Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What type of results would you prefer from a coach?

National Champ amidst mediocrity
Perennial Contender that never wins it all

Author Topic: Would you rather...  (Read 5768 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Would you rather...
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »
This is so perfectly stated. You ALWAYS take the National Championship. I for one, could live with whatever happened after that with the program if they reached the Pinnacle again, once more in my lifetime.

LOL.  No you couldn't.  No way in hell you could live with whatever happened next.  You especially.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 04:25:21 PM »
I think the Bottom line is why play the lottery if there is No Hope of winning.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
We played this game a few years ago:

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54196.0

The rules were a little different, it was a choice between 1 championship and no NCAA appearances for the rest of your life or an NCAA appearance with occasional deep runs and no championships for the rest of your life.

Honestly, I hate either option.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »
Gene Keady.
Lou Henson.
Lou Carnesecca
Rick Barnes.
Dr. Tom Davis
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:20:17 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 05:24:45 PM »
Mark Few.

Great example. I would take 25 years of Mark Few (to date) over a one-hit wonder followed by sustained mediocrity.

The benefit of this is that, although you never end up actually winning it all, you always believe you have a legit chance, and you probably have a bunch of Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eights and maybe a couple Final Fours along the way. In other words, you have real hope.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:26:42 PM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 05:29:51 PM »
We played this game a few years ago:

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54196.0

The rules were a little different, it was a choice between 1 championship and no NCAA appearances for the rest of your life or an NCAA appearance with occasional deep runs and no championships for the rest of your life.

Honestly, I hate either option.

The thing with option 2 is that you never know you won't win it all, because you're always good enough to have a legit shot. That creates sustained fan interest, which is worth a lot.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »
Option 2 (perennial contender) and it’s not even close. Why would I care to harp on about a championship won 42 years ago vs actually enjoying the team year in and year out?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
Option 2 (perennial contender) and it’s not even close. Why would I care to harp on about a championship won 42 years ago vs actually enjoying the team year in and year out?

Now, if I am on my death bed or over the age of 75, I'm going with option 1.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 05:54:00 PM »
LOL.  No you couldn't.  No way in hell you could live with whatever happened next.  You especially.

Yes, I could..that's all i want again is a Natty. I would turn down my passion several notches if that happened again. That's reaching the pinnacle. I am the same way with the Packers...once they won that Superbowl, I  still watch the games, but whatever happens happens now. It doesn't affect me nearly like it used to. Why? because they got that Super Bowl title.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 06:19:56 PM »
5 years. Zero conference titles. Zero tourney wins. That qualifies as an example

So you’d rather be SLU over the last 10 years than MU?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »
So you’d rather be SLU over the last 10 years than MU?
I didn’t realize our bar is set by a program like SLU
No Finish Line

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »

Pilarz and Scoop decided that many years ago.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »

Coach K just said Duke was lucky and that he's been lucky and unlucky in the tournament before.  Weird, since luck doesn't exist.  Eh Nickel?   ;)

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Pilarz and Scoop decided that many years ago.
Zzzzziiing!!!
No Finish Line

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 06:39:05 PM »
Coach K just said Duke was lucky and that he's been lucky and unlucky in the tournament before.  Weird, since luck doesn't exist.  Eh Nickel?   ;)
Yes the ball that’s halfway down coming out was lucky. Had they won by 19 I doubt he’d be saying they were lucky
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
Yes the ball that’s halfway down coming out was lucky. Had they won by 19 I doubt he’d be saying they were lucky

You said no luck existed.....back tracking it would appear.

And luck had nothing to do with HOW we played the other day, it had to do with WHO we played.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »

SLU has 2 regular season and 2 conference tourney titles since 2013, and 2 sex scandals.  Is that the standard, feast or famine? Trophies intermingled with 4 losing seasons?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:46:12 PM by Billy Hoyle »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 06:48:41 PM »
SLU has 2 regular season and 2 conference tourney titles since 2013, and 2 sex scandals.  Is that the standard, feast or famine? Trophies intermingled with 4 losing seasons?
I could care less what SLU has or hasn't done. I have no idea why you think they’re relevant to this topic. I stand by what I said. By MU standards the last five years have been mediocre. Feel free to disagree.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
I could care less what SLU has or hasn't done. I have no idea why you think they’re relevant to this topic. I stand by what I said. By MU standards the last five years have been mediocre. Feel free to disagree.

Wouldn't it be the last 6 years, the one where Buzzard was picked to win the Big East but finished 6th and not even a NIT bid.  Wouldn't that be part of the clock you speak of?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »
You said no luck existed.....back tracking it would appear.

And luck had nothing to do with HOW we played the other day, it had to do with WHO we played.
Nah that’s not what I said. I said sports aren’t defined by luck and a lopsided outcome has nothing to do with luck
No Finish Line

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:35 PM »

I’m asking if that’s the standard you’d prefer: some conference titles and first round wins with losing seasons mixed in?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:53:06 PM by Billy Hoyle »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 06:53:32 PM »
I’m asking if that’s the standard you’d prefer, siomevconference titles and first round wins with losing seasons mixed in.
I want more than what we’ve gotten the past five years
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
Nah that’s not what I said. I said sports aren’t defined by luck and a lopsided outcome has nothing to do with luck

Nope...this is what you said

Sports isn’t luck. Sorry to break that to you it’s not. And never has getting destroyed in competition been the result of luck. Ever. In the history of sports. Ever. One time.

Facts.

Your boy had his ass handed to him in the biggest game of his career. Again. For the second time he’s appeared in the tourney.

Facts.

THEN you said AND....

Just own it.  Luck has plenty to do with sports.  Sorry you were wrong.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 07:01:21 PM »
I want more than what we’ve gotten the past five years

You mean the past 6 years, right?  That last year Buzzard was coaching MU when we were picked 1st (that's an expectation) and we finished 6th (that's not meeting expectations) and went to no post season tournament (also not meeting expectation).

You do mean past 6 years....or does your calendar only go back 5 years?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
Nope...this is what you said

THEN you said AND....

Just own it.  Luck has plenty to do with sports.  Sorry you were wrong.
Sports isn’t luck. Your point that I refuted was suggesting we had our ass handed to us because; crapshoot. You were wrong.
No Finish Line

feedback