[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The 2014 hiring of Wojo has indelibly marred the reputation of this program...  (Read 26053 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Change my mind

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
its true,  we have full blown DePaul level regression coming our way. 

At least we can hope for a performance like Loyola once every 100 years with the help of an elderly nun praying the rosary 100 times a day for us to win. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
I can not

NickelDimer

• All American
Never liked this hire at any point from when it was announced through 4/15/19
No Finish Line

Its DJOver

• All American
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/indelibly

"making marks than cannot be erased, removed, or the like"

Programs can, and do rebuild after bad hires.  If you had told someone at the end of the Dukiet era that we'd be in a SS with 5 years they'd have told you that you were crazy.  One bad decision does not prevent good decisions from happening in the future.  Wanna know who the head coach was at Virginia before Bennett?

jutaw22mu

• All American
We need to own that bad decision and get rid of him now before he causes any more damage.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
Wojo will be gone within 12 months, book it. 
If the hausers go to Madison he should be immediately fired. 

The heir apparent to coach K??? loses two starters to greg freaking gard ???????  Pack the bags if that happens we should cut ties immediately.   The program will be worse off than the buzz era exit but he aint the one.  Gonna be a long time before we ever are competitive again.

Silent Verbal

• All American
We need to own that bad decision and get rid of him now before he causes any more damage.

I agree with this analysis.  Get one of the assistants to be an interim, call next year a wash in terms of both on the court play and recruiting, and then bring in a guy like Rick Barnes (not him, obviously, but someone like him) who has a proven track record of being able to win anywhere he goes.

Wojo is a dead man walking.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
its true,  we have full blown DePaul level regression coming our way. 

4everwarriors

• All American
Wojo is toast, one way or another.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBBau

• Team Captain
This board sucks

MU82

• All American
I was hoping we'd start another thread on how bad Wojo is, has been and always will be.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Wojo is toast, one way or another.

I think this is correct.  My guess is that even after a successful year, he may bolt elsewhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
I’m not sure about “indelibly marred” but next year is gonna be one bizarre season. The tone of the entire year has already been set. There’s zero chance of it being anything other than awkward and will likely be a total dumpster fire.

I seriously think Sam H was one of the most popular players Marquette has had in a number of years. I’m not a Howard fan, but he’s in a no win situation. He’ll set the all time scoring record to polite applause because his style of play ran off two very good players.

That record will stand for a good long time and serve as a constant reminder of this situation.

RJax55

• All American
I’m not sure about “indelibly marred” but next year is gonna be one bizarre season. The tone of the entire year has already been set. There’s zero chance of it being anything other than awkward and will likely be a total dumpster fire.

I seriously think Sam H was one of the most popular players Marquette has had in a number of years. I’m not a Howard fan, but he’s in a no win situation. He’ll set the all time scoring record to polite applause because his style of play ran off two very good players.

That record will stand for a good long time and serve as a constant reminder of this situation.

It is going to be a weird season, no doubt. Plus, Wojo has shown to be pretty thin-skinned at times. How's he going to react with the heat really on?

From a basketball point-of-view, MU just lost their entire floor spacing with the Hausers leaving. That's huge. Now, coaches won't think twice to have their entire defense collapse on Markus when he drives.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
The writing was on the wall during the tailspin and especially after the Murray State game, but many Scoopers simply refused to read it. I was surprised at the number of Scoopers (several of whom I have great respect for) being willing to put the meltdown portion of the season in a blender along with the 23-4 portion and declare that their pre season expectations were met. It's as if they were saying  "Nothing to see here. Move on."

I was nervous before the Murray State game but thought the team would pull through and win, even though there were good reasons to doubt it. Then I saw Wojo's asinine "PLAY ANGRY" speech in the locker room and lost all confidence in a win.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:00:19 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

4everwarriors

• All American
Stupidest advice to give. Who does anything well when they are angry.

I'd rather go with "be quick, but don't hurry," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
I'll just say what I say to all Wojo detractors, "Replace Wojo with whom, exactly?

Wojo isn't going anywhere. I get he's the leader of the ship, but you can't control every decision by others.
We Are Marquette

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
If our pool of candidates after Buzz Williams (who went to five NCAA Tournaments, two Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight) was Shaka Smart, Cuonzo Martin, Ben Howland and Wojo, which experienced and successful head coach would the school be able to attract after five years of two NCAA appearances and zero tournament wins? 

We would be, once again, looking at hiring an up-and-coming assistant or a head coach from a lower level league.  In either case, we would be hitting the reset button in a less-than-ideal time for coaching searches.

tower912

• All American
This may be the tipping point.    And the irony would be that he was done in by having too many good players returning.    And that having a BEPOY/Second team AA ended up harming the team long term.     And Wojo's coaching career.    And led to a free fall due to the inevitable rebuild.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
I'll just say what I say to all Wojo detractors, "Replace Wojo with whom, exactly?

Wojo isn't going anywhere. I get he's the leader of the ship, but you can't control every decision by others.
Literally anyone.  This type of mediocrity is incredibly dangerous.

RJax55

• All American
This may be the tipping point.    And the irony would be that he was done in by having too many good players returning.    And that having a BEPOY/Second team AA ended up harming the team long term.     And Wojo's coaching career.    And led to a free fall due to the inevitable rebuild.

The worst thing that can happen to coach is to lose your team. There's going to be times when the opponent is simply more talented, more experienced or even better coached. That happens.

But, for experienced team to blow-up (and that's exactly what has happened since mid-Feb.) and implode is sad to watch.

Again, this has been mentioned, but what exactly did Wojo take away from his years on the Duke bench? Managing talent, managing egos, expectations, playing time, etc., is what Coach K has been doing successfully for years.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:39:02 PM by RJax55 »

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
If our pool of candidates after Buzz Williams (who went to five NCAA Tournaments, two Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight) was Shaka Smart, Cuonzo Martin, Ben Howland and Wojo, which experienced and successful head coach would the school be able to attract after five years of two NCAA appearances and zero tournament wins? 

We would be, once again, looking at hiring an up-and-coming assistant or a head coach from a lower level league.  In either case, we would be hitting the reset button in a less-than-ideal time for coaching searches.

Under the current administration, Marquette has focused on one thing......THE MISSION....and they have put that above all else.  It's ironic that the first lay president in history seems to care far more about THE MISSION than any of his Jesuit predecessors but that is the direction they're taking the institution as a whole, not just the basketball program, so as long as the current administration remains the same, they will not hire anyone that is not 100% committed to THE MISSION or who's values they don't believe are aligned with it. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
Literally anyone.  This type of mediocrity is incredibly dangerous.

Literally anyone would mean, literally, even you or me.

Moot point. Wojo’s not leaving anytime soon. MU admins not thrilled with Hausers. Not a lot of heat on Wojo.
We Are Marquette

jutaw22mu

• All American

They can replace him with me.  While I haven't coached much basketball, I have coached soccer and, coaching is coaching.  I will take 1/10th the salary and actually coach the team.   It can't be too hard.  Unlike Wojo, I actually have a functioning brain.

feedback