[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If I'm Bill Scholl...  (Read 11620 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
If I'm Bill Scholl...
« on: April 17, 2019, 10:13:13 AM »
I would sit Wojo Down and say...

I don't need a million excuses on why the Hauser's left. However, you need to know this is not a good look for Marquette basketball. Secondly, The best way to get past all of this is to win games next year, and next year's expectations don't change - you don't get to use the Hauser's departure as a crutch/excuse if things don't go well. We hired you to continue the tradition of Marquette basketball excellence.  It will be year 6 we expect the following.

1. Top 2 finish in the Big East
2. Playing in the finals of the Big East Tournament
3. Playing in the second weekend of the NCAA tournament
4. consistency ranked in the top 25
5. No additional distractions from your locker room

After the conversation takes place, I would also enact my plan B and start working all of my connections to figure out who our next coach could be in 12 months.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: If I'm Bill Scholl...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:15:16 AM »
That sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »
That sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Personally i don't think Wojo is up to the task, but you have to at least give him enough rope...

Also, we're late to the game for a coaching search to take place this year. by bying yourself a year, you keep Markus and hopefully have a solid plan in place 12 months from now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
OK, but what if Wojo does 4 of the 5?

Say, 1, 2, 3 and 5 all happen but we don't make it to the second weekend of the NCAAs because we lose an exciting, well-played game in Round 2 on a buzzer-beater.

Oh, and he also has lined up another good recruiting class.

Do you fire him anyway?

If the answer is yes, that's harsh.

If the answer is no, then you are lowering your standards.

Not so easy being an AD.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »

Say, 1, 2, 3 and 5 all happen but we don't make it to the second weekend of the NCAAs because we lose an exciting, well-played game in Round 2 on a buzzer-beater.

Do you fire him anyway?

Not so easy being an AD.

I assume you mean if he does 1,2,4, and 5. and if we make that assumption then we should be at least a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament and odds should be in our favor that the scenario above does not play out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »
I don't agree with everything the OP said but agree with the general theme. The best possible outcome for Marquette at this point is Wojo finding a way to win big in spite of recent developments. You have to give him the opportunity to recover.

However,  you have to prepare for the possibility that he won't be able to recover.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

Do you fire him anyway?

Not so easy being an AD.

I agree that these things are never so rigid as we want them to be.  But you're describing my nightmare scenario. A coach that always does just enough to stay but never enough to prove he belongs. I don't think scoop can handle any more years of that
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:59 AM »
What if we have a good (but not great) regular season, aren't in the top 25 and finish 3rd or 4th in the BE...but we finish strong and take a 5 or 6 seed to the Elite 8?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
What if we have a good (but not great) regular season, aren't in the top 25 and finish 3rd or 4th in the BE...but we finish strong and take a 5 or 6 seed to the Elite 8?

Personally, that's not good enough. It may seem contradictory, but from my perspective, the need to meet next year's pre-Hauser news expectations went up this week, not down. If the Hausers come back and we are slightly better than last year, fringe top-25, 4-seed, win a game or two in the NCAAs, it's disappointing but you accept it and move on.

This situation is of Wojo's creation. There is no other way to view it. If the problem was Markus' usage, that was Wojo's system. If you think the problem was team chemistry, Wojo recruited these guys. If you think the problem was Hauser selfishness, again, Wojo brought them in. Ultimately, whatever led to this week's transfers lays at Wojo's feet because it was his job to assemble this team and keep the team member happy once they were on campus.

Wojo created the expectation of a top-10 team & Wojo was overseeing the program whose Twitter account spent the past two weeks retweeting every top-10 projection for Marquette, reinforcing to the fanbase that a top-10 team & all the accolades & results that accompany such a lofty position is what we should expect for next year. In that regard, nothing has changed & if anything, it only became more important that the team we put on the court deliver the results Wojo & the program have been pushing out to the fanbase since the 2018-19 season ended.

