[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OH HELL YEAH!  (Read 30140 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: OH HELL YEAH!
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »
Most of his FTs were at the end of the game.  Those matta.

Is this numbers driven or memory driven?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »
Just what it is.  Sam was mostly on the perimeter.  His FTs mostly came down the stretch.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »
I remember when Odartey Blankson quit and Cordell Henry graduated in 2002. I thought all was lost for a talented MU team that flamed out in Round 1.

But like all things in life, one door closes and another door opens. Keep the faith.
We Are Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2019, 08:17:57 PM »

He made it up.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »
Just what it is.  Sam was mostly on the perimeter.  His FTs mostly came down the stretch.

I ask because I don't remember Sam shooting FTs. Doesn't stand out. But now I see why it doesn't.

Sam didn't shoot a FT in 1/3 of our games. He shot a total of 20 FTs in February and March.

#FTsNoMatta

Sam didn't get to the line much. That matters.

As pointed out here Sam didn't get to the line much. In fact, looking at the numbers, it's shocking how rare it was for Sam to shoot FTs.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
I mentioned last week that not everyone is upset by the departures based on what the team and their student peers were saying.  Not that they didn’t like the Hausers, but they have moved on and are ready to accept who they are as a team.  People that want to be there and are bought into the team and staff. 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »

I think you're misremembering.  I looked up the play-by-play for all conference games (18 regular + 2 BET) to see when his final FTs of the game were attempted.

I don't know what you define as "Down the Stretch", but lets say for argument's sake that it's the final two minutes of the game. 

There were only 4 games where Sam attempted FTs down the stretch.

Incredibly, there were 8 games where Sam didn't attempt any free throws at all the entire second half.

So let's double the "down the stretch" time to include the last four minutes--it's still only 8 of 20 conference games where he scored down the stretch.

@ Seton Hall:  Last FT taken w/11:24 to go
Xavier:  No 2H FTs
@CU: No 2H (or OT) FTs
Seton Hall: Last FTs w/0:01
@Georgetown: Last FTs w/0:02
Providence:  Last FTs w/3:58
DePaul: Last FTs w/0:48
@Xavier: Last FTS at 7:22
@Butler: Last FTs w/3:24
St. Johns: Last FTs w/11:55
Villanova: No 2h FTs
@DePaul: Last FTs w/6:50
Butler: Last FTs w/1:23
@PC: No 2H FTs
@Villanova: No 2H FTs
Creighton: No 2H FTs
@Seton Hall: No 2H FTs
Georgetown: Last FTs w/2:30
St. Johns (BET): No 2nd half FTs
Seton Hall (BET): Last FTs w/3:53

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
It's hard to get many FTs when you just stand outside the 3-point line.

Sam occasionally went to the post with good results, but just as often he'd get down there, get the ball, and then kick it back out rather than take a shot or make a move. I would yell at the TV screen for him to shoot!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »
Interesting that in 5 of Mus last 7 games that sam did not shoot a single second half FT.  Yet some are putting the swoon solely on Markus.  The housers stuuunk the last 7
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
I ask because I don't remember Sam shooting FTs. Doesn't stand out. But now I see why it doesn't.

Sam didn't shoot a FT in 1/3 of our games. He shot a total of 20 FTs in February and March.

As pointed out here Sam didn't get to the line much. In fact, looking at the numbers, it's shocking how rare it was for Sam to shoot FTs.

Absolutely! It is so much more important to be able to draw fouls than to shoot free throws well unless you are really bad at the line like Happ.

Markus was the 5th best at drawing fouls in the country at 7.2% while Sam was just 3% because neither jumpers or backing around for a turnaround leads to many fouls. For basic estimates let's say every 2 ft the player took was one possession and the team would have averaged one point per possession if something else happened (these assumptions are almost exactly average).

Howard's 227 of 255 was 89% but gave Marquette 99 more points than they would have scored otherwise.

