[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2019  (Read 46173 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Golf 2019
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2019, 04:18:47 AM »
Figured out the key to getting new clubs for cheap. Just buy the old model when the new model comes out.

Got myself a brand new Taylormade M3 3 wood for like a third of the cost. That thing is sweet.

You cracked the code for sure.
I managed a 2ndSwing in the Chicago suburbs. Golf Galaxy priced us out of business and copied our trade-in model, but now 2ndSwing is making a comeback. Anyhow...you can further find the holy grail by trading in your TM M3 3W when the 2021 model comes out, and purchase the 2020 version. Here’s the key...FAIRWAY WOODS HOLD THEIR VALUE because the models vary little from year to year, while drivers change design sometimes twice in a season. Manufacturers have versions of the “latest and greatest” drivers lined up in advance, and obsolescence is only a golf season away, so the 2019 driver you paid $500 for today will garner you $90 in trade next year if you are lucky, and will sell used at $180. Now, the flip side is that guys like you get the biggest “steals” on drivers by waiting a season.  A 2018 fairway wood you paid $100 for today could still possibly pull in $45-$50 for you in trade next year if it maintains its popularity. It will be put on “pre-swung” rack..lol...and sell for $90.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:55 PM »
long johnny gets a cart for the open.  i think he's off the sauce, but if gruden's his caddy, all bets are off.  in all seriousness however, there is an advantage to walking the course.  you see and feel the layout much better.  walking up to the greens for example.  walking the fairways, etc. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2019, 06:22:01 AM »
long johnny gets a cart for the open.  i think he's off the sauce, but if gruden's his caddy, all bets are off.  in all seriousness however, there is an advantage to walking the course.  you see and feel the layout much better.  walking up to the greens for example.  walking the fairways, etc.

Couldn’t agree more. However, when we’re talking chops/hacker golf...they feel the layout too, driving their GD carts everywhere they’re not supposed to be....near lips of bunkers, right up to the fringe of the green etc. Worst thing that ever happened to the game was the invention of the EZ-GO. That said, I truly feel for people who love the game, but physically can’t play it without use of a cart.

I’m not a big Brooks Koepka fan (he professed a love of horsemeat....er, see my username). However, I found his recent comments on how rounds of golf get boring for him around the 12th thru 15th holes as telling. The game needs to be open minded about growing itself and appealing to new generations....9 holes is too little...but 18 can be an eternity of 5.5 hours of slogging around....I agree with Brooks....new courses should experiment with 14-15 hole tracks to attract younger people to golf and grow the game.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2019, 08:23:28 AM »
Agree with nearly everything you say, NDC.   There have been multiple times where I have showed up at a new course and said I would like to walk and have the counter help look at me dumbfounded and then have to check if it is even permitted.   I love that moment.   As a confirmed walker even into my 50's, I think carts are a necessary evil.  Watching league hacks who are only there to drive their cart drunk detracts from my enjoyment of the game.    I think if golf marketed the health aspect of walking through the parkland, they would appeal to the younger generation more than they do.     From an architecture standpoint, carts have opened up vistas that are simply too hilly to walk.    And in places in Northern Michigan, it isn't just hilly, it is nearly a 1/2 mile from some greens to the next tees. 

As to Daly, I was always rooting for him to overcome his demons.   He failed.   And now he is paying the physical price for his follies.   I don't care if he walks or uses a cart.    I lament a world of talent pissed away. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
I think if golf marketed the health aspect of walking through the parkland, they would appeal to the younger generation more than they do. 

They have marketed it in such a way.  The problem is that walking in an actual natural environment, is cheaper, better for the environment, and not in a "country club" type atmosphere that many don't care for.

In many ways, golf really blew it 20 years ago with Tiger Woods.  They had a wonderful opportunity to diversify the game and make it more accessible.  And they often did the opposite.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
It isn't bold.    I just have a feeling that he is going to feed off being pissed at Chamblee and win another.   
On the Golf channel's 'Live from the PGA' tonight, Chamblee opened with (paraphrasing) I felt like Brooks was giving me the finger all day.   And I am ok with that.   

Only one round.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
Agree with nearly everything you say, NDC.   There have been multiple times where I have showed up at a new course and said I would like to walk and have the counter help look at me dumbfounded and then have to check if it is even permitted.   I love that moment.   As a confirmed walker even into my 50's, I think carts are a necessary evil.  Watching league hacks who are only there to drive their cart drunk detracts from my enjoyment of the game.    I think if golf marketed the health aspect of walking through the parkland, they would appeal to the younger generation more than they do.     From an architecture standpoint, carts have opened up vistas that are simply too hilly to walk.    And in places in Northern Michigan, it isn't just hilly, it is nearly a 1/2 mile from some greens to the next tees. 

As to Daly, I was always rooting for him to overcome his demons.   He failed.   And now he is paying the physical price for his follies.   I don't care if he walks or uses a cart.    I lament a world of talent pissed away.

Excellent points, especially true how modern course design actually requires carts.

As to good ole JD...
I will never forget watching the final round of the 1991 PGA at home with my Dad. My Dad goes, “he has to be nervous standing on 18.” Literally 5 seconds after playing partner Kenny Knox hit his drive and was leaning to the left trying to “English” it back on the fairway, Squeaky Medlin (John’s caddie) was already yelling “Kenny, Kenny” (move out the way)...as big John was already hovering his driver ready to fire...I didn’t have time to say, “Dad...now that is a confident man!” Predictably, the tournament was over after that tee shot. I don’t want to say it was sad how his career turned out...bc Big John had to be who he was...but yeah...u just wonder if he’d had a little guidance from a veteran...what could’ve been.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2019, 12:45:52 AM »

PGA, I will take Koepka.  Cool, damp, lush rough is no place for a fragile back.

