[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: All my UVA friends believe they are getting hausers  (Read 9293 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: All my UVA friends believe they are getting hausers
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
Badger media are acting like it’s a done deal to UW.

That's what they do.  Remember how shocked Badger Media was when Herro decommitted, when Vander decommitted, when Wesley Matthews and Ellenson chose MU? 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »
Badger media are acting like it’s a done deal to UW.

Could be, wouldn’t surprise anyone.  That said, Herro decommiting was widely known for a long time before he did and they kept saying that wasn’t the case.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 09:11:56 AM »
I think they're going to UW but don't want to announce until the semester ends and they get off campus.  I think the only reason they floated MSU or UVA is because those were the two "runners up" for each of the two brothers. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
I think they're going to UW but don't want to announce until the semester ends and they get off campus.  I think the only reason they floated MSU or UVA is because those were the two "runners up" for each of the two brothers.

Reasonable theory. 

It would be ironic for them to go to Wisconsin. Happ basically became a one man show last year, poor team offense,  a very vocal #FireGard crowd, flamed out down the stretch, blown out by a 12 seed.  A lot of similarities to Marquette's season.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »
Reasonable theory. 

It would be ironic for them to go to Wisconsin. Happ basically became a one man show last year, poor team offense,  a very vocal #FireGard crowd, flamed out down the stretch, blown out by a 12 seed.  A lot of similarities to Marquette's season.

It is similar. Easier to think you can be a hero on the other side of the street when you don't see their warts up close.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »
Reasonable theory. 

Great point.

One could argue that Gard at least dealt with a big problem (Happ's FT shooting) by benching his star while Wojo didn't deal with Markus' gunning. But in the end, the result was the exact same.

Of course, in the non-con, the result was Wojo beating Gard. Again. (I know previous wins were over Bo, but Gard was the top asst.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
Great point.

One could argue that Gard at least dealt with a big problem (Happ's FT shooting) by benching his star while Wojo didn't deal with Markus' gunning. But in the end, the result was the exact same.

Of course, in the non-con, the result was Wojo beating Gard. Again. (I know previous wins were over Bo, but Gard was the top asst.)

Really?

Happ's last 5 games: 30-39-20-33-33
Markus' last 5 games: 28-31-30-33-33

Looks pretty similar to me....

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
Great point.

FT shooting was only one of Happ's problems.  A high usage, throw the ball to Happ isolation offense,  everyone else stand around and watch him dribble game plan.  Sound familiar?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 10:07:28 AM »
He has a polished mid range game.  He was very good using his pivot foot to find space near the lane or finish up and under.  He has good vision. 

He was loose with the ball and he played brainless at times...but he was also a freshman.  He won't ever have Zion athleticism, but his offensive game already had a lot of polish for his age and he had a couple of scoring explosions that made you say "whoa".  His decision making and defense will come along with proper coaching.
Fair points, I just don't ever see him being the focal point of an offense. I can see teams being really physical with him now too because of that lack of athleticism and tendency to cower with contact.

Now, granted, he was a freshman so he can certainly improve, and drastically, in some areas, but I'm not on the Goose train.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »
Now that Virginia won it all.  Recruiting has gotten a lot easier for them.

So, if you're Tony Bennett and you're talking to two bluechip HS juniors (seniors next year), as in the one or two and done caliber ... do you take them or pass and take the Hausers and have them sit a year and get one year out of Sam?

Ditto Michigan State.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »
FT shooting was only one of Happ's problems.  A high usage, throw the ball to Happ isolation offense,  everyone else stand around and watch him dribble game plan.  Sound familiar?

But he got benched at the end of games, or at the least subbed out on offense in the final couple minutes of close games, because Gard couldn't afford to have a 40% FT shooter on the court.

Really?

Happ's last 5 games: 30-39-20-33-33
Markus' last 5 games: 28-31-30-33-33

Looks pretty similar to me....

Good stats, but not sure how that counters my previous statement.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
But he got benched at the end of games, or at the least subbed out on offense in the final couple minutes of close games, because Gard couldn't afford to have a 40% FT shooter on the court.

Good stats, but not sure how that counters my previous statement.

Your original statement (to which I was replying) was that "Gard at least dealt with a big problem (Happ's FT shooting) by benching his star," so showing total mpg is totally relevant. You're now changing that by saying he simply was "subbing out on offense in the final couple minutes of close games." Playing offense-for-defense is quite different from simply "benching" someone.

So yeah, it did counter your original statement.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »

Happ Usage:  34.9% of possessions, 31.7% of shots. FT Rate: 33.2. UW OE Team rank:  62nd.

Markus Usage:  36.1% of possessions, 36.7% of shots.  FT Rate: 42.5.  MU OE Team rank: 32nd.

Both dominated their offenses. Markus took way too many shots.  The Hausers, especially Sam, made MU the better offense. That said, the biggest issue for MU was that Wojo didn't have any one on the roster to take the ball out of MH's hands.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »

A small adjustment but one I'll give Gard credit for.  However, I don't think Gard fixed any of the larger offensive issues.   If you disagree,  fine.  I'm certainly not going spend anymore energy debating it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 10:50:41 AM »
Happ Usage:  34.9% of possessions, 31.7% of shots. FT Rate: 33.2. UW OE Team rank:  62nd.

Markus Usage:  36.1% of possessions, 36.7% of shots.  FT Rate: 42.5.  MU OE Team rank: 32nd.

Both dominated their offenses. Markus took way too many shots.  The Hausers, especially Sam, made MU the better offense. That said, the biggest issue for MU was that Wojo didn't have any one on the roster to take the ball out of MH's hands.

Yep. People calling Markus "selfish" are ignoring two important things: (1) Markus has never been a great passer, and doesn't have great vision at 5'11"; and (2) the Hausers aren't great at creating their own shots. Given those factors, the choice was often Markus shooting or trying a pass against a 6'5" long-armed defender.

Wojo thought he had that solved with Chartouny, but it didn't work out. That's his bad. But for next season he has Koby, who seems to be a significant step up.

Is the Hausers' leaving an indication that they don't have faith in Koby to be any better than Chartouny? If not, they may be missing the bigger picture - that Wojo did the best he could w/o a reliable PG, and that they would have had more looks with a (supposedly) much better PG next season.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 11:11:57 AM »
If the Hausers end up at UW (I don't know if it's happening, but there is a lot of smoke out there), I think it may be more of a situation where they and their family have always preferred or "dreamed of" playing at Wisconsin. 

A lot of time has now passed since Sam was ignored out of HS by Bo, so maybe grudges are now gone.  Their buddy and family friend Trevor Anderson is there, Sam's GF is there, they know other guys on the team, etc... Add in the speculated frustration with Howard/Wojo and they may have just decided, screw it we're going there.

It may be painful for us to acknowledge that but I think that may be more of a deciding factor than the "style of play" and "what gets me prepared for the NBA stuff" being discussed here.  The basketball stuff is definitely part of it, but I think many here are over analyzing that. 

They are good basketball players and can be successful pretty much anywhere in the country.  It may be simply they think they'll enjoy life & basketball more somewhere else (in this case, speculating UW).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:14:49 AM by GrimmReaper33 »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
I think if you are expected to be a starter at Va. and/or Wisc. there is no question It is Va. If you expect to be a role player at Va. then Madison.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