collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Enrollment  (Read 19138 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Enrollment
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2019, 06:19:11 PM »
Maybe the case, but there are examples through history where people claimed absurd arguments were being made, fast forward a generation or two and they were not only not absurd, they came to be factually realized. 

...so therefore every absurd argument shall be taken seriously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »
...so therefore every absurd argument shall be taken seriously.

Nah, that would be absurd....or would it?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »
So, does anyone know what enrollment looks like for the MU
Class of 2023?

Found it.  2,057 have enrolled.

8,597 total undergrad enrollment. 
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »

Did you find that on the website?
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »
Did you find that on the website?

SPARK sent it to my godson. 
Ludum habemus.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2019, 10:25:46 AM »

Thanks Sir Lawrence!   

Seems like a pretty solid number.   Not as robust as the record 2,162 that enrolled last year, but my understanding is that they're generally happy with anything over 2000.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »

Many high schools have gotten rid of class rank. 

But the rest of your post is how TAMU labelled it.

My kids high school does not use class rank.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
My kids high school does not use class rank.

the elite prep schools out east got rid of class rank years ago.  Colleges have been going away from using class rank in their admissions decisions. My brother went to a very strong high school and didn't get into his top choice because of class rank - 3.5, 29 ACT. Meanwhile, some of his friends at weaker high schools did get into that same college thanks to having much higher class ranks.  Class rank penalized kids at highly competitive high schools.

I don't know if this is still the case, but I know Madison used to reject any WI HS student outside of the top 20% or something like that. That would penalize a high achieving student at MUHS ranked in the top 30% whereas a kid at Baraboo with lesser credentials but a high class rank would benefit.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:24 PM »
the elite prep schools out east got rid of class rank years ago.  Colleges have been going away from using class rank in their admissions decisions. My brother went to a very strong high school and didn't get into his top choice because of class rank - 3.5, 29 ACT. Meanwhile, some of his friends at weaker high schools did get into that same college thanks to having much higher class ranks.  Class rank penalized kids at highly competitive high schools.

I don't know if this is still the case, but I know Madison used to reject any WI HS student outside of the top 20% or something like that. That would penalize a high achieving student at MUHS ranked in the top 30% whereas a kid at Baraboo with lesser credentials but a high class rank would benefit.

UW-Madison stopped doing that years ago.  It was more of an automatic acceptance of anyone in the top 20% with those outside of that being put into a review however.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2019, 11:08:34 PM »
Marquette to go test optional with 2020 class.

https://www.marquette.edu/news-center/2019/marquette-adopts-test-optional-policy.php

“Our Catholic, Jesuit mission calls on us to keep a Marquette education accessible to a diverse population of students,” President Michael R. Lovell said. “

Excuse me President Lovell. Are you on Pluto or something?

How does setting an all-in rack rate of $50,000+ per year for a Marquette education make it "accessible to a diverse population of students?"

I'm waiting and hope to hear from you about that one. Until then, don't come to me about standardized testing.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
I’m sure Marquette has a strong scholarship program for disadvantaged students. They’re not paying list price.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2019, 11:15:50 AM »
Excuse me President Lovell. Are you on Pluto or something?

How does setting an all-in rack rate of $50,000+ per year for a Marquette education make it "accessible to a diverse population of students?"

I'm waiting and hope to hear from you about that one. Until then, don't come to me about standardized testing.

Marquette's student population is more diverse than ever in its history dgies.  And I trust you appreciate that MU's tuition is comparable to other similar institutions.  It also has a near 'modern time' record for 'first in family' students.  Many believe that helps to fulfill the mission.

As has been alluded to, the rich and the disadvantaged are able to make it work financially.  It's the middle class that struggles to meet the financial burden these days.  It's a very different school from the days we were there.  In some ways better; in some ways not so much.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
Marquette's student population is more diverse than ever in its history dgies.  And I trust you appreciate that MU's tuition is comparable to other similar institutions.  It also has a near 'modern time' record for 'first in family' students.  Many believe that helps to fulfill the mission.

As has been alluded to, the rich and the disadvantaged are able to make it work financially.  It's the middle class that struggles to meet the financial burden these days.  It's a very different school from the days we were there.  In some ways better; in some ways not so much.

Brother Glow, Marquette did a lot for me and I'm very grateful. I've repaid my benefit year in and year out, but the notion that Marquette is accessible doesn't fly when the university is pricing itself way out of the market for most middle class families. Many of those middle class families built and supported Marquette over the years.

I would note that from a sociological and demographic standpoint, I'm sure you are probably right. And, I agree that pricing is "comparable."

But as I told a Marquette representative several years ago when I raised this issue with him, "I am not Comparable University. I am Marquette."

I'm delighted about the first in family trend and the mission of the university in its purist form is the same as it was. But for a middle class student whose family believes in what Marquette is..... the University of Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Tennessee etc., is slowly becoming a viable option given the comparable cost of Marquette -- even discounted -- against the cost of a good quality in-state institution.

Ultimately, Marquette is a "reach" for the finances of most middle class folks in the United States. If that's what the elders of the university want, then it's their university and go for it. We who have supported it year in and year out and who may be subsidizing what I think is the absurd tuition increases will then have to ask, "now what?"

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Enrollment numbers don't look good for the fall.  It will look good quantity wise, but they had to offer more than they were expecting to get them to show.  Safe to say they missed the mark this year.