Not a tough call.   Though it was not a coronation.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs on June 18.  Of course, right now I feel like my game is in shambles.  Ah well.  Maybe I find it, maybe I shoot 100.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
Went to Topgolf in Phoenix last Friday.  It was a lot of fun.  Looking forward to the location opening here in Cleveland later this year.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2019, 07:17:36 PM »
80.  Wearing a Marquette hat, the starter and the guy working the counter in the  pro shop both said 'Marquette, Dwyane Wade'.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2019, 10:08:21 PM »
96. Wore pants, cold front never came, three putted far too often. Slow greens for Grand Geneva.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
Nate Lashley's victory in Detroit is a future movie.  When you learn the back story, be prepared for a sudden head cold.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »
Went to Topgolf in Phoenix last Friday.  It was a lot of fun.  Looking forward to the location opening here in Cleveland later this year.

curious, which one?  phoenix or glendale?  the glendale locale is their newest-near the dome.  i have a place about 10 minutes from there and wondering if it's worth all the accolades

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2019, 10:06:15 PM »
anyone use one of these to golf yet?

https://www.grandgeneva.com/golf/golfboards

or one of these?

https://indiantree.apexprd.org/the-golf-course/segway-golf/

I’ve used them in Florida. Take 3-4 holes to get used to, but great after that. Less damage to the course, no need for paths, majorly would speed up play.

I hate carts though.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2019, 08:45:25 AM »
82 yesterday. Shortened up the backswing a bit and my ball striking was the best it's been in 2 years. I'll expect some major regression next time out. Putting let me down. Had the speed right but just couldn't find the lines.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2019, 08:51:06 AM »
anyone use one of these to golf yet?

https://www.grandgeneva.com/golf/golfboards

or one of these?

https://indiantree.apexprd.org/the-golf-course/segway-golf/

Just used them on Saturday for the first time at Highland Woods. Like was mentioned above, take a few holes to get used to but after that they're great. Speeds up pace of play. as you can ride them everyone outside of on tee boxes and greens. 2 cup holders and a cooler. Only down side is no shade but just need to reapply the sunscreen every 4 - 5 holes. I wish every course had them.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
82 yesterday. Shortened up the backswing a bit and my ball striking was the best it's been in 2 years. I'll expect some major regression next time out. Putting let me down. Had the speed right but just couldn't find the lines.

At the range last week, my back was a bit sore, felt like I was hunching over too much, straightened my back and stood more upright, suddenly my hands were tight to my body and I had a much more compact and repeatable swing instantly.  Still haven't played much this summer, but I was significantly straighter and consistent.  Played a quick 9 hole par 3 on Friday afternoon and was sticking low to mid irons.  Seemed too easy, worried my body will figure that out and let me down by mid Aug  :-\

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
Gotta say, my game has improved tremendously since I got fitted for new irons for the first time in my life.

Still can't hit anything but hybrid off the tee consistently, and my wedge play has all but disappeared on me this year. But from 80-200 yards my shots have been money.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
Gotta say, my game has improved tremendously since I got fitted for new irons for the first time in my life.

Still can't hit anything but hybrid off the tee consistently, and my wedge play has all but disappeared on me this year. But from 80-200 yards my shots have been money.

There are FAR worse ways to be.  I played to about an 8 in HS.  Short game was good, putting was great, but I really figured out my irons all the way through.  I just had no distance, my Uncle called me Loren Roberts  ::) which was a great compliment but sucked at 16-17 when you wanted to hit rockets.  But I was a mess on the tee.  I remember a summer where not only did I lose my driver control, my mental state got bad enough I lost my 3 wood, was hitting 5 wood off the tee.  But I was still shooting low 80s on the regular cause of the iron play.

Used to play with my Dad, his attorney, and the attorney's son.  Dude had a horrific swing, but had one of those bowling ball headed early 2000s Big Berthas and was 280 off the tee consistently.  He was terrible everywhere else and I golfed circles around him, but dammit I was so jealous of his game off the tee and general distance.  Cue a college growth spurt and discovering lifting, I have much more distance than I did back then, but Ive never regained my iron precision.  Careful what you wish for.  Not being able to play 3 times a week, minimum, during the summer probably contributes as well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »
I have no idea what happened to my play out of the bunkers. When I was playing regularly a few years ago, I actually welcomed misses into the bunkers (rather than over the green or into other more serious trouble) because I was a pretty good sand player. But after taking nearly 2 years off due to injuries, these last 2 years I have really, really sucked out of the sand. I keep reviewing my fundamentals and I think I'm doing it right, but my results are bad bordering on embarrassing.

Probably time to get a few refresher lessons.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2019, 01:09:22 PM »
I have no idea what happened to my play out of the bunkers. When I was playing regularly a few years ago, I actually welcomed misses into the bunkers (rather than over the green or into other more serious trouble) because I was a pretty good sand player. But after taking nearly 2 years off due to injuries, these last 2 years I have really, really sucked out of the sand. I keep reviewing my fundamentals and I think I'm doing it right, but my results are bad bordering on embarrassing.

Probably time to get a few refresher lessons.

Take 10 balls into a practice bunker and put them in a line.  Draw a line in the sand two inches behind the balls.  Take your stance.   Hit the line, not the balls.

feedback