[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Goodbye McCormick Hall......New "hotel"/dorm ideas....  (Read 41783 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Goodbye McCormick Hall......New "hotel"/dorm ideas....
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »
My understanding is Wehr Life Sciences is going to be replaced as part of the master plan.  That is where the BioDiversity building is going to go.  And that is a good idea since it is the oldest of the three science buildings.  Wehr Physics and Chemistry are going to be renovated.

The problem with Laliemere is that a social science / humanities building can last a long time.  It's just offices and classrooms.  No labs.  No complex infrastructure.  Furthermore, donors aren't usually lining up to build those types of buildings.  It's simply cheaper to keep and renovate rather than replace.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
Lalumier Hall would beg to differ. And no fantastic memories for me in there other than turning in my last final exam as an undergrad.

It is up there for ugly, but tucked into campus and largely out of site.  McCormick on Wisconsin Ave is a focal point, but the other buildings some of the public never sees.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

🏀

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2019, 11:19:55 AM »
It is up there for ugly, but tucked into campus and largely out of site.  McCormick on Wisconsin Ave is a focal point, but the other buildings some of the public never sees.

LaLu does have frontage views from 94. Outside of the law library, that's a tough look at campus. The Old Gym is awesome, but the block ROTC additions absolutely destroy that building.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »
LaLu does have frontage views from 94. Outside of the law library, that's a tough look at campus. The Old Gym is awesome, but the block ROTC additions absolutely destroy that building.

Long term plans are to knock the end off of the Old Gym and turn it into event space, which would be awesome.  Have your wedding at Gesu and then stroll over to where Al made it happen to have your reception.

Also if they haven't hit up Dwyane to pay for this, someone in advancement needs to be fired.
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2019, 11:30:07 AM »
Long term plans are to knock the end off of the Old Gym and turn it into event space, which would be awesome.  Have your wedding at Gesu and then stroll over to where Al made it happen to have your reception.

Also if they haven't hit up Dwyane to pay for this, someone in advancement needs to be fired.

Does MU really have a plan/aspiration to get into the wedding reception business?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
Does MU really have a plan/aspiration to get into the wedding reception business?

They should.  Tons of alumni get married at Gesu and have pictures taken on campus.  Having a nice reception space would be good.  Colleges and universities do this all the time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »

They should.  Tons of alumni get married at Gesu and have pictures taken on campus.  Having a nice reception space would be good.  Colleges and universities do this all the time.

And it's not just wedding receptions.  I am sure there are tons of alumni who would think it was cool to hold corporate events there, and it should be a step up from the AMU ballrooms for nicer Marquette functions.

The beautiful thing about it is that after the upgrades are paid for, there would be very little overhead except for utilities and perhaps an event planner. Every outside booking would make money for the school.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »

My wife asked about getting married at Joan of Arc and was told they didn't do weddings (this was 2002), then when she offered a donation the individual got mad! That would be another great revenue stream. I would have loved to have reduced the size of our guest list by about 150 to have our wedding at Joan of Arc. Gesu was simply too big.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »
My wife asked about getting married at Joan of Arc and was told they didn't do weddings (this was 2002), then when she offered a donation the individual got mad! That would be another great revenue stream. I would have loved to have reduced the size of our guest list by about 150 to have our wedding at Joan of Arc. Gesu was simply too big.

Meetings and conferences are also a big opportunity that can bring business, government, non-profits and academics together.  See the Democratic Convention.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
Lalumier Hall would beg to differ. And no fantastic memories for me in there other than turning in my last final exam as an undergrad.

No way!

Lalumiere is where I met Ms. Dgies. 43 years later, we've been married 39 years and loving every minute of it.

It may be ugly, of questionable functionality, but it's a leftover 1960s building and worth preserving.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2019, 08:08:28 PM »
Meetings and conferences are also a big opportunity that can bring business, government, non-profits and academics together.  See the Democratic Convention.

Considering the hotel shortages already being predicted for the DNC this summer, MU has a great opportunity to make a lot of money renting out the halls and apartments this summer, especially to the youth organizations. It could be a good recruiting opportunity for MU too if there are HS groups coming in (please don't make this political, people!).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2019, 08:11:46 PM »
Considering the hotel shortages already being predicted for the DNC this summer, MU has a great opportunity to make a lot of money renting out the halls and apartments this summer, especially to the youth organizations. It could be a good recruiting opportunity for MU too if there are HS groups coming in (please don't make this political, people!).

I believe they plan to do that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2019, 09:14:42 PM »

From what I’ve heard from kids’ friends who have visited MU, I’m not sure putting potential students in the dorms would be good for recruiting.  ;) Granted, I’m not sure any saw the new dorm.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2019, 07:02:50 AM »
From what I’ve heard from kids’ friends who have visited MU, I’m not sure putting potential students in the dorms would be good for recruiting.  ;) Granted, I’m not sure any saw the new dorm.

Even if you don't count the Commons, Marquette's dorms stack up quite well against those of other schools I have visited. I would take any of Marquette's residence halls against those concrete block towers most state schools have.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2019, 07:44:32 AM »
Even if you don't count the Commons, Marquette's dorms stack up quite well against those of other schools I have visited. I would take any of Marquette's residence halls against those concrete block towers most state schools have.

IMO, MU's dorms are a bit below average compared to most of the dorms in most of the schools that I have visited.  But, I realize that this is probably unfair for a couple of reasons.  First, I haven't been in an MU dorm for many, many years.  I'm sure they have been redone several times.  But, in my experience, another 25+ years of use doesn't generally make dorms more attractive.  This is why I referred to the opinions of my kids' friends who visited and toured MU.  I made a point of it to ask all of them what they thought and specifically how the dorms were (because I really wondered how they had held up since there hadn't been any new dorms in a long time).  The reviews were not good.  Going by our personal experience, most of the dorms at my son's school (Elon) were much nicer than anything I remember at Marquette (although he did spend one year as an RA in one that was pretty bad - worse than anything I recall at MU).  Most of the dorms at Georgetown are a little rough, although she did get a nice one this year.  My daughter's dorm at Purdue is fantastic, but they also have some really old ones that are not nearly as nice.  I've seen a lot of dorms at other schools in the MW and, as I said, I think they were on average nicer than I remember at MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2019, 07:59:28 AM »

Wrong. Which MU dorm has hair and nail salons for women? MU=middle of the road, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2019, 08:01:05 AM »

Agreed vs state schools.

However, vs other small, private universities - in my opinion - MU lags significantly behind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
Agreed vs state schools.

However, vs other small, private universities - in my opinion - MU lags significantly behind.

And way behind on the Athletic Dorms.

I long for the days when Lar-Arz wanted to billet underclass players in McCormick and feed them dorm hash. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2019, 11:51:20 AM »
And way behind on the Athletic Dorms.

I long for the days when Lar-Arz wanted to billet underclass players in McCormick and feed them dorm hash.

I did 10 college tours with my son a few years ago, about to do 5 to 10 with my daughter.  Most of the schools we went to did not have athletic dorms, of course that term is a misnomer now anyway since majority of students have to be regular students.

MU’s dorms were about average compared to others.  Utah’s were awesome, essentially the Olympic village from the Salt Lake games.  Oregon ok, some good some bad.  IU same.  Pitt, same.  Colorado were nice.  Arizona were so so.  LMU a mix of awesome and total crap, etc.  Syracuse, same.  Etc etc
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »
IMO, MU's dorms are a bit below average compared to most of the dorms in most of the schools that I have visited.  But, I realize that this is probably unfair for a couple of reasons.  First, I haven't been in an MU dorm for many, many years.  I'm sure they have been redone several times.  But, in my experience, another 25+ years of use doesn't generally make dorms more attractive.  This is why I referred to the opinions of my kids' friends who visited and toured MU.  I made a point of it to ask all of them what they thought and specifically how the dorms were (because I really wondered how they had held up since there hadn't been any new dorms in a long time).  The reviews were not good.  Going by our personal experience, most of the dorms at my son's school (Elon) were much nicer than anything I remember at Marquette (although he did spend one year as an RA in one that was pretty bad - worse than anything I recall at MU).  Most of the dorms at Georgetown are a little rough, although she did get a nice one this year.  My daughter's dorm at Purdue is fantastic, but they also have some really old ones that are not nearly as nice.  I've seen a lot of dorms at other schools in the MW and, as I said, I think they were on average nicer than I remember at MU.

Ummmm.....you do know that MU opened a brand new state of the art dorm 14 months ago, right?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
Ummmm.....you do know that MU opened a brand new state of the art dorm 14 months ago, right?

Ummmm...you do know that in my initial post on the topic (just two posts above the one you quoted), I acknowledged that I wasn't referring to the new dorm, right?

From context, as Chick acknowledged, it was clear that I was talking about all the other dorms:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:45:30 PM by StillAWarrior »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »
I work in higher education and have visited dozens of campuses and almost always check out the dorms when I'm there (I got my start working in reslife so I have a professional curiosity). Excluding the new Commons, MU is easily in the bottom 10% for dorm quality that I have seen. And I say that as someone who lived on campus for three years and loved it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »
Abbotsford and Straz were great, though not really “flashy.” I’d have to think Humphrey now being a dorm is nice for a dorm. I’d think the Commons are nice. Otherwise mostly garbage from what I’ve been in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
I work in higher education and have visited dozens of campuses and almost always check out the dorms when I'm there (I got my start working in reslife so I have a professional curiosity). Excluding the new Commons, MU is easily in the bottom 10% for dorm quality that I have seen. And I say that as someone who lived on campus for three years and loved it.

+1.  Before the new dorm, McCormick was the newest MU dorm on campus (although many were redone). And, the beer can was supposed to have a twin with all rooms intended as singles. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »
My son did a summer camp at Ripon College and stayed in a dorm. 

That thing was one step above prison cell.

MU is NOT in the bottom 10%.