Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[Today at 10:44:37 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New MU Women’s Coach Megan Duffy  (Read 19751 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
New MU Women’s Coach Megan Duffy
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:32:06 AM »
That didn’t take long - Megan Duffy is the new Marquette Coach.

She played at Notre Dame and was most recently the head coach at Miami (OH).  She was an assistant for awhile at Michigan.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:37:31 AM by Marquette Fan »

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: New MU Women’s Coach Megan Duffy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »
That didn’t take long - Megan Duffy is the new Marquette Coach.

She played at Notre Dame and was most recently the head coach at Miami (OH).  She was an assistant for awhile at Michigan.

Not sure I can root for her
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »
So much irony that 19 days ago Miami/OH put out this video, extolling her:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5d8PnTv-AYM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5d8PnTv-AYM</a>

https://miamiredhawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=136

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
So much irony that 19 days ago Miami/OH put out this video, extolling her:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5d8PnTv-AYM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5d8PnTv-AYM</a>

https://miamiredhawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=136

Buzz 2.0

JK Welcome, Coach Duffy!  We've had some success with "Miami" coaches!

Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/4/10/womens-basketball-marquette-names-megan-duffy-head-wbb-coach.aspx

I found this line in the press release to be a little condescending.  I hope she signed off on it:

She was one of just four rookie head coaches in 2017-18 to collect at least 20 wins and the only female to accomplish the feat.

Have some patience, FFS.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 08:33:13 AM »
She seems like a great hire.  Similar to Coach Kieger in a lot of ways (age, position, experience), but with the added benefit of having played professionally.  Hopefully the quick hire keeps most of the incoming class on board.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
Did she eat Real Chili during the interviewing process?

It looks like MU was well-prepared and had a short list. Scholl reached into his ND roots for this one.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
Welcome to MU Coach Duffy!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
I found this line in the press release to be a little condescending.  I hope she signed off on it:

I think it depends how one reads it.  She is a Muffett disciple, so I took it as her way of saying she can do same or better than the dudes.  I still think what the ND coach said the other day violates employment law so I hope Duffy doesn’t go down that path with her words.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »
I think it depends how one reads it.  She is a Muffett disciple, so I took it as her way of saying she can do same or better than the dudes.  I still think what the ND coach said the other day violates employment law so I hope Duffy doesn’t go down that path with her words.

Can't we let people simply infer that?  I mean, even if there's no picture, it is pretty apparent that the new coach is indeed a woman.  After all, they use the pronoun "she" in the press release.

I don't think I am super sensitive about stuff like that, but that comment just smacks of "not bad for a girl!" or "We had several choices for head coach, but we chose the one that's a lady!" 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:33:04 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
She undoubtedly read the release before it went out.  She may have even wanted that point stressed. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Can't we let people simply infer that?  I mean, even if there's no picture, it is pretty apparent that the new coach is indeed a woman.  After all, they use the pronoun "she" in the press release.

I don't think I am super sensitive about stuff like that, but that comment just smacks of "not bad for a girl!" or "We had several choices for head coach, buy we chose the one that's a lady!"

Again, I think it depends on what the intent is.  She may of wanted that point emphasized.  I don't know, I can't pretend to be in her mind or the SID who wrote it, but it would be stunning to not have her read it and approve it before it went out.  I clearly get your POV by the way, and it is equally legitimate argument. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »
I don't think I am super sensitive about stuff like that

I *think* you're being extra sensitive about this one.  Just my opinion!

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »
Muffet has started a movement and Duffy supports her, simple as that. Welcome Coach Duffy!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
Kieger’s assistants deleted from the MU website.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »
Muffet has started a movement and Duffy supports her, simple as that. Welcome Coach Duffy!

I think the movement is fine, but you can't say what Muffet said the other day in most places, not without being in violation of employment hiring laws.  I'm surprised that hasn't also gotten traction, instead a lot of praise....maybe it is overall praise and ignoring the part about who she absolutely wouldn't hire. Interesting.  For the record, 89% of the people on my team are women currently, I hire who I think the best people are for the job.

At any rate, welcome to Coach Duffy.  Seems like a solid background.  Hope she can build on the previous coach's success.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
Welcome coach Duffy! Hopefully she can build on what Keiger started
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
I think the movement is fine, but you can't say what Muffet said the other day in most places, not without being in violation of employment hiring laws.  I'm surprised that hasn't also gotten traction, instead a lot of praise....maybe it is overall praise and ignoring the part about who she absolutely wouldn't hire. Interesting.  For the record, 89% of the people on my team are women currently, I hire who I think the best people are for the job.

At any rate, welcome to Coach Duffy.  Seems like a solid background.  Hope she can build on the previous coach's success.
I'm fine with them advocating for more women in their sport, I think it's a legitimate cause. Hopefully something can be implemented that most people can support as positive.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »

Really, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »
She sounds like a great hire, but I know people who know her and she loves ND of course, and may want to end up there.   But who knows?   She may just fall in love with Marquette! 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »

She aint running for office ya dipcrap!!
I applaud mcgraw fir understanding the position she is in and the security that she has to make the statements that she made.  The morons that want to wax about political correctness and law violations are the same hairy wet cats that fail to do anything about it.  Again i appkaud her for helping to blaze that trail however much those comments may help, she is doing the right thing.The people that want to bring up the legalities do our society harm. Chicos ur a loser
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 10:29:12 AM »

I think that’s pretty standard as the head coach assembles their own staff.  It will be interesting to see who Duffy hires as assistants.  I’m also interested in which MU assistants join Kieger at Penn State.

I like the hire.  Duffy started out coaching in the Big East under Kim Barnes Arico at St. John’s.  She has lots of coaching experience including the two years as a head coach.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
If our men’s coach would only leave for Duke and women’s coach would only leave for ND, then I think we are in pretty good shape from a coaching carousel perspective.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »

Duffy, Kieger, whatever.  The big question is what happens to Scott Merritt!