[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Now What  (Read 16315 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Now What
« on: April 22, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »
Let's start by assuming that the roster we have now largely is the roster we start the season with in early November. What do we hard-core Marquette fans expect from the 2019-2020 Warriors.

With apologies to Bama and other quant geeks, this is a qualitative assessment of what we can reasonably expect come November 1. So here goes with mine:

Team -- Assuming 28 games next year, we'll go 18-10 to 20-8 depending on the final make-up of our pre-conference schedule. At 19-9, we may be a bubble team depending on who we lose/win against. At 20-8 or better we're clearly in the NCAA (Had we not lost the Brothers Hauser, I would have expected 23-5). At worse than 19-9, we're part of the Not Invited Tournament!

Guards -- Huge strength next year, unchanged from expectation. If Symar Torrance (sp) reclassifies, the strength of our team. Expect a three guard line-up with Sacar starting but seeing lots and lots of Greg Elliott. Sacar needs to find consistency in his shot. If he does, he'll be deadly. Not sure what to make yet of Kobe's shooting ability but if can drive the basket effectively and, either score or kick out, we'll be in great shape.

Center -- Unchanged from a year ago. Assuming Theo and Ed can control their fouls and Theo discovers offense, this could be a HUGE benefit and replace some of the lost scoring due to the Brother Hauser leaving. To do better than 20-8 requires a significant offensive contribution from Theo (meaning about 8 to 10 points a game).

Forward(s) -- Brendan Bailey needs to step up and find his shot. Assuming he does, the transition from one Brothers Hauser to Bailey would be seamless. I sometimes think Bailey might have beaten out the Baby Hauser anyway, even if the Baby Hauser had stayed. Interesting key here is whether Jamal Cain is so discouraged from this year that he cannot contribute as a power forward. That's the one concern I have, particularly when we start looking for depth. Also will be interesting to see if Ike Eke comes back and, if so, what he can add to the team.

Depth -- Based on what's coming back, this is the weak spot of the team. Hopefully, this is where a grad transfer or a late signing makes a difference.

Coaching -- Wojo's seat is hotter than hell. And it will get hotter yet if either the September recruiting period is a bust or if we get off to a slow start. If we get a Gavitt Game, we better win it. And, we damn well better beat Wisconsin. The question with coaching is that if our situation really is the dumpster fire it seems to be, how long with Stan stick around? The key issue is whether Wojo can pull in the wagons with this team and rally them in an "us versus the world" attitude. It's also important to communicate to Markus that his legacy must be more than a big-time scorer. That's what distinguishes a good Golden Eagle from a Warrior!

We shall see.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Now What
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Im looking for 20 wins regular season. Hopefully they can snag a couple in the BE tournament or NCAA. If we go to the NIT I want Wojo out. I can live with another first round exit in the NCAA if it happens considering we lost two starters.
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
20 wins will be a stretch. Bailey does not replace Sam and or Joey. We lost 2 guys who could rebound, were 6'8" plus, could shoot 40% from three land, and about 90% FT's. Those types are few and far between. We will be hurting next year. Wojo's ass better be picking up some big time talent, and I hope he does, but not too confident that he will.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
20 wins will be a stretch. Bailey does not replace Sam and or Joey. We lost 2 guys who could rebound, were 6'8" plus, could shoot 40% from three land, and about 90% FT's. Those types are few and far between. We will be hurting next year. Wojo's ass better be picking up some big time talent, and I hope he does, but not too confident that he will.

90% from Joey?  He was a brick layer second half of tge season n his percentage dropped hard.  Stop trying to make Joey something he was not, he shot a good percentage from 3, everything else he was rather bad at.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
Losing the Hausers obviously helps defensively and apparently will help with team chemistry. We'll be able to play in transition again, which is something that completely disappeared with our plodding lineup last year. I wasn't buying into the preseason top 10 stuff because of how broken the team looked at the end of the year. I expect we'll ranked in the 15-25 range most of the year. We'll challenge for the Big East title. We'll have disappointing showings in the conference tourney and the big dance, then have another torturously long offseason.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »
Losing the Hausers obviously helps defensively and apparently will help with team chemistry. We'll be able to play in transition again, which is something that completely disappeared with our plodding lineup last year. I wasn't buying into the preseason top 10 stuff because of how broken the team looked at the end of the year. I expect we'll ranked in the 15-25 range most of the year. We'll challenge for the Big East title. We'll have disappointing showings in the conference tourney and the big dance, then have another torturously long offseason.

I have only read bits and pieces of all the Hauser threads, but what is the take that team chemistry will improve all about?  We're the Hausers really bad teammates / not liked by the rest of the guys?  That just seems so hard to believe based on their personalities and demeanor.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
I have only read bits and pieces of all the Hauser threads, but what is the take that team chemistry will improve all about?  We're the Hausers really bad teammates / not liked by the rest of the guys?  That just seems so hard to believe based on their personalities and demeanor.

Whatever it was reached a boiling point and they left. My assumption is that team chemistry will improve by default. If it is the same or gets worse, then this team will have a losing record and we'll be looking for a new coach.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »

You think team chemistry would have been better if we kept two players that didn't want to be at MU in the starting lineup? Do you think they became miserable at the exact instant they declared to transfer, or perhaps maybe it started before that...?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
Honestly, I don't think expectations (in terms of what the team needs to deliver) change from what they were prior to the Hauser exodus. The likelihood of achieving those expectations certainly goes way down but the expectations don't change.

Most likely occurrence for me is a middle of the pack Big East finish and us being on the right side of #TeamBubbleWatch once again. I think the defense ends up being a top 30 KenPom D and the offense ends up somewhere around Top 50 IF Markus stays healthy all season.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
You think team chemistry would have been better if we kept two players that didn't want to be at MU in the starting lineup? Do you think they became miserable at the exact instant they declared to transfer, or perhaps maybe it started before that...?

I don't have the answers. 

But I watched every single second of Marquette basketball this past season, and every second of every game Sam Hauser has ever played in an MU uniform, and it is very hard for me to pin him as a selfish player or a locker room problem. But maybe he was a completely different guy behind closed doors.  I obviously am not around these guys personally so I have limited knowledge of how team chemistry was beyond what I can see watching games on TV and a handful in person. 

I could see Joey being a bit frustrated, but he was freshman that frankly should have had a shorter leash than he did, so hard to understand why he would be too upset.

Just mainly curious if there has been some sort of consensus established as to what the problem was.  I have not religiously followed this board since the news broke a week ago. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »
90% from Joey?  He was a brick layer second half of tge season n his percentage dropped hard.  Stop trying to make Joey something he was not, he shot a good percentage from 3, everything else he was rather bad at.

He was a freshman..

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
I will guarantee you that we’ll not play in only 28 games. What a bonkers way to start off a post.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 04:14:52 PM »
Let's start by assuming that the roster we have now largely is the roster we start the season with in early November. What do we hard-core Marquette fans expect from the 2019-2020 Warriors.

With apologies to Bama and other quant geeks, this is a qualitative assessment of what we can reasonably expect come November 1. So here goes with mine:

Team -- Assuming 28 games next year, we'll go 18-10 to 20-8 depending on the final make-up of our pre-conference schedule. At 19-9, we may be a bubble team depending on who we lose/win against. At 20-8 or better we're clearly in the NCAA (Had we not lost the Brothers Hauser, I would have expected 23-5). At worse than 19-9, we're part of the Not Invited Tournament!

Guards -- Huge strength next year, unchanged from expectation. If Symar Torrance (sp) reclassifies, the strength of our team. Expect a three guard line-up with Sacar starting but seeing lots and lots of Greg Elliott. Sacar needs to find consistency in his shot. If he does, he'll be deadly. Not sure what to make yet of Kobe's shooting ability but if can drive the basket effectively and, either score or kick out, we'll be in great shape.

Center -- Unchanged from a year ago. Assuming Theo and Ed can control their fouls and Theo discovers offense, this could be a HUGE benefit and replace some of the lost scoring due to the Brother Hauser leaving. To do better than 20-8 requires a significant offensive contribution from Theo (meaning about 8 to 10 points a game).

Forward(s) -- Brendan Bailey needs to step up and find his shot. Assuming he does, the transition from one Brothers Hauser to Bailey would be seamless. I sometimes think Bailey might have beaten out the Baby Hauser anyway, even if the Baby Hauser had stayed. Interesting key here is whether Jamal Cain is so discouraged from this year that he cannot contribute as a power forward. That's the one concern I have, particularly when we start looking for depth. Also will be interesting to see if Ike Eke comes back and, if so, what he can add to the team.

Depth -- Based on what's coming back, this is the weak spot of the team. Hopefully, this is where a grad transfer or a late signing makes a difference.

Coaching -- Wojo's seat is hotter than hell. And it will get hotter yet if either the September recruiting period is a bust or if we get off to a slow start. If we get a Gavitt Game, we better win it. And, we damn well better beat Wisconsin. The question with coaching is that if our situation really is the dumpster fire it seems to be, how long with Stan stick around? The key issue is whether Wojo can pull in the wagons with this team and rally them in an "us versus the world" attitude. It's also important to communicate to Markus that his legacy must be more than a big-time scorer. That's what distinguishes a good Golden Eagle from a Warrior!

We shall see.

They are going to have to play differently next year...and yes, I think even before the Hausers departure, they were going to be able to drive the ball more simply by Greg coming back and adding Koby. That's what was going to make next years team so salivatingly good...when they did drive, and the defense collapsed, you could kick it out to one of 3 $$ options from 3...Markus, Sam or Joey. That's what was going to make the drive so effective, being able to spread the floor AND having a multitude of drivers.

That all changes next year now. You still have the drivers, but what you don't have is the #1 thing that makes driving easier..being able to spread the floor with long range snipers. Now the defense can collapse and who exactly do you kick it out to that you feel confident in(besides Markus) that will knock it down like Sam and Joey did?? HUGE HUGE problem next year now.

Further, driving to the hole is obviously good, getting FTA is good, but do nothing for you if you don't knock them down.

Looking ahead...in the last two minutes of a tight game, who exactly do you feel confident in going to the FT line to knock down big FT's besides Markus?? Certainly not Sacar, not Jamal, Koby wasn't a great FT shooter at Utah State. Greg isn't great. This could be a major problem as well.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
He was a freshman..

Bingo. Right answer. One of the better Freshman forwards we have had in recent history.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »
Bingo. Right answer. One of the better Freshman forwards we have had in recent history.
Low bar.  Seriously.   Freshman forwards other than Sam the last 10 years that amounted to anything.   Henry, Burton and really nothing else to brag about under either Buzz or Wojo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »

We shall see.

Guru

I hope the replacement guys end up being as good as the Hausers, but who is going to back them up?
5-Theo, Ed , Ike( if Healthy)
3-4 Brendan, Jamal, Sacar
1-2 Markus, Greg, Koby

Dexter should redshirt and only play in event of emergency

Target a couple of Pogo Stick grad transfers

Everyone should be happy with their role
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »

We shall see.

28 games???

18 conference games

12 or 13 non con.

It's 30 or 31. Plus at least 1 guaranteed post season game.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
Losing the Hausers obviously....will help with team chemistry.

This is a false narrative. The Hausers were NOT a negative influence in the locker room. They are still buds with the guys.

They were neither ring leaders of the insurrection nor were they a drain on team morale.

People need to stop coming to conclusions such as this because it is simply not true.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 11:48:26 AM »
This is a false narrative. The Hausers were NOT a negative influence in the locker room. They are still buds with the guys.

They were neither ring leaders of the insurrection nor were they a drain on team morale.

People need to stop coming to conclusions such as this because it is simply not true.
I am sure people will stop coming to conclusions like this as soon as you (and others who claim to know something) stop beating around the bush and tell us what you know.  Otherwise, you (and others) are only adding fuel to the fire by making these vague statements. 

In other words, tell us what you know!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 11:51:17 AM »
Low bar.  Seriously.   Freshman forwards other than Sam the last 10 years that amounted to anything.   Henry, Burton and really nothing else to brag about under either Buzz or Wojo.

Not a low bar.

Since 10 years is an artificial number I went back to Novak's first year. Marquette has had solid production from the 3-5: Novak, Amoroso, Matthews, Hayward, Gardner, Mayo, Burton, Johnson, Fischer, Ellenson, Cheatham, Hauser, Cain, John, Hauser, Bailey.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »
I am sure people will stop coming to conclusions like this as soon as you (and others who claim to know something) stop beating around the bush and tell us what you know.  Otherwise, you (and others) are only adding fuel to the fire by making these vague statements. 

In other words, tell us what you know!

Let's just say that without Stan Johnson that locker room would be half empty right now.

This has never been about the Hausers vs Markus or any of the other things written about playing time, shots, baby blues vs gold. This has been about Wojo.

And the Hausers are far from the only ones fed up. Without Stan there are several more empty lockers today.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »

Then who was the ringleader of the insurrection?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
Let's just say that without Stan Johnson that locker room would be half empty right now.

This has never been about the Hausers vs Markus or any of the other things written about playing time, shots, baby blues vs gold. This has been about Wojo.

And the Hausers are far from the only ones fed up. Without Stan there are several more empty lockers today.

So, an associate head coach, that still supports Wojo, did what he's supposed to do and help calm folks down.

Kudos Stan!  Thanks for having Wojo's back!

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
Then who was the ringleader of the insurrection?

DAVE ! ! !

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »

It's almost as if part of an assistant coach's job in every sport at every level is to play good cop with the players.
Revolutionary stuff.

feedback