I agree there needs to be flexibility. If we finish 3rd in the AP Poll, win the Big East, make a BET title game, earn a 1-seed, and lose on a buzzer beater to an 8-seed, that shouldn't result in a firing. But if we're nowhere close to the expectations the program has been pushing for the past two weeks? Say being ranked 24th, 3rd in the league, losing in the second round as a 6-seed, and generally not being close to the team we were projected to be 5 days ago? Then the accountability should result in a firing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
...I'd hand Wojo a gym bag with unmarked bills and say "go get Kerry Blackshear".

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »

Don't see how you could get rid of Wojo at that point.

The tournament is everything. A Sweet 16 or better next year, regardless of what happened before it, and Wojo is more than safe.

Winning the conference is a great achievement but beyond that it really doesn't matter if you come in 2nd or 5th, as long as you make the tournament and get to the 2nd weekend. I could give a rat's @ss about rankings during the season. We were ranked 10th for a decent amount of time this season and look what that ended up doing for us. It was fun in the moment but it ultimately meant nothing.

There are only 2 real goals in college basketball:
-Make the NCAA tournament
-Win games once you are there
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:07:46 AM by Coleman »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »

The tournament is everything. A Sweet 16 or better next year, regardless of what happened before it, and Wojo is more than safe.

Winning the conference is a great achievement but beyond that it really doesn't matter if you come in 2nd or 5th, as long as you make the tournament and get to the 2nd weekend. I could give a rat's @ss about rankings during the season. We were ranked 10th for a decent amount of time this season and look what that ended up doing for us. It was fun in the moment but it ultimately meant nothing.

In order to get to the NCAAs, there are a lot of major goals that have to be met.  Getting to the NCAAs is really the result of meeting all those goals.  Think you have the cart before the horse here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
...I'd hand Wojo a gym bag with unmarked bills and say "go get Kerry Blackshear".

+1.  You have Will Wade, Bill Self, Sean Miller, and Bruce Pearl all remaining in their positions despite the FBI having proof that their programs cheated under their watch.  The NCAA isn't going to do anything.  It's time to start leveling the playing field and play ball.

Not to mention, you won't have yourself an employee for very long if you sit him down and start a conversation that goes into, "You're getting fired unless you..."  Either the employee fails to meet your list of expectations and you fire them (or you whimp out and don't) or he is a very successful employee and he finds somewhere else that will appreciate his work without a bullet point list of expectations you're required to meet.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
In order to get to the NCAAs, there are a lot of major goals that have to be met.  Getting to the NCAAs is really the result of meeting all those goals.  Think you have the cart before the horse here.

Not really. You don't have to win the conference to make the tournament. You don't have to be ranked. You don't have to beat a top 10 team. You don't have to win a preseason tournament. All of these arbitrary "goals" are meaningless.

You just have to, in total, be one of the top 40 (or so) programs in college basketball, measured in a variety of different ways.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
If the criteria is as written in the OP .. the failure possibility is 100% and they should look for a new coach immediately, not in 12 months.

The only way it makes sense to keep Wojo employed through April is if you slash your expectations. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 11:13:37 AM »
Personally, that's not good enough. It may seem contradictory, but from my perspective, the need to meet next year's pre-Hauser news expectations went up this week, not down. If the Hausers come back and we are slightly better than last year, fringe top-25, 4-seed, win a game or two in the NCAAs, it's disappointing but you accept it and move on.

This situation is of Wojo's creation. There is no other way to view it. If the problem was Markus' usage, that was Wojo's system. If you think the problem was team chemistry, Wojo recruited these guys. If you think the problem was Hauser selfishness, again, Wojo brought them in. Ultimately, whatever led to this week's transfers lays at Wojo's feet because it was his job to assemble this team and keep the team member happy once they were on campus.

Wojo created the expectation of a top-10 team & Wojo was overseeing the program whose Twitter account spent the past two weeks retweeting every top-10 projection for Marquette, reinforcing to the fanbase that a top-10 team & all the accolades & results that accompany such a lofty position is what we should expect for next year. In that regard, nothing has changed & if anything, it only became more important that the team we put on the court deliver the results Wojo & the program have been pushing out to the fanbase since the 2018-19 season ended.

