'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: If destination is UW  (Read 56793 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: If destination is UW
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
Tall Titan

Travis Deiner said Sam was already an all time great at MU.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »
If he scored as many points next year as he did this year, he'd rank 4th all time in scoring at Marquette. Pile on an all-conference nod and perhaps a deep tourney run, and he'd have been remembered very fondly by the MU faithful.

He's a good player, but scoring in today's game (only 12.7 career average too after starting all three years) doesn't vault one above many who came before him.  There are many we remember fondly, but not as "great." Other than all conference second team and nominations for some awards, Hauser, he hasn't really stood out. 

Good? Sure. Remembered fondly? Probably (many are). All-time great? Hardly.  I could name 20 off the top of my head in my 25 years as a MU fan I would put above Hauser right now.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2019, 01:20:35 PM »
He's a good player, but scoring in today's game (only 12.7 career average too after starting all three years) doesn't vault one above many who came before him.  There are many we remember fondly, but not as "great." Other than all conference second team and nominations for some awards, Hauser, he hasn't really stood out. 

Good? Sure. Remembered fondly? Probably (many are). All-time great? Hardly.  I could name 20 off the top of my head in my 25 years as a MU fan I would put above Hauser right now.

I'd like to see that list.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2019, 01:25:02 PM »
Billy

I would like to hear your list of twenty you take over Sam. Just curious, how does Howard rank in your all time MU list?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2019, 01:29:10 PM »

I'd like to see that list.

90': Tony Smith, Mac, Key, Miller, Crawford, Amal, Hutch, Wardle
2000's: Wade, Diener, Novak, Wes, DJ, Jerel, Lazar, DJO, Crowder, Butler, Markus.

So Sam comes out at 20 (I put him just barely ahead of Cordell, even though Cordell was the second leading scorer on the 2001-02 NCAA tourney team.

This is not a rank in order, but rather chronological, though obviously, it starts with Wade. I'd put Marcus in the 5-7 range. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:31:28 PM by Billy Hoyle »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
FWIW, here is my list of players I would take ahead of Sam from the past 25 years (not in any particular order):

1. Wade
2. McNeal
3. Matthews
4. James
5. Travis
6. Markus
7. Wardle
8. Jae
9. Lazar
10. Novak
11. Hutch
12. Butler
13. DJO
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »
Not sure if this has been talked about, honestly haven't read a word of this thread..my apologies. BUT If they go to Madison, Sam's only game against us will be at the FF in 2 years. Will he/they be boo'd or applauded?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2019, 01:35:26 PM »
2000's: Wade, Diener, Novak, Wes, DJ, Jerel, Lazar, DJO, Crowder, Butler, Markus.

So Sam comes out at 20 (I put him just barely ahead of Cordell, even though Cordell was the second leading scorer on the 2001-02 NCAA tourney team.

This is not a rank in order, but rather chronological, though obviously, it starts with Wade. I'd put Marcus in the 5-7 range. 

Tony Smith last played for MU in 1990 so he falls outside the 25 year range.  If you really want to get hyper-technical, so do Key and Mac.  And I don't have players like Amal and Chris Crawford up there with Sam.  I think Sam better than both.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »
Not sure if this has been talked about, honestly haven't read a word of this thread..my apologies. BUT If they go to Madison, Sam's only game against us will be at the FF in 2 years. Will he/they be boo'd or applauded?

Of course they will be booed.  Without question.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »
Depends on what happens next season. If we flame out he’ll get blamed so he’ll get boo’d. If we have a great season the fans will be somewhat gracious imo
No Finish Line

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »
They will be booed loudly if they go to UW....and rightly so.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
Billy and Fluff

Did you see all of these guys play?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
Billy and Fluff

Yeah.  Pretty much every single one of their games.  Sam is a good player.  Who on my list would you put behind Sam?  IMO the only one that's questionable is Brian Wardle.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:47 PM »

Tony Smith last played for MU in 1990 so he falls outside the 25 year range.  If you really want to get hyper-technical, so do Key and Mac.  And I don't have players like Amal and Chris Crawford up there with Sam.  I think Sam better than both.

Key and Mac finished in 1994, that's 25 years.  Tony, ok. I hear you there.

The thing with players like Crawford and Amal is that their stats were depressed because of the systems they played in. Both led us to NCAA wins, were on conference title teams and were drafted and played in the NBA. I think Crawford could have averaged nearly 20 a game playing for an MU coach other than Deane.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »
Billy and Fluff

All but Tony (at least in person)

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »

Yeah.  Pretty much every single one of their games.  Sam is a good player.  Who on my list would you put behind Sam?  IMO the only one that's questionable is Brian Wardle.

I will be floored if Goose says Sam is better than any of the guys on your list. But it would definitely fit his narrative.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »
Kampus

There is a lot of talking points involved in rating players. To me, aside from Wade, is the size of the body of work. There are a number of guys on there that had one or two exceptional years, but not four year career. With just a quick look at the list, the four names noted by Fluff come to mind, but would definitely say Amal and Crawford, by a wide margin. Again, we are talking MU career, not post MU career.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
Kampus

There is a lot of talking points involved in rating players. To me, aside from Wade, is the size of the body of work. There are a number of guys on there that had one or two exceptional years, but not four year career. With just a quick look at the list, the four names noted by Fluff come to mind, but would definitely say Amal and Crawford, by a wide margin. Again, we are talking MU career, not post MU career.

Yes - I was talking about the guys on Fluffy's 13 person list. Also, I would currently classify Sam as one of those players who had one or two exceptional years. Wouldn't you?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2019, 02:38:56 PM »
Kampus

To be fair Sam will not have had a four year career either. That at least throws Butler and DJO in the mix
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

Marquette transfers Sam and Joey Hauser confirm to me they will visit Wisconsin on April 26, Michigan State on May 3 and Virginia on May 17. Also intend to set up visit to Iowa. Will obviously be a huge addition for anyone.

“Visiting” this weekend means coming for Mifflin, which Sam was at last year anyway.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »

Amal and Crawford both made the NBA.  Doesn’t mean they were better college players, but they did reach the highest level. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:09 PM »
I hope to hell they go to UW, then we can drive past and dunk on the Hauser boys rather than our opponents driving past and dunking on us!!!!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2019, 09:16:50 PM »

Vander.....
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2019, 10:52:56 PM »
Key and Mac finished in 1994, that's 25 years.  Tony, ok. I hear you there.

The thing with players like Crawford and Amal is that their stats were depressed because of the systems they played in. Both led us to NCAA wins, were on conference title teams and were drafted and played in the NBA. I think Crawford could have averaged nearly 20 a game playing for an MU coach other than Deane.

They also had really good players ahead of them reducing their roles as underclassmen
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:55:41 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2019, 05:42:22 AM »
Tall Titan

Travis Deiner said Sam was already an all time great at MU.

Did he say that before or after he chose to help someone else (probably our main rival) win?