'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Can the hausers change their mind?  (Read 8456 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Can the hausers change their mind?
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
Golden Warrior

I might be "one of those who claim to be in the know", and because of MU 82 outing me, I no longer stand by the threat has passed stance. I hope that your belief of more departures does not materialize.

I phrased it poorly - I meant to say that no matter what, the team was looking at players transferring for next season.  If Sam/Joey stayed, it was likely others were going to leave due to the minutes crunch; if Sam/Joey commit to their transfer (as it is widely believed), then other players would likely not leave due to the opening of minutes.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 10:20:05 AM »
Not sure where to ask this ...

Why don't they test the NBA waters?  Why not even try (especially for Sam)?

As I mentioned previously and will now elaborate....

NBA scouts are human, and thus, they are prone to the same bias that we all are, including the one summed up best by that age-old adage of "you only get one chance to make a first impression."  Scouts will formulate an opinion on just about anyone they watch playing the college game, but they can't do a full eval until the player is surrounded by NBA-level (and/or potential) talent.

Think of it this way: NBA scouts might have a great idea about what Sam's NBA potential is, but they haven't started writing the book yet; and until pen is put to paper, opinions are free to evolve and change.  But once the opening chapter is written, everything that follows is still preceded by that first chapter, and any publisher will tell you that it doesn't matter what is written on the next 500 pages, if the opening chapter is trash, that book ain't gonna sell.

In other words, let's say that Sam has the potential for a modest NBA career... he doesn't have the "intangibles" like a Jimmy Butler or unrefined potential like a young Giannis, but certainly he could be something between a Novak (journeyman role-player) and a McNeal (enough talent to break in, but just can't break out).  In other words, even if he's sitting on the fringe to be drafted, he's first cut on making a team (pun semi-intended).  So the very last thing a guy like him needs is to have a poor showing in Portsmouth and have something attached to him that he's not going to be able to shake after one more year in the NCAA, which, mind you, is going to follow a year on the pine.

With all that said, the absolute worst thing for Sam's NBA career, if that is his destiny, is to make a bad impression and then have to sit out a year.  If he did put in for an eval, the best thing would be for him to return to MU and play his final season right away.

My guess... Sam has resigned himself to going pro in something else or he's not 100%.  If NBA really was the path, why postpone it longer than necessary, unless you have an extenuating circumstance - perhaps a lingering injury - and the best bet for your career is to take a year off to get back to 100% health without raising any alarms.

Which actually seems to make sense if you think about it...
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
As I mentioned previously and will now elaborate....

NBA scouts are human, and thus, they are prone to the same bias that we all are, including the one summed up best by that age-old adage of "you only get one chance to make a first impression."  Scouts will formulate an opinion on just about anyone they watch playing the college game, but they can't do a full eval until the player is surrounded by NBA-level (and/or potential) talent.

Think of it this way: NBA scouts might have a great idea about what Sam's NBA potential is, but they haven't started writing the book yet; and until pen is put to paper, opinions are free to evolve and change.  But once the opening chapter is written, everything that follows is still preceded by that first chapter, and any publisher will tell you that it doesn't matter what is written on the next 500 pages, if the opening chapter is trash, that book ain't gonna sell.

In other words, let's say that Sam has the potential for a modest NBA career... he doesn't have the "intangibles" like a Jimmy Butler or unrefined potential like a young Giannis, but certainly he could be something between a Novak (journeyman role-player) and a McNeal (enough talent to break in, but just can't break out).  In other words, even if he's sitting on the fringe to be drafted, he's first cut on making a team (pun semi-intended).  So the very last thing a guy like him needs is to have a poor showing in Portsmouth and have something attached to him that he's not going to be able to shake after one more year in the NCAA, which, mind you, is going to follow a year on the pine.

With all that said, the absolute worst thing for Sam's NBA career, if that is his destiny, is to make a bad impression and then have to sit out a year.  If he did put in for an eval, the best thing would be for him to return to MU and play his final season right away.

My guess... Sam has resigned himself to going pro in something else or he's not 100%.  If NBA really was the path, why postpone it longer than necessary, unless you have an extenuating circumstance - perhaps a lingering injury - and the best bet for your career is to take a year off to get back to 100% health without raising any alarms.

Which actually seems to make sense if you think about it...

Everything you say here is correct.

A marginal (very) prospect at 19-20 has a chance to ride a bench for a couple years - maybe after time in the G League. A marginal prospect at (almost) 23, plays in Europe.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »
Everything you say here is correct.

A marginal (very) prospect at 19-20 has a chance to ride a bench for a couple years - maybe after time in the G League. A marginal prospect at (almost) 23, plays in Europe.

That's really not true.  Plenty of "marginal" players 23 and older in the G-League.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
If they came back it would be because their desired options (MSU, UVA) turned them down.

While we would undoubtedly be better with them, I don't think I'd want them back at that point.

MUDPT

• All American

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
Because the deadline was yesterday, I believe. Even if it wasn't, early entrants had to request an eval by April 11 to be eligible to return. So they would've had to make that request before Markus announced he was back.

Actually this isn't true, we all thought it was, but I have seen plenty declare since the 11th, that have mentioned still coming back to school. Weird.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »
Actually this isn't true, we all thought it was, but I have seen plenty declare since the 11th, that have mentioned still coming back to school. Weird.

Guru, I have explained this to you a number of times.  Players who wanted to enter the draft but leave open the possibility of return had to apply for an evaluation from the NBA undergraduate advisory committee by April 11.  They didn't need to announce by that date.  All undergraduates must declare for the draft by today and withdraw by May 29 in order to return to school.  Players who did not ask for an evaluation from the undergraduate advisory committee can still declare by today, but will lose their remaining NCAA eligibility if they do so.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
Guru, I have explained this to you a number of times.  Players who wanted to enter the draft but leave open the possibility of return had to apply for an evaluation from the NBA undergraduate advisory committee by April 11.  They didn't need to announce by that date.  All undergraduates must declare for the draft by today and withdraw by May 29 in order to return to school.  Players who did not ask for an evaluation from the undergraduate advisory committee can still declare by today, but will lose their remaining NCAA eligibility if they do so.

I know mom, but you'd have thought announcements would have been much sooner on those that had already applied by the 11th. What's the point in waiting with something like that?? That was over 10 days ago.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
Maybe they applied for the evaluation but hadn't decided yet if they were going.  Or maybe they didn't apply for the evaluation but just decided, "screw that, I'm done with school."  You never know.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »
Yeah, about this...

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamalcain24/status/1120352403675656193/photo/1

What happened to Elliott's hand?  When did he lose parts of two fingers?  That's sure to effect his shot. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
If they came back it would be because their desired options (MSU, UVA) turned them down.

While we would undoubtedly be better with them, I don't think I'd want them back at that point.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »

on the one week anniversary of announcing transfer
Glad your back. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 02:19:34 PM »
What happened to Elliott's hand?  When did he lose parts of two fingers?  That's sure to effect his shot.

Yeah, they were really underselling that injury last season.
Have some patience, FFS.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »
No chance.  Wojo just finished re-watching the Buffalo game - no time.

feedback