I agree there needs to be flexibility. If we finish 3rd in the AP Poll, win the Big East, make a BET title game, earn a 1-seed, and lose on a buzzer beater to an 8-seed, that shouldn't result in a firing. But if we're nowhere close to the expectations the program has been pushing for the past two weeks? Say being ranked 24th, 3rd in the league, losing in the second round as a 6-seed, and generally not being close to the team we were projected to be 5 days ago? Then the accountability should result in a firing.

No program is going to fire a coach that got a team to the Elite 8.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
1. The AD has a better understanding of what has transpired with this team than anyone on this board. So he is in a better position to react rationally and manage the situation. For all we know, Wojo handled this all properly and the AD is happy with his handling of the situation. Or, the AD thinks Wojo blew this, and has given him more direction and a rope to either save himself, or hang himeself, depending on what Wojo does now.

2. The AD is always planning contingencies. Any AD has a list of several names as potential targets for a new coach.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »
As I said on the Scrambled Eggs podcast, expectations of what should happen can't change because this is an issue of Wojo's making (willful or not). Whatever the expectations are prior to the Hauser exodus remain in place, and if he doesn't meet them he gowne. Part of those expectations are that the program is on a stable to climbing trajectory from a talent/performance standpoint. You give him this year to achieve those and if he doesn't, we move on.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »

No program is going to fire a coach that got a team to the Elite 8.

It doesn't have to be that black and white. You don't have to fire that coach, but you can still make a change. Encourage them to look around some more, be willing to lower the buyout, and acknowledge that NCAA results are not the end-all. If this team goes 19-13, 6th in the league, wins a game in Dayton as an 11, and gets to the Elite 8 after beating a 6, 14, and 10, is that something we're clamoring for an extension over?

I'm not looking at any one result. I think you lay out your goals as criteria & if most of them are not met, you do what you have to do to wipe the slate clean and start over. There's more than one way to do that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
I agree that these things are never so rigid as we want them to be.  But you're describing my nightmare scenario. A coach that always does just enough to stay but never enough to prove he belongs. I don't think scoop can handle any more years of that

If the Bold is True, then the answer seems simple.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 11:20:49 AM »
It doesn't have to be that black and white. You don't have to fire that coach, but you can still make a change. Encourage them to look around some more, be willing to lower the buyout, and acknowledge that NCAA results are not the end-all. If this team goes 19-13, 6th in the league, wins a game in Dayton as an 11, and gets to the Elite 8 after beating a 6, 14, and 10, is that something we're clamoring for an extension over?

The narrative is going to be that Wojo overcame the loss of two of his top stars to lead a team to the Elite 8.  Like it or not, the press and fanbases put a great deal of emphasis on tournament results over the regular season.  Yeah you would pretty much have to extend him at that point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »

I'm not looking at any one result. I think you lay out your goals as criteria & if most of them are not met, you do what you have to do to wipe the slate clean and start over. There's more than one way to do that.

No, Fluffy is right. Firing and/or pushing out a coach after an Elite 8 run not only is exceptionally unlikely barring a cheating scandal, but it tells every other decent coaching candidate out there to stay away. What coach with options is going to want to come to a program like Marquette that says an Elite 8 falls short of expectations?

Moreover, if Wojo can get this roster as currently assembled into an Elite 8, it says his coaching chops are far beyond what most of us here believe.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »

I don't need a million excuses on why the Hauser's left. However, you need to know this is not a good look for Marquette basketball. Secondly, The best way to get past all of this is to win games next year, and next year's expectations don't change - you don't get to use the Hauser's departure as a crutch/excuse if things don't go well. We hired you to continue the tradition of Marquette basketball excellence.  It will be year 6 we expect the following.