Sam's 73 of 79 was 92% but only gave Marquette 39 more points than they would have scored.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM by auburnmarquette »
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »
Interesting that in 5 of Mus last 7 games that sam did not shoot a single second half FT.  Yet some are putting the swoon solely on Markus.  The housers stuuunk the last 7

I really do think value add ties all the numbers into one stat, and here is my take on the 3:

Yes, Joey was terrible the last several weeks. He was one of the top few hundred players of 4000 total college players (top 10% for sure) and he was not one of the best 1000 players in the country try after that. If Bailey and Cain took all his minutes MU would have won all the close games they lost of those last 7 if Joey had not played.

Markus was the 6th best player until he landed on the wrist Feb 27, and fell to 22nd after that because he played like a first team all conference player as opposed to a first team all American until Feb 27 - but still awesome.

Sam actually finished strong overall and actually moved up several spots to 28th for the season so you can't put blame him or Markus.

If Wojo could be blamed for anything it would be not benching Joey - but I can't imagine the haters on the boards if that happened and then they left.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:11:20 PM by auburnmarquette »
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »

I think MU is gonna be waaay better than peolpe think

Consensus on this board seems to be borderline top 25. So let's say #30. Way better than that is what, #20? Waay better than that would be what, #10? Waaay better (your prediction) would be what, #1 or #2?

Really?

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2019, 12:25:51 AM »
I really do think value add ties all the numbers into one stat, and here is my take on the 3:

Yes, Joey was terrible the last several weeks. He was one of the top few hundred players of 4000 total college players (top 10% for sure) and he was not one of the best 1000 players in the country try after that. If Bailey and Cain took all his minutes MU would have won all the close games they lost of those last 7 if Joey had not played.

Markus was the 6th best player until he landed on the wrist Feb 27, and fell to 22nd after that because he played like a first team all conference player as opposed to a first team all American until Feb 27 - but still awesome.

Sam actually finished strong overall and actually moved up several spots to 28th for the season so you can't put blame him or Markus.

If Wojo could be blamed for anything it would be not benching Joey - but I can't imagine the haters on the boards if that happened and then they left.

Exactly!

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
Better...sure.  FAR from anything that worried teams...they ran him off the line...especially towards the end of the year.  It wont get any easier with two guys who shot over 40% from 3 now gone and a complete inability to scare anyone with his passing abilities.  Teams will run him off the line and the double can come from anywhere until guys prove they can hit 3's and Howard proves he can drive and kick.

This sounds like you think Howard will still be running the point.  With Howard playing the two the offense becomes more versatile.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
Holy crap.  You haven't been paying attention.  FTA > FTM

A few surprising numbers from last season:

• Theo had more free throw attempts (89) than Sam (79) -- despite taking 259 fewer shots overall.

• Sacar had more two-point field goal attempts (180) than Sam (158).

• Ed had more two-point field goals made and attempted (80-136, 58.8%) than Joey (61-131, 46.6%).

Sam's inside game (or lack thereof)
While Marquette will definitely miss Sam's incredible shooting, his inside game left something to be desired. A well-balanced offense needs players who score in the paint, drawing in defenses and opening up kick-outs to drivers and shooters.

You'd expect a 6-8, 225-pound forward with Sam's skill to contribute more down low. But he just wasn't that big of a factor inside the arc -- only 3rd on the team in 2-point FG attempts and 4th on the team in FT attempts. Sam may have contributed to the offense becoming one-dimensional and over-reliant on the three-point shot as much as anybody.

Who was the best big?
The last stat is a bit of an eye-opener. At times last season, it seemed like Ed threw the ball in the general vicinity of the hoop more than he took good shots. But by the numbers, he was easily more effective down low than Joey. Theo even made more 2-point field goals (71) than Joey, despite playing nearly 10 fewer mpg.

What's to come
Koby and Greg aren't likely to add much post-up offense. And I don't expect either one to shoot 40%+ from three-point range like Sam and Joey. What I do look forward to is having more players in the rotation who can push the ball in transition, break the press, initiate the offense, drive for high-percentage looks near the rim, draw defenders and fouls, and pass to open teammates on the wing.

MU's offense could look very different in the coming season. That might not be a bad thing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:51:43 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »

Koby and Greg aren't likely to add much post-up offense. And I don't expect either one to shoot 40%+ from three-point range like Sam and Joey. What I do look forward to is having more players in the rotation who can push the ball in transition, break the press, initiate the offense, drive for high-percentage looks near the rim, draw defenders and fouls, and pass to open teammates on the wing.

We got very few easy, transition baskets last season. When the 3s were falling, I barely even noticed that. But when they weren't, losing the transition-scoring "battle" by double-digits game after game was noticeable, especially given how close all the games were.

We had few defenders who could poke away the ball or step in front of passes and quickly turn defense into offense. One of them, Cain, was such a liability on offense that he saw very little court time. With McEwen, Elliott, presumably more Cain, presumably more Bailey, and the return of Sacar, hopefully we will make some of the defensive plays that have the double-benefit of stopping the opponent and starting easy offensive possessions for our heroes.

Given that our 3-point percentage is almost sure to take a hit, we likely will need those buckets to win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
A few surprising numbers from last season:

• Theo had more free throw attempts (89) than Sam (79) -- despite taking 259 fewer shots overall.

• Sacar had more two-point field goal attempts (180) than Sam (158).

• Ed had more two-point field goals made and attempted (80-136, 58.8%) than Joey (61-131, 46.6%).

Sam's inside game (or lack thereof)
While Marquette will definitely miss Sam's incredible shooting, his inside game left something to be desired. A well-balanced offense needs players who score in the paint, drawing in defenses and opening up kick-outs to drivers and shooters.

You'd expect a 6-8, 225-pound forward with Sam's skill to contribute more down low. But he just wasn't that big of a factor inside the arc -- only 3rd on the team in 2-point FG attempts and 4th on the team in FT attempts. Sam may have contributed to the offense becoming one-dimensional and over-reliant on the three-point shot as much as anybody.

None of those bullet points surprise me.  As for Sam's inside game, he played the role that maximized his abilities.  MU had better interior scorers.  He was the guy that was supposed to be kicked out to.  He's not going to beat a guy off the dribble.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwmk-FxhHpv/

I get the impression that they're fed up with the doubters...

As others have said, playing with a chip on their shoulders may be just what they need.  I think Bailey will surprise us the most - it's his gig now.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »

As others have said, playing with a chip on their shoulders may be just what they need.  I think Bailey will surprise us the most - it's his gig now.

Note that Sam liked the picture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2019, 12:05:57 PM »

He is being like an ex that breaks up with you then likes a bunch of stuff on social media and tries to make sure you can't forget her.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »
Koby has an 8 pack
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »

people said he liked jamals picture in the original post and now people are saying he liked this picture.  when i go to the likes and search "hauser" sam doesnt show up.

when i originally searched the likes for "hauser" in jamals post joey had liked it, but now when i search he no longer shows up.

are the hausers liking these pictures and then unliking them?  lol.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »

Shows a complete lack of both aggressiveness and athleticism - yet Sam was mad because he didn’t have the ball in his hands more?

And he’s the athletic Hauser :-\

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »
people said he liked jamals picture in the original post and now people are saying he liked this picture.  when i go to the likes and search "hauser" sam doesnt show up.

when i originally searched the likes for "hauser" in jamals post joey had liked it, but now when i search he no longer shows up.

are the hausers liking these pictures and then unliking them?  lol.

I don't think so. When you search the likes of a post, it only polls a certain amount of the likes I am pretty sure. So if you reload the image and try it a few times you will probably get different results.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »

Any time a team is united with a chip on their shoulder....   good to see Ike with them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback