'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What Happened to school Loyalty and Pride?  (Read 8178 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
What Happened to school Loyalty and Pride?
« on: April 22, 2019, 07:25:33 AM »
Given that all signs are pointing towards Wisconsin, I have to ask this question. What happened to school loyalty?

I get the Hausers are here to play basketball, I get that they're from Wisconsin but honestly transferring to the arch enemy, to me, shows that they never bought into being a part of Marquette.

Just from a localized example I know there's students from the northern Chicago suburbs that went to Loyola HS who hate New Trier to this day and I know OPRF & Fenwick loathe each other well into adulthood. There's examples of this all over the country and I'm sure if you asked the Hausers about how much they like their HS School rival they'd scoff at them.

So why is it that allegiance is thrown out the window for college? Is it a different culture now? Does the basketball program not emphasize the rivalry like the rest of the school? Do I just know people who hang onto HS rivalries too long?
Maigh Eo for Sam

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: What Happened to school Loyalty and Pride?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:27:36 AM »
Loyalty dwindles when options dwindle eh?
No Finish Line

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 07:30:16 AM »
How many schools want two slow unathletic malcontent limited players?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
Loyalty dwindles when options dwindle eh?

I'm pretty sure it was always their intent to go to UW.  TedBaxter pointed out that the staff flat out stopped recruiting 2019 targets a few weeks ago.  UVA and MSU were tossed in the mix because it was Sam and Joey's respective runners-up.  Once they get off campus it will be official.

If they were immediately eligible?  There would be MANY suitors.  Don't kid yourself.  The problem is tying up five years worth of scholarships for three years of production.  That's the issue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 07:59:23 AM »
Just from a localized example I know there's students from the northern Chicago suburbs that went to Loyola HS who hate New Trier to this day and I know OPRF & Fenwick loathe each other well into adulthood.

How stupid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »

How stupid.

Added a lot to the conversation. Really, glad you took time out of your day to contribute less than nothing to this topic.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »
Does the Harvard of the Midwest even accept credits from MU, or are they just dreaming?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »
Added a lot to the conversation. Really, glad you took time out of your day to contribute less than nothing to this topic.

Holding onto the hatred you had for your hometown’s rival high school is not healthy behavior for a mature adult.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 08:10:47 AM »
Holding onto the hatred you had for your hometown’s rival high school is not healthy behavior for a mature adult.

But holding onto it for the college rival like 99% of the folks do when the weren't even playing in the games is?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »

Seriously?  A college educated adult is wondering why people don't hold college rivalry grievances into adulthood like they apparently do for certain high schools in Chicago?

Maybe because it's an immature mindset.  I have Marquette friends that have sent their children to UW.  I have one who has a law degree from UW.  If the Hausers feel that they will be better off basketball wise at UW, they should go to UW.  You really think "school loyalty" should change that decision?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »
But holding onto it for the college rival like 99% of the folks do when the weren't even playing in the games is?

It's all in good fun.  I don't "hate" UW or its fans.  And if people actually do, they should reassess their priorities in life.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »

Seriously?  A college educated adult is wondering why people don't hold college rivalry grievances into adulthood like they apparently do for certain high schools in Chicago?

Maybe because it's an immature mindset.  I have Marquette friends that have sent their children to UW.  I have one who has a law degree from UW.  If the Hausers feel that they will be better off basketball wise at UW, they should go to UW.  You really think "school loyalty" should change that decision?

Not just Chicago. I used those as examples because I know firsthand. I knew people who went to the catholic schools around MKE (memorial pius etc) that would give out to each other all the time based on old games and what not.

It's all in good fun.  I don't "hate" UW or its fans.  And if people actually do, they should reassess their priorities in life.

Take a step back and review some of the posts re the Hausers headed to UW or some of the posts regarding Wisconsin (or ND who we don't even play anymore) in general on here. Then ask yourself if the majority on here have that same "it's all in good fun" mindset.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:25:32 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 08:22:52 AM »

I don't "hate" UW or its fans...but I despise their basketball program and, by extension, their players and coaches.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »
Take a step back and review some of the posts re the Hausers headed to UW or some of the posts regarding Wisconsin (or ND who we don't even play anymore) in general on here. Then ask yourself if the majority on here have that same "it's all in good fun" mindset.

If they don't, they should reassess their priorities in life.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 09:05:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was always their intent to go to UW.  TedBaxter pointed out that the staff flat out stopped recruiting 2019 targets a few weeks ago.  UVA and MSU were tossed in the mix because it was Sam and Joey's respective runners-up.  Once they get off campus it will be official.

If they were immediately eligible?  There would be MANY suitors.  Don't kid yourself.  The problem is tying up five years worth of scholarships for three years of production.  That's the issue.
That’s not my understanding of how this played out. And UW keeping the door open was an “in the event of” scenario which was smart.
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »

I "hate" opponents, especially rivals, the way most fans "hate" them.

I don't wish personal tragedy on them or injuries or anything like that, but I do want them to lose. I don't want them to succeed. I don't want them to thrive. I would be thrilled if they went 0-31. I especially want to beat them when my favorite team faces them.

So now that the Hausers apparently have joined forces with F%cky, they are the enemy ... period. I wish nothing good for them, basketball-wise. They quit Marquette, therefore they are quitters, and I will treat them as the enemies and quitters they are.

One could argue that Ed Morrow and Koby McEwen also are "quitters" because they quit Nebraska and Utah State, respectively. And those folks would be right. But they didn't quit MY school, and therefore I do not regard them as quitters. Indeed, they are the opposite of quitters -- they are noble Warriors who wisely chose to join the forces of good.

If that sounds like something a fan would say, I plead guilty.

As for the opening question, loyalty has nothing to do with anything. The Hausers made a business decision. They made it out of selfishness, to be sure, but just about every decision of this kind -- including their decisions to go to Marquette in the first place -- is made with that person's best interests in mind.

Does anybody think Sam chose Marquette out of some kind of years-long loyalty to our alma mater? He chose it because, after Bo stoopidly spurned him, it was the best decision he could make for himself at that time. He and Little Quitter now think the best thing for themselves is to quit Marquette and go to our rivals.

That is their right, but I am allowed, as a fan, to "hate" them for it. They get no more love from me than Nutgrabber McDouchenozzle does or Bo did or Kim Effen Hughes' father did.

I don't know why that wouldn't be the same for anybody who calls himself/herself a Marquette fan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »
So if the Hausers didn't like a play style that featured one ball dominant player....

Usage:
16-17: Ethan Happ: 26.7% Markus Howard: 26.7%
17-18: Ethan Happ: 34.9% Markus Howard: 30.9%
18-19: Ethan Happ: 33.6% Markus Howard: 37.4%

Is throw the ball in and let Happ work better than throw the ball in and let Markus work?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »
So if the Hausers didn't like a play style that featured one ball dominant player....

Usage:

Is throw the ball in and let Happ work better than throw the ball in and let Markus work?

UW didn't have much of a choice given the rest of their team was pretty putrid offensively. Sam should step in and be their best offensive player barring a significant improvement elsewhere.

Matt Heldt The Milk Man

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »
I think this is the most boneheaded, disrespectful, snake, horrible, thing that the Hausers have ever done. You go from being a top team in the country and being top 5 in preseason ranks, to being little snakes and forgoging loyalty because you, "dont get the ball enough'. I think that this is the best thing to happen because we dont need them. This will make the boys fired up and unstoppable. I just want to say sorry for the Big East cause its gonna be a bloodbath

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »
I think this is the most boneheaded, disrespectful, snake, horrible, thing that the Hausers have ever done. You go from being a top team in the country and being top 5 in preseason ranks, to being little snakes and forgoging loyalty because you, "dont get the ball enough'. I think that this is the best thing to happen because we dont need them. This will make the boys fired up and unstoppable. I just want to say sorry for the Big East cause its gonna be a bloodbath

"OK"

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »
Does the Harvard of the Midwest even accept credits from MU, or are they just dreaming?

Lol, thank you for the levity!

Yes, when my staff used to pitch business in Wisconsin I always tell them not to let anyone know I was a Marquette grad because there are a hundred badgers for every one warrior! Obviously I was exaggerating
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 10:57:46 AM »

Usage:

Ethan Happy graduated, Markus Howard is a Senior.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »

As pro Markus as I am I can't go with you there. Obviously Joey turned out to be more of a defensive liabilitydue to not being quick enough to get the guy who's supposed to guard on many occasions. For that I'll be happy to have Bailey getting those minutes and wish he did down the stretch. However an excellent defensive rebounder who can also pop to the corner and hit a three is a nice commodity and I do believe he'll be very good as a sophomore.

I ranked Sam in my top 30 players in the country and I do think he got more open shots because of all the attention teams had to pay the Markus but he is still very talented.

I have to assume Joe is kicking himself for coming to Marquette early to possibly burn a year as a redshirt
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
Ethan Happy graduated, Markus Howard is a Senior.

I understand,  I was commenting on the play style. Supposedly the Hausers didn't like Wojos style so im wondering if Gards style is any better.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
Given that all signs are pointing towards Wisconsin, I have to ask this question. What happened to school loyalty?

I get the Hausers are here to play basketball, I get that they're from Wisconsin but honestly transferring to the arch enemy, to me, shows that they never bought into being a part of Marquette.

Just from a localized example I know there's students from the northern Chicago suburbs that went to Loyola HS who hate New Trier to this day and I know OPRF & Fenwick loathe each other well into adulthood. There's examples of this all over the country and I'm sure if you asked the Hausers about how much they like their HS School rival they'd scoff at them.

So why is it that allegiance is thrown out the window for college? Is it a different culture now? Does the basketball program not emphasize the rivalry like the rest of the school? Do I just know people who hang onto HS rivalries too long?

Maybe they feel that MU (or at least Wojo) was not loyal to them.

Maybe they think they will be better prepared for their future elsewhere, as all of the transfers MU has had. If you hate the Hausers for transferring then you better be hating Morrow and McEwan, and I hope you spent two years booing Roswey and three booing Fischer.

These kids owe us fans nothing. They are in college to prepare for the rest of their professional as we were. Kids transfer all of the time for a myriad of reasons, why should athletes be any different? 

And yes, you hang on to HS rivalries too damn long.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »
If you hate the Hausers for transferring then you better be hating Morrow and McEwan, and I hope you spent two years booing Roswey and three booing Fischer.

Why would a Marquette fan boo Warriors who want to compete for the Warriors?

I wouldn't blame a Nebraska fan for booing Morrow, a Utah State fan for booing McEwen, an Asheville fan for booing Rowsey or an Indiana fan for booing Fischer.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 07:36:59 PM »
You've got to be kidding.  The communist rodent school has always been a party school, way down the ladder from Marquette.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
Why would a Marquette fan boo Warriors who want to compete for the Warriors?

I wouldn't blame a Nebraska fan for booing Morrow, a Utah State fan for booing McEwen, an Asheville fan for booing Rowsey or an Indiana fan for booing Fischer.

personally, I can't stand Draymond Green so I'll boo him every time he touches the ball. I do like Steph though. I watched him put up 17 in an OT once in person. I walked out of the arena in awe.

As for MU players, I hold our guys to the same standards. they had a reason for transferring and I don't consider those who come here as a transfer any more loyal or disloyal than those who leave.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 07:57:13 PM »
From the Harvard of Milwaukee? They damn well better!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
As for MU players, I hold our guys to the same standards. they had a reason for transferring and I don't consider those who come here as a transfer any more loyal or disloyal than those who leave.

OK. You can judge loyalty however you want. So can I.