After the conversation takes place, I would also enact my plan B and start working all of my connections to figure out who our next coach could be in 12 months.
Your Plan B would be Plan A, because if you do that and Wojo is gone after next season.  If he fails to meet the goals you fire him and if he does meet the goals he leaves on his own.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
If the criteria is as written in the OP .. the failure possibility is 100% and they should look for a new coach immediately, not in 12 months.

The only way it makes sense to keep Wojo employed through April is if you slash your expectations.

The problem is, this administration is so in love with Wojo, I'm not sure anything short of an FBI investigation gets him fired, as sad as that is. Cuz now what's going to happen is...they will make the tournament, win a game and they will think "what a great job he did with all the adversity etc etc". that's what I'm expecting unfortunately.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
No, Fluffy is right. Firing and/or pushing out a coach after an Elite 8 run not only is exceptionally unlikely barring a cheating scandal, but it tells every other decent coaching candidate out there to stay away. What coach with options is going to want to come to a program like Marquette that says an Elite 8 falls short of expectations?

+1. For me, this is the most under discussed aspect of the Wojo conversation. We get in all kinds of fights about the "level" of MU's basketball program, and how it competes for coaches and talent vs other schools. But that's an extraordinarily fluid thing if you aren't UNC or Kentucky, and often depends on the structures and people in charge at any given time.

Sure, MU is a far better basketball tradition than places like Alabama and Va Tech that replaced coaches this year. But the resources allocated to men's basketball will continue to grow, especially at big $$ football power conference schools.  You bring a new AD to a middle tier SEC, Big 12, ACC school who emphasizes mens BB, and I guarantee you most of those schools have the coffers to compete with what MU can offer. So there's something to be said for keeping a coach long enough to be able to tell future candidates weighing the MU job "Hey, we clearly did all we could and gave the last guy more than a fair shake - but there's no real debate it just didn't work out." Sure, you have to be demanding, and we all want this program to be successful.  But you can't let your high opinion of yourself throw up red flags for the next guy that's going to be weighing your offer that's likely to be competitive on $ vs places like Miami (FL), NC St, Oklahoma State, etc. etc that have conference affiliation, climate, and other competitive advantages MU doesn't.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »

Give this Man a Cigar, make that a box.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »

The narrative is going to be that Wojo overcame the loss of two of his top stars to lead a team to the Elite 8.  Like it or not, the press and fanbases put a great deal of emphasis on tournament results over the regular season.  Yeah you would pretty much have to extend him at that point.

Coaches leave all the time after tourney runs. If you wait a week to get that extension done, which you absolutely would if you were one of the last teams in the field, that's more than enough time for another high-major to come in and let him get hired away.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »

I have always been fascinated by the everything is about the tournament crowd, and need to make the 2nd weekend/Sweet 16 or bust.  Agreed that nobody remembers who was ranked top 10 the week of January 15th, 2014.  But without looking it up can you tell me who made it to the 2nd weekend of the 2014 NCAA tournament, or who made it to the sweet 16 of the 2014 tournament?  Hell, name all the teams that made it to the 2nd weekend or sweet 16 of this years tournament.
Ultimately it is all irrelevant and these fan goals for teams are just stupid, and putting conditions in place for a coach that require them to make the sweet 16 or be fired are just not based in any sort of real world scenario

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »
I have always been fascinated by the everything is about the tournament crowd, and need to make the 2nd weekend/Sweet 16 or bust.  Agreed that nobody remembers who was ranked top 10 the week of January 15th, 2014.  But without looking it up can you tell me who made it to the 2nd weekend of the 2014 NCAA tournament, or who made it to the sweet 16 of the 2014 tournament?  Hell, name all the teams that made it to the 2nd weekend or sweet 16 of this years tournament.
Ultimately it is all irrelevant and these fan goals for teams are just stupid, and putting conditions in place for a coach that require them to make the sweet 16 or be fired are just not based in any sort of real world scenario

Tournament success matters to recruits.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
Coaches leave voluntarily all the time after tourney runs. If you wait a week to get that extension done, which you absolutely would if you were one of the last teams in the field, that's more than enough time for another high-major to come in and let him get hired away.

FTFY.
What you were suggesting is that Wojo be outright fired or gently nudged out the door.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
Tournament success matters to recruits.

exactly.  VCU was in the first four in 2010, do you remember how they did during the season?  How about MU in 2011?  Ranked in the top 25? Conference champs?  Conference tourney run? How did Virginia do in 2018? #1 seed, #1 ranking, ACC regular and tourney champs.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »
Sorry guys but this team is now a last 4 in type of roster or a high powered NIT team. 
Lost too much and not adding enough. 

Best bet would be to hire some good JUCO guys like the coach that earned his keep for the most part before wojo.

But at least we will keep getting "good kids" that "represent the university well" with wojo that will transfer out of a top 5 predicted ranked team because they couldn't put their cods up on the table when it was time to deliver. 

I don't know what more opportunity to show something sam and joey wanted without a true PG to run an offense.   Joey can barely start a drive without traveling anyways.  They were getting a potentially solid PG next year and bailed. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »

Sounds like plan b is really plan a.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
Who says there are any expectations?

Have you seen Lovell, Scholl or Broecker ever talk expectations?

I see a lot of RTing of friendly tweets but no one has even talked about losing the 1st Family of MU hoops, or talked about the 1-6 finish, or talked about getting jobbed vs Seton Hall.  It's like everything is fine.  And it's like they forget they have a few thousand season ticket holders + benefactors who pay the bills.

Now maybe they're working the phones and keeping the Visionary & Platinum level folks happy but you need to address the rest eventually and that hasn't been done at all.  It seems like they are all OK with what has transpired.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:09:47 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
Who says there are any expectations?

Have you seen Lovell, Scholl or Broecker every talk expectations?

Yes

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »
Yes

Beyond generalities like high competitive? 

And has anyone heard from anyone besides since we went 1-6 and lost two starters? 

I'd be happy with one of them going ballistic on the Big East for the Seton Hall reffing situation.  Any sort of fire would look good.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »

+1.  It will be pretty obvious for us wojo supporters by next year if he needs to go.  Firing him after Buzz like year (his best NCAA wise actually) is not one of them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 01:24:03 PM »

And has anyone heard from anyone besides since we went 1-6 and lost two starters? 

I'd be happy with one of them going ballistic on the Big East for the Seton Hall reffing situation.  Any sort of fire would look good.

You want the president of Marquette University to have a public tizzy over the officiating of a college basketball game?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »

Very good. Only thing to be added, when he sits Wojo down  he should say "feel that blow torch under your ass? Well son, it will be a hand grenade under your ass if you do not perform as follows
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »
You want the president of Marquette University to have a public tizzy over the officiating of a college basketball game?
I’d rather he do that than post another self indulgent photo of himself.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »

if he does then does he then offer to reverse the outcome of the Creighton game since there were two errors on Joey's game tying shot?

You and I are probably in the same camp that this isn't an area for the President of any university to get involved.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 01:36:33 PM »
+1

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »
Let's face it, everybody sets goals. Our companies do. Government does. Families do. Basketball teams are no different.

AD to Wojo: "You're a Top 10 team on paper with the Hausers. You find their replacement so we do not lose a step."

AD to Wojo: "Let me repeat myself just so we're clear. Top 10 team in 2019-2020. Period. Make it happen!"

Wojo to AD: "But.....uhhh..."

AD to Wojo: "When s*it happens, you find the treatment plant and get rid of it. When dumpster fires explode, you're the fire department that has to put it out and get the dumpster ready to take on more trash.

"When two nationally heralded basketball players leave for other pastures, your job is to replace 25 points a game and develop the depth necessary to spell them.

"If you don't, then next year's conversation won't be pleasant."

Wojo to AD: "That's easier said than done..."

AD to Wojo: "What did you say I was paying you ... you think that's for tiddly winks?"

Wojo to AD: "but.....

AD to Wojo: "That will be all, Mr. Wojo."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 01:42:20 PM »

A little fire from ANYONE would go a long ways in reassuring the fanbase that no one is satisfied.  And I would make the Seton Hall refs the scapegoat to vent some frustration bc gaslighting your coach in public is probably not a good look.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:47:40 PM by The Lens »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 01:47:48 PM »

- Win the Big East
- Compete for national championships

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 01:48:08 PM »
Yeah....firing a coach....or encouraging one to leave after earning a 5 seed and making the Elite Eight is not realistic.

Let's pretend for a moment that Bruce Pearl ran a clean program. There were plenty of projections that had them as top 10 (or higher) before Mustapha Heron transferred. Hell, they were still preseason top 10 predictions after he transferred. You're really going to tell me that Pearl should have been fired because he earned a 5 seed instead of finishing in the top 10?

Maybe if it was a lower seed like 8-10 range, I could agree. But being finishing top 20 instead of top 10 can be forgiven by a deep tournament run.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
MU AD does post-season interviews with each student athlete led usually by the staff member(s) responsible for each sport. This goes into the evaluation of the coaching staff.  TAMU or other pros here can elaborate on the details.

MU has a very professional athletics staff.  To think they have their head in the sand is a bad assumption.  To think they are going to fire a coach at every problem or loss is also amiss.  That wouldn't lead to a very stable department and long-term success would be at risk.

As to the Hausers and Wojo...Wojo is a systems coach who fits players into his system.  Buzz would fit his players into a system that increased the chances to win (Midgets).

Both are flexible but for players, it depends on fit. For Wojo and the Hausers, the flex was broken. To most on here, it seemed solvable.  It wasn't in the end.

Wojo is certainly on the ticker but a coach is always on one.  But, he also has a track record good and bad. His clock certainly just got sped up.  His grad transfer recruitment is key in these next few weeks.

To the Hausers, good luck.  We all enjoyed and appreciated your talents. Lots of great memories.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:28:54 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 02:19:13 PM »
MU AD does post-season interviews with each student athlete led usually by the staff member(s) responsible for each sport. This goes into the evaluation of the coaching staff.  TAMU or other pros here can elaborate on the details.

I've never heard of doing it with every student-athlete but rather just those departing (transfer or graduating).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
I assume you mean if he does 1,2,4, and 5. and if we make that assumption then we should be at least a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament and odds should be in our favor that the scenario above does not play out.

Yes, I got the order mixed up, but you got the point.

Being a 3-seed guarantees nothing. As a 3-seed, we came within a miracle of losing to Davidson in 2013 and within a whisker in 2003 of losing to both Holy Cross and Missouri. And the latter team had the greatest player ever to walk through the door. Lots and lots of 3 seeds have lost.

Otherwise, I've enjoyed reading the many posts, including those who think any coach would/should get fired after an Elite 8 run.

I also think it's moot because I doubt Scholl will outline that kind of list of demands. If he did, I agree with what 'topper said: Might as well just fire him today and bring in Matta, Wardle, Stan or a high school coach.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »
Sorry guys but this team is now a last 4 in type of roster or a high powered NIT team. 
Lost too much and not adding enough. 

Best bet would be to hire some good JUCO guys like the coach that earned his keep for the most part before wojo.

But at least we will keep getting "good kids" that "represent the university well" with wojo that will transfer out of a top 5 predicted ranked team because they couldn't put their cods up on the table when it was time to deliver. 

I don't know what more opportunity to show something sam and joey wanted without a true PG to run an offense.   Joey can barely start a drive without traveling anyways.  They were getting a potentially solid PG next year and bailed.

Finally found something to comment on, and agree with.
And don't forget our favorite son, Henry Ellenson.
Always good PR for MU to win the recruiting wars in Wisconsin.
National or International Universities always recruit well in places like Wisconsin. 
We don't want any international players or low life Texas player around our sanctimonious program, now do we?
I'm almont ready to become a Seton Hall fan.  Hell, I live in N.J. most of the time and can pick up season tickets and not have to deal with this Scoop nonsense.
The way I see it, Wojo got played AGAIN. 

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
I'm almont ready to become a Seton Hall fan.  Hell, I live in N.J. most of the time and can pick up season tickets and not have to deal with this Scoop nonsense.

Are you under the impression that reading Scoop is mandatory to become a Marquette fan?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 03:13:03 PM »
I'm almont ready to become a Seton Hall fan.

See ya!

Stay well and have a good life.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 03:42:01 PM »

Maybe I'm in the minority but if we made the Elite 8, even that way, I'd be relatively happy with the result.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »

Can I tell you every team in the 2nd weekend in 2014? No.

But I can tell you every time Marquette has been in the 2nd weekend since I have been alive (answer is five times, BTW: 1994, 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013). It means a hell of a lot. Much more than how high we were ranked in a given year.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:02:10 PM by Coleman »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
If I'm Bill Scholl ...

I definitely check the interwebs to see what a bunch of anonymous folks are speculating about.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 04:14:23 PM »
If I'm Bill Scholl ...

I definitely check the interwebs to see what a bunch of anonymous folks are speculating about.
Im sure his email box is full of messages alluding to that.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »

In this scenario, regardless of outcome, you are looking for a new coach. If you give me this and I am successful at it I use it to find a better job. To me this a  Cuonzo Martin scenario, your loyalty me will always be what have you done for me lately.

If I fail, I am out so I am looking anyway.

Also the last time MU played in the Finals of Conf tournament was 2002 and the last time they won was 1997 so now he is being held to a higher standard than previous coaches achieved just to keep his job.

The conversation I would have with Wojo would be avoid brothers. This is the second bad outcome involving brothers and if you don’t keep them both happy you lose them both.

I would then work with him to mend fences with the fan base. What can he do to be more accessible, engaging and seen as a positive choice. I realize there are will many who never gave him a chance or will give a chance but focus on what he can do to get fans to believe they are part of the solution. 

Every one of our coaches lost key players to transfer let’s not measure that but what are the KPIs that show incremental improvement and show continuity of that trend.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 06:23:47 PM »
+1.  It will be pretty obvious for us wojo supporters by next year if he needs to go.  Firing him after Buzz like year (his best NCAA wise actually) is not one of them.
Things should be pretty obvious to you Wojo slurpers already, but when the old head is in the sand, not too much is obvious.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 10:09:13 PM »
Im sure his email box is full of messages alluding to that.

Easily handled by him (or his administrative assistant): Delete, delete, delete, delete, delete, delete ...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2019, 10:35:10 PM »

Marquette has decided that social media is a key component of their differentiation strategy. MU isn't all over social media by accident; it's by design. As a result, the President of Marquette should be leading by example on social media.

I'm telling you this in case you'd like to give Lovell the benefit of the doubt on his self-indulgent photos.

For the record, Marquette has also decided that Basketball is a key component of their differentiation strategy.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:58 PM »
Marquette has decided that social media is a key component of their differentiation strategy. MU isn't all over social media by accident; it's by design. As a result, the President of Marquette should be leading by example on social media.

I'm telling you this in case you'd like to give Lovell the benefit of the doubt on his self-indulgent photos.

For the record, Marquette has also decided that Basketball is a key component of their differentiation strategy.

https://twitter.com/mikebroeker/status/1094744199700844544
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/mikebroeker/status/1094744199700844544

Posted right after the Villanova win. Probably the high point of the season.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2019, 05:42:45 AM »

Using social media is a no brainer. Weekly pictures of our President in his Lululemon gear seems unnecessary.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2019, 05:46:41 AM »
Nightmare

Our President does get a lot of air time. If I did not know better, I would think he was a professional marathon runner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2019, 06:40:32 AM »
I love seeing “slurper”.  That’s a winning argument IMO
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NickelDimer

• All American
No Finish Line

feedback