[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBS SPORTS REACHES MULTI-YEAR AGREEMENT TO AIR BIG EAST  (Read 10565 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: CBS SPORTS REACHES MULTI-YEAR AGREEMENT TO AIR BIG EAST
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2019, 11:12:41 AM »
It's the same deal as it was for the most part for FOX Sports. 16 games to CBSSN.(Old deal was 20 to 30 games on CBSSN) Yet, CBS coverage gets doubled to 4 games. That a great thing! If FOX Sports can't sell some of it's product off, that would be bad news for the Big East. Since, other networks in this case CBS/CBSSN wants to buy Big East games from FOX Sports, that is good news for the Big East Conference.
The point you are making about Fox selling off inventory is a very good one. The fact that they can sell off product on good terms is a solid endorsement for the conference .  CBS needs product at certain times and this tells us that Big East is a decent draw to fill their needs.

As far as the value in the cable channel, Fox also sells off games to people like YES. I prefer CBSSN because they play the games live. Sometimes the YES games are on tape delay. Also we get the benefit of their CBS marketing and plenty of good research reports by guys like Matt Norlander.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »
Why bother writing "up to" if that doesn't mean "as many as 4 but possibly fewer than 4" ?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 11:44:45 AM »
Why bother writing "up to" if that doesn't mean "as many as 4 but possibly fewer than 4" ?
They paid for the right to put up to 4 games on the broadcast network. The price to put the games on the Broadcast Network is materially higher than the price to put games on the cable network. So theoretically CBS could opt not to use that broadcast inventory, but it would be done at a significant loss, which is not likely to happen. 
            ---Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
They paid for the right to put up to 4 games on the broadcast network. The price to put the games on the Broadcast Network is materially higher than the price to put games on the cable network. So theoretically CBS could opt not to use that broadcast inventory, but it would be done at a significant loss, which is not likely to happen.

CBS is only going to air games that are going to draw eyeballs.

If the Big East is down, they are going to air other college basketball games they have rights to. It is NOT guaranteed they will air all 4 games.

We don't even know the financial terms of the sub license. They could have got these games for a song. So I don't know how you can assume it would be a "significant" loss to CBS not to air them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:24:19 PM by Coleman »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »

If the Big East is down, they are going to air other college basketball games they have rights to. It is NOT guaranteed they will air all 4 games.

We don't even know the financial terms of the sub license. They could have got these games for a song. So I don't know how you can assume it would be a "significant" loss to CBS not to air them.
This is an extension of a contract that has gone back to prior to the formation of this iteration of the Big East.  So CBS has a good view to what the eyeballs are.  So CBS paid to up their broadcast rights from two to four as they believe there is support  for four games worth of  product in the market. That is how these things work. Fox is not in the business of laying off their inventory at a loss either. 

Bottom line is Villanova is a desirable team to put on their network. There are also some non conference match ups such as  Syracuse versus Georgetown that will fall under this program.

CBS looks to promote all teams in the country in the build up to their NCAA coverage. So that factors into this relationship as well. Given that The Big East has proven to be a  large multiple biid league it make sense for them to have some exposure.
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »

This isn't college football where the networks pick their games 13 to 6 days before. The college basketball schedules come out in September and those networks are set. Stuff doesn't get flexed to another network.

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

panda

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »
Warning Rant

CBSSN STINKS...End rant

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2019, 12:56:12 PM »
Eh. I don't think so. I think the national hierarchy in terms of reach and prestige (not including regional sports networks) is kinda like this

ESPN (first tier)
ESPN2 - FS1 (second tier)
FS2 - CBSSN (third tier)

I'm not saying what I like best. I hate ESPN. But this is reality.

Fs1 blew past ESPN2 in viewership ahead of schedule, and hit half of ESPN's viewership way ahead of schedule. I wouldn't put ESPN2 on the same line with fox sports 1 anymore.

I like being I. The CBS system because you get more talk and more highlights on the big CBS.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.