'Merica!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2019, 09:24:13 PM »
You've got to be kidding.  The communist rodent school has always been a party school, way down the ladder from Marquette.

lmao

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:47 PM »

Usage:

..and if I were a Coach considering them I would make it clear I am the Coach and they play my way. Also, is it certain that they going as package deal. I could see a coach wanting one but not both.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »
Loyalty is a fun topic.

Crean wasn't loyal to Marquette.

Buzz wasn't loyal to Marquette.

KO wasn't loyal to Marquette.

Al tried very hard not to be loyal to Marquette -- a story not everybody knows.

Hank was loyal to Marquette and was pushed out.

Dukiet was loyal to Marquette and was fired.

Deane was loyal to Marquette and was fired.

Wojo has been loyal to Marquette, at least so far, and he fans hated on him from the start, or became haters. I had been one of his most vocal supporters, but I have been very critical of the way he handled the Hauser situation.

I guess loyalty only matters to the person who is either being loyal or disloyal, or the person who is the victim of disloyalty.

That's why I don't criticize the Hausers for being selfish. They are. They are looking out for themselves. As they should.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:18 AM »
Yeah! Why wasn't Marquette loyal to the Hauser and told Wojo in no uncertain terms to heed their demands. Loyalty runs both ways!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 09:59:51 AM »
Loyalty is a fun topic.

Wojo has been loyal to Marquette, at least so far, and he fans hated on him from the start, or became haters. I had been one of his most vocal supporters, but I have been very critical of the way he handled the Hauser situation.

I guess loyalty only matters to the person who is either being loyal or disloyal, or the person who is the victim of disloyalty.

That's why I don't criticize the Hausers for being selfish. They are. They are looking out for themselves. As they should.

So perhaps the degree of one's loyalty is inversely proportional to the volume of one's options.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »

I think just about every program in the country would take the hausers. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 08:14:31 PM »
I think just about every program in the country would take the hausers.

I'm actually surprised there aren't any other more prominent schools on their list. I thought schools like Michigan, Kansas, Texas Tech, Louisville, and Tennessee would be lining up. I know not everyone has two scholarships, but I feel those openings will appear if necessary.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
I'm actually surprised there aren't any other more prominent schools on their list. I thought schools like Michigan, Kansas, Texas Tech, Louisville, and Tennessee would be lining up. I know not everyone has two scholarships, but I feel those openings will appear if necessary.
Suspect that they get the VA and MSU original connections.......

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 08:35:18 PM »
Loyalty is a fun topic.

re: Item #5  Remember when Al tried to get out of his contract with MU so he could coach the Milwaukee Bucks.  I do.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
Father Raynor told Al, "No dice, Mister."
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 08:41:56 PM »
Woah.  Maybe Michigan I guess. The Hausers are not good enough for Kansas and I don’t think they are athletic enough to fit in with the others.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 08:45:35 PM »
Loyalty is a fun topic.

Deane wanted out at the end, he knew what was coming.

What would you have liked him to do differently with the Hausers?  Let them dictate style of play, number of shots, how many minutes the boys receive?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 09:15:56 PM »
re: Item #5  Remember when Al tried to get out of his contract with MU so he could coach the Milwaukee Bucks.  I do.

Our memory of Al would have been a lot different if he had gotten what he wanted -- an end to his Marquette coaching career before he ever won a title. Most of us would still remember him fondly, of course, but he wouldn't have been a championship coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »
Deane wanted out at the end, he knew what was coming.

What would you have liked him to do differently with the Hausers?  Let them dictate style of play, number of shots, how many minutes the boys receive?

It is his job to deal with the various egos. The buck always stops with the head coach.

I'm not close enough to the situation to know exactly what he should have done differently, but the obvious answer is: Something. That's his effen job.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 10:11:54 PM »
It is his job to deal with the various egos. The buck always stops with the head coach.

I'm not close enough to the situation to know exactly what he should have done differently, but the obvious answer is: Something. That's his effen job.

A lot of people complain about being in jail. I figure the jailers should just let em go.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback