Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Anonymous Scoop (not very surprising) : DJames  (Read 8018 times)

scooper

Anonymous Scoop (not very surprising) : DJames
« on: November 30, 2006, 06:22:10 PM »
I am very close with someone from Marquette basketball's inner circle and they said barring something unforseen and extraordinary, DJames will definately be gone after this year.  Guess we know why Crean recruited an extra player for next year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
However
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »
I have no reason to doubt you and assume it's at least 50-50 it could happen.

However, I would add this one note from another board where I am welcome with open arms.   ;D

http://mb33.scout.com/fmarquettefrm8.showMessage?topicID=14280.topic

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Anonymous Scoop (not very surprising) : DJames
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
barring something unforseen and extraordinary

Right, as a pre-season #1 or #2 college PG in the country you're pretty much going to go pro unless things go bad during the season.

Chicos, I think it's higher than 50-50.  If he continues as he has been, and keeps getting the media (which TC will help with), he'll be off.  More like 85-15.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:45:02 PM »
I'd agree with 50-50. 

On one side, you have the hype machine which is currently beyond high gear for DJ.  At this point, he could probably mail in the next 30 games, and still be one of the top 60 guys in the draft on his past record, and hype alone.  The only real debate now is draft position, early or late 1st round, early or late 2nd round (if he flopped the next 30 games.)

On the other hand, he's a good kid and from all reports, has a good head on his shoulders.  There's some real love coming from Crean, and the MU community .. getting MU games on the radio and now on TV in Richmond earns a lot of points.   That, plus the desire to go higher in the draft, plus a promise of next year being in the hunt for a National Championship, just might tip the scales to make him stay one more year.

I know he's a completely different player than Diener and Novak, but imagine it doesn't help to see two of MU's finest riding the pines in the NBA, for someone who's competitive, someone who'll argue with the coach to get in for those last 58 seconds of a game that's already decided, even though he just rolled his ankle.

Just saying.  Maybe 50-50 isn't right, as it's more likely he'll go than stay.  51-49.  ;)

SoCalstu09

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 08:06:34 PM »
Take into account the draft class that he would be coming in with. While 2007 is an awesome draft of bigs (Oden, Durant, Noah), PGs are hard to come by. DJ would definately be the first PG picked up by a team.

If he came out in 2008, with OJ Mayo (1st overall recruit), DJ would fall in the PG rankings. What's in his best interest?

Leave or stay, DJ will continue to be great press for Marquette.
"I think the world is run by C students."- Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 08:38:42 PM »
even though he just rolled his ankle.

Argh!  Watch the 4 minutes of Duke game after that happened again.  Doris corrected and reported that it was just a cramp.  I'll cut the video later an post it if you like :)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 08:53:22 PM »
I've heard what was said.  I also saw DJ get hurt, go down, and clearly put his hands on his ankle .. then later get up hopping.   In previous cramp episodes, DJ's kneading/pounding his muscle(s). 

Additionally, Rosiak thinks it was an ankle "The Golden Eagles even withstood being without James for almost two minutes after he rolled his right ankle, but he returned late and said afterward he was fine."

Wasn't Doris commenting on a Dominic Jones character, anyhow?  ::)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 09:04:47 PM »
This DraftExpress.com article says "sources close to the situation say something very unusual would have to happen to keep James at MU

They also have him as #11

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1482

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
DJ Turning Pro...
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 09:40:46 PM »
after this season would be the biggest mistake of his life. Doesn't matter if he's a lottery pick or not. The pro game is brutal for 5'10" guards. Before everyone takes a bite out of my arse, understand that I think he's one hell of a talent, but, certainly would stand a better chance in the Association with more collegiate experience, preferably 2 additional years. While A.I. has made it, not many other small men have. Remember, Butch Lee, Warrior great, All-American, Final Four MVP, Olympian, etc., etc.? Didn't do stink in the NBA or make much $$. Hell, Diener doesn't even get off the pines.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:42:48 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 10:08:05 PM »
If guys could get more experience without risk of injury, then maybe.  But otherwise, taking advantage of guaranteed millions will not go down as the biggest mistake in DJs life.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 11:16:24 PM »
1.) weclome scooper!! thanks for sharing (whoever you are)!!!

2.) I agree with the post.. barring anything significant, dj is gone.  it's not a matter of whether he thinks he could benefit by staying another year (there's almost always a benefit of that).  the only things I could see holding him back are physical (injury) or sentimental (wants to get a championship or something).  these are slim when put up against the business decision of going pro.  that and dj's competitive fire.. he's got to be itching to take it to the elite of the elite and get it on.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 11:42:59 PM »
from what i have heard this source is as bunk as buying a bag and having it be oregano.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 11:54:48 PM »
from what i have heard this source is as bunk as buying a bag and having it be oregano.

From what I hear...you're exaggerating.  James may not be focusing on it now, but if he gets to the end of the season, and is projected to get guaranteed money he'd give it a long hard thought.  Who wouldn't?

A bag of what? :P

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 12:00:54 AM »

From what I hear...you're exaggerating.  James may not be focusing on it now, but if he gets to the end of the season, and is projected to get guaranteed money he'd give it a long hard thought.  Who wouldn't?

A bag of what? :P

unless it is top 10, he probably aint jumping. and with the class of big coming out, it isnt a good chance of that.

and the bag would be the giddy gow!

rock - the disks are rolling too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 12:42:50 AM by rocky_warrior »
But I like to throw handfuls...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: DJ Turning Pro...
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 07:35:44 AM »
While A.I. has made it, not many other small men have.

They haven't?

TJ Ford (lottery), Josh Paul (lottery), Jameer Nelson (what'd you say about Deiner not getting of the pine?), Nate Robinson...That's off the top of my head and just in the last four years I believe. While each of those guys excel in one area or another, DJ probably has a better combination of strength, quickness, leaping ability and athleticism than any of those four. Oh by the way, the shot appears to be coming along nicely as well.

The NBA will be calling for PG's in this draft as in every draft - the prime options appear to be Ronald Steele or DJ, and DJ is a much better NBA prospect so there will be demand for his services.

I have been hearing this same argument about James for the better part of a year now. Eerily similar to the arguments made about Wade a few years back...too small for his position and doesn't have a good enough outside shot. Those who continue to cling to this type of wishful thinking should probably prepare themselves for the inevitable and enjoy this season.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »
and don't forget Kyle Lowry and Jordan Farmar.........both went in the 1st round last season and DJ is better than each of them.  Farmar is bigger than DJ, but Lowry wasn't (though he's very strong).  There's a place for small guards in the NBA -- now moreso than in the last 30 years.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 08:15:42 AM »
While A.I. has made it, not many other small men have.

They haven't?

TJ Ford (lottery), Josh Paul (lottery), Jameer Nelson (what'd you say about Deiner not getting of the pine?), Nate Robinson...That's off the top of my head and just in the last four years I believe. While each of those guys excel in one area or another, DJ probably has a better combination of strength, quickness, leaping ability and athleticism than any of those four. Oh by the way, the shot appears to be coming along nicely as well.

The NBA will be calling for PG's in this draft as in every draft - the prime options appear to be Ronald Steele or DJ, and DJ is a much better NBA prospect so there will be demand for his services.

I have been hearing this same argument about James for the better part of a year now. Eerily similar to the arguments made about Wade a few years back...too small for his position and doesn't have a good enough outside shot. Those who continue to cling to this type of wishful thinking should probably prepare themselves for the inevitable and enjoy this season.

you a white sox fan naivin?  cause josh paul was a backup catcher for them a few years back.  however chris paul sure was drafted in the lottery...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 08:39:30 AM »
you a white sox fan naivin?  cause josh paul was a backup catcher for them a few years back.  however chris paul sure was drafted in the lottery...

You know what's funny? While in the shower immediately after posting this I realized I had written that and for the life of me could not figure out where it came from or who exactly Josh Paul was.

A brief case of Clara Nightengale syndrome. Anyone? Anyone?

(spiral modified to fixed the quote code exiting prematurely)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:33:26 AM by spiral97 »

Archie

• Walk-On
Seinfeld
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 11:45:11 AM »

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »
I tell you what these strings really get under my skin.   I continue to love the ones about DJ coming back because he loves MU and wants to win a title.  I guess Wade didnt?   Those are points that I am sure were considerations but when contemplating signing a guaranteed contract for around $10 million.  They are very unimportant for that individual and the rest of his life.  Have they hurt Wade?  Have they hurt Chris Paul.  I think the reason people are so irrational in this argument is the fact that 90% or more of the people on this board are white males making 6 figures that came from upper middle class backgrounds.  Take the perspective of a young black man growing up in subsidized apartments with his mother living in Richmond, Indiana.  ( a very tough town).  Most likely no one in his family has ever made more than $50,000 in a single year and chances are no where near that.  He can get ten million dollars guaranteed no matter what happens the day after he signs that contract.  He can invest that money in GIC's, CD's or something incredibly secure and make $500,000 a year in interest for the rest of his life.  Buy his mother a couple hundred thousand dollar home get his degree in time if he never dribbles another basketball after signing that contract.  Now in comparison the risk of coming back is injury, poor performance,God forbid a Ben Wilson or Bryan Pata situation or any other remote possiblity whereby that $10 million might not happen.  All that for staying one more year and chasing a title?  Are you freaking kidding me!!  Yes those things happening are remote but in no way are they worth the risk!! This kid will be told by Tom Crean and those in his inner circle will tell him to do what will put the rest of Dominic James's life and his family in a finacially secure situation until he dies at some old age.  That is to leave now.  Just like Wade did.  A title or another year at college are worth nothing in comparison to $10 million.  Now chances are he will not get hurt and will sign a second contract in the NBA for another 30-40-50 million and maybe in his older age will contemplate what if he had stayed that junior year.  But it is not worth the risk.  You only live once and you never know what might happen.  Someone offers $10 million guaranteed and you are stupid not to grab it quicker than a cobra.  Fans on the internet can come up with all the stupid rationalizations that they choose for why, but they are just that stupid rationalizations.  I love to watch DJ, I watched him numerous times in HS and love what he has done for MU and with that I would tell him the same as Crean and the rest of the MU inner circle will and that is to seize this opportunity that only 30 people in the world get every year wiht no guarantee that that opportunity will ever arise again. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 12:08:38 PM by Harrison »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 02:37:50 PM »
As far as I am aware, there were two very important differences between DWades and DJames decision.   ;)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 02:47:08 PM »
TWO? oh boy, here we go.