collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masters 2019  (Read 14887 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Masters 2019
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
Got to the gate at 5:10am.

I'm the extremely visible patron while Tiger hits his third shot.

Green shirt and shorts with a 🍺 in hand?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2019, 07:09:28 PM »
One of the few things in life I am honestly jealous of.     Well done.

yup, this and rickie fowler's girlfirend-well not his girlfriend, but you know what i mean :-[
don't...don't don't don't don't

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
I know this isn’t necessarily the thread for it, but I’d be curious if anyone else had either good caddy stories. I caddied at St. Charles Country Club from 13 through my senior year at MU. Best job I’ve ever had. Phil was biggest name I ever caddied for. Phil talked to Bones far more than me during that round, but experience of a lifetime otherwise. I was on a bag in a foursome with Hal Sutton, and other rounds with Tony Jacklin, Ray Floyd, and Billy Casper. Non tour pros Gene Keady, Dale Tallon, Howard Sudberry. I regularly caddied for Jim Skinner (and his wife Kathy) before he became CEO at McDonalds. Great sense of humor and always tipped very well.

I was one of Tony Jacklin’s only three caddies he would ever take at Concession GC in Bradenton, FL, which will be a future Ryder Cup venue, as it was conceived and named in honor of Jack Nicklaus’s conceded putt to Tony in Ryder Cup lore. He was a decent enough guy, but if someone in our group didn’t respect the golf course, look out! I’m not gonna name names because I can’t remember who was driving the cart that damaged a couple lips of bunkers, but he went off on a group of famous INDY Car drivers who had a mini outing there. They deserved it, though. Zero cart etiquette (they just had to be race car drivers lol). Caddied for Steve Kerr at Conway Farms....US Transportation Secy Sam Skinner at Shoreacres, looped in a group with Brian Urlacher at Sunset Ridge, helped Johnny Miller do a clinic at Sunset (ok, I handed him a club or two lol). A good friend of mine was the regular looper for Michael Jordan at both Wynstone and Glen Flora.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »
Green shirt and shorts with a 🍺 in hand?

Neon? I'm certain I wasn't holding a beer, had an issue brewing about 40 minutes earlier, that, ahem, relieved itself.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2019, 08:36:30 PM »
Neon? I'm certain I wasn't holding a beer, had an issue brewing about 40 minutes earlier, that, ahem, relieved itself.
Is that what the security guy slipped in and tripped Tiger...
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2019, 08:44:00 PM »

I think I inadvertently jinxed you in a previous post......by being envious of the Sawgrass/Pimento Cheese sandwhich weekend.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
I went to Augusta back about 1993.  TV doesn't come close to doing it justice.

You missed Joey LaCava’s 1st win there by one year...he was on the bag for Couples’ GreenJacket in 1992.

I was down there in 1999 for Jose Maria Olazabal’s win, and I am still kicking myself for not getting a bet down on him that year at boxcar odds.  I didn’t place another Masters bet until 2017... it was just too painful to chase....but another Spaniard redeemed me....I had plunked down $100 on Sergio at just short of 35-1.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »
Molinari is the last guy who would buckle under pressure. He continues to chug along.

Remind me not to bring you to the track with me.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »
I was one of Tony Jacklin’s only three caddies he would ever take at Concession GC in Bradenton, FL, which will be a future Ryder Cup venue, as it was conceived and named in honor of Jack Nicklaus’s conceded putt to Tony in Ryder Cup lore. He was a decent enough guy, but if someone in our group didn’t respect the golf course, look out! I’m not gonna name names because I can’t remember who was driving the cart that damaged a couple lips of bunkers, but he went off on a group of famous INDY Car drivers who had a mini outing there. They deserved it, though. Zero cart etiquette (they just had to be race car drivers lol). Caddied for Steve Kerr at Conway Farms....US Transportation Secy Sam Skinner at Shoreacres, looped in a group with Brian Urlacher at Sunset Ridge, helped Johnny Miller do a clinic at Sunset (ok, I handed him a club or two lol). A good friend of mine was the regular looper for Michael Jordan at both Wynstone and Glen Flora.

I can vouch that Jacklin was a jerk.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2019, 10:03:11 PM »
I can vouch that Jacklin was a jerk.

He definitely had his days. Really moody. I think part of it with any aging athlete, but especially a guy like Jacklin, when you realize that your skills, while still serviceable, leave you a shadow of the player you once were. He was so competitive, and if he was playing well he was much easier to be around.

Tony wouldn’t make a very good poker player. When you got to know him, you knew that he knew his own faults and was a decent guy.  I can’t say I disagree with your first impression of him.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2019, 12:23:27 AM »
I know this isn’t necessarily the thread for it, but I’d be curious if anyone else had either good caddy stories. I caddied at St. Charles Country Club from 13 through my senior year at MU. Best job I’ve ever had. Phil was biggest name I ever caddied for. Phil talked to Bones far more than me during that round, but experience of a lifetime otherwise. I was on a bag in a foursome with Hal Sutton, and other rounds with Tony Jacklin, Ray Floyd, and Billy Casper. Non tour pros Gene Keady, Dale Tallon, Howard Sudberry. I regularly caddied for Jim Skinner (and his wife Kathy) before he became CEO at McDonalds. Great sense of humor and always tipped very well.

Funny story about Dale Tallon...he played basically every summer day at Conway Farms when he was a Blackhawks announcer, then much less so when he worked in the Hawks front office. Everybody at Conway loved Dale...he was one of those rare members who didn’t think he was a bit better than the caddies and hired help. Dale somehow also got the greatest paying gig ever when he was named the “head pro” at Highland Park Golf Course. He certainly was a pro, as he regularly beat former Conway pros Todd Sones and Jeff Mory. But his HPGC contract called for him to be on-course basically one day a week. He was nothing more than a high profile figure-head at Highland Park, and paid well for it. Can’t see a municipality having the funds to do that today. So one Monday, he’s at Conway on a day we’re technically closed to member play, he’s trying out some new irons (the guy literally ran a pro shop out of his trunk...he was a real tinkerer...usually 100+ clubs clanking around) and our Caddymaster goes up to him as he’s hitting like ten balls from the tee at the par 3 2nd, testing like 5 sets of irons and Dale goes, “What are you doing here, it’s Monday?” Our Caddymaster goes, “Im teeing it up today, Dale....I just interviewed for the head pro job at Highland Park...it involves a lot of play at Conway Farms.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2019, 06:37:25 AM »
love the stories guys!  can't hold a candle to any of those but saw john daley's first round at the now defunct GMO at tuckaway golf club in franklin, wi. 
   worked the old rainbow springs course in mukwonago-stormin gormin jimmy gantner and the boys would tear it up.  bobby hull once played there-swear to God his swing was just like his slap shot-no one was going to tell him there was anything wrong with that 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
I know this isn’t necessarily the thread for it, but I’d be curious if anyone else had either good caddy stories.

I have an "almost" caddy story.  In 1996 the US Senior Open was at Canterbury, in Cleveland.  I went to a practice round alone, which honestly was one of my favorite sports experiences of my life.  I don't remember how many holes I walked that day, but I know I walked 18 with Nicklaus, nine with Player, a few with Irwin, a few with Weiskopf, and quite a few others.  I got a lot of great autographs that day, including Nicklaus.

Anyway, while I was walking with Player, he sent his caddy back to the clubhouse to grab a club.  I was standing within about 5 feet of him and he asked, "who would like to take my bag?"  Like an idiot, I raised my hand and said I'd do it.  Unfortunately, another guy about 15 feet away was more aggressive and jumped over the rope and grabbed the bag.  I really wish I'd have just jumped in.  They guy carried Player's bag for about four holes.  I'd have loved to have done that.

On the bright side, one of the reasons I got Nicklaus's autograph that day was because I wasn't so pushy.  Obviously, everyone wanted him to sign, and at every hole they crowded around the spot where they would open up the rope.  I was amazed by how aggressive and pushy they were, and I'd decided that I wasn't going to jump into that fray.  One one hole I was just standing by the pivot point where the rope was attached (i.e., the end away from the opening) while everyone else was crowding around the opening to get Jack's autograph.  While they were all competing for position at the other end, he walked right up to me and I was able to ask for his autograph -- and exchange a few words -- with no one else around.  Walking 18 holes with Nicklaus for that practice round was a great experience.

One more autograph story from that practice round.  I was walking by, and saw Irwin walking from the clubhouse to the practice green.  I approached and asked for an autograph and he totally laid into me, telling me that I shouldn't bother him while he was working.  I apologized and turned and walked away.  I guess he realized he was being a prick because he actually chased me down about 20 yards away, apologized, and signed my program.  It was kind of an odd interaction.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2019, 10:03:10 AM »
StillAWarrior
Very cool stories. I’ve heard the same about Hale Irwin, but at least he worked to rectify the situation. Your description of what he first said to you sounds exactly like Don Johnson’s character’s response to the young grandchild in the movie TinCup.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »
Tiger's Win Costs FanDuel $2 Million as Sports Books Lose Big
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-14/tiger-s-win-costs-fanduel-2-million-as-sports-books-lose-big
FanDuel Group, which ran a refund promotion tied to its fantasy product, said it lost $2 million when Woods secured his first major victory in more than a decade. The Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook lost nearly $100,000, its worst result ever for the Masters, and William Hill U.S. lost “seven figures.”
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »

One more autograph story from that practice round.  I was walking by, and saw Irwin walking from the clubhouse to the practice green.  I approached and asked for an autograph and he totally laid into me, telling me that I shouldn't bother him while he was working.  I apologized and turned and walked away.  I guess he realized he was being a prick because he actually chased me down about 20 yards away, apologized, and signed my program.  It was kind of an odd interaction.
  On the autograph story front, I had my second interaction with Bo Jackson, the first being at Rich Harvest Farms during a rain storm in the half way house, and the second at Bolingbrook GC at a charity event.  I walked out to the range prior to the shotgun start, to find Bo as the only person on the range.  A few minutes later, the person who organized the charity event, who I'd known since I was a kid, came up to me to say hello.  Whiile we were talking, he saw Bo Jackson on the range, decided to ask Bo for an autograph for his grandson and said why don't I go with him and get one for my kids.  We walked over to Bo, introduced ourselves and asked if he'd sign our scorecards for the organizer's grandson and my kids.  At first he refused to sign anything, saying he's at the even to just play golf, not to sign autographs.  After the organizer told him he's the one who got the charity event off the ground, Bo signed the organizer's scorecard.  Then, with no one else around on the range, and with a lot of time to go before we were expected to get in our carts and go to the hole we each were to start on, Bo Jackson looks at me and tells me he won't sign my card for my kids.  Needless to say, I've not been a huge Bo Jackson fan since.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »
  On the autograph story front, I had my second interaction with Bo Jackson, the first being at Rich Harvest Farms during a rain storm in the half way house, and the second at Bolingbrook GC at a charity event.  I walked out to the range prior to the shotgun start, to find Bo as the only person on the range.  A few minutes later, the person who organized the charity event, who I'd known since I was a kid, came up to me to say hello.  Whiile we were talking, he saw Bo Jackson on the range, decided to ask Bo for an autograph for his grandson and said why don't I go with him and get one for my kids.  We walked over to Bo, introduced ourselves and asked if he'd sign our scorecards for the organizer's grandson and my kids.  At first he refused to sign anything, saying he's at the even to just play golf, not to sign autographs.  After the organizer told him he's the one who got the charity event off the ground, Bo signed the organizer's scorecard.  Then, with no one else around on the range, and with a lot of time to go before we were expected to get in our carts and go to the hole we each were to start on, Bo Jackson looks at me and tells me he won't sign my card for my kids.  Needless to say, I've not been a huge Bo Jackson fan since.

I’m not an autograph guy, and I never want to judge someone who is. I never had kids, so I am in no position to judge...if I had kids of my own, like you, I would probably be like a middle linebacker jockeying and bouncing until I find my path to the ball-carrier/autographer. And you seem very respectful and reverential of athlete’s personhood and space. You were definitely brought up humble and right.

That said, I think you have to withhold judgement on some of these athletes for not signing. So many have been burned by stories of sick children only to see unscrupulous memorabilia dealers screw with their images, likenesses, and autographs for personal gain. I know you are one of the good guys, and Bo should’ve seen that. Athletes can be a stubborn breed. If Bo saw his autograph as the object of joy that it should be, he wouldn’t hesitate to sign. Something tells me an experience or 500 he has had led to him associating the word “autograph” not with joy, but deception and someone else’s dollar profits. I wouldn’t take it personally.

I got turned off for good to autographs when I worked at a popular golf dome in the Chicago suburbs one winter. The owner/operator knew several Chicago Bears very well, and one day he breaks out this huge professionally done wall poster. He asked a couple of my co-workers to trace/copy Bear player signatures onto the poster, which was to be sold at a charity auction the next weekend.  When I approached one of them asking whether he was going to do that, he told me, “I guess ...(owner name) knows all of them anyway and they would probably be ok with it.” I advised him not to, that this is fraud. He kind of shrugged his shoulders and went “Meh.”  When I asked him what the charity was, he laughed and goes...”probably (owner’s name) pocket.”

I never liked or trusted this business owner, and I quit within a week. Immediately I thought back to how I always shunned seeking autographs as a kid despite loving both Cubs and Brewers baseball and going with my Dad to about 10 games each summer. This work incident sealed it for me.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »
Tiger wins the Masters.   The Hausers are leaving.    This week sucks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »

yeah, but i'm sure the port-o-lets at augusta don't stink, eyn'a?  or do they even let ya do that on the grounds ;D 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2019, 12:10:30 AM »
Story of the guy that bet $85k on Tiger and won $1.2m

He’s from Wisconsin, self-employed day trader.

Good read

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gambler-who-won-dollar12-million-on-tiger-woods-2019-masters-victory-i-had-never-placed-a-bet-on-sports-in-my-life
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »
Story of the guy that bet $85k on Tiger and won $1.2m

He’s from Wisconsin, self-employed day trader.

Good read

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gambler-who-won-dollar12-million-on-tiger-woods-2019-masters-victory-i-had-never-placed-a-bet-on-sports-in-my-life

I feel like that money will be gone as quickly as it came.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »
If Tiger makes that ace on 16, greatest moment in sports history?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »
I feel like that money will be gone as quickly as it came.

I’m not buying the story at all.
The guy is most likely a tax puppet for some member at Medallist Club where Tiger belongs down in Jupiter FL. My buddy caddies down there, sees Tiger at least once a week, and told me that the whole club bets gigantic amounts on everything from their own golf to horses to PGA Golf to College sports. One of these guys most likely played with TW recently and saw how ridiculously focused and tight his swing is getting and knew that if he even putts average this past week he wins.

Cmon, a guy who has never placed a sports wager in his life, has 2outstsnding student loans, car loans, and is losing at day trading all of a sudden puts down $85,000 on a golf tournament?

I mean if this story is real, a movie should be made tomorrow.

feedback