if there was a 3-point line. Hell, Maravich might have added 10 ... guy never saw a shot he didn't like (and take).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson