[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74361 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #400 on: May 08, 2019, 08:30:36 AM »
I was thinking this with Jayce Johnson as well. I'm not very imaginative, but I have trouble picturing what next year's team and playing style looks like if he's getting the minutes he's probably demanding, given the transfer options available to him. I don't think he'd be coming to be part of a Ed-Theo-Jayce three headed monster.

I’ve never seen Ed shoot any 12-15footers, but maybe we are all too quick to judge him based on how he looks sometimes when he puts the ball up inside. Jerome Whitehead’s semifinal game winner vs UNCC in ‘77 looked pretty funky too if I remember. When you’re undersized playing the 5, your close-range contested shots are gonna look a little weird. Does his mid-range shot look as funky? Somebody remind me if I’m forgetting.  All I’m saying is, I’d bet Ed is capable of being a very solid 4. Theo is more foul prone than Ed, so Jayce is a crucial acquisition at the 5.

The other explanation as to why Jayce would come here, but possibly sacrifice minutes....maybe he wants to win.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #401 on: May 08, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »
Does his mid-range shot look as funky? Somebody remind me if I’m forgetting.

I'd guess most of us are forgetting because he took very few midrange shots.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #402 on: May 08, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
Yes—very funky.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #403 on: May 09, 2019, 08:02:57 AM »
I remember Morrow taking 2 shots from more than 8 feet out. Both were bricks. Maybe he took more and made a few; I just don't remember them. He had enough trouble hitting anything that wasn't a dunk. But he still was a valuable role player last season, and I think he will be so again. Almost any team in the country would take an unselfish rebounding machine who plays defense and does the other dirty work.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
Every basketball team needs guys who can defend and rebound inside. We've got 3 good ones in Theo, Ed and Jayce.

Maybe Ed can expand his mid-range game. But I'm not sure that's even necessary. If our big guys can improve in the post and pick-and-roll, that could be plenty. We'll probably see a fair share of 4-out-1-in -- but maybe double post offense, as well. How many opponents can defend both a big forward in Ed and a 6-9 or 7-0 center in Theo or Jayce?

Back to the defense and rebounding, that's also key to transition offense. Adding Jayce, plus Greg and Koby, could take our defense into Top 25 territory -- and really amp up our running game. I'm excited to see how it comes together.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #405 on: May 11, 2019, 07:51:54 AM »
Can anyone explicitly describe why Ed will need to take jump shots for us to do well with him playing the 4? I think we are getting pretty far into what we are used to with the team over the last several seasons and forgetting some perspective. Some of the great Uconn teams that I grew up watching played multiple center-type players alongside outside sharpshooter and slashers. If you gain enough offensive rebounds, defense, etc by adding Ed at the 4, you can survive/thrive the lack of jump shots he provides. Further, you want to get the best players on the court - why should we play a worse player than Ed at the 4 simply because they have a jump shot?

I mean, seriously, even if Ed improves his jump shot, how often do we want him to be making his own offense as opposed to Sacar, Koby, Markus, or even Brendan or others? IMO we are debating over something that even if it improves, it's still kind of a moot point, no?

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #406 on: May 11, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
I am thinking that Howard and McEwen are going to be like Lilliard and McCollum of Portland.Two very good guards can take you a long way.Also Elliott does many things well on the basketball court

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #407 on: May 13, 2019, 10:05:22 AM »
Can anyone explicitly describe why Ed will need to take jump shots for us to do well with him playing the 4? I think we are getting pretty far into what we are used to with the team over the last several seasons and forgetting some perspective. Some of the great Uconn teams that I grew up watching played multiple center-type players alongside outside sharpshooter and slashers. If you gain enough offensive rebounds, defense, etc by adding Ed at the 4, you can survive/thrive the lack of jump shots he provides. Further, you want to get the best players on the court - why should we play a worse player than Ed at the 4 simply because they have a jump shot?

I mean, seriously, even if Ed improves his jump shot, how often do we want him to be making his own offense as opposed to Sacar, Koby, Markus, or even Brendan or others? IMO we are debating over something that even if it improves, it's still kind of a moot point, no?
It is highly unlikely IMO that he is asked to take many jump shots, that's just not his game.  I'm far more concerned about his ability on the defensive end trying to guard a 4.  I didn't think he guarded very well in space last year, and really can't see him being effective guarding a stretch 4.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #408 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
It is highly unlikely IMO that he is asked to take many jump shots, that's just not his game.  I'm far more concerned about his ability on the defensive end trying to guard a 4.  I didn't think he guarded very well in space last year, and really can't see him being effective guarding a stretch 4.

Agree in general, because I really don't think Morrow will play much 4, but there aren't many legit, truly dangerous "stretch 4's" out there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson