[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Unionization at MU  (Read 5680 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Unionization at MU
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
The idea of fewer adjuncts and more TT faculty is definitely a good one, but there are financial realities that have to be balanced.

The bigger financial concern often comes among adjuncts outside of the professional fields mentioned here. Humanities adjuncts often don't have the better-paying jobs readily available like chick claims. Instead it's a life of teaching a couple classes each at a couple different schools, freelance writing on the side if you can, and hoping it all cobbles together enough to pay the bills. Then you start all over again the next semester, as you likely don't have any sort of guarantee/stability past those 15 weeks. You can debate the value (both $ and otherwise) of pursuing and offering various liberal arts fields, but that's just my $.02.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »

One thing to note is that especially in the professional courses (business, engineering, communications, etc.) having a significant number of adjuncts is not necessarily a bad thing  They are almost exclusively people who have full -time jobs doing what they are teaching.  Theory is fine to a point, but do you really want to get a degree in Nursing  without having a teacher with recent experience working in a hospital?

I think we're in agreement there. It is the "non-professional" disciplines (i.e. humanities, the backbone of Jesuit education) where this is simply not the case.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:19:54 AM by Coleman »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 10:22:59 AM »
Not many larger universities are going to hire full time faculty to teach all of its sections in entry level courses.  My recollection is that everyone takes an some sort of base English composition course at Marquette right?  It would be foolish to have tenured faculty teaching all of those courses.  Most don't want to do that, and are oftentimes not good at it.  Non-tenured instructors oftentimes are simply better teachers, and are the front lines in dealing with students with academic issues.  Oftentimes those people are given specific training on how to identify and work with students who are struggling to transition to college.  Without quality instructors, freshman don't become sophomores much less upper division students who faculty usually prefer to teach.

So it's not really about tenured v. non-tenured.  It's about valuing the contributions that non-tenured instructors bring to the instructional process, and compensating them according to that value.  Historically many  colleges and universities have treated those instructors like commodities, but more and more are understanding their value.  I hope Marquette does.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 10:27:31 AM »
I don't know the answer to that.

Marquette does have a pretty powerful search tool on their website, so you could try that.

One thing to note is that especially in the professional courses (business, engineering, communications, etc.) having a significant number of adjuncts is not necessarily a bad thing  They are almost exclusively people who have full -time jobs doing what they are teaching.  Theory is fine to a point, but do you really want to get a degree in Nursing  without having a teacher with recent experience working in a hospital?

The accretiting body for business schools actually wants a balance of tenure track faculty members with adjuncts with practical experience.  The top MBA programs in the world usually have some degree of adjuncts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
Not many larger universities are going to hire full time faculty to teach all of its sections in entry level courses.  My recollection is that everyone takes an some sort of base English composition course at Marquette right?  It would be foolish to have tenured faculty teaching all of those courses.  Most don't want to do that, and are oftentimes not good at it.  Non-tenured instructors oftentimes are simply better teachers, and are the front lines in dealing with students with academic issues.  Oftentimes those people are given specific training on how to identify and work with students who are struggling to transition to college.  Without quality instructors, freshman don't become sophomores much less upper division students who faculty usually prefer to teach.

So it's not really about tenured v. non-tenured.  It's about valuing the contributions that non-tenured instructors bring to the instructional process, and compensating them according to that value.  Historically many  colleges and universities have treated those instructors like commodities, but more and more are understanding their value.  I hope Marquette does.

I'm fine with having an English PhD candidate that is ABD teaching these courses, if that candidate is on scholarship, stipend, etc.. That would honestly be best case scenario. That is more of training for future tenure-track work, and much preferable to using an adjunct who is indefinitely struggling to survive. It is not that all teaching staff needs to be tenured, it is we need to move away from over-reliance on adjuncts. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »

The accretiting body for business schools actually wants a balance of tenure track faculty members with adjuncts with practical experience.  The top MBA programs in the world usually have some degree of adjuncts.

Again, I think we are all in agreement in business, nursing, etc.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »
The idea of fewer adjuncts and more TT faculty is definitely a good one, but there are financial realities that have to be balanced.

The bigger financial concern often comes among adjuncts outside of the professional fields mentioned here. Humanities adjuncts often don't have the better-paying jobs readily available like chick claims. Instead it's a life of teaching a couple classes each at a couple different schools, freelance writing on the side if you can, and hoping it all cobbles together enough to pay the bills. Then you start all over again the next semester, as you likely don't have any sort of guarantee/stability past those 15 weeks. You can debate the value (both $ and otherwise) of pursuing and offering various liberal arts fields, but that's just my $.02.

I disagree.  There might not be better-paying jobs directly in their field, but there are plenty of better-paying jobs in other fields.

You are not entitled to a high-paying job in your field simply because that is what you decided to study.  Most Theater and Music majors learned that a long time ago.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »

I disagree.  There might not be better-paying jobs directly in their field, but there are plenty of better-paying jobs in other fields.

You are not entitled to a high-paying job in your field simply because that is what you decided to study.  Most Theater and Music majors learned that a long time ago.

The question is not whether people are entitled jobs in their field. The question is whether universities should continue to support a system in which they employ adjuncts in disciplines where such practices result in poverty to the worker.

If that means less jobs, fine.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
The question is not whether people are entitled jobs in their field. The question is whether universities should continue to support a system in which they employ adjuncts in disciplines where such practices result in poverty to the worker.

If that means less jobs, fine.

No one employed full-time by Marquette is living in poverty. Are you saying that they should be paying a living wage to part-time workers?  Or that they shouldn't be allowed to offer part-time jobs?
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2019, 10:55:07 AM »
No one employed full-time by Marquette is living in poverty. Are you saying that they should be paying a living wage to part-time workers?  Or that they shouldn't be allowed to offer part-time jobs?

We're going in circles chick. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I am not talking about full-time employees. I am talking about adjuncts who are part-time. I am not saying MU should be paying them full-time wages. I am saying all unviersities (including MU) shouldn't be so over-reliant on part-time adjuncts in the liberal arts, which perpetuates a cycle in which many of these people end up in poverty, but I suspect you knew that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:56:56 AM by Coleman »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2019, 03:15:00 PM »
We're going in circles chick. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I am not talking about full-time employees. I am talking about adjuncts who are part-time. I am not saying MU should be paying them full-time wages. I am saying all unviersities (including MU) shouldn't be so over-reliant on part-time adjuncts in the liberal arts, which perpetuates a cycle in which many of these people end up in poverty, but I suspect you knew that.

I disagree with your premise, mostly because MU is not intending those roles to impoverish those that fill them. Those roles aren't intended to be "life sustaining" nor should they be IMO. To reduce the number of adjuncts simultaneously increase's MUs costs and decreases opportunities for non-professor track types, why is that a good thing? If you increase the pay for adjuncts, you have to do so uniformally across all of the schools which increases costs and by extension tuition significantly.

Why is it MU's responsibility to ensure that someone who study humanities can have a livable wage by piecing together part time college teaching work?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
I disagree with your premise, mostly because MU is not intending those roles to impoverish those that fill them. Those roles aren't intended to be "life sustaining" nor should they be IMO. To reduce the number of adjuncts simultaneously increase's MUs costs and decreases opportunities for non-professor track types, why is that a good thing? If you increase the pay for adjuncts, you have to do so uniformally across all of the schools which increases costs and by extension tuition significantly.

Why is it MU's responsibility to ensure that someone who study humanities can have a livable wage by piecing together part time college teaching work?

Intent doesn't matter. What matters is that universities are perpetuating a system that has unjust outcomes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
If the basketball team was unionized, the Hausers would have had an official grievance policy to follow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 09:58:34 PM »
Intent doesn't matter. What matters is that universities are perpetuating a system that has unjust outcomes.

Life is unjust and how is it more just to put kids into increased debt so a couple of people can get by with a single part time job
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »
Life is unjust and how is it more just to put kids into increased debt so a couple of people can get by with a single part time job

If you go down that path, then you should really question the whole higher education system that has rising costs only rivaled by healthcare costs.  The system is broken in general, but that is straddling the line of getting too political, so I will just leave it at that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
If you go down that path, then you should really question the whole higher education system that has rising costs only rivaled by healthcare costs.  The system is broken in general, but that is straddling the line of getting too political, so I will just leave it at that.

Trust me I question the entire education system, soup to nuts, every day.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 08:50:31 PM »

Shouldn't all the professors in the humanities and elsewhere not be paid as much to help the kids get their lower cost education?

See, this is where things start to fall apart.  All kinds of reasons education is expensive, from fancy new buildings, salaries, athletic cost escalations, cheap loans which drove access and demand, etc, etc.  But when one tries to get the costs under control it becomes a giant GO ELSEWHERE, DON'T TOUCH MY AREA
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 08:36:45 AM »
Shouldn't all the professors in the humanities and elsewhere not be paid as much to help the kids get their lower cost education?

See, this is where things start to fall apart.  All kinds of reasons education is expensive, from fancy new buildings, salaries, athletic cost escalations, cheap loans which drove access and demand, etc, etc.  But when one tries to get the costs under control it becomes a giant GO ELSEWHERE, DON'T TOUCH MY AREA

Professor salaries are not the problem. The other stuff you listed are definitely problems.

feedback